Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              762      
       764              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.763 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Phil, this is all your fault......

Monochrom with CV 50 Nokton II

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.763 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
To further her argument, she said a fifty is a 35 if you take two steps back, and a 75 if you take two steps forward.

Adam, I am not sure 50 can replace 35 as FOV change is dramatic enough. (35 might be able to take 50's role temporally, but not other way around.)

If you don't care weight. 50Noxt 0.95 is all you need. It is perfect enough. Otherwise, 28cron +50lux ASPH seems one of best setup for M system. I don;t recommend 90cron simply because of Rangefinder.

With 35lux and 75lux as 2nd setup depend on you mood? you can take 28cron+50lux, 28cron+75lux, 35lux+75lux, or 35lux only.

It is always easy to spend other people's money

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:51 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.763 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Ryan, I'm starting to get my B and W fix again

Nice post on last page Mitch, Gary, Ryan, and Rocky!

Glad it's my fault

Phil

Edited on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.763 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Hey Edward. I have not had one image (yet) with banding - even at ISO6400...

Thank you Gary. This confirms my suspicion that banding is very body dependent. My M9 doesn't show any banding either, even when I push iso 2500 by 1 or 2 stops, while others have complained about banding even at iso 2500 or lower. The M240 seems to be similar in this respect.

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:59 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.763 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I somewhat agree with zhangyue regarding focal lengths. It's not as simple as stepping back. For my style of shooting both 35 and 50 are very important. In fact I can live without the 25 and 85 if I had to but life without the 35 would be impossible, followed closely by the 50.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.763 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam - I echo some of the other comments regarding the effective perspective of lenses. I did some testing a while ago and the difference was significant (to me anyway) in perspective of lenses close in FL. I say buy as many lenses as you can!

Ryan - What a cool shot with the MM. Well done!

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.763 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, I just realize you got MM until Gary's post.
Congrats

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.763 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma, thank you for your help Very nice shots! Thanks guys!

Ryan, great shots, particularly the one of the umbrella! Congratulations on the M-M Love the last B&W shot
Mitch, nice captures! Favorites are the last two

Adam, if you are a 50FL'er, having both the 50AA and Nocti is no issue, as they are completely different lenses. I have both the 50 Lux, and 50 Nocti f/1.0, and I treat them very differently. The 50 Lux has MFD of 0.7m which is very handy, while the 50 Nocti has a MFD of 1.0m, but is a very different beast.

If you lean towards the 35 FL, then no point of having the 50's, and just have a 75 instead.

It would be an interesting poll to take, as to what lenses people settle with after having the M series for about 6 to 12 months. Initially we want all the lenses, but I found I have settled on a few favorites that suit me now. These are the 24 Lux, 50 Nocti f1.0/50 Lux and 75 Lux. On the M-M, the lenses behave differently, and I am liking the 28 Cron/35 Lux more now. The 75 Cron AA on the M-M is also very good, but plain on the M9P.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.763 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Phil, this is all your fault......

Monochrom with CV 50 Nokton II

http://www.soltiphotography.com/Landscape/Leica-MM/i-47Jp6FP/0/XL/L1000092-Edit-XL.jpg

^^^^ Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.763 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Here are some more in the same series:

No. 16 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 17 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 18 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 19 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 20 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 21 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom/Sri Lanka]

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.763 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hope I'm not boring you guy's with kid pics....

50cron V4

Nikkor 5.0cm f/1.4 ltm

50cron V4

180/3.4 APO Tely-T R

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:02 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.763 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Adam - I echo some of the other comments regarding the effective perspective of lenses. I did some testing a while ago and the difference was significant (to me anyway) in perspective of lenses close in FL. I say buy as many lenses as you can!

Ryan - What a cool shot with the MM. Well done!

Gary - Totally agree with you about the "as many lenses as you can" theory. However, my problem is, I do end up buying all the lenses, then I end up selling them off because they sit around (I obviously play favorites).. And honestly this is going to sound crazy, but I think the 35cron-asph made me hate 35mm focal length. I bough the lens, used it a hand full of times, hated it so much, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Sadly however, the reason I bought it was because I sold off my 35Lux-asph (it was optimized for 1.4 shooting). And the only reason I sold it off, is because I felt it was to close to the 50Lux to warrant keeping both.. Silly mistake, because now I want one back, and I can't find it. The FLE is a good lens, but I like the smoky glowing bokeh of the asph better then the typical bokeh of the FLE.
Anyway to be honest, a different lens for a different job, I'd usually take my 35Lux with me when I was going to an event with friends more then 2-3 people total. Going out with just my wife and I, then the 50Lux seems a better choice.

BTW 1st and 4th shot of the kids, nice!

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:21 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.763 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
rirakuma, thank you for your help Very nice shots! Thanks guys!

