FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              796      
       798              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.797 #1 · p.797 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Wonderful stuff all, esp. Edwards I always love you raw street scenes and cityscapes!

Thanks Ron

Yes the difficulty for me is the iso esp. in a very dark church or outdoors in the evening. Pushing iso on the MM causes banding on some of my shots, esp. in the darks and shadows, but the M I had no banding issues. I tried a Bescor adjustable led light panel for lighting and it seemed to work very well for me, but the weight made it top heavy somewhat, but it was worth it for some of the images I took.

I tried to make my PP flow with the DSLR I had also, and yes it was quite difficult for me as well, even B and W's for both PP looked totally different than what I expected, I def. prefer the Leica rendering over the DSLR thats for sure!

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 12:10 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.797 #2 · p.797 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron >>>> Jawad, ... I wonder if a lower angle with more of a reflection of the boy in the table would have worked? But with kids, it's difficult to keep them in one spot for long.

You are right, it would be better. I tried a few things while he was there. This one does not have his reflection but it has a bit more context:

Edited on Dec 01, 2013 at 12:20 PM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2013 at 12:13 PM
nicolab
• •
p.797 #3 · p.797 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi there!
Just traded my X100S and an SLR lens for an M8 second hand, since I like the 35 FOV I added an used 28/2,8 III serie. What a joy focusing through a real rangefinder! Hope I'll improve my shots with this beautiful camera in my hands!

Dec 01, 2013 at 12:14 PM
jamgolf
• •
p.797 #4 · p.797 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam >>>> Jam and CVickery - You obviously took the same sunset, despite the distance between the two of you.

I guess Ontario had quite a bit more dramatic sunset which Cal captured, DFW was not bad as you noted

Dec 01, 2013 at 12:19 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.797 #5 · p.797 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Question for 90 lens users

I got a 90 cron from a FMer here a few days ago, and mounted a 1.4 mag on it, love the lens, but my keeper rate has drop, I usually shoot 28, 35, 50 most of the time with higher keeper rate

It is the same on my M and MM keeper wise so I am thinking maybe it's my technique, for awhile I was thinking it was front focusing, but it seems the more I use it in decent light the better I will be acclimated to the focal length

Def. seems a bit harder to use a 90 than I thought originally? Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated! I also am near sighted and don't use my glasses ever when I shoot, wonder if thats the issue

Should have got a 75

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:17 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.797 #6 · p.797 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi Phil,

I don't have the 90 cron but I use the Sonnar 85. After having the lens adjusted, my keeper rate is close to 100% on stationary subjects. However, my accuracy suffered a lot when I used the 1.4x magnifier. I know it doesn't make sense but this is what happened and I was very glad to get rid of the magnifier. My keeper rate is back to 100%.

jojomon11 wrote:

I got a 90 cron from a FMer here a few days ago, and mounted a 1.4 mag on it, love the lens, but my keeper rate has drop, I usually shoot 28, 35, 50 most of the time with higher keeper rate

It is the same on my M and MM keeper wise so I am thinking maybe it's my technique, for awhile I was thinking it was front focusing, but it seems the more I use it in decent light the better I will be acclimated to the focal length

Def. seems a bit harder
...Show more

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:27 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.797 #7 · p.797 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
Thanks Ron, also another great set you just posted. Love the colors and the skin tones for the last two. The lower contrast was a post processing choice, the lens is almost perfect save for the starry bokeh highlights due to the inward-curving aperture blades.

Adam, have you tried not zooming into the picture while the camera is still accessing the card (indicator light blinking)? In my experience, the magenta cast only appears on the 3rd zoom level, and I notice the camera usually takes a longer time to process the operation between the 2nd to 3rd zoom level, compared to
...Show more

Maybe that's my problem, but honestly the magenta cast doesn't really bother me.. I'm still able to check focus, and that's all I really use the screen for anyway.. And even then, only when the subject is moving, or something didn't feel right.

