Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              755      
       757              1078       1079       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.756 #1 · p.756 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Elisemkii, you captured that moment very well (sleeping on sofa).
Allen, I like the woman and dog photo.
leonasj, great portrait of the kid.
Michael, I like your recent landscape photos
rirakuma, great landscape photos
Phil, nice mood in your Monochrom+Nocti photos on p 753 and also earlier. Are they from some kind of park or...? The building shot with the 21 Ultron impresses. Looks like a great lens.
Charles, nice low-light photo of the three ladies. 1/15 is quite impressive
Ryan, I agree she appears to be a natural in fron of the camera. Nice set and also great colors in the set from the fishing boat.
Luka, nice to see you back. Great assorted set.
CVickery, cool shot.
Ron, great b&w set. I think the first is my favorite because of the layers.
Jonas, great perspective in that photo.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:41 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.756 #2 · p.756 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks joakim, yes Balboa Park, San Diego Ca. there is a japanese garden on the property that has wonderful subjects. If your ever in the area let me know and maybe we could hook up for a meet, lunch on me

Thanks Ryan, still trying to get used to the filters, I have red, yellow, and orange, and from my limited experience with them I prefer the orange or yellow at the moment, the red really darkens the image and creates a very dark contrast which I guess would be good for some situations. I guess I have to just go out and test them and look at the strenghs and weakness of each filter in varying conditions. Where I live in the desert area there is lots of haze and cloud activity is rare at the times I prefer to shoot, hence less dramatic skys, actually I prefer to use my ND filters over them at times, need to start stacking filters and see what comes up. BTW nice images, really love your contrast and expsoures in all your images, it adds to the mood

Phil

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.756 #3 · p.756 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for all comments.

CVickery, Nice composition and color.
Phil, another nice BW shot. How you like that VC21 f1.8?
Ron, the first BW simply beautiful.
JonasY, love the cold tone, and pop color.
Ryan, Another nice set. I see you have a honeymoon with VSCO I forget to answer that last time you spot on one of my Savannah image. I wonder how come, just realize you are from that beautiful city. I am surprised I havenít see any inside church pic from you

Here are two images from 50lux and Kauai. I want keep BW theme in this thread this time.

Jul 24, 2013 at 04:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.756 #4 · p.756 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys. I also like the first one of mine best. They graininess is a consequence of using the 'channel mixer' feature of Lightroom rather than just desaturating the image. Because the scene is primarily green and yellows, it has a fairly narrow spectrum, and when I pulled back in the green slider and boosted the yellow, I guess there's just too little file information for smooth transitions. With chroma NR enabled, the image looks really blotchy. But with chroma NR at zero, it results in a nice grainy look.

Michael, I think I like the first one better, with the stronger lines. I guess I was taking too long to write my post and didn't notice the continuation of the B&W theme. I only have color to offer at the moment.
Phil - forgot to mention I really like the image of the bamboo rod and water!
Joakim - I have a couple 3-stop NDs from Hoya. I feel they're OK and introduce a bit of a green/cyan color shift. I don't have any of the B+W or other more premium filter brands at hand, so not sure how they compare against the Hoyas.
Safe travels, Edward!
Ryan, very nice mood in those. The Summaron seems to have a nice smoothness.
Jonas - nice find.

Adam - it would be interesting to see a comparison of the 21 SEM against the ZE/ZF 21. On paper the SEM should be pretty much equal, if not better. On paper, the ZM 21/2.8 doesn't match the ZE/ZF, so interesting to read your thoughts about it.

M9 & Nikkor 10.5cm/2.5 and last with 50 Lux ASPH.

BTW, finally received the Panasonic Gold (non-pro) cards I ordered last week and have done some preliminary tests with them against the Transcend SDHC Class 10 (non-UHS-I) cards I currently use. Just as some background, the battery used was one of my older ones, at about 80% full, DNG was set to compressed and firmware is still 1.176. I did both black frame tests, lifted 5 stops in LR, as well as real world shooting, where I intentionally underexposed a bit and lifted 1-2 stops in post. So far I see little difference between the two cards. With both I can see relatively faint streaking in darker areas of 'real world' images, especially if pushed a bit in post. This is definitely the case when shooting quick bursts of more than a couple frames, where the later frames in the sequence will show more streaking/banding. This happens both with single frame advance and continuous. In the dark frame 5 stop pushes, I'm leaning very slightly in favour of the Panasonic card. Despite it still showing streaky banding, it appears more random than the Transcend card most of the time. With the Transcend sometimes the banding is like a fixed and repeated pattern of streaks. I also noticed that shooting at ISO 640 instead of 160 results in much less visible banding because the noise in the file masks most of the banding. This applies to both cards. So far I haven't been able to reproduce the really bad banding I posted samples of recently...

From these preliminary results, I think for things like weddings. I will definitely favour shooting at ISO 640 in darker situations, rather than at ISO 160 and pushing more in post because the grain of the ISO 640 images will help mask the underlying banding.