Ryan, great shots, particularly the one of the umbrella! Congratulations on the M-M Love the last B&W shot
Mitch, nice captures! Favorites are the last two

Adam, if you are a 50FL'er, having both the 50AA and Nocti is no issue, as they are completely different lenses. I have both the 50 Lux, and 50 Nocti f/1.0, and I treat them very differently. The 50 Lux has MFD of 0.7m which is very handy, while the 50 Nocti has a MFD of 1.0m, but is a very different beast.

If you lean
...Show more

Charles, my wife thanks you, my bank account does not. She actually threatened to abduct my Noctilux if I bought it, but what she doesn't realize is, I would gladly buy the Noctilux to see her shooting again. I think I'm going to start paying attention the the forums.

BTW, don't forget that I mentioned the 28cron really isn't as appealing on a M240, for whatever reason. So there might be more lens shuffling soon.

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:25 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.763 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thank you Gary. This confirms my suspicion that banding is very body dependent. My M9 doesn't show any banding either, even when I push iso 2500 by 1 or 2 stops, while others have complained about banding even at iso 2500 or lower. The M240 seems to be similar in this respect.

No banding for me on my M240, nor was there banding on an M240 I bought for my friend. Nor is there banding on the new M240 sitting in my room waiting for a buyer (I was trigger happy for my wedding, and I put a deposit down at the three biggest Leica dealers in SG, my last order was full-filled three days ago, I've tested the camera and as soon as I get back from my vacations, I'm selling it off, the wife doesn't want it, I already asked).

BTW, on the same note, ALL the M240's I've had in my possession, the startup time to LV and startup time to shoot is 100% card dependent. I got my friend to bring the M240 I sold him to my house, and I did all the testing with the same cards.. The card causes the camera to be slower, not the camera, this is confirmed by 3 M240 cameras, so let's assume this to be a truth. I didn't shoot with the new camera (other then taking a few test shots to check the sensor on low and high ISO), so I didn't test the ISO locking problem, but my friends camera does it ONLY when not in A mode shutter.. I think it's a problem more when you set your own shutter speed, it seems to work fine when you use A shutter for him, but it's "dicy" for me in A mode.

My Battery problem was a one off, I tried that same battery twice more now. And both times it kept the charge. I think maybe the camera got confused, and the battery was full, but the camera "thought" it empty. That or, something fell on the trigger while in the drycab, and I didn't notice.. Though that's most likely not the case.

Nothing else right now I can think of that may be a problem. Other then I still don't have a card that does 1second or less startup. Even with the formatting program Gary mentioned I download and try. Which is weird since I have multiple cards ranging from fastest available to 30mbps slow. But a few top speed cards of different brands are headed my way by Amazon, so I will update ASAP.

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:39 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.763 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Adam, I am not sure 50 can replace 35 as FOV change is dramatic enough. (35 might be able to take 50's role temporally, but not other way around.)

If you don't care weight. 50Noxt 0.95 is all you need. It is perfect enough. Otherwise, 28cron +50lux ASPH seems one of best setup for M system. I don;t recommend 90cron simply because of Rangefinder.

With 35lux and 75lux as 2nd setup depend on you mood? you can take 28cron+50lux, 28cron+75lux, 35lux+75lux, or 35lux only.

It is always easy to spend other people's money

Hi,

Agree with you, it's not exactly the same, I've illustrated this point multiple times to my wife, using a zoom lens and walking, both with video and with stills. Her argument is that she actually prefers less clutter in her images, and just prefers the 50 FL over the 35 FL, and because they're so similar, she doesn't feel the need to own both FLs.

I showed her Ron's 21Lux environmental portrait, and she thinks it's neat.. But doesn't want me using my M240 for work, as she said it'll spoil my love for rangefinders. So she rather I get the "cheaper" 21 SEM, and two 50s (but only take one 50 on vacation), so I have what she thinks is a perfect travel set. Her opinion is, when on vacation your in love with your environment and want to take it all in, so the 21 in good. Although when I mentioned the 15mm ZM she commented "to wide". She also said since I have the 28cron I can just stick with that.. Although it might be hard indoors to shoot all that I want to take in.

Anyway, I also agree that 28/50 is a good set and 35/75 is a good set. I always felt that my 90APO was to hard to use on a rangefinder for the types of subjects I shoot. The 75APO is actually great on a rangefinder, so much easier to use then the 90APO.. But if I did have 35/75 combo, the 35 I'd want is my old friend the 35Lux-asph non-fle. And I can't seem to find one at a good price.
Another thing is, if i had the two sets as you suggest, then I'll be back to where I was on the M9p, struggling to figure out which set I wanted to use..

