FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              759      
       761              2351       2352       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.760 #1 · p.760 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I can understand your frustration. I think I mentioned a few post back that its best to stay with vintage Leitz adapters and second choice will be the Voigtlander ones. They do make a difference in consistency of material thickness. If those doesn't work, you would have to send it in for collimation. DAG does a good job but it will cost about $100 I think.

For closer to $600, have you tried the ZM50/2 Planar? Very nice lens and would still give you good subject separation for portraits. Very Zeiss 3D look.

Oct 10, 2013 at 08:59 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.760 #2 · p.760 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Nothing special, it was a rainy day and work was crazy. I ended up cropping off a bit of the right side to clean it up, but I've been wanting to try this combo for a while now

Canon 85/1.2 SSC Aspherical w/o on the M240

Oct 11, 2013 at 01:30 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.760 #3 · p.760 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great shots guys..

Joe - Awesome you got a S2.. I'd suggest trying to get a 80/2 Contax645 lens.. In fact any Contax 645 lens is great, but my favorite is the 80/2 (I have 3 of them! One comes with each camera body I own). I have a few other contax lenses, but I sold off most of my other brand MF gear. OH man, so many good lenses to toy with though.
I also like the 80 1.9(?) Mamiya manual focus lens, it's pretty nifty, but I could never get sharp shots anywhere past half body... Eyesight is bad I guess. The autofocus hassy 100/2 is a good lens as well, but for the price, I'd just pick up a 80/2 Contax..
I'm going on, but I'm actually not sure which adapters are currently available?!
I borrowed and played with a S camera and a bunch of lenses for a while, on two occasions. I found that for my style of shooting it was difficult to use. The autofocus was slow and inconsistent, and harder to manual focus then other 645 cameras. It's a lot easier to manual focus the contax, so I stuck with that.. And after selling my hassy digital, I'm looking actively for a digital back for my contax... Just to have. BUT with that said, I really did like the files I got from the S, and I really did LOVE the lenses, I thought that the 70 was great, and the 120 macro although a bit difficult to use, was really quite something.
Had I spent a little more time with the camera, I think I would have picked one up.

Enjoy the camera, and can't wait to see more pictures!

Oct 11, 2013 at 04:46 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.760 #4 · p.760 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Just arrived back from five days in Ubud Bali. The thread has moved so fast with so many excellent images, but I do not have the chance to comment on all

I have now have a backup M240, which fortunately became available as an ex-demo model. So if anyone is seriously interested in the M-M do let me know

Phil, great B&W image! Beautiful tonality.
Katie, congrats on the CV 21 Very nice environmental shots!
Ryan, lovely portrait!
Gary, excellent set with 21 SEM
Michael, love the originality of your images.
Joe, thank you very much Superb work, and congratulations on the exhibition. Congratulations on the S2...wow We have to get the thread to be changed to include the S2. Wonderful shots.
Allen, amazing street series!

Some images from Ubud, Bali all with the M240 50 Cron Rigid DR and 21 SEM. The 50 Cron Rigid DR was a great lens, as it was small, combined well on the M240, and allowed Macro shots too

Edited on Oct 11, 2013 at 07:48 AM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2013 at 04:50 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.760 #5 · p.760 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

To anyone who's wondering, I've sent the 50APO to Germany for them to "fix" the flare issue, mine got really bad while on vacation, with and without filter, it was just acting up (shot more into the sun while vacationing, it didn't get progressively worse of course, I was just using it more to its flare limits on vacation).. Also, I told them to tighten the aperture right, it was wobbly a bit for my liking, and to easy to knock to another setting. And lastly, I think either my M240 or my 50APO (one of the two, but I think it's my M240) is having trouble reaching infinity focus properly.. So I've asked them to check the lens.. But I have a feeling it's actually the body.

