FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              820      
       822              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.821 #1 · p.821 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

A lot of great photos as usual, I've been to lazy lately with comments and resorted to the like button instead.

I "fixed" my 28 Cron the other day by unscrewing the screws in the front ring and adjusting the ring before locking it down again and it seem to have worked. Lets's see for how long it lasts...

Here is from a walk the other day where the theme became fallen tress. I used the 28 Cron and the 50 Lux but in this selection everyone is with the 28 Cron.

Jan 01, 2014 at 07:32 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.821 #2 · p.821 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joakim love the conversion on these

How are you liking the cron? I'm thinking of picking one up in a week or so

Phil

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:35 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.821 #3 · p.821 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Sister shot from my shot yesterday. Not as much perspective as the first one, but still has character when processed similarly to yesterday's file. Though I will admit, I used different processes for each.. I think it has a lot of things for your eye to wonder around looking at. That to me is part of a really pleasing image. Well, it can be. Light helps with that too.

I added no sharpness to this file, I actually used minus clarity to dial it down some. It was actually to sharp to begin with.

MM/35 Lux 1/1000th ISO 320, f 5.7

Jan 01, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Fursan
• •
p.821 #4 · p.821 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

djarth wrote:
Hi all,

It's not like eye p;opping sharp like my 5D3, some of the shots i see here when in focus has an organic look, is that the character of the camera?

Justin

Just bad cameras..that's all.

Best to you all and your loved ones for the future.

Kindest regards.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:16 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.821 #5 · p.821 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

In my own Leica experience, I find that my increasing comfort with a lack of "tack" sharpness in some (though not all) images arises from the fact that I am using very fast (f/1.4) primes wide open almost all the time. Often, very little is in focus anyway, and learning how to master these kinds of optical effects takes a long time. Moreover, it's hard to always nail focus with such shallow DoF, though it's amazing how much better one gets with practice.

That said, stop down just a little bit, and images can become stupidly sharp. Even at f/2 or f/2.8, nailing focus and obtaining ridiculously sharp images becomes much easier. At f/5.6 or slower, the Leica optics are so good that they will (almost) obviate the benefits of a higher resolution sensor, such as a Nikon D800. For example, in a recent studio shot that my wife and I did (some results of which are posted on this thread), we used both a Nikon D800 with a 24-70 f/2.8 at f/8, and the latest generation Leica 50 on an M240 at f/8. I was surprised to see that the sharpness and overall detail in the Leica shots was virtually indistinguishable from the Nikon images. I could not really see the differences between the files until looking past 400% magnification, and even then, the distinctions were incredibly subtle.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.821 #6 · p.821 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Doug, those foreboding tree shots are amazing. Such moody processing.

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:44 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.821 #7 · p.821 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks arka. Much appreciated. I have always loved trees without their leaves, its how you see their "soul". If you can capture it, they can tell quite a story. I think.

I remember once seeing a tree that I wanted to shoot, it had a big soul, and then one day I came by and saw that utility people had butchered a large portion of this tree to insure their precious lines were not infringed on. I was so pissed, the tree was not in the way at all anyway, but they cut it off like kenneling, because they could. I saw another tree they did this way along that same road that I can't think of the name for, but is sort of in trouble in the smokies due to the wooly worm I think it is, diseasing and killing the trees. They can be saved with a few different treatments, but they have to be treated, or the worm will win.

I went on tangent there...

I like trees. :-)

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:22 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.821 #8 · p.821 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M Monochrom with the Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, wide-open.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:45 PM
BrianVS
• •
p.821 #9 · p.821 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Leica M8, Minolta 50/1.4 MC Mount, wide-open at ISO2500.

Shot using 16-Bit Raw, M8RAW2DNG processor.

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:47 PM
djarth

p.821 #10 · p.821 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you all for the info.
I have to try one in my hands to have a feel. I like the "organic" look the leica gives on people. It has a very distinct look
Somehow some of the photos i see of landscapes here are a little out of focus. I wonder if its my old monitor.
Is it difficult to focus using the RF way?

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lenticular11
• • •
p.821 #11 · p.821 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

It's easy to focus unless your eyesight is poor! I wear spectacles and I get by fine (my corrected vision is 20:20).

If you want to try a Leica digital RF then I can really recommend the 10 megapixel M8 as a starter. I am a happy user of this camera and I note thare are always some for sale on here, at better prices than eBay and suchlike.

