FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              802      
       804              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.803 #1 · p.803 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Arka, 2nd one for me. I like the dramatic contrast between sky and peaceful sea. without tide, the frame is also feel well defined and better composed for me. If that make any sense
for the 2nd one, I will also use digital ND filter to dramatic sky a little, but that is personal choice.

Dec 06, 2013 at 05:24 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.803 #2 · p.803 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Fursan wrote:
Thank you zhangyue. I am grateful. Just simple people ( the wife and I ) traveling and meeting other simple folk.
Along the way we climb some mountains, take some pictures and share it with friends.

And thanks to all other friends for giving me of their time to comment and ' like '.

Kindest regards.

What a wonderful world! A life I am dreaming about simple is great!

I just wake up from that dream and sent my kids to school and come to work

Dec 06, 2013 at 05:51 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.803 #3 · p.803 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone

Adam, I like the soft pastel processing on your 50Cron APO shots, really nice.
Fursan, I continue to enjoy your pics and explorations through various continent! I like the little motives (eg girl running, clouds from chimneys, etc) you add to the layers in your composition, really nice! Thanks for sharing.
Doug, excellent landscapes and scenes.
Ron, that is an excellent capture, I really like the mystery and ambiguity from the shadow play framed with the National Monument in the background. Funny, how I have been there but didn't find such nice angles to shoot
Arka, both excellent but I slightly prefer the 2nd composition, more peaceful and without the distraction of the whites from the water, but I guess everyone has their own preference.
Joakim, nice shot with the 35Cron and enjoy your workshop. Share some pics when you are done!

---
A few more from my visit to Kuala Lumpur last month. All 50 0.95

If 50mm was my preferred focal length, this could be all the lens I need. Its quite amazing how it can be so sharp at f/0.95 (at least in the center of the frame). The biggest negatives as others have mentioned is the purple fringing from f/0.95 to about f/2. The lens also have a tendency to flare quite a lot when shot against the light.

Also, an interesting observation which others have mentioned in the past, the way this lens draws wide open can sometimes deceive us with a telephoto perspective. For example, in #2 above which is uncropped, it almost feels like it was shot with a 85mm or a 90Cron.

Dec 06, 2013 at 08:02 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.803 #4 · p.803 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Got some snow in DFW...

M9, 28mm Summicron

M9, 21mm SE

Dec 06, 2013 at 09:03 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.803 #5 · p.803 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Two different days...

M9, Noctilux

Dec 06, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.803 #6 · p.803 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Arka - I like #1 the best. Curious what aperture you shot it at….

Fursan - love the variety. Makes me miss SE Asia…..

Joe - I agree with your comment about the perspective of the 50noct. Nice PP.

Dec 06, 2013 at 11:17 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.803 #7 · p.803 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks,all, I pulled one and reprocessed it, made this one a BW. I had a lot of noise on these this day, my ISO must have been higher, plus it was M9, not M.

Well, here is one to ponder the processing of... Opinions?

There was a lot of processing going on here, so I want to step away from it and get an outside opinion. thanks... I do have a sensor spot to clean up on it, that's no problem, just a matter of if the processing is right! I have a bit of a hard time judging BW ranges, and special processing. :-)

Edited on Dec 07, 2013 at 01:39 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2013 at 12:05 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.803 #8 · p.803 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Guys, thanks for the comments and 'likes.'

Doug, I like this one. Maybe not so much the color tint, but the tonality to me looks more believable. The earlier ones are very dramatic and my nitpick with those would be how the nearer valley areas, against the tree line, tended to get quite bright. I think it's probably a side effect of using shadow/highlight and clarity adjustments. Sometimes the halos in dark to lighter transition areas can become very exaggerated. In this most recent one, I feel the dark foreground and dark upper clouds work well to frame the brighter area along the horizon.

Arka - beautiful colors! Tough decision between the two. I like the peacefulness (as noted already) of the second one, and it's more balanced feel, but would probably pick the first one because of how the incoming water adds some tension and motion to the scene.

Fursan - really like the India temple scene in particular. Great philosophy too!

Jawad - wow, you guys got snow way down there already? Still waiting for winter here...

Joe - I think I figured out why you've elected to be the event's photographer. Having photographed many corporate meetings, I suspect sitting down and having to pay attention is very taxing, based on the number of nodding sleepy-heads I've seen. Agree about how deceptive the Nocti and even Lux ASPH can be about looking longer than 50mm. Great job!

More from DC:

Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall:

M9 & 28 Cron x3, 50 Lux ASPH
#2 was cropped a bit

Dec 07, 2013 at 01:33 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.803 #9 · p.803 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Doug - looks good to me but for me, the color tint is a bit too "sepia-ish"…. Very nice pic though.

