1       2       3              797      
       799              1382       1383       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.798 #1 · p.798 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Wonderful stuff all, esp. Edwards I always love you raw street scenes and cityscapes!

Thanks Ron

Yes the difficulty for me is the iso esp. in a very dark church or outdoors in the evening. Pushing iso on the MM causes banding on some of my shots, esp. in the darks and shadows, but the M I had no banding issues. I tried a Bescor adjustable led light panel for lighting and it seemed to work very well for me, but the weight made it top heavy somewhat, but it was worth it for some of the images I took.

I tried to
...Show more

Hi Phil, that's interesting about the MM. I recall Joe saying he's also seen banding with it, while others haven't. I'm not surprised though, since it's just an M9 with a modified sensor... I'm still getting some banding, but for the most part it seems to be fairy under control as long as I don't push the camera too hard or constantly review images while it's writing to the card. While I think the amount of 'low level' banding with the Panasonic Gold SDHC cards is better than what I was getting with the Transcend cards, because it's more random when there is banding, meaning it's less discernible, my feeling is the amount of banding is a touch higher overall (if comparing black frames pushed 3-5 stops in post, which isn't normally a realistic form of post production). So far, sticking to ISO 640 and pushing in post seems to work well at minimizing banding. I wonder if with the MM that would equate to the same technique, but topping out at ISO 1250?

I've been curious about the LED light panels... to use one on the M9 for some fill light. But so far I've found the cheaper ones tend to have a green color cast and the more compact ones are fairly useless in brighter ambient light... For indoor/night use it might be worth trying...

In fact, this image was done with an LED video light... not mine, rather, the other photographer always brings one and it does come in handy. Here I was the 'light stand' holding the light for his shot, but also grabbed a few.

Regarding the problems you were having with focus consistency and the 90mm lens... I also tried and pretty much gave up on using the 1.4x magnifier. I think with it you spend too much time trying to perfect the focus and end up over analyzing it... Without the magnifier, the RF patch more or less pops into alignment when all is perfect. I found that a diopter correction eyepiece helped a lot, thanks to Charles's suggestion and experience.

Edward, thanks for the nickname. Great Planar presence in the flag series, particularly the first one.
Joakim, I love the light and shadows and am a sucker for doors and windows.
Jawad. Thanks for the follow up and context. I think you were right to select the first examples as it works better overall.
Adrian - I agree the 50's star-shaped aperture is kind of annoying, but sometimes can be used to good effect. But if I had the choice, would prefer a rounder shape.
nibutto - congrats and hopefully it will be a long and fulfilling photographic relationship! Looking forward to seeing more. That's also a lens I don't think we've seen much from in this thread. At least for me, the pre-ASPH 28s are an unknown area.
Adam - thanks - I can see that 50AA lens flare example could be problematic. Have you been able to determine if the problem was fixed? Interesting collection of images.
Fursan - great set and like the birds & silhouette!

Here's another random one from the wedding...

The one at top was with the 21 Lux, the one above was 21mm, but don't remember if it was the Lux or SEM...

Dec 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.798 #2 · p.798 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I had the 1.4x mag for a while. I also use a -1.0 diopter (which helps me a lot). When I first received the 1.4x I added the -1.0 diopter and found that I was basically unable to focus accurately at all. I removed the diopter and it worked much better. My take on this is that the 1.4x may require an additional/different diopter than the bare VF to work well with your eyes.

jojomon11 wrote:
Edwards Thanks! Your my hero for today!

I removed the 1.4 mag and my hit rate went back up to 90% plus, my confidence level went back up again on the 90.

A bit surprised about this, as I just bought the mag used here on FM for a good price, but now feel it's useless, gonna put it back for sale on the boards again

I was planning to bring the lens to steves camera for a CA, but so far w/o the mag it isn't needed!

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 11:17 PM
CVickery
• • • •
p.798 #3 · p.798 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
...CVickery, those colours are out of this world! Was that how it looked?...

For colour, pretty much as I remember. I did add some clarity and contrast to add definition to the clouds.

Dec 01, 2013 at 11:22 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.798 #4 · p.798 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

That dude getting some rays is hilarious Ron!

