FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              793      
       795              1382       1383       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.794 #1 · p.794 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Two from my M9/75 Cron. F5.7 I rotated lenses between 35/70 on the two cameras, doing a "switch" at some point during the day. I like that option, the two camera option...

f5.7 @ 400 ISO

This image I processed quite a bit to get the look I wanted.

f 4.0 @ 500 ISO

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:09 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #2 · p.794 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
That would be surprising in fact. Normally I hear the opposite story, people complain that their M9 came back from Solms upgraded to the latest firmware while for some reasons they preferred to keep the older version. My understanding though, from following the M threads on LUF, is that this camera still exhibits some erratic behavior from time to time so it's not impossible your M is going through one of the hiccup periods Chances are it's not related to the firmware version.

Perhaps, but again after the update I took tons of shots, and the camera was almost perfect.. So its quite the coincidental hiccup if that's what it is.

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:15 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #3 · p.794 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

atwl77 wrote:
Adam,
I find it odd/curious that the tech couldn't say a thing about the magenta cast. A "known but shut up until we have an answer" case, maybe?

Anyway, besides resetting the firmware, have you tried formatting your cards using SD Formatter? Also do you shoot DNG only or DNG+JPG?

I had the occasional magenta cast before, but oddly I have not seen it for weeks now. The only change I remember is to switch from DNG to DNG+JPG (in order to get better previews to judge focus), and also to not immediately zoom in right after taking the shot, always waiting for
...Show more

Yeah, I think that it's something "known" but not really acknowledged until I guess a fix comes along? As even Leica by email denied knowing about the issue "never ran into this problem before".

I have some cards with SD formatter and some without, no real performance difference for me.
I've always used DNG compressed. No JPG, but I must be honest, the few weeks leading up to the trip my camera started doing some other weird business.

1) When zoomed in, all the blacks would wash out (contrast would be stripped out of the photo, and it would lighten by one stop)

or

2) when you would zoom in, the image would go super soft like image if you could turn the softness down in LR to -50

So now that I think about it, maybe Edward is right, and it's just been there all along, just hiccups in different ways, and for some odd reason, maybe from being connected to a computer at the service center, it hiccuped back to magenta cast?

Guys my firmware is: 2.0.0.11

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:27 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #4 · p.794 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Rayyan, wonderful images!
Edward, great shot! Love the lighting here

Adam, sorry about of your problems! I would insist with local Leica agents, that the issues must be resolved, and provide backup until it is resolved. I am suspect there is an electronic issue, but it must be fully tested in the lab. Having had the 50 Cron AA and now the M240, you should be able to leverage some decent service your local agents. In Australia, I being provided with another M240, while mine is being re calibrated in Solms, so I can only speak well of Leica for now

Update on
...Show more

Charles, they just tell me flat out NO... And actually I have had three M240 cameras pass through my hands (that whole pre-order fiasco) so I should have tons of leverage, but nobody really cares over here.

It's great that you're liking the Sony setup, I'm surprised to hear that your wide angles work so well.. This is almost the exact opposite of what I've seen on the net. I actually would have picked one up in Tokyo had I read your post first (I never use the menu settings, so the Japanese wouldn't have bothered me, besides my wife could have went through the menus with me, since she was the one that setup the store demo for me). From hand holding it, I did like it, and would definitely get one once a lot more of the rumored lens start becoming available.. Honestly at least the 55 1.8 sutofocus lens, because I quite like how it looks.

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:34 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #5 · p.794 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi Joe, good images!

You were so close to my neck of the woods

Yeah the issue doesn't even bother me enough to send it in, just found it odd, and wanted to share.. And I've often considered having two M cameras, but let's be honest, I'm not using it for work, so really it's hard to justify buying two bodies (to use one as a backup).. I've done that at one point with the M9 cameras, and I never used them both at the same time like I do with my DSLR gear.

Maybe if I used the camera more for work, and less for vacations, I'd consider a second M, and maybe even a Monochrom for those really low light shots

OFF TO PICKUP MY 50APO.... Let's hope they did a good job!

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:38 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #6 · p.794 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joe, and others. I have a few other angles of this same view to process. I hope I can remember what I did, lol. I to often do things on the fly, then when I want to recreate them, uhhh, I have to recreate them. lol.

thanks much.

