Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              777      
       779              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.778 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, I know what you mean, Indiana Jones movies are what really inspired me to study archaeology, but in reality it's nothing like that There are no treasures to be found, just tedious digging in the dirt with brushes that look very similar to visible dust sensor brushes I was lucky to become the official photographer of the archaeological excavations in downtown Beirut for several years before moving to Bangkok.

To be honest, I have always noticed the similarity in drawing style between the ZM planar and the ZE MP. The optical formula of the 50 AA is quite similar to the ZM planar, but certainly the ZM is not as sharp especially wide open, and the bokeh not as smooth. The MTF tell the whole story. I would personally take the 50 AA over the Lux, because I can't stand to have the resolution drop in zone B while a slight loss in zone C is perfectly acceptable for me. With the 50 AA you don't have to worry about any resolution drop, even wide open. The perfect lens.

Aug 16, 2013 at 06:09 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.778 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam - LOVE LOVE the horse images. The processing is great too. Can you expound upon this 50 AA? Is this the summicron? I don't know Leica lenses that well and am currently shopping for a good 50mm ...

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:18 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.778 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mike, great set! The 35 Nokton portraits are excellent. They shot at 1.2? I am always amazed when using the lens at f/1.2 at how sharp it really is. My favorite though is the Canon 50 f/1.2 of the man. Love the bokeh in that. I know you typically used Canons in the past...is this a move to a new system or just for fun on the side?

Thanks! That 35 is really incredible. Yes, those were all shot wide open. Their 21 1.8 Ultron is equally impressive. Really blown away with those two lenses and have no desire to replace them with Leica glass.

WAY back in the day I had a full Canon setup, but I transitioned to Nikon in 2010. I had been wanting to try out Leica for awhile, so between the recent price drops on M9s, killer new Voigt glass, and picking up a number of travel gigs, I figured now was the time. Now I use my Leica kit for about 80% of my work, with my (shrinking) Nikon kit pulling in the other 20%. There are a few things that I'll have to always keep my Nikon around for, but for the majority of my professional work, Leica it is.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:11 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.778 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Ryan, Adam, and Edward
Gary, nice capture Yes I think I am hooked on the 21 SEM
Mike, great shots!!
Ryan, very nice evening shots. Go to love the M-M with the high ISO
Edward, love the feel of this shot! Would be really great experience Definitely an Indiana Jones moment. I think this is one of reasons I love exploring the temples in Bali, Indonesia and Thailand!!
Adam, love the horse shots! I really like the way the 50 Cron AA renders. I thought it would be too harsh with horses. The 28 Cron, is a very nice lens with the M240. It is different, and I do think you have pick the lighting that it is best suited with. Normally my pick is the 50 Nocti/Lux for evening street portraits, whereas others prefer the look of the 28 Cron.
Allen, great street series! Love the variety of compositions.

Shots from last night with the test 21 SEM and M240 on Surfers Paradise beach I am very impressed with the 21 SEM, as I was very reluctant to have any more lenses!!! This lens reminds me very much of the ZE 21 distagon in sharpness and rendering.

Edited on Aug 17, 2013 at 02:00 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:42 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles..

Beautiful rich color. I really like the last one. The shadows of the palms really give it a sense of place. They all are good.

Aug 17, 2013 at 01:44 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.778 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Airfrogusmc - that set is spectacular. Really great street work; the light, tones and lines just come together so nicely.

Charles - that first shot is stellar.

Thank you to whoever told me to create a new LR catalog to solve my "not enough memory" issue ... it worked like a charm. I had waaaay to many images in that catalog.

Went on a late walk today around town.... just some shots from around my little town square. All with the CV 28 1.9. I had a total of 14 keepers from just this walk. That's like a record for me! Will post more in a bit; don't want to be a board hog.

and to show you how I have to get around ... doesn't he look less than thrilled?

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:34 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Katie and great set yourself. Looks like you are taking to the M-E quite nicely. Love the light and the real small town feel of #2.

Didn't ZZ-Top have a song about LaGrange?

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:47 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.778 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Allen and Katie
Katie, magic late afternoon lighting in all the shots! The fact that the M-E is with you on a casual walk, taking shots speaks wonders about the M system

Aug 17, 2013 at 02:53 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles I so agree. I take my MM almost everywhere. Its just not a hassle to do.

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

KatieInTexas
• • •
p.778 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you both. Yes, this system travels WELL. It's just like carrying my little Bessa. I'm a slave to the SLR no more ... never again!

