Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              760      
       762              1062       1063       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.761 #1 · p.761 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
^ beautiful colors! I have yet to see poppy colors like that from the M

I sure have!

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #2 · p.761 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
this was funny....my wife wanted a picture of our son with Hooters girls when he was a baby, never got around to doing it. We just happened ( ) to be driving by one at lunch time the other day....I mentioned how I have the camera, lets go get that picture. I decided to tell them it was his birthday so he could get a photo with a group of them....here are a couple, all with 35 Nokton II

Oh to be young again!

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #3 · p.761 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Quick M240 question..

I've noticed when shooting with Auto-Iso (was testing out the camera's ability to do auto anything), what happens is, It actually gets stuck on one iso (1600 in my case) and no matter how bright or dark, it just sticks with 1600..

Weird, or is this a known issue?

First off - congrats on the wedding Adam! Second, I have not heard of this nor experienced it myself. I have actually used the auto-ISO a fair bit and it works very well.

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #4 · p.761 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Just one from me tonight.....can't decide what to drink. Maybe its time for.....a Scotch-off!!!! Dun dun dun

http://www.soltiphotography.com/Other/Leica-M9-Test/i-ZPXJnGc/0/XL/L1002905-XL.jpg

It's a no brainer. Go for the Glenfarclas!

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:16 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #5 · p.761 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Adam - it would be interesting to see a comparison of the 21 SEM against the ZE/ZF 21. On paper the SEM should be pretty much equal, if not better. On paper, the ZM 21/2.8 doesn't match the ZE/ZF, so interesting to read your thoughts about it.

I should have done a shootout before I sold my ZF21. Unless you need a faster lens, I agree that the 21SEM is close to perfect as a lens can get. The ZF21 can at times exhibit MILD mustache distortion but I rarely had any such issues. I did briefly try out my ZF21 on the M240 and preferred the output of the 21SEM. Also - the Zeiss is massive on the Leica as well. The closer focus of the ZF21 is really a non-issue as the bokeh is pretty harsh (and ugly IMO) at MFD, WO. Having said that, both these lenses are incredible performers and are the cream of the crop for 21's.

Jul 28, 2013 at 02:43 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #6 · p.761 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
More feedback on the M240, well I've tried several cards, and startup is just slower then the M9/M9P for sure.

Adam - you may want to try SDFormatter. Many people at LUF claim it greatly increased startup times...

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4

Jul 28, 2013 at 03:01 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.761 #7 · p.761 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Adam - you may want to try SDFormatter. Many people at LUF claim it greatly increased startup times...

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4

Yeah, I heard about it on the forum, but I don't have an account so I never asked anyone where to get it.
Thanks for this, I'll try and let everyone know.

Gary Clennan wrote:
I should have done a shootout before I sold my ZF21. Unless you need a faster lens, I agree that the 21SEM is close to perfect as a lens can get. The ZF21 can at times exhibit MILD mustache distortion but I rarely had any such issues. I did briefly try out my ZF21 on the M240 and preferred the output of the 21SEM. Also - the Zeiss is massive on the Leica as well. The closer focus of the ZF21 is really a non-issue as the bokeh is pretty harsh (and ugly IMO) at MFD, WO. Having said
...Show more

Interesting to hear this. I'm leaning towards the 21SEM more and more. I need something by September, so it's likely to be the SEM.

Gary Clennan wrote:
First off - congrats on the wedding Adam! Second, I have not heard of this nor experienced it myself. I have actually used the auto-ISO a fair bit and it works very well.

Thanks BTW, the wedding went by in a blink of an eye.. I'm really starting to understand the importance of a wedding photographer. Puts that aspect of my job into perspective.

That's strange, but to further explain, I've noticed it gets "stuck" on 1600 ISO, like it could shoot a lower iso and slower shutter, but it doesn't, or it could shoot a higher ISO and faster shutter but it doesn't. It seems to favor ISO1600 once it uses it.

Jul 28, 2013 at 06:03 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.761 #8 · p.761 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

had a busy week therefore I got lost with this fast growing thread . Just had a look at the pics....great work guys!

denoir, great to see again your pictures!

this was captured with the APO Summicron-M 2/90 ASPH. and not with the Lux 50 ASPH.

