Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              757      
       759              1041       1042       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.758 #1 · p.758 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

About clarity. I will apply it if the subject is very simply has strong line, geometry etc. something like this:

and this

Usually, the sharper the lens, or the better focused image, the less clarity you need.

For country side landscape at fun sun, I even apply negative to help keep detail of foliage. Cloud is always benefit from Clarity and contrast slider.

Luka, Another great set. This time, I won't pick favorite, as they all looking good.
Ryan, I like VSCO myself for portrait. I don't use on M file much especially for city and landscape as I still want to explore myself. The #2 in first set is great. I also like the 2nd set from PX-70 preset. perfect here.
rirakuma, beautiful set with great sharpness and color.
Adam, nice skin tone in this one.
Edward, safe trip and look forward to see your image.

Here are two more from 35cron V1

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.758 #2 · p.758 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Clarity Slider

denoir wrote:
...Regarding clarity slider, I only use it on occasion for one purpose: enhancing clouds. I don't apply it on the whole picture but as a graduated filter. I can sometimes follow it up with a selective sharpening in PS after resizing...

rsolti13 wrote:
...Regarding clarity I think I do what Luka does. I hardly ever apply to entire image. I pick the places that I want sharpened and clarity enhanced and locally apply. Clouds ALWAYS get a clarity adjustment..

edwardkaraa wrote:
I personally never use the clarity slider. I know it's very trendy nowadays, but for me, the results are unnatural and quite unrefined.

I find that I can't make a hard a fast rule, as it depends on the aesthetic intent. While I saw that in the picture above, which has a large area of o-o-f leaves in the background, it made sense to apply Clarity only to the young woman's,face, I usually shoot stopped down to smaller apertures — and, combined with high contrast, I find that I like the look of the light better applying Clarity. In general, I found that the night pictures that I recently posted using the "ISO 640+push in post" technique, looked better when I applies Clariy, which, BTW, allowed me to pull back a bit on the push in Exposure. So, I look on a picture-by-picture basis to decide whether to apply Clarity.

EDIT: Thanks. zhangyue: I saw your post after posting the above.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:20 PM
joakim
• • •
p.758 #3 · p.758 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, nice shots of your kids and interesting to read your about your experience with VSCO.
rirakuma, #3 and#4 are very good and #1 is very funny, nice catch!
Adam, nice portrait.

One from today with the 50 Summilux

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:51 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.758 #4 · p.758 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yes Denoir, outstanding work.

Colored like candy Zhang. nice images.

Nice BW Joakim

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:01 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.758 #5 · p.758 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Can't wait to see this
http://vimeo.com/70639661#

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.758 #6 · p.758 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Never using clarity.. there are much more sophisticated things to do same.

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:33 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.758 #7 · p.758 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Luka, another fantastic set! Really like #3 and #6. Travel business or pleasure? You going to start having time to shoot again? We miss the images!

Thanks Ryan Lovely shots of your kids! The Florence/Nice/Cannes/Monte Carlo shots were actually from my honeymoon. So I didn't get much shooting done there

I did however get a bit more time when we were a couple of weeks later in Denmark visiting my wife's family. I have a bunch of shots from there that I still haven't processed. Her sister lives out in the country side so I had some fun photographing fields and farm animals..

Sokrates is my sister in laws horse:

A bunch of cows whose names I don't know:

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:00 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.758 #8 · p.758 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue - Thanks, tried to process it like film.. Not sure if I succeeded, but thanks.

joakim - Thanks, like the clouds! The little rock almost looks like a sea monster.

denoir - I like the animal shots (and the second image), love the horse even though I'm usually very fussy about black and white shots that have a tint. Great shots of Italy BTW, trying to book a honeymoon there as soon as my schedule frees up.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:25 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.758 #9 · p.758 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Phil, wonderful B&W shot with the Nocti
Ryan, really enjoying your series of shots! Especially the last set of portraits!!!
Luka, excellent series!!! Cannot pick here any favorites, but always love the your style
Ron, great images! Really appreciate your take on PP'ing the green, as I find this so difficult in the rainforests here in Queensland.
rirakuma, very nice, almost neighbors!!!
Michael, excellent! Love the deep rich colors.
Joakim, nice B&W image.

adamdewilde wrote:
Sure.. Sounds good to me :P

Having had a M9 and also a M9P, I have kept both very accurately calibrated and sync'd, by sending them to Camera Clinic in Melbourne, where they have my master cal files for all the lenses and bodies, I have found the focusing accuracy with the M9's have been great even with the Nocti.

