1       2       3              798      
       800              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

dalegaspi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.799 #1 · p.799 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Hi Phil, yes the Oly VF2 on the M240 is amazing for the 50 Nocti f/1.0, 75 Lux and 90 Cron. It is the fine detail when you want to nail, eyelashes/highlights in the eyes that it comes in so handy. There is a thought the Oly VF4 may become compatible when Leica updates the firmware again! IMO the EVF for serious portraits is a must have now. Also if the calibration drifts with the RF, you have a backup

I don't think any of the LED lighting setups are cheap, but they are very convenient and light! I dislike flash
...Show more

Is the VF-2 as laggy as the screen LV? the screen LV is SO LAGGY i only use it for shots where I can't use the RF...if the VF-2 has the same lag, It will just end up gathering lint on my camera bag.

As for the LED, I just ordered the Genarays from B&H which are eerily similar to the much more expensive but well-regarded Ikan LED lights...i should receive them tomorrow.

LEDs are the future, IMO. strobes/flashes will still have its very specific use (action shots, etc), but for something like product shots or even portraits now to a degree, they're just more convenient...man, just thinking of the time i spent measuring light/exposure on strobes make me cringe now

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:56 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.799 #2 · p.799 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

dalegaspi wrote:
Is the VF-2 as laggy as the screen LV? the screen LV is SO LAGGY i only use it for shots where I can't use the RF...if the VF-2 has the same lag, It will just end up gathering lint on my camera bag.

As for the LED, I just ordered the Genarays from B&H which are eerily similar to the much more expensive but well-regarded Ikan LED lights...i should receive them tomorrow.

LEDs are the future, IMO. strobes/flashes will still have its very specific use (action shots, etc), but for something like product shots or even portraits now to a degree,
...Show more

Hi Dale, my preference is OVF and RF, but this is not always possible. It is wonderful to have the option of LV and EVF, both have their uses. Even with the A7r, I really don't like the EVF, in bright ambient lighting, as it makes it more difficult to compose seascapes/landscapes. The RF and LV is ideal here. Also depends on your work flow, as I have slowed down to work with the M, and it now suits my style of shooting. With the WA's, I do not like using the external VF as the framing can be quite inaccurate, so LV works well for me.

Congrats on the LED

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.799 #3 · p.799 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great pics everyone! Joe - great to see some more from you…

A few more from last weekend… I thought the last one was quite funny.

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

ZM25

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:49 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.799 #4 · p.799 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Fursan, I enjoy your contribution in this thread very much. Very inspiring works. Keep them coming. I wish you can comment a little bit of image information: place, lens and body

Ron, Joe, welcome back
Ron, Always enjoy your perfect color balance. You are master for everything from shooting to PP
Hopefully, My 'likes' will do better than comments. Nice works, every one.

Don't have much exciting stuff to share. No much time shooting as well. Have to bare with me with family pics. Again 50lux ASPH +M9 :
My only lens nowdays

New generation waiting for seats F1.4 or F2

WO

in front of toy shop

Dec 03, 2013 at 02:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.799 #5 · p.799 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary - looks like the ZM is working very well! Is this the calm before the storm? Looking forward to some blizzard photos. BTW, finally got my Nokian Hakka R2s installed late last week. Send some of that snow over so I can test them out. So far pretty dry here in SW Ontario.
Michael - great set! I love the first one, but they're all excellent.
Adrian - great moment there of your daughter and how the water is spraying. Thanks for sharing your flash experiences... I'll check out those Metz models. I haven't yet tried the ST-E2 with the 600 and/or on the M9. At least with the Canon flashes, when they go to sleep, half pressing the M9's shutter release will wake the flash.
Fursan - wow, very bold tonality. Works very well here.
Dexter - the octa is definitely very soft. I think the next Paul Buff purchase for me will be a couple of the Mini Vagabond batteries to use with my Elinchrom Quadra packs. I've discovered that running the Vagabond battery/inverter and attaching the Quadra's charger to it will run the Quadras for many hours of intermittent use.
Adam - I'm also salivating at the sight of the bread.
Joe - great set and cool to get some insight into what you're up to. Also interesting to learn how you're using the M & Nocti.

seekuh wrote:
Have you made your decision on whether or not purchasing the Sony A7(R)? I still don't know although the cameras are supposed to cooperate well with my lenses.

Hi Hilmar. Still no decision. While I think the a7/Rs have the sensor specs that interest me, the level of performance isn't really up there to match what I'm used to with my Canon gear. I look at these Sonys more as a DSLR replacement than an alternative to my Leica gear, therefore it'll need to do much of what I can with the 1DX. While I don't always need 12fps, I do need very fast frame to frame and AF responsiveness - basically instant ready. I don't feel these cameras are at such a level. Maybe when the a9 series arrives, then I'll rethink it. That said, the a7/R still interests me, but it's not a clearcut solution for my real needs. It would be something experimental to satisfy more or less a want, rather than a need.