Next wedding I do next year, I will hire a non-photog assistant to hold my led light panels for me and carry my gear. Planning to do a all leica wedding next year solo The family as agreed with me to do this Now I have to talk them into it being a B and W wedding

Thanks for the info, yes as soon as I removed my 1.4 mag, all went well I am a happy camper now

I might even try it w/o using my 1.25 mag, I did miss a few shots, that I swore I got after I took them

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 11:54 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.798 #5 · p.798 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Cal, nice sunsets!
Gary, great shots with the ZM 25. I always use to have some magenta edges with the M9. Great stuff
Ron, awesome wedding shots! I am amazed at your ability with WA's, and still maintain wonderful composed scenes.
Joakim, beautiful B&W tonality
nibutto, welcome and congrats!!!
Adam, great to seen you have your 50 Cron APO, back Very nice!
Fursan, great series! I do love the strong PP'ing to your images.
Ron, love the last capture

Phil, the 90 Cron AA on the M9 is a nightmare at f/2.0. For close portraits with a well calibrated setup works well, but from mid to far, a slight miss is very easy. I am enjoying the Oly VF2 with the M240, giving the 90 Cron AA a new life. It is probably why I am always picked up the 75 Lux first, as it is easier to focus and the hit rate was much better. I have had the 90 Cron AA, re calibrated about four times, due to the weight on the mount.

Has anyone tried the ICE led lighting, as it is a single adjustable soft light, that is very portable. May be just two of these makes for easy lighting.

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:42 AM
atwl77
• •
p.798 #6 · p.798 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I'm also surprised at the comments about focusing with the 1.4, since it practically lives on my M (though I use to get an approx 1:1 view, rather than for focusing). I remember my keeper rate on the Voigtlander 75/1.8 wasn't that good, the next time I take that lens out for a spin I should try it without the magnifier.

Ron, I'm also interested in LED lights but haven't committed to any ones yet. I've seen some Manfrotto panels available in local stores, but they seem too small to give a decent result. How big was the one you were holding?

Dec 02, 2013 at 12:45 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.798 #7 · p.798 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles, I was gonna buy the ice light as you recommended a few months back. but when I saw the price, I just about fell over my chair

Nobber question Charles, does the OLY VF2 help w/focusing? or just comp like the leica VF?

Phil

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:21 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.798 #8 · p.798 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Charles, I was gonna buy the ice light as you recommended a few months back. but when I saw the price, I just about fell over my chair

Nobber question Charles, does the OLY VF2 help w/focusing? or just comp like the leica VF?

Phil

Hi Phil, yes the Oly VF2 on the M240 is amazing for the 50 Nocti f/1.0, 75 Lux and 90 Cron. It is the fine detail when you want to nail, eyelashes/highlights in the eyes that it comes in so handy. There is a thought the Oly VF4 may become compatible when Leica updates the firmware again! IMO the EVF for serious portraits is a must have now. Also if the calibration drifts with the RF, you have a backup

I don't think any of the LED lighting setups are cheap, but they are very convenient and light! I dislike flash setups, and it is hard to get a feel for the lighting when you are moving around.

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:34 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.798 #9 · p.798 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Thanks Adam,

When I followed Edwards advise, my hit rate went back up to 90% plus! Pretty stoked with the 90 now

The 1.25 I def. need for the 50 and 35's

Phil

You're much better at nailing focus then I am
Do you think something is wrong with your 1.4x mag?

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:13 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.798 #10 · p.798 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon - The EVF is a bit slower, but helps you hit focus. I find that for it to be as accurate as the RF, you have to zoom in at least 5x, so it definitely takes getting use to, and again a slower process.

Dec 02, 2013 at 03:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.798 #11 · p.798 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks again guys!

Yeah, the guy on the bench was a lucky find.

seekuh wrote:
Ron, glad you are back! And what a fantastic image! Interesting you pushed clarity up to its limits. I've been rather reluctant to do so but will try it where possible.

Thanks Hilmar! Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. I only added clarity to the top half of the image. Lately I've been toning down my use of clarity. In fact, for many of the wedding images, I had LR 4.4 between -10 and -20 clarity. I find it's a lot more complementary to skin complexion, especially the ladies. There are some B&W conversions I did from my Canon & 85L of the guys where I cranked up clarity a fair amount, because it worked with the higher contrast and harder light.