I think the issue with the M9's, is that the delivered versions from Leica, have not been accurately calibrated in spec, and it can take a few weeks, to figure why the focusing is not quite right. The problem of course the calibration is not linear, and may work well in certain ranges, mid to far, but not close. Then add to the mix, old and new Leica lenses have slightly different cam designs for focusing, so it is a complex issue trying to have the body and lenses to be all calibrated.

It would seem the new M240, is better spec'd and adjusted.

With regards, to the clarity, the algorithm used for Lr5/PS6 is quite different to previous versions, and works well for certain lenses. Obviously there better methods in PS6 Lab space, as this give a very different feel and look again. This is more time consuming, but with certain set actions in PS, this does speed up the PP'ing.

For the Nocti f/1.0, the files are very maleable, whereas with the 28 Cron is very different again with PP'ing. Even the 24 Lux, at f/1.4 I treat the PP'ing differently than at f/5.6 and f/8.0

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.758 #10 · p.758 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
...With regards, to the clarity, the algorithm used for Lr5/PS6 is quite different to previous versions, and works well for certain lenses. Obviously there better methods in PS6 Lab space, as this give a very different feel and look again. This is more time consuming, but with certain set actions in PS, this does speed up the PP'ing...

Charles, thanks for the CLEAR explanation on CLARITY.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.758 #11 · p.758 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
Can't wait to see this
http://vimeo.com/70639661#

So I'm I the only one pumped about this documentary? The best of the best in this.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:21 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.758 #12 · p.758 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

No Allen I think it's a great documentary! Awesome to hear the heart of these photographers, really gets me pumped

Thanks for sharing

Phil

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:29 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.758 #13 · p.758 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
With some photographs I find that it takes time to come to a conclusion on a new photograph, before you suddenly see that you really like it or really don't. That's the reason that I like to post continuous flow of pictures to my flickr stream: not that one consistently gets good comments on flickr; but once in a while someone comments in a way that makes you see something that you didn't about the picture. In other words, I don't post necessarily what I think are my best pictures to flickr, but post to see if there is
...Show more

Mitch, thanks for your thoughts on this. I find Flickr interesting. Some use it as a showcase for their very best photography, but I prefer your approach. I think I'm even less strict about what I post there, with it being more like a scrapbook where I 'dump' anything I kind of like. I guess the problem with this is after awhile the number of images amassed is quite substantial and highly unlikely for 99.9% of visitors to wade through.

Regarding this thread, my hope is someday we catch and surpass the ZE/ZF/ZM thread, even though they have about a 6 month head start. Seriously, the breadth of images posted here is what I enjoy most. It bucks the "Leica is only for street photography" stereotype (I realize you use it a lot for this) and shows the system can really be used for pretty much anything within its technical limits, though with the M240 now, even those limits are much more flexible. It's also interesting to go back through the thread, which I just did, and see images from a couple years ago, see how some photographers have changed their style or techniques, while others remain consistent to what they post now. Children have grown some too. Checking in daily over time results in a lot of gradually accumulated knowledge about the Leica M system as well as about images. Luka was a great source for this until he go busy elsewhere.

