Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              831      
       833              1081       1082       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.832 #1 · p.832 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Noct Nikkor on M240 ....

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:27 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.832 #2 · p.832 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

first one is stunning Paul!

Dudes, my mint+ M9 is hitting the market, along with about a 100 other ones. But if anyone is in the market for a nice M9, there is no nicer one around, I assure you. Clicks are virgin territory at 1500 maybe? more details after I get it prepped for sale. I have to run it through the cleanup shop, get the dash slicked up, tires checked out, you know that sort of thing. Wait, I said M9, not M3. Nevermind on the cleanup shop and tires. :-) This baby just needs a good home...

Nov 18, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.832 #3 · p.832 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Doug - what will you be replacing the M9 with?

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.832 #4 · p.832 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, I am thinking Kodak Instamatic...

I was very torn between trying to keep my M9, and add an MM, or just sell my M9 and replace with a M Type 240. Because I really like my camera. In the end, availability opened up for the M240, just barely. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and order it. I doubt my M9 will sell before it gets here, so I could still reverse my decision. But I rather doubt that will happen once I get my hands on it...

I sold a couple of Nikon lenses to free up some photog money to be able to do this, but I still want to move my M9 to take out of pocket money out of this trade.

So, looks like I'll be moving on to the new M by the end of the week!

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:51 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.832 #5 · p.832 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Congrats. I have a good buddy that has one and loves it...

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.832 #6 · p.832 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Good luck for the sale of your M9 Doug. If I may give you my opinion, I think it would be better to be a little more patient. The Sony cameras have affected Leica sales and even here in Thailand the dealer called me twice to sell me the M for the cheap price of 9000$. I'm sure many people cancelled their preorders. This will also affect the price of the used M9 on the market. It's only a matter of weeks until people realize RF lens capabilities of the Sony cameras are bogus. In the meanwhile the M still have some issues I would like to see resolved like high iso banding and still falling strap lugs. I also would like to buy the M at Leica MRSP of 7000$ and not pay a rarity tax of 2000$. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:50 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.832 #7 · p.832 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Good luck for the sale of your M9 Doug. If I may give you my opinion, I think it would be better to be a little more patient. The Sony cameras have affected Leica sales and even here in Thailand the dealer called me twice to sell me the M for the cheap price of 9000$. I'm sure many people cancelled their preorders. This will also affect the price of the used M9 on the market. It's only a matter of weeks until people realize RF lens capabilities of the Sony cameras are bogus. In the meanwhile the M still
...Show more

Edward.

I would not say that the the RF capabilities of the Sony A7 and A7r are bogus. That is a bit extreme. It would be more appropriate to say that they are not nearly as capable as hoped particularly with a large number of WA M RF lenses. We are still determining the extent of this and may find that there are in fact a fair number of WA M RF lenses that may work reasonably well with the cameras though they are not all Leica.

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 02:57 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.832 #8 · p.832 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Rich, I think "reasonably well" is the right wording here. I have looked at ZM 50/2 samples and resized them to M9 resolution and I can clearly see a substantial difference even in the image borders, let alone corners. My ZM 25 will not work unless I crop it to APS-H size, at least. So for guys coming from Sony Nex and other crop sensor cameras, they might not mind the smearing as the price to pay for a cheap FF alternative to Leica. But I really doubt a Leica user will be really satisfied with this performance. Just my opinion. I know that I'm not convinced at all.

At the moment, I am keeping my M9 and waiting for the M240P hoping that it would have all these small issues resolved.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:10 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.832 #9 · p.832 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Hi Rich, I think "reasonably well" is the right wording here. I have looked at ZM 50/2 samples and resized them to M9 resolution and I can clearly see a substantial difference even in the image borders, let alone corners. My ZM 25 will not work unless I crop it to APS-H size, at least. So for guys coming from Sony Nex and other crop sensor cameras, they might not mind the smearing as the price to pay for a cheap FF alternative to Leica. But I really doubt a Leica user will be really satisfied with this performance. Just
...Show more

Edward,

But we may be finding that some Voigtlander lenses as an example may perform better than many of the Leica and some of the Zeiss lenses. Additionally, some of the Leica and some of the Zeiss lenses may actually perform better than you think. I am not suggesting that people rush out and purchase them but there is some evidence that among others the very costly Leica 21mm f1.4 Summilux ASPH and the Leica f4 WATE 16-18-21mm lenses as examples may perform much better than other Leica M RF lenses.

Rich

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:18 AM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.832 #10 · p.832 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nicosia, Cyprus - Turkish side.

Nicosia, the Capital - Greek Side

Andrew

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

3D.Doug
• • •
p.832 #11 · p.832 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, well, I guess we'll see. I think a lot of people that do Leica that want to play with the Sonys, do it as a secondary or third system, not just their only system. I know of one or two that do this anyway.

Myself, as good as Sony may be, I have pretty well committed to Leica, and to Nikon for my photographic needs at this point. That's not to say something couldn't change, but I don't see myself bailing on Leica, because of the fun I have with Rangefinder, and the quality results I have achieved with them.

I am aware that there have been both proponents, and opponents of the new M. I have tried to do my research putting aside to many comments, and focusing on the images. Now service wise, we know that there can be issues. But then so did Nikon have issues with the D800s, so the problem is not unique to Leica.

I have given them a long time to get this camera's introduction leveled out. I am hoping that I will be fortunate. Maybe I will wind up hanging onto my M9 a while and make sure I am in love with the new M.

My price was in line with Leica recommended retail. of $6950 here in US. So, that part is ok. I made up my mind, I was not going to pay a premium for one. no way.

Edward, congrats on 1000 likes!!!