I've been using the 50 Noctilux while walking around, didn't shoot anything special, but I can see the draw to 0.95, and I also like the subject separation at half and 3/4 to full body shots. But hitting focus at that distance is almost impossible for me at the moment. For closeup work, I still feel the 75APO has an advantage.. The DOF is definitly thinner if you shoot the two of them at minimum focusing distance (even at 1m for the 75APO I feel that the ears are more blur then with the noct. at 1m).. My favorite lens is still the 50APO, and I'm missing it now.

Going through a bit of a cleaning as far as my gear cabinet goes. Selling off a lot of my work photo gear, and video accessories. Also selling off a lot of non-essential Leica gear. So I might not be shooting for a while, until I've settled and sold off a lot of things.
This is in part due to a potential move to the states.. I'm fairly certain we've found a place, and it may be a matter of half a year until we make the move. So I'm trying to get my gear in order. But who knows, nothing settled yet :|

Will try to put up some images from the USA after I've cleared work that's piled up.

Best,
Adam

Oct 11, 2013 at 06:22 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.760 #6 · p.760 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great photos guys!

Autumn colours with M9 and Zeiss ZM 50 Planar

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.760 #7 · p.760 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

M240 firmware update 2.0.0.11 is now available... Hopefully it sorts out some of the bugs. FYI.

1) Improved performance of the white balance
2) Accuracy of white balance presets and auto white balance function is higher which results in better skin tones and better general colour rendering
3) Improved Video quality
4) The visibility of compression artefacts is reduced due to lower video compression.
5) Lens calibration for coded Leica lenses, image homogeneity (colour shift) has been improved
6) Improved stability using Live View, both with and without EVF-2
7) Issue with display settings in combination with “Sharpness high” - fixed
8) Issue with exposures after switching the camera on - fixed
9) The “Auto Power Off” function showed unexpected behaviour - fixed
10) The recording dates for video files have been incorrect occasionally - fixed
11) Issue with Copyright and Artist Information in EXIF Data - fixed
12) Improvement of general system stability
13) Several minor bug fixes

I would have also like to see the function to be able to use VF-4 EVF...

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.760 #8 · p.760 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
M240 firmware update 2.0.0.11 is now available... Hopefully it sorts out some of the bugs. FYI.

1) Improved performance of the white balance
2) Accuracy of white balance presets and auto white balance function is higher which results in better skin tones and better general colour rendering
3) Improved Video quality
4) The visibility of compression artefacts is reduced due to lower video compression.
5) Lens calibration for coded Leica lenses, image homogeneity (colour shift) has been improved
6) Improved stability using Live View, both with and without EVF-2
7) Issue with display settings in combination with “Sharpness high” - fixed
8) Issue with exposures after switching
...Show more

sent my camera back for some of these very issues that were driving me nuts....on the phone now trying to see if I can get it back

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.760 #9 · p.760 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Took both the M and Mono out the other night and compared....wait....no comparison. The Mono is KING at night . The files are so much cleaner and crisper. Mono is my favorite Leica yet

all with 35 Nokton

Edited on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.760 #10 · p.760 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:

sent my camera back for some of these very issues that were driving me nuts....on the phone now trying to see if I can get it back

'Oh CRAP! I hope it works out for you ... but I do love your Mono shots. Who needs color anyway?

On a side note - I tried another adapter (from my 28) on the Nokton 50 1.5 and it turns out it IS the adapter causing the back focus. Whew! I ordered a new voigtlander 50/75 from cameraquest today!

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.760 #11 · p.760 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Just saw this. The official release
http://everybodystreet.com/

Oct 11, 2013 at 06:58 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.760 #12 · p.760 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam, sorry to hear about the 50 APO! Hope it is back soon After having the 50 Cron Rigid DR, I am now moving towards this look, rather than the Nocti. I love the new images with the new 50 APO.
Allen, thank you for the excellent link!
Joakim, very nice shots.
Ryan, wonderful images! Yes the M-M is amazing for low light work, and in fact for any B&W work. I hope the M240 is sorted out for you quickly!!

