Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              758      
       760              1022       1023       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.759 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
I missed your post yesterday but now that I seen the trailer I am really looking forward to see the film even if I am not much into street photography myself. I doubt this film will make it into a Swedish cinema so I'll have to look out for a download or streamed version.

I loved the trailer, totally got me pumped to take some random street scenes, sadly I probably won't seek out the documentary, unless someone were to sit me down and watch it with me.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:47 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.759 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Since I was mentioned by Mitch in his post, I have to say that I'm still on the fence regarding the color, but I have somewhat a better more positive impression.

It looks like the lens comparison issues, some lenses have an almost mythical status, but in blind comparisons, no one is able to tell which is which. The same goes for the M240 color. I was very critical at first, but then in blind comparisons between M9 and M240 photos, I often selected the M240 files as being from the M9, and I found them more pleasing, and if
...Show more

+1, but then again I've never been good with these things. I hate taking photos in Singapore, and the only way I'll know if I like the M240 or not, is if I travel to a land with better light (going to Australia in late Aug, how's the light over there? Comparable to southern California?).

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:51 PM
rirakuma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.759 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, you should take some street pics from the China Town market. I remember when I was there it was really colorful and full of culture.

Zhangyue love your third pic, the colors are really pleasing.
Joakim great bw as usual
Denoir love that last cow shot. Colors are so poppy and natural
Ron really nice pics. That SEM is no slouch I wish I could afford one.

Heres another shot from my recent hike. I wanted this one looking natural so I kept it dark as it was at the time. I'm not sure if I'm pleased with the result but thought it'd be worth sharing.

Edited on Jul 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.759 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma, dark is good. I like the look of this.

óMitch/Pak Nam Pran

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.759 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
...I hate taking photos in Singapore, and the only way I'll know if I like the M240 or not, is if I travel to a land with better light (going to Australia in late Aug, how's the light over there? Comparable to southern California?).

Answer: shoot at night.

óMitch/Pak Nam Pran

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:14 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.759 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
Adam, you should take some street pics from the China Town market. I remember when I was there it was really colorful and full of culture.

Joakim great bw as usual

Heres another shot from my recent hike. I wanted this one looking natural so I kept it dark as it was at the time. I'm not sure if I'm pleased with the result but thought it'd
...Show more

Pretty awesome overgrowth!!

Yeah, I've done that in my M8 days.. This island is to small

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:26 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.759 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:

Joakim great bw as usual

Heres another shot from my recent hike. I wanted this one looking natural so I kept it dark as it was at the time. I'm not sure if I'm pleased with the result but thought it'd
...Show more

I like it. You have enough detail in the shadows and I really like the rich greens.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:29 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.759 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
I think Luka, pending his love of kids... My wife isn't looking to give up her fun lifestyle just yet.. And frankly, I'm kinda thinking diaper bills vs Noctilux funding

BTW Congratulations Luka!

Thanks, and congrats to you as well

As for kids..neither of us is really crazy about them but we also figure that if its your own you tend to like it a bit better There's no rush as far as we're concerned

A bunch of very linear shots from Ebeltoft (Denmark), Lago di Garda (Italy) and Cannes (France) - not that the location matters all that much in this case

Great shots of Italy BTW, trying to book a honeymoon there as soon as my schedule frees up.

A tip: rent a small car. My logic was that as we would be going from Florence->Lago Di Garda->Nice->Cannes->Monte Carlo that a larger car would be nicer for the longer stretches. So I got us a rather big and heavy Mercedes. I had no intention of driving in Florence or any other Italian city. When we were leaving Florence for Lago di Garda, I made the mistake of taking a northern route on smaller roads in order to avoid the boring highway. I severely underestimated how narrow the roads got and within an hour of leaving Florence I had already rammed the car into a wall when avoiding oncoming traffic. I scratched it pretty badly (we were actually the first to drive this car - it was brand new), and I was really happy for having chosen full insurance. Anyway, Italy + Large car = not a good idea.

