Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              776      
       778              1041       1042       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

muc_marlin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.777 #1 · p.777 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, I totally love the first shot....just awesome! Thanks for the comment on my pictures.

Aug 15, 2013 at 05:50 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.777 #2 · p.777 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward for the info. I need to decide if I would like a grip or not ... time will tell I suppose!

Zhangyue: Amazing tonality in those B&W shots. Love them all!

Aug 15, 2013 at 06:26 PM
joakim
• • •
p.777 #3 · p.777 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great photos guys, this thread moves so fast sometimes.

Another set from Shetland, this time from a small island named Bressay not far from the main city Lerwick where we stayed. All with the 24 Elmar.

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:23 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.777 #4 · p.777 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks all. Katie, not VSCO this time around

Michael, #1 is just awesome. The leaves look normal size until I scrolled down and see your boy. Then it shows the size. #4 has great color to it, like the shot very much

Joakim, without seeing what lens was used my head was saying 24 Elmar...has that signature. One of the best landscape lenses I have ever used. #2 is my favorite

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.777 #5 · p.777 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13, tried VSCO 04 after seeing some of the striking contrast and color in your pictures. Maybe I took the wrong approach because I used the VSCO presets to reprocess a few of the my pictures that I like the best, rather than just taking pictures that I has not PPed before. My conclusion was that M9 files are very easy to process with LR5 to get a slide film look and that VSCO 04 didn't add anything to the process, but actually (1) produced some colors with over the top saturation (usually yellows) that had to be then dealt with, and (2) offered so many choices of presets that using the sliders in LR5 was simpler and faster — sort of like Eggleston's dictum that he tries not to take more than one version of a shot because it's too difficult and time-conuming afterward to figure out which one to use. Am I missing something here in my approach to VSCO 04?

The picture below is an another example of nightshots I've been taking not using the external 21mm finder (a "no-finder shot"), holding the camera at chest height and pointed a bit upward. This is using the "Shoot at ISO 640 and Push in Post" technique, with the Exposure on the main subjects at the right pushed 4.15 stops, equivalent to ISO 11,776.

Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 4.15 stops on main subject | f/4.0 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.777 #6 · p.777 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch, not all files will work with VSCO 04. By far, this is the pickiest of all the VSCO offerings. The file has to be able to handle high contrast, high saturation. For the shooting I do around town, this works great. For night shooting, forget about it. You will lose far too much detail with the high contrast and deep blacks. As far as moving a slider or two and getting the same result - no way. The colors, saturation, vividness, deep contrast...all this would take far more work than just a slider or two. I will say though, the files that it hits right it does a great job. I took 3 random files and applied VSCO 04 to the three of them and did end up finding something for all three. When it hits right, it almost feels like the file has more dof just from the processing. I really like the vividness of these presets

original

Fuji Provia

original

Fuji Velvia

Fuji Provia

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:21 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.777 #7 · p.777 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys
Peter, wow...superb series!!! I really love the layering of your mountain scapes and the PP'ing.
Lenticular, nice set!
Ryan, the love the tones with the M-M, and in particular #1
Michael, what a great set! My favourites are #1 and 3, as almost look surreal

Edward, the RX1R is lighter, but without a EVF and using the LV, the ergonomics of using low shutter speeds is not easy. I have found it much easier with the M9P with the shutter on silent. The M240 has virtually no vibration, and it is easier to hold at low shutter speeds.

Joakim, really nice shots!

Mitch, nice capture!
Ryan, excellent series! Love the before and after comparisons, and the bee in flight motion captured in the first shot

I have been offered 2 copies of second 21 SEM's, which I will try out this next week. I am not sure, as I prefer the 24 Lux for WA work. Any thoughts here??

Shots from last night M240 50 Lux ISO 3200 and f/1.4

Edited on Aug 16, 2013 at 05:15 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:30 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.777 #8 · p.777 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13, thanks for taking the trouble of posting the before and after VSCO 04 comparisons. Do you find that you expose some shots differently with the presets in mind, or do you think it's worthwhile to do so, in which case, how would you adjust exposure. I find that getting a "slide look" in LR5 is easy, with the most important step being to pull the Black slider back into negative number territory after clicking "Automatic." But I agree with you, it would be very difficult to get the wonderful colors and contrast of the shot of your daughter,

Charles, good image quality on the M240 ISO 3200, but I still have reservations about the color rendition. Have you tried the VSCO 04 presets with M240 files?

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Aug 16, 2013 at 02:58 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.777 #9 · p.777 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan - yes, thanks for the before and afters.
Charles - your wife(?) is so pretty... and those files look great to me!
Mitch - thanks for being so helpful!

Playing with the Elmar 9cm tonight -- we had 103 degrees, then a storm that knocked out the power! I managed to snap a few shots using some OCF (as shooting inside with this lens isn't easy). This one processed in VSCO 3 - gave it some polaroid feel.

M9 Digital Camera    Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm f/4 lens    90mm    f/4.0    1/125s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:28 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.777 #10 · p.777 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joakim - that second shot is breathtaking! Forgot to mention that!