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:55 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.763 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
I can get by with 28 and 50 only....the 35 is handy for one lens outings, but I pretty much agree with the step back for 35mm view when shooting 50 and step forward for 75mm view. Once you try to get wider than a 35mm view in a 50mm lens shot though it is too different. The angle is totally different with 28mm where simply taking a few steps back gives a totally different perspective

If my option was 35 Lux, 50 Lux and 75 Cron OR 50 Cron APO and 50 Noctilux I take the 50s. The 75 is
...Show more

Ryan - haha, it seems I owe you a coffee then. Yeah, I'm actually considering the 50 APO and Noctilux, but I think I might have a hard time giving up the 50Lux for the two lenses, when you consider the price difference.

It's definitely something I have to give thought to.. But to be honest, I do use the 28/50 combo, whereas I usually leave the 75 at home. I honestly haven't shot enough with the M240 though to really tell.. I think my upcoming vacations will give me a better indication of what I want to do with my lens lineup.

BTW, I like the trees!

Jul 31, 2013 at 05:00 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.763 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 with 50lux ASPH

Jul 31, 2013 at 08:09 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.763 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch - love the colors in #1
Gary - you know I don't mind the kid pics , really like #3 and #4
Michael - #2 and #3 are excellent, great mood in #3

For those of you that have not tried the MM yet....you are missing out. The files from this camera are just unreal. I can't believe how different the files are from the M9 converted to B/W. And the ability to put it on auto ISO and not worry, something I didn't know was possible with a Leica

Keeping with kid pics.....

MM & CV 50 Nokton II

MM & Canon 100 f/2

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.763 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch & Zhangyue, lovely colors as usual.
Gary, nice pics with the old lenses. That 50 1.4 looks like it has a bit of glow to it
Rsolti, nice work with the MM. I agree with you that the MM is unmatched when it comes to B+W

I've been using Zeiss lenses for a while now and I'm enjoying the change in drawing style. I've been especially intrigued with the rendering of this summarit 1.5.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.763 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Couple of not so quick questions for those who care to read/chime in..

My wife and I had a long debate, I'll spare you the details, but her take was: If she used an M240 her two lenses would be the 50APO and 50Noctilux (she's a fifty lover). Her logic, if you want technical perfection, and are in sunny conditions the 50APO is all you need. If you want dreamy bokeh or a good low light lens, the 50Noctilux is all you need. Reason to have both, one's small and makes a good all around lens, the other one is a
...Show more

Other than the cost (for me), I think it's logical to have both 50mm lenses in question in order to harness the strengths/characteristics of each. It's why I use and will carry both the 21 Lux and SEM during the same job/event/outing.

I still want to try the 50AA for myself, but my theory at the moment is at the 50mm focal length it would be the equivalent to the 21 SEM for my needs - technical perfection and an all around go-to lens that can be used for pretty much anything. But instead of pairing such a lens with a Nocti, I have explored various vintage 50mm options to find variations of character that appeals to me while my Lux ASPH stands in for the 50AA. That said, I still do most of my 50mm images with the Lux ASPH. The Nocti makes sense for the extra two stops over the AA and its creamier wide open look... how important that is, will depend on how you like to shoot.

I can appreciate how flexible a given focal length can be by just moving your feet a bit. But sometimes you can't, and will then be frustrated. Or you can't get the subject/background juxtaposition you want. At least for me, I really do feel 'naked' going someplace with only one lens. Even if I only shoot with just one lens, as I did for most of the recent photos I posted, it's reassuring to have my regular kit (21/28/50/90) with me.

This is such a subjective thing and I know a lot of guys really like the minimalist approach. The closest for me has been keeping a reasonable gap between focal lengths. For this reason I have a difficult time reacquainting myself with 35mm and 75mm.

My 2¢.

charles.K wrote:
It would be an interesting poll to take, as to what lenses people settle with after having the M series for about 6 to 12 months. Initially we want all the lenses, but I found I have settled on a few favorites that suit me now. These are the 24 Lux, 50 Nocti f1.0/50 Lux and 75 Lux. On the M-M, the lenses behave differently, and I am liking the 28 Cron/35 Lux more now. The 75 Cron AA on the M-M is also very good, but plain on the M9P.

I agree, but for me 6-12 months wasn't enough time to settle into a system. Part of the problem might be the sheer amount of potentially interesting glass available. Related to this, I think I agree with Joe's theory about keeping modern and vintage sets, as well as sets that work best with specific cameras. Because I only have the M9, I'm not concerned about the latter, but definitely am working towards functional modern & vintage sets. 2.5 years later and I'm now pretty content with at least my modern collection, though my overall kit is definitely not minimalist. But what I take with me typically is 'only' four lenses.

Edward - interesting about banding. Just reaffirms for me that I should see about testing a second M9.

Jul 31, 2013 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password