For the really stupid thing with the car I had to wait for France. When going to Monte Carlo, I had the idea of trying to get a photo of the car, preferably with some nice background. So I picked out on Google Maps a nice parking place that was very close to the beach. Unfortunately I missed it as I took an early turn but as it happened there were a bunch of trucks and camping wagons by the beach next to the parking space. So I thought I'd take the shots there. I went for it, drove out to the beach.. My wife said "Uh..I don't think this is a good idea I think you are going to get... stuck". While she was saying that last word we got... stuck. And at the same time it dawned on me that I had just plowed through a beach with a massive 3-ton car. Of course I'd get stuck.

Anwyay, to make a long story short, we had to get towed. It was done pretty quickly and didn't cost too much so we got a good story out of it. Plus my wife was really a good sport and refrained from expressing what she probably was thinking about me and my driving

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.759 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Haha, nice story, Luka. Glad it worked out OK and you could get a laugh out of it. And this is my kind of photo set too! Love the lines, particularly 2-5. Replace the coke can with a Tim Hortons coffee cup, add a few scattered around on the beach, and you could be in Canada.

Mitch Alland wrote:
rirakuma, dark is good. I like the look of this.

óMitch/Pak Nam Pran

I agree. I think dark works well. I get the feeling that with digital there's often a temptation to pixel polish to the extent that everything is visible. Shadows are extracted, highlights pulled back... The Salgado exhibit I visited a few weeks ago reminded me that crushed shadows in particular can look really good (not that all were printed that way).

Mitch Alland wrote:
This brings me to the M240, which you refer to above. As you may recall, I number among the skeptics on M240 color, who have been castigated by our friend Edward. This morning I had a Skype conversation with someone who referred to Thorsten Overgaard's emerging M240 review in his blog, we paged through the few pages he has on this and also looked at the first two pages of his M9 review. From even a cursory look, one can see that Overgaard was producing much better color with the M9 than he is getting with his M240. We'll
...Show more
seekuh wrote:
Funny, this is exactly what I wrote Ron in an e-mail.

adamdewilde wrote:
Yeah, but things like this take time to get right, once you're use to working a certain way..
Honestly though, I've not found myself in a situation where I could do a direct comparison. Maybe I should borrow an M9 and do some side by side shots (although I'm sure someone on here will beat me to it, as I'm pretty busy the next couple of weeks).

I agree with Adam. One needs to find a happy workflow with any new camera. And I agree with Edward that given the effort, it's not too difficult to very closely match M9 and M240 files. If I read Overgaard correctly, I believe he's fairly hands-off with his files, therefore differences between the M9 & M240 will be more evident. I attribute this to differences in color profiles and dynamic range.

From a different visit with friends... on this day I shot 90% with the 28 Cron. Not sure why, but it just worked out that way.

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:27 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.759 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

This thread is on steroids, it moves fast than any thread on Alt board now

Joakim, the BW looks very neutral with great detail and I love the cloud.
Rirakuma, good taste on PP, I like the realness.
Luka, I love the city series. That is a nice/funny story. Do you drive regularly in Sweden? Just curious since you are manage to get so many story within short period

Ron, the last set from you have really nice color and lighting. I agree about your treatment for Zeiss and Leica. It happen that way also because of ZM usually either a low speed lens or not as great at F2 for OFC area, so we want magnify its strong point.

About M240 color: I totally agree with people here that we need time to get familiar with particular camera. (I am the one always struggling, first with M9 and now with 6D ) The problem arise because we have our expectation/standard about M240ís file, we want it match M9. (In my case 6Dís file to match D700 or M9) This approach itself may be questionable.

Give or take, M9ís file usually have strong signature, you donít really need do anything to have that signature. M240 doesnít have that strong signature; it is more neutral, more like untouched raw file, raw material. You need to be a good chef to cook it well. For people have experience to dealing with different file all the time, they may quickly adjust themselves to get the results they want.

50lux WO from Kauai

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • •
p.759 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka - awesome photos, thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Ron - Nice, I like the 28cron, but I'm surprised at the bokeh in the second photo.

zhangyue - FANTASTIC three shots.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:40 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.759 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Good stuff here lately all, way to much to comment on all of them!

rirakuma awesome 1 shot landscape!

zhangyue awesome Hawaiian series, capture the mood and the colors very well

Ron lots of pop on your latest series

denoir very nice lines here, the first for me for sure

Phil

Mono w/nocti WO - Growing Grand Daughter! The only time I can capture her is when she is sleeping!