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:39 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.797 #8 · p.797 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Hi Phil,

I don't have the 90 cron but I use the Sonnar 85. After having the lens adjusted, my keeper rate is close to 100% on stationary subjects. However, my accuracy suffered a lot when I used the 1.4x magnifier. I know it doesn't make sense but this is what happened and I was very glad to get rid of the magnifier. My keeper rate is back to 100%.

Wow Edwards, that doesn't make sense I will def. give that a try, if it works you will be my hero

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:39 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.797 #9 · p.797 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:

Def. seems a bit harder
...Show more

Honestly, I have the same problem with all the 90mm lenses I've owned.. Really tricky to focus, became very hit or miss for me (90 tele-elmarit E39 was easiest to focus on distant subjects, and not because of the increased DOF)..

The 75APO has a much much higher keeper rate then the 90 APO for me.

I guess if you're using the M240 get yourself the EVF. I have good luck with it. Though to be honest, it's much slower then the Optical RF (found that out surprisingly while shooting the Noctilux in Tokyo [after the RF was fixed of course]).

I'll add that I have the 1.25x(?) magnifier, and I find it very troublesome.

Dec 01, 2013 at 01:57 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.797 #10 · p.797 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Some shots from my LA/SF trip a month or so back.. I think all of these are taken with the 50APO most likely @ f/2

Only really kept/included this shot of a wall because I was blown away by the detail in the TIF file across the frame:
1)

This was at a creepy old time arcade museum in SF:
2)

Again in SF, I think they call it Pier 39:
3)

Walking away from Pier 39(?), you can see the oval flare creeping into this image:
4)

Around Pier 39 area:
5)

Santa Monica beach:
6)

A window in SF (yes my photos are ping ponging around):
7)

Another SF shot, neat car park entrance:
8)

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fursan
• •
p.797 #11 · p.797 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Folks, I am grateful for your encouragement and humbled by your generosity.

Thank you all so very much.

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:35 PM
Fursan
• •
p.797 #12 · p.797 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

nibutto wrote:
Hi there!
Just traded my X100S and an SLR lens for an M8 second hand, since I like the 35 FOV I added an used 28/2,8 III serie. What a joy focusing through a real rangefinder! Hope I'll improve my shots with this beautiful camera in my hands!

Congratulations. The M8 is a wonderful image making machine. Wonderful.

You bring the vision, that is the sole condition. The M8 shall make it for you.

Good luck.

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:38 PM
Fursan
• •
p.797 #13 · p.797 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Here are some more from the archives..M8 and the cron 75 apo..

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.797 #14 · p.797 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Honestly, I have the same problem with all the 90mm lenses I've owned.. Really tricky to focus, became very hit or miss for me (90 tele-elmarit E39 was easiest to focus on distant subjects, and not because of the increased DOF)..

The 75APO has a much much higher keeper rate then the 90 APO for me.

I guess if you're using the M240 get yourself the EVF. I have good luck with it. Though to be honest, it's much slower then the Optical RF (found that out surprisingly while shooting the Noctilux in Tokyo [after the RF was fixed of course]).
...Show more

Thanks Adam,

When I followed Edwards advise, my hit rate went back up to 90% plus! Pretty stoked with the 90 now

The 1.25 I def. need for the 50 and 35's

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 02:58 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.797 #15 · p.797 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Hi Phil,

Edwards Thanks! Your my hero for today!

I removed the 1.4 mag and my hit rate went back up to 90% plus, my confidence level went back up again on the 90.

A bit surprised about this, as I just bought the mag used here on FM for a good price, but now feel it's useless, gonna put it back for sale on the boards again

I was planning to bring the lens to steves camera for a CA, but so far w/o the mag it isn't needed!

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 03:02 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.797 #16 · p.797 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Fursan and I might add that the M8 is an excellent crop camera, esp for B and W work

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 03:06 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.797 #17 · p.797 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Wonderful stuff all, esp. Edwards I always love you raw street scenes and cityscapes!

Thanks Ron

Yes the difficulty for me is the iso esp. in a very dark church or outdoors in the evening. Pushing iso on the MM causes banding on some of my shots, esp. in the darks and shadows, but the M I had no banding issues. I tried a Bescor adjustable led light panel for lighting and it seemed to work very well for me, but the weight made it top heavy somewhat, but it was worth it for some of the images I took.