Clarity: an interesting topic. I'm becoming more selective in my use of it. Lately I've tried to avoid it most of the time in my 'base' adjustment of images. I think this is due to a few factors: I probably overdid it with clarity and contrast when I first got into the M9 system with ZM lenses simply because it was new and I could. It was also my introduction to Lightroom, previously having used only Canon's DPP raw converter and customized scripts in PS with overlay layers, etc. for my homebrew version of clarity. So to have it as a slider in LR was too easy to resist. But I also think the ZM lenses somewhat biased my image interpretations to harder, higher contrast, particularly any kind of urban scene I photographed with them. For example these photos of mine from March 2011 in Switzerland. I even commented on how much I liked LR & clarity. They look quite HDRish in hindsight. Or my images on these pages: pg240 & pg241.

Looking back at some of these I doubt I would process them the same way now. But there are times I will use a lot of clarity. Like Michael commented, with abstract architectural elements, clouds, snow, etc.. anything where I'm trying to boost texture. Also for scenes where I'm trying to extract a lot of buried shadow values. High clarity combined with boosted saturation, exposure and substantially reduced contrast can sometimes work better than the shadow slider. But now I usually do most clarity adjustments selectively with a brush. I also very often use negative clarity selectively with a brush on areas of skin, combined with reduced contrast and an increase in exposure. Or in high contrast transitions where I see halos forming from high clarity values in base adjustments.

Another factor in my change of taste about clarity is probably due to now primarily using Leica lenses, which have different characteristics than the Zeiss. The Zeiss have great contrast and I often felt like I could push that even more for greater effect, even if it looked less natural and more stylized. Now with the Leica lenses, there's a lot of subtle gradation that I feel I want to keep. To apply a lot of clarity to images by a lens like the 50 Lux ASPH and its really smooth background rendering, totally obliterates the unique character of the lens. Sometimes the image is about preserving that character to enhance the subject content, whereas other times, like a well stopped down urban scene that could have been shot with any brand lens, the unique lens character is not prominent and the PP is all about the subject content rather than the lens.

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Adam. I should try to find another M9 to compare mine against. The streaky banding really only is visible if files are pushed a couple stops or more, at least most of the time. For most normal situations it's unnoticeable. It just really freaked me out last week with the blatantly bad banding I posted... Problem with the M240 is finding one. Too impatient to wait, too lazy to actually look for one. Saves me $7000 too. While I think it will be a pretty big improvement in usability over the M9, the little quirks you're reporting, and
...Show more
adamdewilde wrote:
Think it's settled, I'm getting the 21 SEM, Ron your fault, so I'll send you the bill in the mail..

Now that you mention it, I actually do think that's the problem with the 28cron, it's to well corrected in camera. Maybe I should try turning off lens corrections and see if that helps?!

Honestly, there are a lot of small frustrations with the camera, the slow startup is the worst of them.. But I think it's just because I sold off the M9P a few months back, so I've been using D4/D700/D800 and they're all faster then necessary cameras. The other
...Show more

Don't send me a bill, instead buy through my B&H affiliate link

Keep up the M240 feedback! The start up would be annoying, since this also seems to be card dependent. That said, from what I've read so far, the M240 should be snappier to use compared to the M9. That extra fps probably makes a pretty big difference. And for me, at something like a wedding, would be a big improvement.

The portrait and its colors look really good for ISO 3200.

Luka - great sets! Favorite from the first set is #7 and really like the Sokrates portrait. Congrats on your wedding too! Any bets on whether you or Adam will be the first with a kid?
Ryan - thanks for the VSCO summary. I like what you're doing with it to emulate the Portra look, a film I always liked. Not as crazy about PX-70 Warm. While it has a nice aesthetic, it's ruined for me by all the Instagram filtered cellphone photos everywhere. Just yesterday I downloaded the Nik software package to try Dfine on my banding plagued images, but also messed around a bit with the other apps. I thought Silver Efex was pretty nice, particularly the film emulations. Less enthused about Color Efex. Maybe worth checking out VSCO instead since Dfine probably won't contribute much of a solution, therefore no point in spending the not inconsequential sum on the Nik package.
rirakuma: Fun shot of the Alpacas and really like #4! Don't mind the B&W either, though I agree the scene works better in color. I'm not sure I'm seeing much difference in your M240 images vs. what one can get from the M9. Maybe what you're seeing from the M9 is a consequence of its narrower dynamic range which results in inherently higher contrast images?
Michael, very nice and lush images!
Joakim - wow, love the clouds!
Charles - thanks for the info about changes to clarity in LR5. I didn't know that... one more reason to consider the upgrade.
Allen - thanks for the link! Didn't know about this..