Edited on Nov 19, 2013 at 03:32 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:25 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.832 #12 · p.832 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great stuff all! Thanks for the comments

liyuanayu welcome! that cv 35 1.2 II is a fine lens, I love mine

zhangyue fine disney shots, lovely colors that balance well with subjects, how do you like the 50lux as a do all carry lens, I was looking into buy one

Edwards very nice shot w/planar, what are the red string like objects in the air?

Very nice Paul, sell me that lens! PM me lol (forget it saw the price )

Andrew! Those shots are awesome! Love the candies! makes me want to break to the skittles, even though skittles would do no just to those! Love the statues also, very accurate colors and 3d like pop

Phil

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:28 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.832 #13 · p.832 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Rich, I agree that we still have to wait and see more scientific tests before we draw any conclusions. You're right that some lenses may work well, we will see.
Doug, I am not really in the opponents camp, but I would like to see some improvements before I pay this kind of money. Besides the mentioned banding and strap lugs, I would like to see a more uptodate EVF with faster refresh rates. I'm sure an M240P or M240.2 is in the works. I wish you the best of luck for your M and really look forward to see your photos with it. And many thanks, I didn't realize I have so many likes! Always feels good to be liked

Phil, thanks for your comments. These are hot air balloons that people in Thailand traditionally release in the thousands at several religious occasions.

Paul, love the second shot.

Andrew, beautiful photos from Cyprus. Nice to see both Turkish and Greek sides, even though if there was any fairness in this world, there should be only a Greek side.

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.832 #14 · p.832 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Excellent set Andrew! Great variety you are posting lately….

Edward - you are spot on with your comments regarding the A7. I think many people are overly optimistic regarding it's performance but time will tell I suppose. There have been a few really nice looking images but far more of poor quality. I'm sure the performance with the native mount lenses will be great but they make for quite a large camera/lens combo. I know for certain I won't be in a rush to buy one…. PS - are there really still strap lug issues with the M240?

I also stumbled across a really inspirational street (mainly) photographer. He often shoots Leica with off-camera flash for some really neat effects. Some of you (Allen?) may have already heard of him…

www.satoki.com (source of the image above)

Nov 19, 2013 at 03:58 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.832 #15 · p.832 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Well, the thing is Edward, there's always something in the works, no matter when you buy. I didn't really "need" a camera. It's more wanted it. I may regret not going for the MM and keeping my M9. But again, investment wise, that was just a bit more than I wanted to bite off right now.

Interesting shots there Gary.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:18 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.832 #16 · p.832 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, very nice shots from this unknown to me photographer. Regarding the A7, I doubt very much that any RF lens from 50 and lower will give us the kind of performance we get from our Leicas at infinity, even if some will be more acceptable than others. However, for non landscape photos, I think the A7 will work quite well, and might even have an advantage over the Leicas. As far as I'm concerned, Ron's test shots are plenty of evidence of what to expect. As for the M240 strap lugs, there is evidence it is a design weakness rather than an assembly blunder. The lugs seem to be not strong enough to support heavier lenses, especially SLR lenses: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/306257-strap-lugs-still-issue.html

Doug, I'm very sorry to have somewhat given the impression to question your decision to get the M240. That was definitely not my intention. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten one already if it wasn't for the ridiculous pricing locally, even with the small quirks.

Nov 19, 2013 at 04:36 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.832 #17 · p.832 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, they look very interesting. I think I've seen some of his work before and although its not really my cup of tea I can see a lot of street photogs loving those shots.

Edward, $9000 for the M is ridiculous. I don't blame you for waiting, even without the quirks I don't think I'd pay that much for an M when they should be going for $7700. In fact I've seen a few here on ebay Australia going for 7000 LNIB, if you contact the seller directly I'm sure they'll be happy to negotiate it for 6500 cash.

Nov 19, 2013 at 05:38 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.832 #18 · p.832 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, About work flaw, I did use VSCO film preset as starting point for those street portrait. (The face mask just regular profile with tweak) Mostly start from Portra 160/400/800 or Fuji ProH160/400. But I always do individual color tweaking as mentioned before, I try to create something match my visualized image. It could go anywhere depend on mood

I don't really like VSCO whitening the whole image, or too film, so I usually adjust their preset curve to have deeper black for better impact on image, less moody. For people, I always tweak hue, saturation, lumi for RED, ORANGE, YELLOW. and also touch blue, green to give whole image some color tint....I am not shooting absolutely accuracy but something pleasing myself. Leica M9's color is great in that sense, you can either love or hate it, but you can't deny it is special, especially after using so many different camera...

I am not surprised to see and totally agree with you about impact of this Sony A on Leica, not everyone want a rangefinder, and biggest reason goes to Leica M for small high quality FF kit is just gone....

Nov 19, 2013 at 06:56 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.832 #19 · p.832 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Paul, Both looks great. What aperture? BTW did you get permission from Llyod Chambers to shoot 2nd one
Andrew, Leica M is in the right hand, I envy you can go world wide with loved Leica, a match in the heaven.
Gary, I love them. especially #1, great image.

Phil, I have fixed 50lux on my M9 for a while. Nowdays, for other focal length, I use R with D700 a lot more. I have very mixed feeling about this 50lux before but now seems it is grow on me, and we seems be able to keep along with each other since I dropped it on rock a while ago. It climb up to the top 1 50mm lens on my list for its overall IQ and handling. I certainly will recommend this lens to anyone, actually, I can't think of any leica M lens can be recommended higher than this one overall.

3D.D, good luck on your sell, and look forward to your M240 image.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:12 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.832 #20 · p.832 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Bogota, Colombia.

M9 + Voigtlander 35 1.2 Nokton.

Nov 19, 2013 at 07:19 AM
       833              1081       1082       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell