FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              809      
       811              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.810 #1 · p.810 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ryan, congrats on your newborn! Beautiful baby.
Joakim, nice framing with the girl's eye between the cards. Excellent. How was the workshop?
Katie, very nice gangsta set and fun narration!
Fursan, continuing to enjoy your travels and pictures.
Gary, excellent varied set past few pages. 21SEM pic looks great and the Nikkor 5cm 1.4 looks sharp.
Charles, excellent shot of the rocks with the 21SEM. This lens really looks tempting!
Duane, very peaceful with the morning sunrise shot.

jojomon11 wrote:
Question all, I'm thinking of getting rid of my M and reacquire another M9, pretty much love the CCD sensor and rendering of the old, def. fits my style better, there are some big improvements with the M, but I am just not gelling with it, the rendering on the M9 was def. more to my liking, had more of a classic look to it vs. the modern look of the M.

What are your thoughts on the differences? Just curious

I'm not a night time shooter so high iso isn't really a concern of mine, but I am a sharpness freak
...Show more

Sometimes I miss my M9 for the CCD look to the files but but if I were to choose only one, I'll take the M(240): better buffer, more robust electronics, more robust mechanical tolerance, weather sealing, more accurate 2m framelines, higher iso, nicer sounding shutter, etc etc. M(240) color still seems off for me, especially skin tones in mixed lighting situation, I'm not getting consistency quite often, but then again I don't have Ron's pp skills. But some have also speculated that the color issue on the M240 is due to IR contamination. When my M240 comes back from Leica service, I'll be curious to try it with some IR cut filters.

If you feel the M has lost the mojo, could it be because you have been using the EVF and live view? Try to leave the EVF at home and treat it like a rangefinder for a week or two and see if it gels?

As for B&W between M9 and M240, I prefer the M240 as the files seem richer to me (not scientific though)

The Monochrom, that's a different story. I thought of letting go mine a few months back but I'm glad I kept it.

My Nikkor weekend,

W-Nikkor 3.5cm 1.8 ltm

Nikkor 10.5cm 2.5 ltm

Dec 16, 2013 at 03:51 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.810 #2 · p.810 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
I actually feel a little better in letting my M go, now that I have my A7 ,

What? You want to replace a real camera with an electronic box?

While I agree the A7/R is a ground breaking camera because its the first affordable FF mirrorless camera and priced very competitively, I still don't trust Sony enough with their roadmap for cameras and lenses. Although Sony make excellent sensors, I have never felt much love with my NEX cameras. My RX1 seems to be an exception but still, I prefer cameras with both shutter dials and aperture rings. As for alternative to a rangfinder, I'm looking forward to (i) a FF Ricoh GXR optimized for RF lenses, (ii) or maybe a FF Fuji X series (ii) or possible an A7 successor when Zeiss releases their manual focus FE mount lenses. Otherwise I find most of the current mirrorless cameras too much of a compromise compared to a full frame DSLR.

Some people say Canon and Nikon are not innovative enough compared to Sony or Olympus, but why reinvent the wheel when a DSLR works for what its supposed to? I must say its good to have so many choices for cameras nowadays compared to say 3-4 years back.

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:24 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.810 #3 · p.810 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joe for the insight, and advice, really appreciate it

I've been sick with a long standing flu/allergies with santa ana winds that won't go away and it's really kept me indoors for the past 3 weeks! besides going to work

Spending way to much time in front of the computer

Phil

Dec 16, 2013 at 06:02 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.810 #4 · p.810 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice images, Guys.
Joe, great BW images from MM. BTW, 35cron V1 is great on A7R.
Fursan, another superb set.
Ryan, congratulation!
Phil, M and M9 are very different camera, I will chose M for fast electronics, high DR, LV, weather seal etc... but choose M9 for its film like operating and color.

A7 is very different camera, I have to put it far behind Leica and Nikon interns of overall shooting and handling. IF I am a dedicate landscape shooter then answer could be different. But either I can live with Nikon or Leica but not sony, at least not this generation.

a portrait by 50lux ASPH and M9 from yesterday.

WO zero crop

Dec 16, 2013 at 06:19 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.810 #5 · p.810 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

This is one that I shot about a month and a half ago. My wife and I built the dress the night before the model arrived.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Leica M type 240 & Summilux 35mm f/1.4. Two Profoto lights, one with a 3'x4' gridded softbox, and a very understated kicker/rim on the other side with a 30 grid to control spill

Cylindrical

Dec 16, 2013 at 09:16 AM
Fursan
• •
p.810 #6 · p.810 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles, Joe, zhangyue...thank you guys for your comments and encouragements.

Grateful to other friends for their ' likes '.

Thank you all.

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Fursan
• •
p.810 #7 · p.810 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
a portrait by 50lux ASPH and M9 from yesterday.

WO zero crop
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7324/11397460994_9f40ab2900_b.jpg

Marvellous !!

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Fursan
• •
p.810 #8 · p.810 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I love alleyways...

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Fursan
• •
p.810 #9 · p.810 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And fishing ports...

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Fursan
• •
p.810 #10 · p.810 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And love people...

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fursan
• •
p.810 #11 · p.810 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

And people..