Sorry, more playground photos, as that's what I have at the moment...

All with M9 & 21 SEM. The first two were cropped a bit, probably closer to 28mm equivalent FOV:

Jul 26, 2013 at 04:14 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.758 #14 · p.758 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
...I find Flickr interesting. Some use it as a showcase for their very best photography, but I prefer your approach. I think I'm even less strict about what I post there, with it being more like a scrapbook where I 'dump' anything I kind of like. I guess the problem with this is after awhile the number of images amassed is quite substantial and highly unlikely for 99.9% of visitors to wade through.

Regarding this thread, my hope is someday we catch and surpass the ZE/ZF/ZM thread, even though they have about a 6 month head start. Seriously, the breadth
...Show more

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I've pared down my flickr site a few months ago to less than a hundred shots, by placing shots for my two book projects in downloadable PDF files on Dropbox, and am now starting to climb back up. I should like to keep my flickr sire at below 200-250 shots, but the problem is shots that one display here and elsewhere disappear. It would be ideal if the pictures posted here were downloaded here so that they would not disappear.

I looked at you postings on p240 and p241, and, yes, there is a feel that you're now applying less Clarity, but some of your recent (children shots) here have the same color sense and emphasis on primary colors. I like the first two posts in p241#14 and the last one in p240#19. I love the color in Charles K's two Balinese portraits, PP'd in LAB, in mode, in p240#8, and Denoir's lone duck in p241#6. Come to think of it, this thread, in all of its 750+ page glory, would be a great resource for anyone trying to decide whether to buy a new M-E.

This brings me to the M240, which you refer to above. As you may recall, I number among the skeptics on M240 color, who have been castigated by our friend Edward. This morning I had a Skype conversation with someone who referred to Thorsten Overgaard's emerging M240 review in his blog, we paged through the few pages he has on this and also looked at the first two pages of his M9 review. From even a cursory look, one can see that Overgaard was producing much better color with the M9 than he is getting with his M240. We'll see...

On my posting here, the night shots using the "ISO 640 + push post" technique was a no brainer. As you've mentioned, I've been doing mainly street photography and am trying to go into some different directions. The trouble is that I like to shoot in "projects" or "series", but have not yet come up with any concepts that excite me. One thing is that I'm now shooting with a 50mm lens in addition to the 28mm and 21mm that I have mainly been using for the last five or six years. All this means that I might not have anything that I'll be proud of for some time. But the trouble also can be that one can suddenly produce good work that one doesn't fully realize is good, and that other people don't particularly like either,

Just finished reading TJ Clark's Picasso and Truth, which essentially contains an in-depth reading of five paintings completed before and after Cubism, terminating in a discussion of Guernica. Clark concentrates on the nature of the interior space in Picasso's paintings and how it develops — and how this view of reality relates to the Zeitgeist, expressed through references to some of the writings of Nietzsche and Wittgenstein. It's an excellent short book, whose look into the issues of space in painting that Picasso wrestled with should make you look with new eyes at use of space in your photography.

Although its language is not abstruse or difficult, it's not a book that can be ready quickly because the density of ideas will make you slow down and think, which I think is a good thing. Some of the illustrations of the paintings are repeated several times in the book, so that the reader does not have constantly flip back and forth.