I still prefer shooting the Leica to my 5D III. The lack of an AA filter and quality lenses (Leica, Zeiss, Cosina-Voigtlander in decreasing order of cost) make for a stunning combination. I have obtained sharp images using a $120 Jupiter-3 (Russian copy of a 50/2 Zeiss design) at medium apertures on my M8.

Good luck and let us know if you make the transition.

Edited on Jan 02, 2014 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:31 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.821 #12 · p.821 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Doug - very nice pics. I also like that B&W of the tree…
Michael - nice to see some more pics from the ZM21 Biogon. Very nice colors and PP.
Luka - looks to be a great place to bring in the New Year. All the best to you.
Carsten - cool pics! #2 looks so surreal.
Justin - Leica can produce just as "crisp" and sharp images as other systems. You may also be viewing some of the Noct images which can produce a bit of "glow" effect when shot wide open.
Joachim - nice B&W's!
Ryan - nice pics with the 135. The Zoo is a great place for that lens and I will be doing the same in a day or two.

Edited on Jan 02, 2014 at 01:58 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:34 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.821 #13 · p.821 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

djarth wrote:
Thank you all for the info.
I have to try one in my hands to have a feel. I like the "organic" look the leica gives on people. It has a very distinct look
Somehow some of the photos i see of landscapes here are a little out of focus. I wonder if its my old monitor.
Is it difficult to focus using the RF way?

I find focusing a rangefinder a whole lot easier than focusing a DSLR. I think for landscape most would hyper focus using DoF scales on the lens. I do for my street work.

Jan 02, 2014 at 01:34 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.821 #14 · p.821 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

3D.Doug wrote:
Thanks arka. Much appreciated. I have always loved trees without their leaves, its how you see their "soul". If you can capture it, they can tell quite a story. I think.

I remember once seeing a tree that I wanted to shoot, it had a big soul, and then one day I came by and saw that utility people had butchered a large portion of this tree to insure their precious lines were not infringed on. I was so pissed, the tree was not in the way at all anyway, but they cut it off like kenneling, because they could.
...Show more

Hey Doug,

I am a huge tree fan as well. Here's one I shot on one of my long walks almost 3 years ago. I've not done much tree work on the Leica, but they are some of my favorite subjects... and I agree 100% about the "soul" of a tree being bared by its leaflessness. It would be nice to go on a tree shooting walk with you I think.

Sunset Tree - Olympus EP-1 + 7-14mm f/4

Jan 02, 2014 at 02:06 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.821 #15 · p.821 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

x2

Jan 02, 2014 at 02:22 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.821 #16 · p.821 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

A few from yesterday…

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

Jan 02, 2014 at 04:41 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.821 #17 · p.821 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Arka, Oh, that tree is a beauty, thanks for sharing. Yeah, does sound like it would be fun! I do happen to know a nice place or two for trees here. They are limited in size, only by the sky. Smoky Mountains park protects them from idiots that would destroy such beauty, as I have seen occur in the city and county I live in.

Share trees with me anytime! :-)

I should probably create a tree gallery at my site, seems like a good idea.

Doug

Jan 02, 2014 at 04:47 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.821 #18 · p.821 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, great set!
Arka, beautiful, only wish it is larger

Another one from 35cron V1.
Again, strong contrast. But my vision in mind is never meant to be real

Jan 02, 2014 at 05:26 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.821 #19 · p.821 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Zhangyue, I love that shot of the surfers!

Here's another set from me. This is of my wife, just after my sister's wedding last weekend. Which do you like better, B&W or color? Leica M240 with a Summilux ASPH 50mm at f/1.4.

Jan 02, 2014 at 08:40 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.821 #20 · p.821 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

P867

BrianVS - great ISO1250 16 bit M8 RAW example. I've been playing with that too but see little difference at base ISO where I usually shoot, so have reverted to 8bit as a default.

Gary - love that 2nd (icicle) shot in particular. Picked up a ZM25 myself during the last week - stellar lens!

Michael - dreamy surf shot!

Arka - excellent tree shot, and beautiful images of your wife - I prefer the colour version.

Now, this next one is for Justin (djarth):

Leica M8 DNG to 45% quality jpg (made in Capture One Pro 7: 45% quality to keep file size under FM posting limit). No colour, exposure or any other PP. This is a 100% crop made with the Zeiss ZM 25 f2.8 Biogon lens.

Taken about 1hr before sunset in dull conditions - .

gum tree nuts and emergent blossom

M8 Digital Camera    f/5.7    1/45s    160 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Edited on Jan 02, 2014 at 11:13 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2014 at 10:58 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password