Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              763      
       765              1004       1005       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.764 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma, nice shot. love the background!

now this just isn't fair....MM at ISO 3200

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.764 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sorry, have been kind of awol from the thread and have missed a lot.

Ryan - congrats on the MM & 28 Cron. It will be really interesting to see how this works for you. So far your MM images are gorgeous! I haven't shot with one yet, but totally agree with you about the MM's files, having played with a number. They're so malleable and the lack of interpolation from a CFA gets rid of the chunkiness in the grain one can get from M9 B&W conversions. BTW, for M9 B&W conversions, I find it's critical to slide color noise reduction to zero. WB and tint also have an influence. Even though the image is 'B&W,' it's a superficial layer, under which resides the color original, still influencing the look of the B&W interpretation. Not so with the MM!

rirakuma - wow, the 50/1.5 Summarit is quite the departure from Zeissiness. Very nice work with it in a situation that could provoke veiling flare from the open sky in the background.

Michael - beautiful moments of your daughter! I thought you wrote she now tends to not like you photographing her? I love the playfulness of the first and the moodiness of the last.

Mitch - the first one #16, is by far my favorite here. But all have great color and mood.

Gary - for me this is why we we're creating images - documenting our lives. Great to see the Nikkor get some love and also the 180... really nice moments of your kids!

I will keep to the theme of youth

It wasn't until about the end of the day when I used a lens other than the 28 Cron. The last image above was with the 50 Lux ASPH.

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:58 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.764 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan - Wow the MM, nice, didn't realize you bought it.. I'v considered it, but I rarely if ever shoot black and white images (or even convert to black and white). I just like colors to much, so although it has numerous advantages, I might not be able to get past the mental block of not being able to shoot in color.

Ron - Great shots of the little boy. Nice capture on the last shot, really good moment.
Also, interesting take on the lens discussion. I'm leaning towards the 50APO as an everyday walk around lens, but if I don't get that and the Noct. I wouldn't likely sell the 50LUX to buy some random fun rendering lens like the sonnar or anything. I'd still want a as good as you're going to get fast lens.. Hence the Noct or Lux. Price wise the APO and Noct are killer on the budget, but the 50APO and the 50LUX are pretty doable (since I already have the lux), I'm just thinking that it would be truly a headache trying to decide which lens to bring out. Another option is going with the Noct. and the 50cron-non-apo, or the 50/2 ZM (which I really like). And still keep the LUX, but then I have a real headache with three 50mm lenses :?
Something I'll have to decide (firstworldproblems)..

On another note, I'll be testing a S-system this weekend if weather/time permits.
(if not, I'll be using the M-system, so either way I'll have some images to put up, finally).

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:42 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.764 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thank you Gary. This confirms my suspicion that banding is very body dependent. My M9 doesn't show any banding either, even when I push iso 2500 by 1 or 2 stops, while others have complained about banding even at iso 2500 or lower. The M240 seems to be similar in this respect.

I got banding when shooting a sequence with my M9, and it usually didn't show until about the 3rd successive shot. Different SD cards would make little differences, but I could repeat it over and over again when shooting successive shots without allowing a few seconds between buffer clears.

Jul 31, 2013 at 06:48 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.764 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice post on previous pages, and this page!

Very nice Gary love the rendering of that glass, sell it to me?

Ryan your are gonna love the high iso of the mono! It is so clean at 2400 it's superb! Looking at your stuff, is loosening the B and W block from my mind (seriously), I've been shooting in color with my Ricoh GR to keep me tame for awhile. now that I am starting to convert them to B and W, I believe I'm getting my sense's back for B and W

Ron that last one has some awesome lighting and 3D Pop! wow

Phil

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.764 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Very nice Gary love the rendering of that glass, sell it to me?

Sure Phil. Everything I own could be sold - for the right price.

Douglas - I will have to do some banding testing as I never shoot in C mode (unless by accident).

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:26 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.764 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Sure Phil. Everything I own could be sold - for the right price.

Douglas - I will have to do some banding testing as I never shoot in C mode (unless by accident).

You may even see the issue you take consecutive shots in single shot mode too quickly.

Jul 31, 2013 at 07:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.764 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Adam and Phil!

Adam - I vote 50AA because no one else here has one currently. Any of those combos can be rationalized, I guess... Where I can't comment from experience is the Nocti. It's definitely got a creamy/dreamy look, but how much more than the Lux ASPH? Sure, more, but in one-off images, is it going to offset other factors such as size, weight, cost? Not quite the same thing, but back in about 2007-8 I stopped shooting with the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS in favor of the f/4 IS version (smaller, lighter, sharper, higher contrast, better against backlighting, better AF consistency), and sure, while the f/2.8 will blur the background a bit more, on its own, the f/4 works fine. No client has ever said there wasn't enough background blur. For me the benefit of f/2.8, or f/0.95 in the case of the Nocti, would primarily be for low light work where the extra stop or two could be useful. But with the M240, you probably could get by with f/1.4...