Ron - another nice set. Looks to be a good place to roam and shoot…

A couple more from be before the blizzard (which is still here, -34C brrr).

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:00 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.803 #10 · p.803 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments Gary & Ron, and everyone else for the likes.

Jawad, crazy weather pattern huh?
Doug, pretty much the same comments as others, very nice on the composition but could probably do less with toning on the last B&W, at least for web viewing. I think you might be surprised how little pp both M9 and M240 files need, go "au naturel"
Ron, another excellent set, colors and pp spot on as always. And yes, agreed, taking pics during these events breaks the monotony, at least for me.
Gary, looks calm before the storm! ZM25 looking sharp. -34C? wow, that's cold! Do most people in your part of Canada still use oil to heat their homes or its more natural gas?

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.803 #11 · p.803 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joe. Yes, I really like the ZM25… It's actually around -26C but with wind chill it is in the -34C ish range. Mostly all people in Western Canada use natural gas forced air furnaces. As you move towards Eastern Canada, there are more homes which use oil with radiant type heaters in each room. Any way you slice it, one needs heat in such frigid weather…

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:41 AM
BrianVS
• •
p.803 #12 · p.803 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I've been using the Leica M8 in uncompressed Raw mode, using the technique and software here:

http://m8raw2dng.de/?page_id=31

Leica M8, 35/1.7 Ultron wide-open, ISO 2500.

100% crop from the 16-bit uncompressed DNG created using M8RAW2DNG software:

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:29 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.803 #13 · p.803 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I pondered the coloring of the BW, whether that would be well received, heck, whether I liked it. In the end, I decided to try it.

I think some history should also be known. The lighting was very harsh at the time I took these photos. Late day at Clingman's Dome, the sun gets really harsh off the mountain there. So, I had quite a mixture of light to meter by, and I have tried to balanace in the photos, this harsh lighting.

I'll go back to the well again. It's not that these have to be oh so great, I just like to learn about what I like, and what people I respect like as well, thank you for participating.

Ok, here is a quite bland process job. I kept my hands off it for the most part. Not sure I like it, but here is what I have to work with... The area in the forground is underexposed, compared to the sunny area. I suppose the ideal situation would have been to have a graduated ND filter of some kind. I am still struggling with my filtering for Leica at this point, it's a growth area for me equipment wise, and knowledge wise.

But you know actually, the more I look at this image, the more I do like it as is. There is darkness when you expose off middle area, there is brightness at a distance when you expose off middle area. There's no way not to have these extremes in an image like this, without manipulation somewhere.

Doug

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:32 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.803 #14 · p.803 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Just for fun.

not looking for processing awards, just had some fun with it.

Dec 07, 2013 at 04:57 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.803 #15 · p.803 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

From last week:

M9 - ZM 25/2.8 by edward karaa, on Flickr

It's sad to see what happens to this lens on the Sony A7. It becomes a below par consumer grade lens with awful smear on the image periphery.

Dec 07, 2013 at 07:59 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.803 #16 · p.803 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I see a girl in tight jeans, am I supposed to see something else there Edward? Just checking...

Bummer on the lens downgrade to subpar. That's not a good bit of news at all. :-(

Dec 07, 2013 at 08:09 PM
ocean2059
• • •
p.803 #17 · p.803 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I went to my daughter's first winter indoor track meet this year for her high school team. As usual, I took my D3 with 70-200 zoom for some of her team photos. But this time, I also brought my M9 with Noctilux ASPH just for fun. I thought I post something different here - "Noctilux does sports."

The two images here were shoot at ASO 160 with 1/500 at f0,95 (push 2.5 stops in the post).

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.803 #18 · p.803 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

That is actually pretty cool rendering - especially on the first shot!

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:03 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.803 #19 · p.803 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Thanks Joe. Yes, I really like the ZM25… It's actually around -26C but with wind chill it is in the -34C ish range. Mostly all people in Western Canada use natural gas forced air furnaces. As you move towards Eastern Canada, there are more homes which use oil with radiant type heaters in each room. Any way you slice it, one needs heat in such frigid weather…

Gary, do people in Calgary actually wear skimpy jackets in -30C? That's a one tough city!
Vancouver got 'hit' this morning with -4C and I had to jump back to a warm car in between shots.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.803 #20 · p.803 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hey Jack! Most people bundle up big time in this weather. It's really not so bad if you keep active and shield yourself from the wind. Mind you, my son (12yrs old) thinks it is much "cooler" to wear his hoodie when he walks to school….

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:27 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password