Nov 29, 2013 at 04:00 AM
Fursan
• •
p.794 #7 · p.794 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Deep inside Arctic Sweden. I stop here. My wife constructs the marker for other trekkers and moves on in search of Valhalla

Nov 29, 2013 at 04:35 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.794 #8 · p.794 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Joe, wonderful images!!! Amazing setup, and I would imagine the prints from these shots would be amazing
Doug, love the first shot above. Very nice
Rayyan, really nice!
Adam, Good Luck!! The only WA I have tried with the A7r is the 24 Lux, which works. I have not tried any others, as my main focus is on the 50's/75. I have the FE 35/2.8, which is a great lens on its own. I have relegated the WA's to the M240

Edited on Nov 29, 2013 at 05:18 AM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2013 at 04:53 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.794 #9 · p.794 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Fursan (aka Rayyan), wow, amazing photos!

CVickery, congrats for the new toy Excellent performance wide open.

Adam, hope you get this problem sorted out soon. Good luck with the 50AA.

Charles, thanks for the comments and it's great to hear your lenses are working well with the 7R. Eventhough I already reserved a 7 from next production batch I'm still undecided whether the 7R would be better. There are many reports that its AF works better than the 7.

Joe, welcome back! Great shots from KL! Your biceps and forearms must a bit bigger now from carrying the S2 around Next time please stop by in Bangkok Yes, I had the ZM 85 CLA'd by Zeiss, but the calibration was still a bit off. Fortunately a local Leica shop did it for me and it is now perfectly adjusted.

Doug, excellent work!

Nov 29, 2013 at 05:05 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #10 · p.794 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks guys, it takes as long to process as it does to shoot, ever noticed that? Maybe longer! I have been at it since this AM. Busy day.

M9/75 Cron The M9 got a good workout today.

"Dripping"

"Tangled"

Nov 29, 2013 at 05:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #11 · p.794 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

at first I wasn't real sure about this shot after processing it. But I'll show it anyway. Maybe it looks better than I think. lol. M 240/75 Cron

I was taken by the bright trees with snow still stuck on them as I came into the park today. I pulled off to shoot them: These are processed differently.

Nov 29, 2013 at 05:21 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #12 · p.794 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

One more... Type 240 image, 75 Cron. Honest, I will use my 50 Lux more once I get it adjusted. But for now, the risk of missing focus is to great until I send it to Leica. So, I shoot 35 or 75 usually. not much call for 24mm right now... Ok, I could shoot my 24 more, but it's sometimes, more trouble than it's worth changing lenses to much. I'd rather crop or seam multple images a lot of times.

Nov 29, 2013 at 05:48 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #13 · p.794 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Doug I like the first image (where you were hesitant about the processing) of the trees much better then the second (seems more cleaner, gives me that untouched impression).. But your pano type shot is FANTASTIC!

Fursan - Great shot, wish my wife was as adventurous.. Unless there's a 5+ star hotel right behind you, I don't think I could get her to go there with me.

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:02 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #14 · p.794 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Joe, wonderful images!!! Amazing setup, and I would imagine the prints from these shots would be amazing
Doug, love the first shot above. Very nice
Rayyan, really nice!
Adam, Good Luck!! The only WA I have tried with the A7r is the 24 Lux, which works. I have not tried any others, as my main focus is on the 50's/75. I have the FE 35/2.8, which is a great lens on its own. I have relegated the WA's to the M240

Charles, Edward thanks.. The second I got the lens, it started raining, so I have no idea about optical performance.. Few things to note though (and I'm just being picky at this point):

1) The rear plastic cap now fits on SOO tight I almost pulled off the little red ball trying to take the back cap off, this also effects how it clicks onto my camera (wonder why this is?!)

2) The very loose aperture ring wasn't fixed (but they replaced the whole lens, only retaining the serial number at my request).. Maybe this is a personal preference thing, or a design aspect, but I would have preferred them to have made it a little more stiff, like I requested.

3) More dust inside the lens then before (like a lot more dust).

4) The focus is really stiff (but this is a good thing, as I bet it'll soften up in a couple of weeks)

5) AND the most annoying... The lens hood no longer clicks into place the way it use to on full extension. I mean, it stops in place, but before it really CLICKED, and that kinda annoys me, as it seems they forgot the ball bearing that makes it click. And it's a bit more wobbly (something isn't right with the hood).

Maybe I'm just fussy, but now I'm weary of Leica after dropping so much money and having my lens gone over a month.