My issue for traveling is that is a real pain to carry two different setups, batteries and chargers. At least with the M9 everything was a backup for the M-M. This last trip I only took the M240's, and having the LV was great, as your partner and others could take shots. The other issue is that if there is any serious bump, and your RF is off calibration you can revert to LV.
I have since found out the new RF calibration setup for the M240 is massive and another order of magnitude more accurate(and expensive too), and is the reason why if the calibration is off, they are sent off to Solms. The same methods for the M9 calibration can still be used, but will not be as accurate.

Some more shots from Ubud, Bali. M240 50 Cron Rigid DR. Last shot is at 3200 ISO pushed +1.

Oct 11, 2013 at 08:08 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.760 #13 · p.760 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie, glad you sorted your adapter woes. Looking forward to more pics from you with the CV50.
Cal, lovely rendering with the Canon 85 1.2, really smooth looking. Please share more pics with this lens!
Charles, excellent series and glad to hear that you are happy with the M240 and 50DR combo. #1 & 2 from first set and the B&W from 2nd set are great! I would suggest keeping the Monochrom, not as a backup but another setup for vintage lenses and when there is no light
Joakim, beautiful fall (autumn) colors (colours)!
Ryan, excellent set with the Monochrom. #2 is my favorite. Hope your M(240) returns soon.

adamdewilde wrote:
I'd suggest trying to get a 80/2 Contax645 lens.. In fact any Contax 645 lens is great, but my favorite is the 80/2
The autofocus hassy 100/2 is a good lens as well, but for the price, I'd just pick up a 80/2 Contax..

Enjoy the camera, and can't wait to see more pictures!

Thanks Adam. Sell me one of your Contax 80/2 lens? . Contax 645 AF lenses are nice, very smooth but I think they are showing their age when compared to the Hassy H or Leica S lenses? I'll get a set at some point, especially the 80/2 and 120/4 Macro. On the S2, with the crop factor, we do lose a little of the Contax 80/2 magic, but its still a very nice lens, great for portraits. I'm not really considering the Hassy H lenses as they are slower than the S counterparts and also quite pricey. Might as well go for the S lenses. I'll also want to try the Hassy Zeiss 110/2 at some point.

adamdewilde wrote:
I also like the 80 1.9(?) Mamiya manual focus lens, it's pretty nifty, but I could never get sharp shots anywhere past half body...

I find focusing the 80 1.9 on the S2 quite easy. The VF on the S2 is one of the best I have used. Its really bright that I can actually see the focus plane most of the time without needing to look at the focus confirmation light.

adamdewilde wrote:
I'm actually not sure which adapters are currently available?!

I think I mentioned earlier, dumb adapters either from Leica or 3rd party are available for Mamiya 645, Pentax 67 and Hassy V lenses. Electronic AF adapters with lens exif are available for Hassy H and Contax 645 AF. Leica had to reverse engineer these electronic adapters. In Hasselblad's case, they did not want to provide Leica with information.

adamdewilde wrote:
I borrowed and played with a S camera and a bunch of lenses for a while, on two occasions. I found that for my style of shooting it was difficult to use. The autofocus was slow and inconsistent, and harder to manual focus then other 645 cameras. It's a lot easier to manual focus the contax, so I stuck with that.. And after selling my hassy digital, I'm looking actively for a digital back for my contax... Just to have. BUT with that said, I really did like the files I got from the S, and I really did LOVE
...Show more
For me the S2 is an excellent compromise into medium format. I looked at Pentax645 first but decided against for lack of lens compatibility, files are very 35mm with 14bit color instead of 16bit, extremely slow RAW buffer. I don't shoot billboards or fashion, so I don't need the Phase One/ Leaf backs, plus the Phase DF body needs serious updating. Hassy is great but I prefer the simplicity of the S2, especially for the DSLR form factor, weather sealing and the superb S lenses.

