Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              759      
       761              1007       1008       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.760 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Michael! Great colors! I believe I did some selective negative clarity on his face and arms in the close up shot.
Thanks Charles - the funny thing is I'm not really doing much to these files. No heavy lifting, etc. Trying to let the character of the lens stand on its own. Glad you're covered for the RX1. Yes, a bit of a quandary about the M240... I say go for it.
Mitch - I like the color and tension of the first image. Also the fourth. What is it about 5 and 6 drawing you in that direction? Thanks for linking to the LUF thread. I'll definitely check it out in the next couple days. I seem to recall reading that same comment elsewhere, or at least a similar one to that effect, about PV2012 vs. 2010. When the first unofficial M240 DNGs were released by that Dr. Dr. fellow, he had saved his adjustments to the files in PV2010, and wow, what a difference when it was switched to 2012. In 2010 some of his images had nasty highlight clipping that disappeared with 2012.

rirakuma wrote:
^nice shots from the 28 cron Ron. I've been looking into that lens and I'm starting to feel that its probably the closest to a 21mm ZF that I can get on a Leica mount. I was thinking of getting an adapter for the Nikon-Leica mount just so I can use that lens but I can already imagine now it will be a pain to use regularly. I'll probably have to resort to the voigtlander ultron because the cron is so expensive.

I agree with Robert, you should see about trying the 21/3.4. On paper it certainly rivals the Zeiss, but is a fraction of its size (though double the price). I think the 28 Ultron is a love/hate lens. If you're after technical perfection, you'll struggle with this lens, I think. I've only briefly tested it, but found it needed to be stopped down past f/8 to bring up the edges/corners to a reasonable level. It also has some focus shift, that might be irksome at more moderate apertures, though with the M240 you can live view. It's also lower contrast than the ZM 28/2.8 or Leica 28s. I'd have to find the test images again, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has purple fringing wide open and considerable CA, which many of the older, less corrected, Voigtlander lenses seem to have. 28mm is kind of a dry spot for the M system. The Ultron doesn't match what CV has produced recently with the 35/1.2 or 21/1.8. The ZM is also quirky with great central performance but weaker edges/corners. It's really only the Leica lenses that offer top technical performance, but at considerable cost. However, if you don't need great edge/corner performance for photographing planar scenes, then the Ultron might work. I think Michael (zhangyue) owned one for a while...

More with the 28 Cron - "want broom!":

Jul 27, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.760 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...Mitch - I like the color and tension of the first image. Also the fourth. What is it about 5 and 6 drawing you in that direction? Thanks for linking to the LUF thread. I'll definitely check it out in the next couple days. I seem to recall reading that same comment elsewhere, or at least a similar one to that effect, about PV2012 vs. 2010. When the first unofficial M240 DNGs were released by that Dr. Dr. fellow, he had saved his adjustments to the files in PV2010, and wow, what a difference when it was switched to 2012.
...Show more

Ron, your comments on my pictures are spot-on as far as I am concerned. The tension in the first and fourth images are what I have often done, and is what continues to interest me. The direction of Nos. 5 and 6 is more, at this stage, a matter of concept than of execution (obviously ) in these two pictures. What I am interest in is objects, through form, color and content expressing tension or referring to other psychological states, which you can find in some of the work of, for example, Ralph Gibson and William Eggleston — the two of them in different ways from each other. That's where I'm in the thinking stage on this. All this also comes partially, for better or for worse from my reading and thinking about the TJ Clark book, Picasso and Truth, that I mentioned recently.

The color, look and processing of your pictures now is perfection for this genre. I like them a lot.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

Jul 27, 2013 at 02:38 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.760 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
^nice shots from the 28 cron Ron. I've been looking into that lens and I'm starting to feel that its probably the closest to a 21mm ZF that I can get on a Leica mount. I was thinking of getting an adapter for the Nikon-Leica mount just so I can use that lens but I can already imagine now it will be a pain to use regularly. I'll probably have to resort to the voigtlander ultron because the cron is so expensive.

Mitch Alland - I like image #2

Ron - You know he's going to look into into sun.. Great captures though. And yea I was talking about the top of the trees. I did notice the more appealing soft bokeh/haze in the middle of the frame. I guess I don't shoot that lens enough to realize that's a characteristic.

rirakuma - From my experiance the 28cron has a way different drawing style, and the colors are not Zeiss at all.. The 21 SEM might be what you're looking for, but I don't have any personal experience with it, just what I've seen on flickr and here.