I will add, all that matters is that the optics are as fantastic as before (minus the horrid flare that ruined images). And if that happens, I'll be happy

Oh and Charles, I hear the 35 is a jewel of a lens, and I think I would buy the A7r exclusively for the use of the autofocus Zeiss glass... But at the same time, would be glad that it could work with M lenses, incase my M240 ever falls out of alignment again.

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:09 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #15 · p.794 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Adam, I liked those 2 shots of trees much better when I first viewed them than I did when I put them up on my site.

but I agree, I felt the Pano type shot based on a 75 Cron horizontal crop to create a pano, was pretty nice after processing. I did boost the sky color a bit in a split process in Color Efex Pro IV. I also used pro contrast setting to help the tree detail.

You know if a person gets a couple of great images from a day's work, the day was worth it. I'd say today, those two overall shots delivered that for me. I am happy with the images. Conditions were a little difficult, cold, snowy, slick, you just find a spot and take your time, and try to get something good. It didn't always work out good, but I did have good "zen" like shoots, even if the shots weren't that great at times today. That to me is important. I enjoy those times.

thanks much!
Doug

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:20 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.794 #16 · p.794 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

3D.Doug wrote:
Thank you Adam, I liked those 2 shots of trees much better when I first viewed them than I did when I put them up on my site.

but I agree, I felt the Pano type shot based on a 75 Cron horizontal crop to create a pano, was pretty nice after processing. I did boost the sky color a bit in a split process in Color Efex Pro IV. I also used pro contrast setting to help the tree detail.

You know if a person gets a couple of great images from a day's work, the day was worth it. I'd
...Show more

Agree, and I think that's the great thing about the RF experience for me. Even if I get a few images from a whole day of having the camera strapped around my neck, it's worth it.. Partly due to the weight, partly due to the cool factor of the M system.

IF I were to use a DSLR, it would be less fun, more weight, and overall I'd feel a little more silly (like a tourist with a camera), and I would hope to get a whole ton of keepers, or I'd feel it wasn't worth lugging the DSLR around.

Nov 29, 2013 at 08:26 AM
profus

p.794 #17 · p.794 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M9-P / 50 Lux

facebook.com/asmfotodk

Nov 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #18 · p.794 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Happy to give you your second like for a nice shot of two young ladies Profus. Excellent detail and blacks, and nice bokeh.

Nov 29, 2013 at 03:28 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.794 #19 · p.794 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes, Adam, Charles, Edward and everyone else. I apologize for not commenting on everyones' individual pics in recent pages, otherwise it might take me till 2015 to catch up

Doug, looks like you are enjoying your M240 and 75Cron? I like #1 on p.839 post #14 best together with the earlier on I commented earlier.
Rayyan, excellent pics from past few pages.
Adam, sorry to hear about your 50Cron APO's "idiosyncrasies". Hopefully you get to try it out more often next few weeks. I think with all handmade products, sometimes we just have to live with the flaws, although I agree that this is unacceptable to many.

----
A few with M(240), Nocti 0.95 during my meetings in Kuala Lumpur earlier this month.

Nov 29, 2013 at 05:01 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.794 #20 · p.794 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joe. Thanks for the likes. :-) I really like both cameras, M240 and M9. I discovered, that I go between using both quite freely, without skipping a beat, because Leica's menu setup is so simple to begin with. A few button changes mean little difference in the Leica feel. I found myself getting much more in practice on rangefinder focus yesterday, and getting quicker with it.

I shot for a while with 75 on the M240, and the 35 lux on the M9. Then I reversed lenses, and shot the other camera with the other lens for a while. That was fun to do. I love having me 2 Leica cameras while nature shooting! Street, I might feel differently.

The 75 Cron, I absolutely love this lens! I think it's my favorite, when I have 3 summiluxes. My only complaint on it is that it doesn't have the finger adjustment slot like the 35 and 50 lux does. But the 24 doesn't have it either, so I guess that makes some sense. mid-focal lengths have them, longer and wider, no. I do focus the 75 easily though.

I sold my 90mm to help me keep my M9 right now. More on that later. I think it was the right decision for me. I don't feel a need above 75mm at this point.

If I do, I may wind up with a Novaflex adapter and use my R 85mm lux. Since nobody seems to want to buy it, I guess I'll wind up using it or sending it off to ebay. I hate to ebay, honestly.

Doug

Nov 29, 2013 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password