If anyone has been following the a7 threads, in one Edward stated he was going to send his a7 off to Maxmax to remove the AA and replace with a thinner cover glass. That's a mod that would really interest me... Unfortunately it seems his M9 has developed a problem and now he may hold off getting the a7 converted until the M9 is fixed.

jojomon11 wrote:
Ron it's 1:2/90 Cron M Leitz, not 6 bit coded, excellent copy IMO. Beautiful bride shots w/beautiful women Ron. Are you manually adjusting your WB? Sometimes it's difficult for me to emulate the true color of the bride's gown, esp. if it's an ivory color which seems to be popular these days with women?

Phil

Hi Phil. I guess if it's the pre-AA, then the focus throw should be pretty long and relatively easy? Thanks very much. I'm adjusting the WB in post according to what I feel looks right. I have a bit of leeway here since these conversions are for myself and not the bride, therefore color accuracy is not critical. But IIRC, the dress was more white than ivory. I think a challenge with white fabrics is some of the optical whiteners tend to shift blue. This is definitely a problem with some sports jerseys when I shoot sports... especially ice hockey where the ice tends to be more on the yellow side while the jerseys shift blue... Finding the right WB can be a real pain, but I digress...

Regarding LED lights: I agree these are the future of photographic lighting. I recall reading about some technology that is working towards hybrid LED strobes, where one light can do both. That would be really useful.

A bunch more:

28 Cron:

21 Lux:

The shoes shot and last two were cropped somewhat. I guess that is part of my WA 'secret' which is to shoot a bit wider than necessary and crop to effect. Let me assure you that I have more than a few poor WA compositions where I've cut something off or left a lot of dead space...

Dec 03, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Fursan
• •
p.799 #6 · p.799 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks to all for the ' likes '..much appreciated.

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Fursan
• •
p.799 #7 · p.799 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:52 AM
Fursan
• •
p.799 #8 · p.799 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:53 AM
Fursan
• •
p.799 #9 · p.799 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:56 AM
Fursan
• •
p.799 #10 · p.799 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Can't leave my grandson out of all the fun..

Dec 03, 2013 at 05:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dalegaspi
• • •
p.799 #11 · p.799 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, I'm glad that I'm not a pro photographer...because i'd be out of a job if my clientele sees your work.

Dec 03, 2013 at 07:48 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.799 #12 · p.799 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments and likes

Dexter, very nice shots with the 75APO. Great lens for portraits.
Gary, another excellent set with ZM25. First two are my favorites. Last one is funny.
Ron, #1, 2, 3, 5 are my favorites from this set, especially #3, simply beautifully captured.
Fursan, all excellent!

adamdewilde wrote:
Joe, like the first factory visit shot, you also hit focus with the guy walking!

Thanks Adam, oftentimes with moving subjects, I find the rear LCD sharp enough to focus without having to engage focus magnifier. I normally shoot with the auto magnifier off on the Nocti as there is enough subject separation to tell apart the plane of focus, otherwise the auto magnification feels quite disruptive to the flow for me.

dalegaspi wrote:

I think VF-2 has the same lag as LCD but what I dislike most about the EVF is that it is buggy, even after firmware updates. The screen sometimes hangs or shows weird refresh/line skipping, and sometimes the contacts come lose and I have to push/move the EVF to get an image to show. This is with the cheaper Oly VF-2 though, not sure if the Leica branded ones have better QC/ It does work great where I can tilt EVF for composing hard to shoot angles.

zhangyue wrote:
Don't have much exciting stuff to share. No much time shooting as well. Have to bare with me with family pics. Again 50lux ASPH +M9 :
My only lens nowdays

Michael, somewhat disagree with your statement as your family pics are always beautiful, including this last set. How's the 50Lux ASPH nowdays after adjustment? Must be good since you seem to be using this more than your 50Cron Rigid? Did you buy the A7 or A7R? I think one of those might work great for your R lenses? If I had a stash of R lenses, I would probably get a A7/R to try out, especially 36MP on the 7R to see how those R lenses hold up? Otherwise a 7R with Otus 55/1.4 would also be mouth watering.

rscheffler wrote:
If anyone has been following the a7 threads, in one Edward stated he was going to send his a7 off to Maxmax to remove the AA and replace with a thinner cover glass. That's a mod that would really interest me... Unfortunately it seems his M9 has developed a problem and now he may hold off getting the a7 converted until the M9 is fixed.

Sorry to hear Edward's problem with the M9 sensor. Hope it's fixed soon. Also interesting to see how the A7 sans AA filter will look.