I agree autofocus on the S2 or any medium format digital is slow, but I find it usable for my needs. I'm not interested in adapting a digital back for the Contax, just too much hassle, and its hard to find parts. I would suggest getting a S2 or a S as a new body for your Contax lenses. If you like your 50APO, you'll like all of the S lenses.

-----
Back to pics

S2 Mamiya 80 1.9

S2 Summarit 70-CS. First pic was a high ISO test. Shot at 640, pushed 2 stops in LR.

I quite like the grain when converter to B&W

Picked up a SF58 to use with the S2

Trying out central shutter @1/350s with SF58

Oct 11, 2013 at 09:54 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.760 #14 · p.760 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles, Love both set, those skin tone color remind me your last year (or maybe early this year) Bali set with M9.

Joakim, the Autumn color looks great. #3 is my fav

Allen, thank for sharing the link... will visit later

Ryan, another great set from MM, hope you can solve your M240 problem.

Joe, Great portrait with S, now you also have another home for medium format digital thread here. You made me looking into S system. Contax 80 is one of lens I find very interesting. most MF portrait with shallow DOF I love is from Contax system but you are definitely right about sensor size (of S) is a concern for keeping its magic...

But, bright huge viewfinder with DSLR shape really stay in my mind make me think it might be the ultimate DSLR I am seeking for manual focusing....decision, decision.

I also wonder why Leica didn't design a f1.4 or even f2 lens for their S system? I don't care pixel, but rendering of DOF is the main reason I am interesting in MF system. D800 and Zeiss 55f1.4 give me another path to this for a lot lower price though

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:46 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.760 #15 · p.760 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

After a rather long photo hiatus I decided to go out and shoot yesterday in order to capture some of the ridiculously vibrant autumn colors.. It usually only lasts a week or so here in Stockholm.

Oct 12, 2013 at 03:41 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.760 #16 · p.760 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
Adam, sorry to hear about the 50 APO! Hope it is back soon After having the 50 Cron Rigid DR, I am now moving towards this look, rather than the Nocti. I love the new images with the new 50 APO.
Allen, thank you for the excellent link!
Joakim, very nice shots.
Ryan, wonderful images! Yes the M-M is amazing for low light work, and in fact for any B&W work. I hope the M240 is sorted out for you quickly!!

My issue for traveling is that is a real pain to carry two different setups, batteries and chargers. At least with the M9
...Show more

Hi Charles,

It's not really an issue, I love the lens so much I'm hoping that they sort it out properly. And I don't have issues with it in the future. I'd like it if the rainbow flare stayed in the corners (as seen in the shot of my wife, and some of the horse shots), but I don't like the ghosting etc. So we'll see how they sort the issue out for me.

I like your black and white image. It for some reason reminds me of the 50 1.5 ZM.. Just that shot though, something about the rendering bokeh.

Oct 12, 2013 at 04:11 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.760 #17 · p.760 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:

Thanks Adam. Sell me one of your Contax 80/2 lens? . Contax 645 AF lenses are nice, very smooth but I think they are showing their age when compared to the Hassy H or Leica S lenses? I'll get a set at some point, especially the 80/2 and 120/4 Macro. On the S2, with the crop factor, we do lose a little of the Contax 80/2 magic, but its still a very nice lens, great for portraits. I'm not really considering the Hassy H lenses as they are slower than the S counterparts and also quite pricey. Might as
...Show more

Good points. I'm wondering if the smaller sensor makes to much of a negative impact on the overall image. I mean to the point where I'd rather not give up the DSLR high ISO and autofocus speeds (almost like ). It's hard to say.. So at the end of the day, even though you'll have great fun adapting lenses, maybe you're right, the Leica S-lenses are probably the biggest draw to the system. That's what I felt anyway from the brief few shoots I did with it.