I've heard Nik's Define 2 might be effective against this banding and will give it a try and report back

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.756 #5 · p.756 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
BTW, finally received the Panasonic Gold (non-pro) cards I ordered last week and have done some preliminary tests with them against the Transcend SDHC Class 10 (non-UHS-I) cards I currently use. Just as some background, the battery used was one of my older ones, at about 80% full, DNG was set to compressed and firmware is still 1.176. I did both black frame tests, lifted 5 stops in LR, as well as real world shooting, where I intentionally underexposed a bit and lifted 1-2 stops in post. So far I see little difference between the two cards. With both I
...Show more

Ron, thanks for sharing the info. Given problems prone to happen with burst shooting, I strongly believe it is because of heating issue. The different card might have different write speed for slightly hardware difference, more time writing definitely make heating worse. the same with shooting compressed make more sense with M9.

for Leica M9 is so sensitive about SD card telling me that there must be a design flaw in their signal chain, which doesn't meet the spec requirement at extreme condition. in this case: temperature. I wonder if you notice it behave better in winter

I agree with you the first one is better and suit more BW with strong definition of geometry. will post color version later.

Another nice set, I always like your 'green' shot.

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:46 PM
joakim
• • •
p.756 #6 · p.756 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, I like the first one.
Ron, nice set where the second one is my favorite. Thanks for the info on Hoya, I might try one.

Here is a set of daytime landscape photos with the 28 Summicron, quite a different lens from my 24/3.8 Elmar so even though they are close in focal length I'm glad I bought the Summicron as well.

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:51 PM
joakim
• • •
p.756 #7 · p.756 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hmm, looks like it's time to clean the sensor again.

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:52 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.756 #8 · p.756 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys

Michael, I too prefer #1, like the lines in the image

Ron, nice greens. The sonnar definitely renders that scene great. Like #2 best. In your card test, did you notice any difference in speed?

Joakim, noticed you posted at the same time. I really like #2 and #4, but the angle you got #4 at is perfect. I love the way the 28 Cron renders.....possibly my favorite of all

Michael, I will continue your B/W

Nikon 50 f/2 Sonnar

Canon 100 f/2

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.756 #9 · p.756 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Hmm, looks like it's time to clean the sensor again.

Last two in your last set are incredible...

Jul 24, 2013 at 09:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.756 #10 · p.756 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joakim - like all of them, but #2 & 4 stands out for me. I agree the 28 Cron is pretty special.
Ryan - #3 for me. The Canon looks great. I had a chance to try Cal's recently and from the few shots I did with it, was impressed. Too bad the build quality isn't a bit better, like the Nikkors or ZMs.

Between the two cards - Transcend 16GB Class 10 non-UHS and the Panasonic 32GB Gold non-pro - the Transcend is consistently about 10% faster. Single DNG compressed frames seem to clear in the low 3 second range, while the Panasonic is around 3.5. Both will do 8 continuous compressed frames in a burst before hitting the buffer (these speed comparisons were all at ISO 160). The Transcend clears fully at about 20 seconds after the first frame was fired, the Panasonic at about 22.5 seconds.

Michael, not sure if it's heat. My gut feeling is it's some sort of RF/electrical interference. Maybe a power management issue, since that's what the latest FW seems to address. The next thing to try is the current firmware, but with some work coming up, will wait about a week before I try that, just in case I accidentally brick the camera.

So far I've played a bit with Nik Dfine 2. Its auto image analysis seems to be slightly better against the streaky banding, but not hugely better than LR...

M9 & Nikkor 10.5cm/2.5 LTM and again, last one with 50 Lux ASPH.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.756 #11 · p.756 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments guys! Wow more B and W images than I am used to seeing

Michael still getting used to the CV 21, a 21 viewfinder is def. my next purchase, I thought I could get away with it, but finding I get way more in my image than I really wanted to get, but it's def. a keeper lens for sure, also for the price point and one of my less used focal lengths it fits me well, I prefer the 50mm of the Nocti or 35mm. BTW beautiful first image! love the tones on this one, very balanced through out

Ron beautiful greenery, may I ask what processing you use, to get that vibrant green natural look? I can never get my images to pop like yours. That last shot on your second set rocks!

joakim 1st and last image for me, I'm jealous of your clouds , I bet that last shot would be awesome in B and W!

Ryan love that last shot! I'm a sucker for bokeh the vertical bokeh lines compliments the water very well here for me

Phil

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:14 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.756 #12 · p.756 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Phil - greens can be tricky and are something I am not always happy with either. My processing is all in LR4. For cool, clean green foliage, I find it helps to keep the WB a bit cooler than normal, and also pay close attention to the tint value. Especially with auto white balance, cameras have a tendency to really ramp up the magenta tint component in forest scenes, or anything with a lot of green. It's why you end up with purple tree trunks sometimes. Pulling that and the WB K value down somewhat, adjusting the yellow and green hue values and sometimes pulling back on yellow and green saturation tends to eventually find a reasonable look. The more red/magenta in something green, the more olive to brown it shifts.