Jul 27, 2013 at 04:47 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.760 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^Ron & Adam, thanks for the input. I have to admit I've only briefly researched the 28 cron but I like what I see with the exception of the price. I'm not looking for Zeiss colors so thats not an issue. The Zeiss 21 feels like a Swiss Army knife of lens for me, it does landscapes, macro, pj and portraits with no issues (for me anyway). I've tried doing portraits with the WATE and the distortion is unacceptable. The SEM is also superb but I feel its more of a landscape lens with a slower aperture and not so great MFD. Maybe I will just get an adapter for the Zeiss but I know it won't be used anywhere near as much as it used to.

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:30 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.760 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Bijltje wrote:
Did u try the 21 SE leica? Someone I know having used both zeiss 21 ZF and the 21 SE says the leica has the upper hand.

I've never tried the SEM but I love the samples I see from it. The thing is I like to use my 21 as an everyday lens including portraiture and I don't think I can get the composition I wan't with the SEM. The MFD for Zeiss 21mm ZF is 22cm and I usually take portraits wide open around 40-50cm. The MFD for 21 SEM is 70cm and I think I will feel very constricted using it.

This is an example of a shot taken with the 21 ZF. I was around 40cm away for this shot, if I took this with other wide angles I think her face would look really distorted.

Edited on Jul 27, 2013 at 05:53 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:38 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.760 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Yes, this thread is on steroids!!
rirakuma, very nice! The scene does have the dark rainforest feel.
Luka, great set. Particularly #1, 3, 5 & 6. Nothing like having a Mercedes bogged in the sand . Also congratulations!!!
Ron, I am loving your recent images, and the PP'ing of them. They have an amazing sharpness, and color integrity to them.
Michael, wonderful shots with the 50 Lux!
Phil, lovely shot of your grand daughter.
Mitch, nice set.

I am in a quandry! I had my Sony RX1 drop on the lens two days ago in the office from a desk, and fortunately it is covered my insurance,
...Show more

Charles, if you want to try out the M240 we should meet up for a hike . I've always wanted to try the M9 so maybe we can switch cameras during the hike? It says you live in Tallai so you should be pretty close to some of the local national park. I have Monday off if you're keen

Jul 27, 2013 at 05:45 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.760 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
I've never tried the SEM but I love the samples I see from it. The thing is I like to use my 21 as an everyday lens including portraiture and I don't think I can get the composition I wan't with the SEM. The MFD for Zeiss 21mm ZF is 22cm and I usually take portraits wide open around 40-50cm. The MFD for 21 SEM is 70cm and I think I will feel very constricted using it.

This is an example of a shot taken with the 21 ZF. I was around 40cm away for this shot, if I took this
...Show more

Yes, know exactly what you mean.. Owning all the ZE lenses, I found myself taking the 21 and 50mp out with me mostly.. And if I happen to have the 21 on camera, and wanted to take a portrait, I'd just do it exactly like you. And most of the time I loved the results. I don't think the 28cron is the lens for you, if this is what you're looking to do. I think the 28 Elmarit-asph is a better fit, if you're confident 28mm is the FL you want. Just my thoughts, but again, I haven't played with the 21 SEM either, so...

Jul 27, 2013 at 09:35 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.760 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Quick update.. I went out to buy another card for the M240 even though I have several. And the only cards they had around were the older extreme cards (45/mbps) so I figured heck why not, I have the ultra's and they're slow, and I have the extreme pro and they're slow (60mbps), so I figured why not just try another 16gb card, good to have on vacation where I don't bring my laptop anyway.
BTW I have like 6 cards, 4 16gb and 2 32gb..... All "slow" on the M240.

Now with the new card, the start up to photo taking has come down from 5 one-thousand to 3 one-thousand. So now it's three seconds from startup, instead of five seconds from startup.. Which believe me you, is a damn welcome improvement. I won'der if I should jump ship from Sandisk to something else?

Also, weird thing I've noticed.. happens only once and a while.. But take a look (this is what prompted me to go buy a new SD card):

So basically when I zoom into some images, the color goes out of whack.. Not only does the color shift, but it looks like it adds lens flare?! Actually cooler looking the zoomed in way

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.760 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, is that color shift only evident in the in-camera review, or also once you've downloaded the image? If the latter, I'd be concerned...

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.760 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^This happens in my camera too, it only affects in camera review. The file itself is fine once uploaded and viewed through the comp. By the way a member jaapv from the l-camera forum says he gets a 1s startup using Lexar 600x cards. I have the 400x and it takes about 2 seconds to start.