It's funny how we go through these PP phases. Looking back at my early M9 & ZM lens images, I definitely liked cranking up clarity a lot! But after spending $$$$$ on Leica glass, it does seem a shame to hide their inherent look under a pile of processing...

Phil: which 90 Cron did you get? Seems we're all assuming it's the AA (latest version)? While I haven't used that one, it does seem to have a relatively fast focus throw compared to the older designs, which could make hitting focus more challenging. So far the one time I got to use a 75 Lux and 50/1, I found my hit rate very high because of the longer focus throw. The 85/2 Sonnar is similar with a helicoid specifically designed to allow more precise focus at longer distances, and pretty consistently nailed focus with it, too.

Adrian: The light was a video LED light, so not a large panel. It wasn't mine, so don't recall the specifics, but it was dimmable and you could adjust the WB quality from tungsten to daylight. A larger panel would give a somewhat softer/larger light source look. But it's also one more thing to carry around... I still find a flash to be more useful because it'll output enough power for sunlight fill if needed, and doesn't take up a lot of space in the bag. I use a Canon 600 EX-RT with the M9 because it works with my Canons and has the handy built in radio TTL trigger feature. But it also has an auto-thyristor mode that will automatically adjust light output for different subject distances at a given f/stop, which is very useful with the M9 because I don't want to carry around a separate Leica TTL flash just for it. Yeah, the 600 is too big for the M9, but there are very few auto-thyristor and bounce flashes still available in this age of TTL everything...

Some more to keep the thread moving.

These were all with the 21 Lux. I wasn't using a ND, so the middle three might have been at f/2-2.8, but maybe not. The second was cropped a bit, probably about to a 28mm equivalent. Mostly to cut off the left edge and empty top of the frame. The bridesmaid's body and arm at the left was looking a bit distorted and too wide. The last one was f/11. This lens is pretty versatile, but CA is fairly strong and was pretty evident in the trees of the last image. Fortunately it cleans up in LR with one click. For images like the last shot, I would normally have used the SEM, but for whatever reason, didn't have time to change lenses. If I'm going to stop down past f/2.8 I just like the look/sharpness from the SEM better, as well as the smaller size.

Dec 02, 2013 at 05:37 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.798 #12 · p.798 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great shots Ron.. I'm also finding that I like the subtle rendering of the noct and 50apo so much that it irks me to edit. But I always end up editing anyway!

Dec 02, 2013 at 07:20 AM
seekuh
• •
p.798 #13 · p.798 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks again guys!

Yeah, the guy on the bench was a lucky find.

Thanks Hilmar! Sorry, I missed your comment earlier. I only added clarity to the top half of the image. Lately I've been toning down my use of clarity. In fact, for many of the wedding images, I had LR 4.4 between -10 and -20 clarity. I find it's a lot more complementary to skin complexion, especially the ladies. There are some B&W conversions I did from my Canon & 85L of the guys where I cranked up clarity a fair amount, because it worked with the higher contrast and
...Show more

Wonderful shots, Ron. I agree with the statement that you are the master of wide angle lenses.

I think it's a good thing to go through these PP stages and that's why I love to read about your PP with respect to certain images. It helps me to reconsider and improve my own workflow.

Have you made your decision on whether or not purchasing the Sony A7(R)? I still don't know although the cameras are supposed to cooperate well with my lenses.

Dec 02, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Fursan
• •
p.798 #14 · p.798 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks folks for the ' likes '.

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:09 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.798 #15 · p.798 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Some more from SF/LA:
50APO @ f/2

1)

2)

3)

4)

Dec 02, 2013 at 09:55 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.798 #16 · p.798 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Charles yes led lights are expensive , I'm finding them mandatory for certain applications, even though for many years I avoided all types of any staged lighting w/my M's as well as my dslr's. I ended up ordering the oly vf-2, so will see how that improves my accuracy .