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:20 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.778 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

And yes, Airfrogusmc - there is a nice little song about my town by ZZ top. There was also quite a famous ranch here ... and a movie about it? Know what I'm talking about?

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:21 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Never saw the film but is the ranch still in biz?

I am in the process of moving completely over to Leica even for my professional work. WIth a little luck in the next 4 years I will be DSLR less.

This is my favorite thread on FM. I think the most talented photographers are posting here (excluding myself of course). I get inspired daily from tuning in. I have to formally apologize for not always commenting. My excuse, which is not much of one, is this thread moves fast at times and work can keep me away for days sometimes. I do hit the like button often though.

Allen

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:28 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.778 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I feel the EXACT same way, Allen (and thanks for telling your name - I really don't like using user names when conversing; it sounds so rude!). Ok - I'll board hog, since I'm the only lame-o sitting at my computer on a Friday night (with Ninja Turtles blaring in the next room).

And, no, the Chicken Ranch is long gone (thanks Marvin Zindler). You should watch the movie; you'll recognize the town square from my pics!

Aug 17, 2013 at 03:48 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

NICE looks like a great place.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:00 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.778 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I'm right with ya on a Friday night. I'm old. Thats my excuse (LoL)

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:01 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.778 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great shots.
Especially noticed the 50mm shots of the last few pages really show a variety in the rendering styles of each lens.

Aug 17, 2013 at 04:18 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.778 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Adam - LOVE LOVE the horse images. The processing is great too. Can you expound upon this 50 AA? Is this the summicron? I don't know Leica lenses that well and am currently shopping for a good 50mm ...

Hi Katie, I have the 50 Summicron APO, not to be confused with the regular 50 Summicron (both lenses are decently similar though). I'd suggest if you want a good 50mm lens, to look at the 50 Planar ZM from Carl Zeiss, it's gonna get you the closest to what I've got, without such a heavy investment. Another good lens to seek out if you want speed would be the 50 1.5 CV (since you're already familiar with the 28CV), but if budget isn't a concern then I'd suggest the 50 Summilux-asph. Sorry if this is all overwhelming, and honestly if you're confused, just go for the 50 Planar ZM.. It's a FANTASTIC lens.

BTW, nice photos, you're off to a great start!

charles.K - Love the 21 SEM shots (especially the first, that one sold me), I'm thinking thats my next purchase. Way down the road.

airfrogusmc - Great shots. You nailed the third from the bottom, do you focus and wait, or try to follow?

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:21 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.778 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
Never saw the film but is the ranch still in biz?

I am in the process of moving completely over to Leica even for my professional work. WIth a little luck in the next 4 years I will be DSLR less.

This is my favorite thread on FM. I think the most talented photographers are posting here (excluding myself of course). I get inspired daily from tuning in. I have to formally apologize for not always commenting. My excuse, which is not much of one, is this thread moves fast at times and work can keep me away for days
...Show more

What do you shoot professionally? And what do you shoot X with?

I've toyed with the idea of switching over to the M-system professionally, but I don't actually think it's a smart move for me. That and my wife things that using the M for work, would taint the user experience, and that then when I use it outside of work, it would still feel like work (sort of how I don't like using my DSLRs outside of work anymore).

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:23 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.778 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Adam, I know what you mean, Indiana Jones movies are what really inspired me to study archaeology, but in reality it's nothing like that There are no treasures to be found, just tedious digging in the dirt with brushes that look very similar to visible dust sensor brushes I was lucky to become the official photographer of the archaeological excavations in downtown Beirut for several years before moving to Bangkok.

To be honest, I have always noticed the similarity in drawing style between the ZM planar and the ZE MP. The optical formula of the 50 AA is
...Show more

Yeah, if Indiana Jones movies were reflections of real life, I'd have before an archaeologist myself
Being an official photographer for digs might be cool. I wouldn't mind that job at all, assuming cool stuff was being dug up.

I still to this day don't know how to read MTF charts, but what I do know is, if I focus and recompose the 50APO, for portraits, the eye is likely to stay sharp. If I do that with the 50Lux, even on f/2 or 2.8, the image is likely to be soft. Unless I get lucky and roll forward or backwards in the exact right degree.. Which isn't something I often do right. It is a really great lens, I'll give it that. I just don't know if I could give up the 50Lux, maybe if I had a Noct for speed, I could..

Aug 17, 2013 at 05:28 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password