Edited on Jul 27, 2013 at 01:23 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rirakuma
• •
p.760 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Just for fun I thought I'd share some M files with you guys if anybody is interested.

Some previews of the files (after some quick WB and exposure corrections):

DNG 1

DNG 2

DNG 3

DNG 4

DNG 5

Jul 27, 2013 at 01:16 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.760 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yeah exactly as rirakuma mentioned. I'm sure it's something that will be fixed w/firmware.

Just an FYI I've stumbled upon a few forums that mention the camera can startup and is ready to shoot in .5 for normal shooting, and 1second for liveview shooting... I think this is absolute rubbish, but I was willing to try, so I ordered a bunch of different brand top end cards, so we'll see how startup to shoot is delayed once I get the cards in.

I finally looked through some of my old M9 files, and I came to the conclusion that at ISO 800 both cameras have the same noise, maybe the slightest win goes to the M240... But at 1600+ you can definitely see that the M240 has a really clear advantage. However, I don't do much noise processing in LR, if anyone wants to bestow upon me, a secret formula, I'd be willing to try, as I have two files take at the same place, so it'll be easy for me to test noise at iso 800 with NR software implemented.
Oh and BTW, there was some mention that CCD produces "organic randomized noise" while CMOS produces "static patterned noise" I was pixel peeping for the better half of an hour, and on several photos, I don't see this to be true (mind you, I was looking at ISO800 files from 4 cameras M240, M9, D4 and the H3DII-39 was viewed on iso 400 if I'm not wrong [but could have been 800], and if I'm not wrong it's a CCD sensor in the Hassy-39 as well correct?)

BTW, a while back I posted an image from the same mural, but to be honest, it's not a fair comparison, as the lighting, and distance to subject are completely different. The M9p was in tungsten and the M240 shot below was natural light.

M240 50/1.4 @ 800 ISO

Jul 27, 2013 at 01:46 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.760 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I'm running into a B and W rut, gonna go color for a few weeks after this one!

Phil

Mono with you know what already

M Monochrom    Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH. lens    50mm    1/4000s    320 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Edited on Jul 27, 2013 at 03:42 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2013 at 03:07 PM
joakim
• • •
p.760 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

rirakuma, great waterfall photo on p 759 and I too like the darker colors.
Luka, nice set and great story about your car adventures
Ron, nice sets with the kids and the portrait with the 28 cron has a very natural feel to it.. Looking forward to the sequel of "want broom!", "Got broom!!!"
Mitch, I like the first 4 in your daytime street set.
Adam, very nice portrait of the woman
Phil, great photo of your grand daughter.
Michael, the two first photos of your daughters (I assume) are quite different but I like them both.

Also thanks for the interesting discussions regarding the M 240 and about pp'ing.

I don't have anything special to post this time but I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow so it's time to decide what lenses to bring, I really need to bring down the selection to 6 or 7 even if they are all quite small. Oh, what a hard task

Here are the candidates (with Rico GR).

Jul 27, 2013 at 03:26 PM
joakim
• • •
p.760 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Phil, great photo. It took a while before I realized it was square so it has some interesting dynamics in it.

Jul 27, 2013 at 03:29 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.760 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Joakim

Wow I really wish I had that many choices, just bring the whole quiver

Phil

Jul 27, 2013 at 03:44 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.760 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:

Ron, nice sets with the kids and the portrait with the 28 cron has a very natural feel to it.. Looking forward to the sequel of "want broom!", "Got broom!!!"
Michael, the two first photos of your daughters (I assume) are quite different but I like them both.

Also thanks for the
...Show more

Depends on where you're going...

rirakuma - Like the portrait.

Jul 27, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.760 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Some are likely familiar with Tim Hortons, Canada's dominant coffee & doughnut chain, also nicknamed Timmie's. It seems they're also a pretty significant source of eyesore garbage in public places, particularly their paper coffee cups. While I was in Port Maitland, exploring the pier and breakwater on the Lake Erie shore, I noticed numerous examples of this and how the cups all looked so new and pristine, as if someone had just left them moments earlier. While there I could have also done a series on abandoned styrofoam bowls used to transport earthworms used as bait by recreational fishermen on
...Show more

Lazy donut eating, Tim Horton drinkin', litterbug Canadians. Geez! ")

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.760 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:

Also thanks for the
...Show more

That's easy. Bring the silver one third from the right on the bottom, and leave the rest at home. At least that's what I'd do.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.760 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
M9 & 50 Lux ASPH. First wide open, the second probably ~ f/4:

Really love the Canoe series Ron. Perfect PP to my eye...

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password