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:33 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.756 #13 · p.756 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Awesome Ron Thanks! Going to try that method next time I shoot in color, again thanks for the tips and again wonderful greens!

Phil

Mono again w/Nocti w/ND .9

M Monochrom    Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH. lens    50mm    1/4000s    320 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Jul 25, 2013 at 01:51 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.756 #14 · p.756 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Phil - looks like it was a productive location. And glad I could help!

Back to color:

M9 & 28 Cron for first, 21 SEM for last three.

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:31 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.756 #15 · p.756 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Ron, thanks for sharing the info. Given problems prone to happen with burst shooting, I strongly believe it is because of heating issue. The different card might have different write speed for slightly hardware difference, more time writing definitely make heating worse. the same with shooting compressed make more sense with M9.

for Leica M9 is so sensitive about SD card telling me that there must be a design flaw in their signal chain, which doesn't meet the spec requirement at extreme condition. in this case: temperature. I wonder if you notice it behave better in winter

I agree with
...Show more

Ron, I was going to ask you if it's better in winter as well.
Honestly though, I live in 32degree (89.6 for the Americans) weather all year round. And I've never had issues like what you're posting online. I've always used sandisc extreme I think they're a mix of 45mbps to 60mbps. I've also used sandisc ultra cards that are 15mbps to 30mbps, they've also worked fine.

Maybe the camera needs a trip to Germany, good excuse to buy an M240!

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:48 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.756 #16 · p.756 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, your first set I like the last image best. Second set, the second one and last one. And the third set, makes me wanna buy the 21 SEM.

Yeah, still obviously in love with those ZE lenses.. For walk around/travel they were my favorite. Actually had the whole set, liked all of them, loved the three I mentioned though.
The M camera now being my walk around / travel camera, I'm still trying to figure out what I love (lens wise).. I know the 50lux is definitely one of them, and the 28cron is still a maybe (seems less good on the M240 for some odd reason). The other lenses I seem to have a hard time holding onto..

Phil love how the bonsai just pops from the background. Which version of the noctilux do you have again?

Ryan, in the Canon 100, the bokeh seems rectangular?! Kinda neat.

Anyway, I'm getting annoyed with the M240. It's causing me to miss shots.. From dead startup and also from sleep mode, it literly takes 5 proper seconds before the camera is ready to shoot. Honestly think it's slower then the M9P.
That and still having problems reviewing images (but that'll stop in a week or two, once I get back into the habit of using the M style meter, and I start trusting my manual settings instincts again).

Jul 25, 2013 at 04:55 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.756 #17 · p.756 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Adam, it's the 0.95, love it, the best glass I have ever owned period

Phil

Jul 25, 2013 at 05:00 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.756 #18 · p.756 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Adam. I should try to find another M9 to compare mine against. The streaky banding really only is visible if files are pushed a couple stops or more, at least most of the time. For most normal situations it's unnoticeable. It just really freaked me out last week with the blatantly bad banding I posted... Problem with the M240 is finding one. Too impatient to wait, too lazy to actually look for one. Saves me $7000 too. While I think it will be a pretty big improvement in usability over the M9, the little quirks you're reporting, and other things I read, are taking some of the shine off it. Seems to be somewhat more compromised than I'd like, but then, I should actually try one.

Interesting your thoughts about the 28 Cron on the M240... some of the images I've seen from that combo have a lot less vignetting than I'm used to seeing from that lens on the M9, which is part of its character. or at least the character I'm used to seeing from it.

More M9 & 21 SEM:

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:48 AM
joakim
• • •
p.756 #19 · p.756 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments Ryan, Allen, Ron and Phil! Good clouds or any clouds for that matter has been hard to find around here lately so yesterday afternoon when I had some fine clouds I decided to go out and shoot even if the light wasn't perfect. That turned out to be a good choice because later in the evening they were gone again.

Ryan, the Canon 100/2 looks like a fun lens to use.
Ron, thanks for the info on handling greens. Great photos of the kid, I like #3 in the first set and also the first one in the last set because the excellent use of the wide angle lens.
Phil, another beautiful photo from the Japanese garden.

Michael, I missed to answer your question: it's the latest version of the 35 Summilux I have.

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.756 #20 · p.756 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Safe travels, Edward!

Thank you Ron. Very nice sets above. The leaves color and tonality is amazing, and the last portrait set has a beautiful punchy rendering. It's very frustrating not to be able to post photos, let alone comment on the wonderful images in this thread. I have no way to convert my raw files during my trip, (and so far I have nothing really interesting), and commenting on the images on the iPad is very time consuming, so I will postpone both until I'm back to Bangkok

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password