-----
A few more with 50 0.95 shot in the evening. Nothing like a nice cold glass of beer after meetings in hot humid weather

Dec 03, 2013 at 09:22 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.799 #13 · p.799 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - thanks for the comments. Yes, the blizzard arrived yesterday and it sure is nasty out. Very high winds and a fair bit of snow. Yesterday I had to walk 30mins from the train station to my car in -36C (with windchill) weather. It was bitter. I will gladly send some snow your way but they tell me there is a blizzard/cold weather warning for the next 5 days. PS - great wedding pics! I agree about the A7 but at times it is tempting to pick one up to try out. I'm trying to control myself though!

Fursan - very nice pics. I agree with Michael that it would be great if you could share the body/lens/location if you don't mind.

Michael - love the kid pics. The 50lux ASPH looks great but I really do love my pre-ASPH version right now.

Joe - very nice! I am also using the Oly VF-2 but I honestly don't like it at all. I have never been a big EVF fan so I find it a bit frustrating to use. It seems like I am looking at a 10yr old TV or something.... I use the LCD more than the EVF. I am hoping that there will eventually be a FW upgrade to allow the use of an VF-4.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:29 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.799 #14 · p.799 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Fantastic shots from Gary, Joe, Zhangyue, Ron, Fursan. Thanks for the kind words Ron and Joe.

Indeed I sent the M9 for sensor replacement after it started delaminating. The bad news is that it will take 4-6 months. The good news is that I got my A7 the same day. To be honest, the camera is very nice but nothing to compare to a Leica M. I really love the accurate framing and the EVF clarity, but I am not sold on the high iso advantage. I find iso 800 much better on the M9 than on the A7, not in terms of strength (the A7 has less) but quality (A7 noise looks very ugly). I also find the colors of the M9 to be way ahead (even using Sony's own converter). Focusing manually with an EVF is not as accurate as the RF unless in magnified view, which is slower. But as I said, seeing exactly what you're framing is a forgotten bliss. This alone is worth owning the camera. Also I would like to add that corner smearing is not as bad as I thought, but forget shooting wides below f/8. The color shift and vignetting are surprisingly lower than the M9 and even lower than the M240.

Dec 03, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.799 #15 · p.799 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great info Edward and I hope you get your M9 back soon. I'm curious about your last sentence above WRT color shift/vignetting - I have seen many samples with wide RF glass (on the A7) which is much worse than it would be on M9/M240. However, it appears certain lenses (but not many) do look slightly better (for color cast) on the A7...

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:11 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.799 #16 · p.799 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Gary and Edward.

Edward, 4-6 months? Sorry to hear about that. They ran out of sensors again? Ask them for a discounted/free upgrade for a MM or M240 Meanwhile enjoy your A7.

Gary, it would be great if we can use VF-4 on the M240. Not sure if the camera's micro-p can meet the refresh rates though.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:34 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.799 #17 · p.799 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Great info Edward and I hope you get your M9 back soon. I'm curious about your last sentence above WRT color shift/vignetting - I have seen many samples with wide RF glass (on the A7) which is much worse than it would be on M9/M240. However, it appears certain lenses (but not many) do look slightly better (for color cast) on the A7...

Thanks Gary. I should have specified that the color shading and vignetting are better on the A7 when the lens profiles on the M9 and M240 are turned off.

This means that the sensor microlenses are more efficient on the A7, but of course the A7R is a different story altogether.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:35 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.799 #18 · p.799 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Thanks Gary and Edward.

Edward, 4-6 months? Sorry to hear about that. They ran out of sensors again? Ask them for a discounted/free upgrade for a MM or M240 Meanwhile enjoy your A7.

Gary, it would be great if we can use VF-4 on the M240. Not sure if the camera's micro-p can meet the refresh rates though.

Yes, they ran out of sensors again

In fact I wouldn't mind a special offer on a M240 but that would be too good to be true Will try though.

Dec 03, 2013 at 12:37 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.799 #19 · p.799 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Fantastic shots from Gary, Joe, Zhangyue, Ron, Fursan. Thanks for the kind words Ron and Joe.

Indeed I sent the M9 for sensor replacement after it started delaminating. The bad news is that it will take 4-6 months. The good news is that I got my A7 the same day. To be honest, the camera is very nice but nothing to compare to a Leica M. I really love the accurate framing and the EVF clarity, but I am not sold on the high iso advantage. I find iso 800 much better on the M9 than on the A7, not
...Show more

Edward,

So sorry about the time for the sensor replacement of the M9.

As to the A7 for high ISO, I think people have been suggesting that you turn off the NR it will provide much better results from my understanding.

Rich

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.799 #20 · p.799 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Yeah - NR can definitely mess with IQ quite a bit. I wish I could disable the auto-NR feature on the M240 for my longer exposures...

Dec 03, 2013 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.