FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              819      
       821              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

BrianVS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.820 #1 · p.820 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Arka- your Sister looks Stunning in her wedding dress, congratulations to her and your family.

Monochrome Vs False-Color IR, I've seen good examples of both. To me- "full-Spectrum" cameras produce the best false-color, much like IR Ektachrome. If you are shooting just IR, the color dye in the Mosaic filter is past the cutofff, and all pixels are sensitive to IR. They behave similar to a Monochrome IR camera. I have one of each, Monochrome Full-spectrum Kodak and a color Full-spectrum converted Olympus EP2.

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:34 PM
lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.820 #2 · p.820 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Brian, indeed I am thinking of having my Nex-5N converted to full-spectrum, however I also enjoy the challenge of trying to get the focus sufficiently accurate by guesstimation on the M8

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:38 PM
nicolab
• •
p.820 #3 · p.820 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M8 90 cron w.o.
"Ave, Maria, gratia plena"

Dec 31, 2013 at 02:58 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.820 #4 · p.820 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Arka, your sister does look so beautiful for her wedding day. Your family must be very proud of her and she must be so very happy. Thanks for sharing these private family photos with us.

I guess it's time to say bye to Christmas, and hello new year!

I sort of messed up my frame line on the left I thought I was shooting on, oops. But it's ok, there's a hoe in teh photo anyway, ruining it from being perfect anyway, lol.

Dec 31, 2013 at 03:59 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.820 #5 · p.820 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Quite day on the Leica front. I guess folks are partying... Well, some of us are still taking photos.

M Monochrom/35 Lux/Silver Efex processing with creative "edge"

Jan 01, 2014 at 02:55 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.820 #6 · p.820 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

^ Awesome tones Doug, the mood is great, strong powerful blacks that go well with the base of the tree! Good control of highlights, very good artistic rendition!

This is the best Iv'e seen from you my friend

Phil

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

P.S. My partying days are over - Military had to tone me down

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:00 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.820 #7 · p.820 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Beautiful, Doug! What a shot!

Thank you Lenticular .... I also really like the IR shots. Always had a thing for B&W IR. So dreamy.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:08 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.820 #8 · p.820 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Phil for the critique, and complement! I think I was a bit out of practice. I'm slowing getting back to form maybe... I really hadn't shot much over the last year really before fall.

Katie, thank you too!

I saw this tree when I looked up in the edge of the woods on Hyatt Lane in Cades Cove, and I said, man, I got to shoot this tree! There are some enormous trees in the smokies, The MM is made for this shooting with leaves off.

Jan 01, 2014 at 03:17 AM
djarth

p.820 #9 · p.820 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi all,

I'm looking to get M9 to try the leica look.

Just some questions.
So far the photos i'm seeing in the thread seems to be in focus but not sharp.
Is this signature of leica? or is it difficult to focus with this type of camera?

It's not like eye p;opping sharp like my 5D3, some of the shots i see here when in focus has an organic look, is that the character of the camera?

Seeking advice

Justin

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:31 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.820 #10 · p.820 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Doug, +1 for the rave of that foto I like it.
Justin, Because Leica people don't care sharpness

You know this make no sense, right? it has nothing to do with brand/system. I am sure you can easily find a lot sharp fotos from Leica.

Add two more unsharp ones from today. I am kind of lose control in PP

21biogon

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

denoir
• • • •
p.820 #11 · p.820 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Happy New Year from Stockholm

Jan 01, 2014 at 09:33 AM
Carsten_R

p.820 #12 · p.820 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Happy New Year !

Bordeaux, France (M9 and Apo50)

Le Porge Ocean, France (M9 and Elmarit 28 Asph.)

Sylt, Germany (M9 and CV Heliar 15/4.5)

Bordeaux, France (M9 and Apo50)

Jan 01, 2014 at 10:22 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.820 #13 · p.820 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi Justin. Good questions - this is the place to ask, for sure! Here's my $.02 on the subject...

I came from a Canon 5D2 background (among maaaany other digi models) so I AM a bit familiar with Canon files vs. Leica files and i can honestly say that there is absolutely no difference in sharpness between them; granted you are using quality glass on the body. I, for one, cannot stand over-sharpened, crispy to the point of pixelation, crunchy images on screen. I don't really add any additional sharpening to my images, as I prefer them to be (as you so correctly pointed out) "organic". I like my images to have a film like look (as I do also still shoot/develop/scan my own film images on a RF camera with the same lenses that I use on my M-E).