Jul 28, 2013 at 08:40 AM
Elisemkii

p.761 #9 · p.761 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

bored to death...
is not easy to tolerate my capricious little sister

Leica M9 + 75mm 2.5 Summarit

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Elisemkii

p.761 #10 · p.761 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

wife at the restaurant..
ciao

alberto

leica M9 + 75mm 2.5 Summarit WO

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #11 · p.761 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Yeah, I heard about it on the forum, but I don't have an account so I never asked anyone where to get it.
Thanks for this, I'll try and let everyone know.

Interesting to hear this. I'm leaning towards the 21SEM more and more. I need something by September, so it's likely to be the SEM.

Thanks BTW, the wedding went by in a blink of an eye.. I'm really starting to understand the importance of a wedding photographer. Puts that aspect of my job into perspective.

That's strange, but to further explain, I've noticed it gets "stuck" on 1600 ISO, like
...Show more

Interesting. I usually end up using the "1/**" option in the Auto-ISO menu which usually works a little better for me. Otherwise, the camera often chooses too high of an ISO to brighten up the scene more than I would like.

Peter - love the landscapes.

Jul 28, 2013 at 01:49 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.761 #12 · p.761 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Bijltje wrote:
Did u try the 21 SE leica? Someone I know having used both zeiss 21 ZF and the 21 SE says the leica has the upper hand.

rirakuma wrote:
I've never tried the SEM but I love the samples I see from it. The thing is I like to use my 21 as an everyday lens including portraiture and I don't think I can get the composition I wan't with the SEM. The MFD for Zeiss 21mm ZF is 22cm and I usually take portraits wide open around 40-50cm. The MFD for 21 SEM is 70cm and I think I will feel very constricted using it.

This is an example of a shot taken with the 21 ZF. I was around 40cm away for this shot, if I took this
...Show more

I think I've seen that image previously either on the ZE/ZF thread, or your Flickr, and like it very much. While difficult to make a direct comparison, here's one (nothing fancy) done with the 21 Lux at about 70cm and I think it was wide open. I'm not sure how petite your friend is, but going from overall body and head size, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference, though she does look a bit closer.

But, I'm not disagreeing with your general feeling that 70cm is restrictive for a 21mm lens. I definitely felt this way when I got my first Leica 21 and still run into situations where I would like to move in a bit closer. For portraits though, other than for creative effect, I have found 70cm is bearable. It's not too close as to really start stretching features if the subject is kept in the center, which you've done in your image. But this is one advantage of the ZM21 and CV21/1.8, which both focus to 50cm, and would be perfectly usable on the M240 in live view.

Thanks also for posting a few DNGs. Looking forward to playing with those.

adamdewilde wrote:
I finally looked through some of my old M9 files, and I came to the conclusion that at ISO 800 both cameras have the same noise, maybe the slightest win goes to the M240... But at 1600+ you can definitely see that the M240 has a really clear advantage. However, I don't do much noise processing in LR, if anyone wants to bestow upon me, a secret formula, I'd be willing to try, as I have two files take at the same place, so it'll be easy for me to test noise at iso 800 with NR software implemented.
Oh and
...Show more

The origin for that specific sentiment about difference in grain structure between images from CCD and CMOS sensors appears to originate with Thorsten Overgaard. I'm skeptical the sensor type is the reason, but there could be other factors in the imaging chain? My most current CMOS camera is the Canon 1DX and the grain structure does not feel any less random to me than what I see from the M9. Its high ISO files are tighter and more finely structured grain, while the M9 feels coarser. The first M240 higher ISO files I played with reminded me of the 1DX's grain. It could be that the underlying nature of the M240 to reveal banding when files are pushed in post might be the basis for the claim? But then I also see streaked banding in some of my M9 files when pushed...

Nice image Adam, I like the feel of the light and the mood of the backdrop and wardrobe.
Phil, very nice! I don't mind your B&W rut.
Peter, I commend you on your ability to get up so early! Great colors and scenes, once again.
Alberto, I like these, particularly the one of your children.
Gary, thanks for the comments!

Joakim: perhaps responding too late to offer anything meaningful, but I think if it was an open-ended trip without a certainty of what will be photographed, I would bring a bit more to be on the safe side. My base set would be the 18, 28 Cron, 50 Lux ASPH and 90. To that I might add the 35 Lux ASPH. If it's a lot of landscapes, then the 24/3.8 would also be difficult to leave behind and could potentially replace the 28 Cron.
Sorry, I don't really have a continuation of the "want broom" series. But here is one after he was told to stop banging on the doors of the aluminum shed that can be seed in the background of the broom series:

Also with the 28 Cron, though cropped a bit due to guesstimated framing that was a bit off.