Adam, I am not sure if it's a bunk mag or not, I only know it does not work well with my M or MM copy, I had another 1.4 mag about a year ago and was issue free. I suspect it's not the mags, but it is my eyesight which has been getting worse this year. I think what Ron said was correct, if I am in focus patch and just use my instincts and just shoot would get me better results and it has. Nice sourdough bread shots Adam, makes me want to grab a slab of butter and down it w/a expresso.

Ron it's 1:2/90 Cron M Leitz, not 6 bit coded, excellent copy IMO. Beautiful bride shots w/beautiful women Ron. Are you manually adjusting your WB? Sometimes it's difficult for me to emulate the true color of the bride's gown, esp. if it's an ivory color which seems to be popular these days with women?

Phil

Dec 02, 2013 at 11:36 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.798 #17 · p.798 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

The sour dough is from a shop that uses something called "mother yeast" the funny thing about it, it actually tastes AWESOME (and I'm not a bread eater, I don't touch the stuff, but I'd make an exception).

BTW, send the MAG to me, I'll test it out for you

Dec 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM
atwl77
• •
p.798 #18 · p.798 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, I agree with the others that you have indeed mastered wide angle. I'm still not used to anything wider than 24mm (actually sold my Canon 24L, twice, due to lack of use).

I do have a 600EX-RT and also occasionally use it in Ext M mode; also have a Metz 36 C-2 when I want to take out something lighter, and I have also asked my local dealer to order a 20 C-2 for when I really want something pocketable.

I've also tried experimenting with wireless triggering, but the ST-E3RT doesn't seem to work on M bodies. I did manage to get the ST-E2 to trigger the flashes in manual mode, so that's a good thing, but have to put up with the annoying ST-E2 going to sleep automatically and have to manually cycle the power switch to wake it up again.

Fursan -- lovely B&W scene there but I do find the foreground OOF lights a bit distracting.

Finally, here's one of my little girl at play. 50 lux at somewhere near wide open:

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:25 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.798 #19 · p.798 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, congrats on the ZM25. #3, 4 & 5 from your first set and #1 from the second set with the lens are my favorites.
Ron, great to see you posting again. Superb! Great use of the 21mm FL, we don't call you master of wide angles without a valid reason. Colors and B&W pp spot on as usual.
Fursan, post p.841 #18 is excellent, especially like the 2nd shot. The other pics are all excellent as well. Like your contrasty pp to the B&Ws.
Adrian (atwl77), congrats on your 50Lux ASPH. Really nice shots.
Edward, very nice shots on p.842 with the ZM50 & 25.
Joakim, very nice with the ZM50.
Jawad, very nice use of shadows in your shots.
nibutto, congrats on your M8 and nice selfie.
Adam, excellent shots with the 50AA from your SF sets

Gary Clennan wrote:
Joe - great to see some pics from you again. Hope you are doing well…. PS - is Gutor a UPS manufacturer? Not sure where I have heard that name before.

All is well Gary, thanks! Just need more time to take pics and process them Yes, Gutor is an industrial UPS manufacturer. Founded in Switzerland but they expanded manufacturing to Malaysia recently. We were there for our annual sales meeting and also to see the newly opened factory wing.

-----
A few with 50 0.95 from our factory visit. All shot with LV. I actually prefer LV over EVF for its higher resolution and for me to use my Thumbs up. I know it feels dorky using an M with hands outstretched but it works so far and I have over 80-90% hit rate. I just purchased a 1.4x mag to use with the 0.95 and M240 but have to wait for the camera to return from Leica NJ for pixel remapping.

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:40 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.798 #20 · p.798 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
Finally, here's one of my little girl at play. 50 lux at somewhere near wide open:

Excellent shot Adrian. Looks like she's doing tai chi or some form of martial arts. Looked at your blog and I liked your documentary style family pics. Really nice work.

----
BTW, I was at your "backyard" last month, Met up with some friends and headed to Star Hill's Leica gallery for some coffee, gear fondling and also to view Che Mat's exhibition. Fabulous street work shot in Kuala Lumpur. He also shoots with a M9 and was recently featured in NYT lens blog. Check it out http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/a-street-level-view-of-kuala-lumpur/?_r=2

M(240), 35 Cron 8 element

Dec 02, 2013 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password