The Hassy lenses are ok, I liked the 100/2 and I though that MF speed was on par with the S lenses, and it's actually a pretty decent lens. The only reason I mentioned it though, is from what I've been seeing, it can be had used for a good amount less then what a Leica 70mm costs, and it's compatible with the S-system. Though by that logic, I think you should give the 80/2 a shot, it's a much better/cheaper lens.

From my use, I found autofocus to be a problem (especially with subjects walking towards me), to the point where I manual focused. And I prefer to manual focus my contax (maybe because I have a brightening screen installed?). But at the end of the day you are right, the contax system is "dated" and then you'll find yourself hoarding them like me.. I have so many redundant parts and extra kits, it's annoying. And for the price these suckers fetch now a days, if I sold everything off, I could almost afford a S-system anyway.

Honestly though, every time I look at my 80/2 images, I really think that lens is hard to beat. So please do borrow one soon (if I were in the states, I'd let you borrow one of mine).. I'd love to see how it looks on the S-system (you might convince me to buy one yet).
That and yes, I completely forgot, the 110 hassy/zeiss lens is great. Someone on the forum here a long time ago use to shoot with one.. He's gone now (went to getdpi, then disappeared).. But he always took amazing shots with that lens.

Oct 12, 2013 at 04:34 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.760 #18 · p.760 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great shots everyone! Lovely work and very insipring!

Just one observation from regularly visiting this thread and looking at all the posted photographs. Does anyone else find the M240 files really flat? (not in contrast but in 3D rendering). Compared the the M9 and S2 shots, I can't help but be underwhelmed by the M240 general rendering. Is it the CCD vs CMOS or something else?

Oct 12, 2013 at 06:05 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.760 #19 · p.760 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you Joe, Michael and Adam, and for all the likes
Joe, great portraits, and I am loving your images from the S2!!
Luka, superb shots!
Edward, you are right the images from the M240 are flatter, as are the files from the Sony RX1R. My feeling is that with the increased dynamic range of both, there is a need to further enhance to image via PP'ing. Still early days and a lot to learn.

There is a definite improvement in skin tones with the M240 after the latest update, and I will post some shots later.

Sony's A7r 36MP this month on the 16th will prove to be a game changer. I'm not necessarily aligned or tied to Leica, and I must admit if the A7r performs, it will be a system to be along side the M240. I have been so impressed with the RX1R, the sensor and lens, yet ergonomically I still pick up the M240 all the time. This was not the case before when I had the M9P, where the RX1R was used equally. I feel the ergonomics of using the system to capture the images are as important now, as the difference in the FF outputs are really being decided by the final PP'ing and subtleties decided by the manufacturers. I am very excited by the news of the A7r and the direction Sony is taking

Oct 12, 2013 at 07:35 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.760 #20 · p.760 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Great shots everyone! Lovely work and very insipring!

Just one observation from regularly visiting this thread and looking at all the posted photographs. Does anyone else find the M240 files really flat? (not in contrast but in 3D rendering). Compared the the M9 and S2 shots, I can't help but be underwhelmed by the M240 general rendering. Is it the CCD vs CMOS or something else?

Edward, you are brave I tend to agree this. I thought that all digital camera will be similar as long as you profile your camera, keep good WB etc.... But since tried Canon 6d, and also compare M9 with D700, I realize camera's signature is very strong, strong enough that you can trace its signature by viewing enough images from each.
In this case, I will reserve the right to say which is better or worse, but personally, can only say i prefer M9's color. It's signature is so strong make me think this is leica color, and my D700 is nikon color I will use to judge that brand. I'd say difference is obvious. If you set your reference as M9, then the difference won't make you happy. Otherwise, if you set your reference to M240, you might not happy with M9 as well I wasn't happy at the time of getting M9, now everything changed

Luka, great images, miss your images and intelligent talk
Adam, I envy you have so many system/gear to choose from. I agree Manual focus is the way to go with meformat, especially with the skill I gained over the year chase kids with my DSLR kit

Oct 12, 2013 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.