Incidentally, in one the endnote, Clark has a scathing criticism that, often writing on Picasso has focussed on celebrity gossip rather than real analysis — in a swipe at John Richardson's large (currently) three-tome biography.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:00 AM
seekuh
• •
p.758 #15 · p.758 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
This brings me to the M240, which you refer to above. As you may recall, I number among the skeptics on M240 color, who have been castigated by our friend Edward. This morning I had a Skype conversation with someone who referred to Thorsten Overgaard's emerging M240 review in his blog, we paged through the few pages he has on this and also looked at the first two pages of his M9 review. From even a cursory look, one can see that Overgaard was producing much better color with the M9 than he is getting with his M240. We'll
...Show more

Funny, this is exactly what I wrote Ron in an e-mail.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:24 AM
joakim
• • •
p.758 #16 · p.758 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

airfrogusmc wrote:
So I'm I the only one pumped about this documentary? The best of the best in this.

I missed your post yesterday but now that I seen the trailer I am really looking forward to see the film even if I am not much into street photography myself. I doubt this film will make it into a Swedish cinema so I'll have to look out for a download or streamed version.

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:59 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.758 #17 · p.758 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

seekuh wrote:

Since I was mentioned by Mitch in his post, I have to say that I'm still on the fence regarding the color, but I have somewhat a better more positive impression.

It looks like the lens comparison issues, some lenses have an almost mythical status, but in blind comparisons, no one is able to tell which is which. The same goes for the M240 color. I was very critical at first, but then in blind comparisons between M9 and M240 photos, I often selected the M240 files as being from the M9, and I found them more pleasing, and if there are any differences they were really minor. In other cases, I saw M9 and M240 files processed to look exactly the same and I challenge anyone to guess which is which. However, like my analogy with lenses, I still have the subjective feeling about the magic in the M9 files, even though all evidence shows they are quite similar.

Jul 26, 2013 at 08:02 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.758 #18 · p.758 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron your color one the last couple of series is amazing.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:37 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.758 #19 · p.758 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Don't send me a bill, instead buy through my B&H affiliate link

Keep up the M240 feedback! The start up would be annoying, since this also seems to be card dependent. That said, from what I've read so far, the M240 should be snappier to use compared to the M9. That extra fps probably makes a pretty big difference. And for me, at something like a wedding, would be a big improvement.

The portrait and its colors look really good for ISO 3200.

Luka - great sets! Favorite from the first set is #7 and really like the Sokrates portrait. Congrats
...Show more

You know, I don't mind doing that, if I buy from BHphoto when I'm in the states :P

More feedback on the M240, well I've tried several cards, and startup is just slower then the M9/M9P for sure. BUT something may be wrong with my camera (or battery?).... This morning when I woke up, my camera was dead, I tried to off it (since I left it on S) and when I switched it back on, it said low battery. So I took out the battery and put a new one in (camera's fine now). But the strange thing is, when I put the camera in the drycab last night, I checked it, and the battery was 80%, and there wasn't anything pushing down on the shutter button, so by all rights the camera should have turned off. And EVEN if it didn't, I don't think 8 hours of metering would drain the battery, considering I get 3 days of use out of one charge. Thoughts?

I think Luka, pending his love of kids... My wife isn't looking to give up her fun lifestyle just yet.. And frankly, I'm kinda thinking diaper bills vs Noctilux funding

BTW Congratulations Luka!

Great shots BTW, I'm working out in my head if the 18 may be a better choice then the 21, since I never use wides, and have a 28 which I wouldn't say is close to the 21 FL, but it gets the "wide jobs" done. Read Boris' take on it, and am just browsing flickr casually this month and next (since I'm working to much, the honeymoon has been postponed till Oct.)

Since you were interested in colors, I figured I'd post up a night shot.. Just a snap, while waiting for my wife to finish up her nail apt. bored @ 3200 (50/1.4) ***(I actually don't like the image, or the colors, it was just the only real shot I took the whole night).

Edited on Jul 26, 2013 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:43 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.758 #20 · p.758 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

seekuh wrote:

Yeah, but things like this take time to get right, once you're use to working a certain way..
Honestly though, I've not found myself in a situation where I could do a direct comparison. Maybe I should borrow an M9 and do some side by side shots (although I'm sure someone on here will beat me to it, as I'm pretty busy the next couple of weeks).

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:45 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password