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:12 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.759 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hey, Luka! Good to see you here again! Nice sets and stories!

Jul 26, 2013 at 09:25 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.759 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

denoir wrote:
A tip: rent a small car.

+1, especially if it's just 2 of you. coincidentally, i also dinged up a rental mercedes on a narrow country road in tuscana, though i believe it was near lucca rather than firenze.

even better than a small car would be motorcycles, can't think of a more fun place to ride (the countryside i mean not in/around the larger towns).

great to see posts from you again luka!

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.759 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Michael - love the motion in these and the moodiness of the first one.
Phil - lovely and very peaceful!

adamdewilde wrote:
Ron - Nice, I like the 28cron, but I'm surprised at the bokeh in the second photo.

Do you mean the busy bokeh in the tree branches at the top of the frame? I think that's pretty typical of wide angle lenses. Maybe there's a bit of field curvature contributing to this too? Could also be from running these through a basic downsizing function with a set sharpening value that I tend to find is too high for the 28 Cron, but good for the 21/50 Luxes wide open. You can see the center of the frame is much smoother looking, so it could probably stand a bit of cropping too. It would be interesting to also shoot the scene with the RX1 in comparison (a few steps back with it for similar framing). I'm sure the background would improve (blur more) by shooting closer, but I liked the composition like this. I do like the 28 Cron a lot for people pictures at around 1-1.5m. This one was probably more around 2.5ish.

Right about here is where I'm yelling "don't look at the sun!"

Both with 28 Cron wide open. Second one is probably around 1m or a bit closer.

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.759 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Growing Grand Daughter! The only time I can capture her is when she is sleeping!

Use your Nikon, . So peaceful.

Ron, Love that skin tone! great!

adding one pic 35cron V1, Kauai.
f2.8. not bad for 50 year old lens. The focus also spot on from all my lens this time on my M9.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.759 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^nice shots from the 28 cron Ron. I've been looking into that lens and I'm starting to feel that its probably the closest to a 21mm ZF that I can get on a Leica mount. I was thinking of getting an adapter for the Nikon-Leica mount just so I can use that lens but I can already imagine now it will be a pain to use regularly. I'll probably have to resort to the voigtlander ultron because the cron is so expensive.

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.759 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
^nice shots from the 28 cron Ron. I've been looking into that lens and I'm starting to feel that its probably the closest to a 21mm ZF that I can get on a Leica mount. I was thinking of getting an adapter for the Nikon-Leica mount just so I can use that lens but I can already imagine now it will be a pain to use regularly. I'll probably have to resort to the voigtlander ultron because the cron is so expensive.

Did u try the 21 SE leica? Someone I know having used both zeiss 21 ZF and the 21 SE says the leica has the upper hand.

Jul 27, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.759 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Yeah, but things like this take time to get right, once you're use to working a certain way..
Honestly though, I've not found myself in a situation where I could do a direct comparison [M240 vs M9]. Maybe I should borrow an M9 and do some side by side shots (although I'm sure someone on here will beat me to it, as I'm pretty busy the next couple of weeks)..., but then again I've never been good with these things.

Neither have I, and I couldn't get myself to do comparisons tests, so I understand that you're not dying to do that.

zhangyue wrote:
..About M240 color: I totally agree with people here that we need time to get familiar with particular camera. (I am the one always struggling, first with M9 and now with 6D ) The problem arise because we have our expectation/standard about M240ís file, we want it match M9. (In my case 6Dís file to match D700 or M9) This approach itself may be questionable.

Give or take, M9ís file usually have strong signature, you donít really need do anything to have that signature. M240 doesnít have that strong signature; it is more neutral, more like untouched raw file, raw
...Show more

There is truth in what you say, but up till now this look like an optimistic position, considering what's been coming out of this camera (I know, "early days") and mine is the pessimistic position. Within a year we'll know who's right. For Leica's sake, I hope that you are.

Ron, Jim Kasson joined the discussion in the thread I started on LUF, called
M9 Colors at Night ó Best Way to Shoot High ISO?. If you have any questions on the "ISO 600 + push in post" technique, you may want to ask him.