I tried to
...Show more

Hi Phil, that's interesting about the MM. I recall Joe saying he's also seen banding with it, while others haven't. I'm not surprised though, since it's just an M9 with a modified sensor... I'm still getting some banding, but for the most part it seems to be fairy under control as long as I don't push the camera too hard or constantly review images while it's writing to the card. While I think the amount of 'low level' banding with the Panasonic Gold SDHC cards is better than what I was getting with the Transcend cards, because it's more random when there is banding, meaning it's less discernible, my feeling is the amount of banding is a touch higher overall (if comparing black frames pushed 3-5 stops in post, which isn't normally a realistic form of post production). So far, sticking to ISO 640 and pushing in post seems to work well at minimizing banding. I wonder if with the MM that would equate to the same technique, but topping out at ISO 1250?

I've been curious about the LED light panels... to use one on the M9 for some fill light. But so far I've found the cheaper ones tend to have a green color cast and the more compact ones are fairly useless in brighter ambient light... For indoor/night use it might be worth trying...

In fact, this image was done with an LED video light... not mine, rather, the other photographer always brings one and it does come in handy. Here I was the 'light stand' holding the light for his shot, but also grabbed a few.

Regarding the problems you were having with focus consistency and the 90mm lens... I also tried and pretty much gave up on using the 1.4x magnifier. I think with it you spend too much time trying to perfect the focus and end up over analyzing it... Without the magnifier, the RF patch more or less pops into alignment when all is perfect. I found that a diopter correction eyepiece helped a lot, thanks to Charles's suggestion and experience.

Edward, thanks for the nickname. Great Planar presence in the flag series, particularly the first one.
Joakim, I love the light and shadows and am a sucker for doors and windows.
Jawad. Thanks for the follow up and context. I think you were right to select the first examples as it works better overall.
Adrian - I agree the 50's star-shaped aperture is kind of annoying, but sometimes can be used to good effect. But if I had the choice, would prefer a rounder shape.
nibutto - congrats and hopefully it will be a long and fulfilling photographic relationship! Looking forward to seeing more. That's also a lens I don't think we've seen much from in this thread. At least for me, the pre-ASPH 28s are an unknown area.
Adam - thanks - I can see that 50AA lens flare example could be problematic. Have you been able to determine if the problem was fixed? Interesting collection of images.
Fursan - great set and like the birds & silhouette!

Here's another random one from the wedding...

The one at top was with the 21 Lux, the one above was 21mm, but don't remember if it was the Lux or SEM...

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:05 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.797 #18 · p.797 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I had the 1.4x mag for a while. I also use a -1.0 diopter (which helps me a lot). When I first received the 1.4x I added the -1.0 diopter and found that I was basically unable to focus accurately at all. I removed the diopter and it worked much better. My take on this is that the 1.4x may require an additional/different diopter than the bare VF to work well with your eyes.

jojomon11 wrote:
Edwards Thanks! Your my hero for today!

I removed the 1.4 mag and my hit rate went back up to 90% plus, my confidence level went back up again on the 90.

A bit surprised about this, as I just bought the mag used here on FM for a good price, but now feel it's useless, gonna put it back for sale on the boards again

I was planning to bring the lens to steves camera for a CA, but so far w/o the mag it isn't needed!

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:17 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.797 #19 · p.797 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
...CVickery, those colours are out of this world! Was that how it looked?...

For colour, pretty much as I remember. I did add some clarity and contrast to add definition to the clouds.

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:22 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.797 #20 · p.797 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

That dude getting some rays is hilarious Ron!

Next wedding I do next year, I will hire a non-photog assistant to hold my led light panels for me and carry my gear. Planning to do a all leica wedding next year solo The family as agreed with me to do this Now I have to talk them into it being a B and W wedding

Thanks for the info, yes as soon as I removed my 1.4 mag, all went well I am a happy camper now

I might even try it w/o using my 1.25 mag, I did miss a few shots, that I swore I got after I took them

Phil

Dec 01, 2013 at 06:54 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.