Anyone else can chime in here; but I am thinking that it is possibly just a difference in processing that you are seeing. The files are so lovely from this camera, I just think Leica folks don't over-process them. Just my thoughts...

djarth wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking to get M9 to try the leica look.

Just some questions.
So far the photos i'm seeing in the thread seems to be in focus but not sharp.
Is this signature of leica? or is it difficult to focus with this type of camera?

It's not like eye p;opping sharp like my 5D3, some of the shots i see here when in focus has an organic look, is that the character of the camera?

Seeking advice

Justin

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.820 #14 · p.820 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Hi Justin. Good questions - this is the place to ask, for sure! Here's my $.02 on the subject...

I came from a Canon 5D2 background (among maaaany other digi models) so I AM a bit familiar with Canon files vs. Leica files and i can honestly say that there is absolutely no difference in sharpness between them; granted you are using quality glass on the body. I, for one, cannot stand over-sharpened, crispy to the point of pixelation, crunchy images on screen. I don't really add any additional sharpening to my images, as I prefer them to be (as you
...Show more

I agree with you that over-sharpened, crunchy images are a disaster. The present thread is not short of those.
Leica folks don't need to over-process their images, because the lack of an AA filter will to this for them under certain conditions.

Jan 01, 2014 at 04:48 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.820 #15 · p.820 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Happy New Year guys!!
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, good stuff on the forums though!

Carsten_R - Quick question, does your 50APO have problems?

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Carsten_R

p.820 #16 · p.820 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Luckily no Problems. Perfect for the Monochrom, less than perfect on the A7R...

Carsten

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:11 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.820 #17 · p.820 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Finally got around to using the 135mm f4 that Gary sold me, I have to say I'm impressed! Still wish is was f2 though

M240+135/4

L1003093 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003056 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003088 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1003080 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:32 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.820 #18 · p.820 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ryan, what the heck is that creature? Looks like a fox sorta...

Jan 01, 2014 at 05:59 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.820 #19 · p.820 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

It's a Red Panda, very cute and playful.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:17 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.820 #20 · p.820 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

now take this with a grain of salt since I own neither an M9 nor 5Dii, but I acquired raw files from both cameras and compared. and not just random shots either; lab shots where focus was walked through and the best samples were provided from both cameras. setup one was 5Dii with 50MP. setup two was M9 with v5 summicron 50.

understand 50MP is a sharper lens, and much higher contrast. I have seen on film that it is beyond what the old (v4/5 formula is from 76) summicron formulation can do, especially at lab focus distance.

but the M9 raws were WAY sharper than 5Dii using ACR. and nothing I could do in PS could make up that difference. when I downsize to web dimensions, 5D looked sharper because 50MP has such high contrast.

POP or "sharpness" from websize images almost all comes from sharpening/contrast enhancement and the contrast of the lens at the relevant frequencies FOR THE ENLARGEMENT.

I have a good example of such things happening. I owned a while ago a ZM50 Planar, for Leica, and a Dual Range Summicron, and a Zuiko 50/3.5 Macro. I have seen measured MTFs for all 3; DR has highest extinction frequncy, ZM highest "global" contrast and Zuiko best at 40 lp/mm. I shot all 3 on the same roll of Delta 100 developed in Xtol 1:1 and compared my perceived "sharpness"

on scan:
1. zuiko
2. zm planar
3. dr summicron

on downsized scan (multistep sharpening)
1. planar (perception of fine detail)
2. zuiko (lots of "crunch", my favorite but not "sharpest")
3. dr summicron

examined with loupe
1. dr summicron
2. zuiko
3. planar

which was "sharpest"? if you enlarge enough, DR summicron. but I sold it quickly, because I realized that even at 11x14 (the largest I can do with my scanner with high quality) it looked the worst by a lot. I sold the ZM planar shortly after, when I got other lenses that made me question value of ZM planar and used that money to buy my own 50MP.

post processing is very individual and most people are bad at it (as they are indeed bad at most things). if you are seriously considering purchase, track down some raw files from a lens you actually intend to purchase and use with it and process it yourself and compare. if you are really lucky, you might get someone with good PP flow to send you a PSD with their method on it so you can see what you could get.

btw I hate the word "pop" when describing images so much. funny enough the image I saw with the most of that had missed focus lmao.

Jan 01, 2014 at 06:27 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password