He's said a couple of interesting things (page 5 of the linked thread). One is that "one of the subtleties of "ISO-less" exposure is that not all raw processors push the same way...Lightroom Process Version 2010 works very differently than LR PV 2012. The PV 2010 Exposure control works like the ISO dial on the camera; it applies gain equally to all channels. In that regard, it works like the Exposure adjustment layer in PS...The LR PV 2012 Exposure control attempts to reproduce the soft clipped highlight behavior of film... I like the PV 2012 Exposure algorithm a lot. I have found the color shifts, although a theoretical issue, to be no problem at all in practice. Hard clipping causes its own color shifts, too. I don't like the hard clipping inherent in digital cameras, and always preferred the more forgiving behavior of film cameras, and consider the soft clipping of PV 2012 to be a beneficial sade effect of pushing in post."

Pushing with the M-Monochrom
I asked Jim how pushing might work in with the M-Monochrom in terms of where the breakpoint was between having better IQ from increasing ISO in-comera vs pushing in post, which for the M9 is at ISO 640. His response was, "If it's the same sensor and the only change is the removal of the Color Filter Array, then the ISO where the noise starts to fall off relative to pushing in post should be twice as high [as the M9], since the removal of the CFA makes the sensor twice as efficient at converting photons to electrons. Therefore, I'd expect that the point where you should stop increasing the ISO is 1250...If it's a different sensor, I don't know the answer, since I've never tested -- or even seen -- an M Monochrom."

M-Monochrom users might question the need for shooting ISO 1250 and pushing in post, since the M-Monchrom can produce good images at ISO 5,000 and ISO 10,000. The advantages would the same as for using the "ISO 640 + push in post" technique for the M9, i.e. producing less noise and more dynamic range, applying in post the minimum Exposure increase (the minimum "effective ISO") necessary for the look desired, and eliminating for the night shooting the need to change ISO once it's set at 1250. I'll have to try this when I resume shooting towards the end of next month when I'll be in Paris.

Now for some pictures. The following are all taken in Pak Nam Pran (a fishing village turning to tourism 20 minutes south of Hua Hin) with the Summilux-50 pre-ASPH, whose rendering I like better than that of the current ASPH version. In the past, I've done most of my street photography in B&W and with large depth of field. No 1 illustrates the sort of "Gaugain-type" color that I tried very successfully to get with the Ricoh GXR and the GXR M-Module (although the framing could have been different), while No. 5-6 point to a direction that I would like to go to with some of my pictures.

No. 1

Pak Nam Pran

No. 2

Pak Nam Pran

No. 3

Pak Nam Pran

No. 4

Pak Nam Pran

No. 5

Pak Nam Pran

No. 6

Pak Nam Pran

óMitch/Pak Nam Pran
Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom/Sri Lanka]

Jul 27, 2013 at 01:17 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.759 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yes, this thread is on steroids!!
rirakuma, very nice! The scene does have the dark rainforest feel.
Luka, great set. Particularly #1, 3, 5 & 6. Nothing like having a Mercedes bogged in the sand . Also congratulations!!!
Ron, I am loving your recent images, and the PP'ing of them. They have an amazing sharpness, and color integrity to them.
Michael, wonderful shots with the 50 Lux!
Phil, lovely shot of your grand daughter.
Mitch, nice set.

I am in a quandry! I had my Sony RX1 drop on the lens two days ago in the office from a desk, and fortunately it is covered my insurance, where is will be replaced with the RX1R within the next week.

I had a call last night, that a new M240 black was finally available and had the weekend to make a decision by Monday. I am not sure about this now! I have my M9P Chrome on ebay, and see what kind of response it brings.

When the M240 was first announced, I put my name on the list, but now my gut is telling me to wait for about 6 months. If the response from ebay is good, I will no doubt go with the M240, but I feel reluctant more than ever to upgrade. I had no reservations about the M-M, nor the M9P. My low light preference if the Sony RX1R sensor, so in acquiring the M240 will mainly be for ergonomics, and I am sure with some practice the M240 files will be great.

Jul 27, 2013 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password