Maybe Phil or Ryan K can chime in here about the Nocti..? Or Hilmar, who is the only guy I know who has used all three at one point or another.

douglasf13 wrote:
I got banding when shooting a sequence with my M9, and it usually didn't show until about the 3rd successive shot. Different SD cards would make little differences, but I could repeat it over and over again when shooting successive shots without allowing a few seconds between buffer clears.

douglasf13 wrote:
You may even see the issue you take consecutive shots in single shot mode too quickly.

Exactly what I see, on both points. Sequences can also be with advance set to S but done in rapid succession, and banding is evident. The camera has always been like this. I just live with it since most of the time it isn't obvious or noticeable in images. But I can often see it if I dig far enough in to files with aggressive adjustments in post.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.764 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, wonderful rendering with the M-M! It is an amazing camera ISO 10,000 is very good also.

Ron, excellent images of the boy! Great colors and lighting. I have noticed your recent PP'ing of shots are just improving all the time!

Adam, the 50AA would be great, but have you considered the 50 Nocti f/1.0, as it is lighter, smaller and half the price. If this lens does not agree with your style, it is very easily sold and maybe then exchanged for the 0.95, or something else. I think here you would have a great contrast between the two styles of lenses, and possibly fitting easily within your budget.

I must admit I was so close on getting the 0.95 Nocti, but jumped when f/1.0 came up, and I have no intention in upsizing...yet

Edited on Aug 01, 2013 at 09:09 AM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:00 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.764 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, Ron - I think my best bet is to borrow/test a 0.95 for a few days, and see how it stacks up in general use as well as night use against my Lux, and if there's a clear difference, I might consider putting up with the weight.

As far as the 50APO goes, I think it deserves to be borrowed again as well, but right now I'm testing an S-system for a potential business purchase. so all this will have to happen when I'm back from vacation.

For the Noctilux-f/1 I've used it briefly, and had a chance to own it several times between $2k-$3k and passed it up, now it's running in the $6k-$8k range, and I just don't know if I could justify it over the 0.95 which is slightly more corrected. But I do love the dreamy photos yours produces.. And I hear it's good with swirly bokeh?!

Aug 01, 2013 at 05:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rsolti13
• • • •
p.764 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, really nice shots of the kid. I really like the rendering of #2 & #3. Only the 28 Cron. I also agree with Charles, the pp looks excellent. The color really pops even on my dull work monitor

MM with 50 Nokton II

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:51 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.764 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Man this thread just moves. I was out of town last weekend on a shoot and have been crazy busy since I've been back. Sorry I haven't comment but I will go through and like the things I like.

Aug 01, 2013 at 02:35 PM
wstam

p.764 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yes, this thread really moves fast. Thanks all for the photo feast!

Few more from the China Hainan Island trip in March:

Cheers!

Aug 01, 2013 at 03:01 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.764 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi guys, Spent a few hours playing with the (borrowed) S-system before I actually use it tomorrow (although indoors). Must say from the few random shots I've taken, it's really a Leica at heart. The glass is amazing, good colors and contrast, and gives you that look and then some, due to the bigger then usual sensor. The body has great ergonomics (aside from a few annoyances). And it has crap ISO performance, so typical Leica

I'll see what I can post from it when my crazy work weekend comes to an end.

BTW, nice shots Ryan, airfrogusmc, and wstam.

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:34 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.764 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wee Very nice love the 3rd shot comp and subject works well here

Allen lovely dark mood here, both of them for me

Very nice Ryan, really enjoying that mono?

Phil

Mono w/Nocti

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:03 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.764 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^^^first one is great.

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:12 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.764 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

All by 50lux ASPH from Berkeley Kite festival, last weekend. There were not many kites around at all, I am quite disappointed, won't be there next year, but my kids all have fun there

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:50 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.764 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Phil, I am enjoying it. What a camera! Really like your view on the first shot, nice capture

Michael, really like the B/W conversions. Too bad there weren't many kites around, the second shot is my favorite

The MM is without a doubt my favorite camera I have used when in not absolute perfect lighting condition. It handles night shots unbelievably well. High ISO the grain has a perfect look to it. My ISO 5000 shots look very organic. For those of you that have or have used the Monochrom, am I alone in thinking my lenses look totally different? The DOF seems narrower with the Monochrom, and the lenses seem to render slightly different....but in a better way each time. I can't put my finger on it yet, but the files look totally different.

MM with 50 Nokton II

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:01 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.764 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Quick update... The S-system is pretty awesome (photo quality wise), but it's just so far behind on the auto-focusing, and ISO, that it's really unsuitable for my style of shooting.

I'll post some random photos at the end of the weekend. But I still like my M much better
Guess I'm spending my money on a Noctilux and APO (maybe)

Aug 02, 2013 at 04:31 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.764 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
All by 50lux ASPH from Berkeley Kite festival, last weekend. There were not many kites around at all, I am quite disappointed, won't be there next year, but my kids all have fun there

I don't visit this thread often, but am glad that I did it today. This set is wonderful with genius compositions.

Aug 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password