Jul 28, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #13 · p.761 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

The Calgary Stampede is long gone now but I still have a couple more pics.

35cron asph

90cron Pre-AA

Edited on May 30, 2014 at 08:43 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2013 at 09:51 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.761 #14 · p.761 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Awesome Peter, love the 1st one!

Elisemkii nice one of your kids

Ron thanks for the sample and explanation of using the 21 for portraits, I had always questioned how to do it

Gary 2 and 3 for me, is this place Calgarys Sea world equal to Sea world in San Diego, Ca.?

Phil

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.761 #15 · p.761 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Phil! The Calgary Stampede is an annual exhibition, rodeo, and festival which runs for about a week each July. It's a great time and the town really explodes with tourists and visitors from all over the world. That lady in the last pic (Bendy Em) fit into an extremely small box. Pretty incredible.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.761 #16 · p.761 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, now I remember we have 2 office locations (Calgary and Vancouver) and all the employees from there, email me and tell me what a blast they have there and how the offices there have kegger parties in the office, unfortunately our office location only serves ice tea and cupcakes

I was asked if I was interested in going to the Calgary office once but declined I hear the winters are below ZERO CELSIUS? Too cold for my blood for this desert kid

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.761 #17 · p.761 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^Ron thanks heaps for your sample! The girl was pretty small so I had to focus quite close to her but your pic looks really good too. I was hesitant to get the lux because of the price, its double the 28 cron and I really can't afford it right now. At least now I know the lux wont suffer from distortion at MFD while the WATE does.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.761 #18 · p.761 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Earlier, I mentioned that I like to shoot in projects or series. The ten pictures below are for a new one with the working title of Surabaya Johnny, a song by Kurt Weill/Bertold Brecht sung in a classic rendition here by Lotte Lenya in German. You can find on the web a version in English, sung by Ute Lemper.

As my now, for a while, turning from street photography from B&W to color with the M9, I am consciously being careful of trying to make photos that are not too "exquisite", of which I feel I have to be careful with the M-Monochrom as well. Mind you, I am not using "exquisite" here as a derogatory term, bur only as something that can under time the sometimes "dark" look at life that I sometimes want to express. That's one reason that I have been using Clarity, for example; although I have not applied Clarity at all or to a significant extent in the pictures below, expect in one of them

No. 1 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 2 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 3 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 4 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 5 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 6 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 7 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 8 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 9 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 10 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Jul 29, 2013 at 02:42 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.761 #19 · p.761 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch - 5, 6, 10 work best for me. With 5 being the most interesting.

Ron - Great 21 shot (again, since I've seen it before) and the 28 shot is pretty awesome as well. Very dramatic posture for the kid, he must be really unhappy and bored now that he can't bang his broom into things.
About the 21 shot, did you crop it, if you can remember?

Gary - Great captures. Looks like a fun day in Calgary.

Elisemkii - Nice Summarit shots..

muc_marlin - 1st and 3rd! (if we lived in the same time zone) I be going to sleep when you're likely to be getting up. Definitely worth the photos though.

Jul 29, 2013 at 04:08 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.761 #20 · p.761 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, thanks for reminding me I forgot to mention the 21mm sample above is uncropped. The version I posted about a year ago was adjusted for true vertical alignment because I tend to tilt my horizons a bit with the M9, thus cropping it to probably around 24mm...

The kid wasn't depressed for too long. When asked what he was doing, he said "looking at flowers."

rirakuma - wasn't suggesting you should get the Lux, just wanted to offer an example of how a portrait at about 70cm looks in comparison. Not sure the Lux is that justifiable when one can get the CV21/1.8 for much less. Though I did keep my Lux.
Gary - very nice separation of your kids from the background in these. Great colours too all around.
Mitch - I think 6 and the environment of 9 do it best for me.

Probably boring everyone with these images, but as said, it's what I have on hand at the moment, and I think pretty nicely show off the 28 Cron.

IIRC, the third and fourth might have had a bit more cropping than usual. But still, at that subject distance, the lens has pretty nice background separation.

Jul 29, 2013 at 05:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password