Aug 16, 2013 at 03:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.777 #11 · p.777 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch and Katie, thank you
Mitch, I have the VSCO presets, but until I'm familiar with the new PP'ing with M240, I will keep with Lr5.2/PS6 for now
Katie, Marisa is my fiancee, an engineer also, from Brazil. I am certain she would appreciate the compliment! I love your low key shot, keeping the mystery within.

Shot this afternoon with the trial 21 SEM and M240 200 ISOO f/3.4 wide open.

Edited on Aug 16, 2013 at 05:19 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:31 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.777 #12 · p.777 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan - the SS on the first pic was 1/12 and the second was 1/30s. The benefits of shooting a Leica!
Charles - testing out the 21SEM!?! I knew it was just a matter of time....

Yet another hiking pic...

35cron asph

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:34 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.777 #13 · p.777 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A few from this week (cross posted from the 1.2 lenses thread):

M9 + CV 35 1.2 Nokton

M9 + Canon 50 1.2 LTM

M9 + CV 35 1.2 Nokton

M9 + Canon 50 1.2 LTM

M9 + CV 35 1.2 Nokton

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:52 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.777 #14 · p.777 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi Charles thanks for the thoughts on the 28cron.. I'm actually wondering though, how you feel image wise, not so much ease of use. I feel that the images have something "special" to them with the M9, but with the M240 they lack that something special.. But it's odd, since that's the only lens I've felt that way about. I like everything else better on the M240.. Really like the 21 SEM shot, wish the 50APO didn't make me poor

I've decided while in Phuket that I can't live without the 50lux, but also really like the 50APO, so I'm probably going to be the guy that ends up with 50APO 50LUX 50NOCT and nothing else

Guys great images!

mikethevilla - I like the M9 + Canon 50 1.2 LTM shot,

Gary - Wish I had someone to hike with while taking photos!

rsolti13 - Cracked and bought the vsco pack. Thanks a lot for making me turn on my ethics

joakim - Fantastic shots, love your PP technique for this set of 24mm shots!!

zhangyue - Like everyone said, first B&W photo

Two quick edits from Phuket. Both with 50APO @ f/2

Aug 16, 2013 at 07:00 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.777 #15 · p.777 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, excellent shot of Marisa. Really liking what I'm seeing at 3200

Mitch, I have been overexposing by about 2/3 a stop to account for slide pack. Yes, dragging the black down does help with the dark look of slide film, but it doesn't do anything for the colors. And...even looking on my crappy work monitor, the look of the file enhanced with VSCO is totally different than my original file. Maybe I'm seeing things, but the dof looks different.

Katie, nice portrait. Good conversion

Gary, what great scenery you have up there. Wish there was something close by up here where I could take the family hiking. Looks fun

Mike, great set! The 35 Nokton portraits are excellent. They shot at 1.2? I am always amazed when using the lens at f/1.2 at how sharp it really is. My favorite though is the Canon 50 f/1.2 of the man. Love the bokeh in that. I know you typically used Canons in the past...is this a move to a new system or just for fun on the side?

Adam, composition/colors on #2 are awesome. Very nice

MM with 50 Nokton II

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.777 #16 · p.777 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joakim, fantastic set. Great location and light.
Ryan, thank you very much for the comparisons. They look quite nice.
Charles, lovely portrait of Marisa
Katie, stunning portrait, a classic.
Mikethevilla, wow! Very powerful images.

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:13 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.777 #17 · p.777 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Byzantine ruins:

M9 + Biogon 35 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Aug 16, 2013 at 01:33 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.777 #18 · p.777 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 - Very nice, I like the first balloon shot (#3).

edwardkaraa - Cool, are those fellows talking about maintenance? As they really don't look like tourist just hanging out.

Various processes, on the last shot however, the flare is real. Actually I really love the flare from the 50APO, it's one of the coolest I've seen. Just balls of white, scattering to an assortment of rainbow colors that fade away. It's hard to see in the last image, because of the processing, but I think I've got one somewhere that's been minimally edited.. But I just felt like doing some crazy stuff this round.

Some more horse shots, all with the 50 APO @ f/2

Aug 16, 2013 at 04:05 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.777 #19 · p.777 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Adam. These are archaeologists arguing about the exact dating of the monument I myself have a degree in archaeology but never actually worked in this field. These guys are friends from university days.

Very nice shots with the 50 AA. I'm very impressed with the smooth bokeh even more than the sharpness.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.777 #20 · p.777 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa - Interesting info about your photo. I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was younger (more of a treasure hunter I think). But thought that by the time I got out of school, everything good would have been dug up already.

As for the 50APO, what I've noticed is, the bokeh is a lot more smooth and calm then the 50ZM (not that the ZM is at all bad, I love that lens), but the lenses are really very similar, I've been looking over a lot of M9p images that I took with the 50/2 zm and a lot of Canon images with the 50 MP ZE, to see what I think.. And I honestly believe that the 50APO does have an edge in both sharpness and bokeh, a lot to do with falloff. But still not the 50Lux bokeh wise, so it's really hard to say if it's worth it for me to hold onto it. Also it's hard to compare lenses, considering I used the ZM on the M9p and the MPZE on the Canon bodies.

Aug 16, 2013 at 05:54 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password