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
dalegaspi
• •
p.810 #12 · p.810 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

oh boy, Phil...that loaded question again...

if you prefer the M9, it's just simple that: you just prefer it over the M240 files...don't overthink it. there's no scientific mumbo-jumbo or some other rationalization will make you think otherwise. the other aspects of the camera (shutter, LCD, high ISO) doesn't seem as important, so it's even easier for you.

now, i can take that M240 off your hands for $3.5K...which seems to be the ongoing rate for clean M9s.

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.810 #13 · p.810 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Well, most decisions can be undone, though it can take time to do it. I'm not so sure I don't like the M9 best myself, but I have not used my M enough yet to be able to say that definitively. That is one reason I am not going to be quick to sell either. But I really think I prefer to say they are just different cameras, with different strengths and "weaknesses".

3.5 is not the going rate for my mint M9 with 2K clicks if I sold it. I would still price it $4250. This was a 6K camera, and with low clicks, there is no way it's not worth at least 4K today.

Dec 16, 2013 at 04:17 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.810 #14 · p.810 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Thanks Adam

Having both the M and MM, I clearly prefer the 1 year old MM's rendering over the M. I guess your right it's a matter of preference.

I wish they made the M9-U with the higher iso performance of the M

Your response to Charles and myself suggests you can live without the benefits of the M240. And you have an MM and you have a A7, so why not get the M9 for a while.. With the prices the way they are, it's a no brainer. IF Leica releases an M-CCD camera, it'll probably come in another year to two years+ when the M240 has met its expected sales.

Dec 16, 2013 at 08:19 PM
dalegaspi
• •
p.810 #15 · p.810 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
What? You want to replace a real camera with an electronic box?

While I agree the A7/R is a ground breaking camera because its the first affordable FF mirrorless camera and priced very competitively, I still don't trust Sony enough with their roadmap for cameras and lenses. Although Sony make excellent sensors, I have never felt much love with my NEX cameras. My RX1 seems to be an exception but still, I prefer cameras with both shutter dials and aperture rings. As for alternative to a rangfinder, I'm looking forward to (i) a FF Ricoh GXR optimized for RF lenses,
...Show more

Yes! A FF Ricoh GXR. THIS is what i want as an M alternative. not the A7/r. with all this talk about A7/A7r stuff i was dumbfounded why the idea of an FF GXR wasn't even mentioned until now. I love my Ricoh GR and it seems that only Ricoh (IMO) is the only one truly successful in throwing in multitude of whiz-bang features without sacrificing ergonomics and accessibility.

that said, i don't think it will happen until they release a FF DSLR...but hey Ricoh/Pentax has surprised us before...maybe they will announce a FF DSLR along with a FF M-compatible GX-R.

Dec 16, 2013 at 08:41 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.810 #16 · p.810 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

There are many discussions about the color profile of the M240. Like many others, I was very skeptical about go forward with M240 as I really love the color of M9. But lately in FM, there are many wonderful images by Gary, Andrew, Charles and others using M240.

In light of recent discussion of using RF lenses on Sony A7/A7r, I took the dive and get an M240 instead. I only took about 100 images this past weekend and I really like it. It is a much better, capable, and robust body compared with M9. I plan to keep both of them for a while to see if I can use them together as far as color profiles go. Hope to post some images here when I have time during the winter/holiday break.

Dec 16, 2013 at 08:44 PM
tophoto.
• •
p.810 #17 · p.810 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Picked up an M9 recently, took it skiing the other day and liked the results.

Tyler McManigal - Open Season Rail Jam 13/14 by Thomas O'Connell, on Flickr

Dec 16, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.810 #18 · p.810 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I rented and sampled an M-E (similar to the M9) before settling on the M240. For me, the M240 felt better in every respect. I love the build, shutter sound, battery life, and electronic photo aids (LV and EVF capability). It felt like a more comprehensive imaging solution that wasn't quite inundated with "feature creep." (Well, maybe movie mode... it would nice if I could remap that button to do something else). I probably end up using LV for less than 10% of my images, and the EVF for less than 5%, but those percentages are important to me, particularly when when shooting wider than 35mm.

File appearance is a very personal thing, of course, but given that most of my street photography is in the evening, nightime, or indoors (ISO 1600-3200), the M240 was a better choice for me. I also found the DR of the M240 to be pretty good (if not quite as good as my D800) for my landscape work.

However, if you are shooting at lower ISOs and are looking for a fantastic SOOC file every time, I can see the appeal of the M9/M-E. To me, the M240 was itself a revelation considering the quality of its SOOC DNG files, particularly as compared to my Nikons. The M-E files are even punchier, but the differences in SOOC image quality could not trump, at least for me, the usability and flexibility of the M240.

Dec 16, 2013 at 09:29 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.810 #19 · p.810 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I had put off buying a viewfinder for my 24 Lux, with the LV feature, as long as I shoot M240 with my 24 lux, I can now use LV to take the place of the EVF for that lens. Since it's the only lens I needed one for anyway, I'm now good to go in that area. I didn't really want to have to fool with one anyway.

Dec 17, 2013 at 01:27 AM
pandorf
• • •
p.810 #20 · p.810 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

This capture is along my daily walk while at home.

Along My Daily Walk | Leica M-E, Leica Summilux-M 35mm

Dec 17, 2013 at 02:16 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password