Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              753      
       755              1007       1008       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.754 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, thank you for the kind words Very nice shots, particularly #1.
Phil, wonderful B&W shots!!! Great PP'ing with the tonality of the images.

Shot from Bangkok, virtually no light, ISO 2000 pushed +1 in Lr5, M9P 50 Lux f/1.4, 1/15sec. The was converted to TIFF first with the noise reduction Dfine 2, and then downsized. This seems to avoid the present issues with Lr5 in downsizing Jpegs with high noise content.

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:33 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.754 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
Adam, it's the model that was discontinued when the 21 SEM came out. I don't know what the used price is but, to me, it's a very desirable lens.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Hmmm.. Wonder how it stacks up to the 21 2.8 ZM, another lens I really like.

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.754 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Adam, I don't know, bot Ron may know something about this.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:42 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.754 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments all!

rirakuma, beautiful shots....particularly #2. Color looks great

Phil, nice examples of the Nocti. No, you don't need to take the Nokton for a spin when you have that combo available. Love the rendering, that lens was made for the MM

Michael, too bad you were there for a week and only had a few hours to yourself. Those two shots are both excellent

Charles, wow....great example at ISO 2000. Though, I would personally prefer a little more noise and less noise reduction as it looks a little plasticy if you ask me. But I can't imagine how dark it must have been to use ISO 2000, f/1.4 and 1/15 sec, pretty impressive

35 Summaron f/2.8....this may be one of my favorite lenses I have used on the Leica, character is very unique

funny, this girl is just a natural poser , you just say 'can i take a picture' and she goes straight into posing

50 Nokton II

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.754 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^rsolti, very nice pics. I've mentioned this before but I have doubts the M can render like that. I haven't had the chance to go and do a proper portrait shoot but from the casual ones I've taken the colors are fairly "dull" or perhaps "reserved" compared to the poppy ones I usually see from the M9.

Lots of nice pics as usual, particularly like Phils mono shots. I wish I could justify a monochrom .

Zhangyue, what did you find surprising about the color comment with the D800? I would occasionally get odd colors coming from the D800 which are very hard to fix, this was one of the biggest reason why I decided to invest in a Leica. I do hope that Leica will bring out a new firmware or color profile so that the ones from the new M will be closer to the ones from the M9.

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.754 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I can't keep up. Some truly inspiring images the past few pages.

Phil your B&Ws rock..(sorry couldn't resist) but seriously really good stuff and no I was drinking coffee in a Starbucks and she was just outside. I shot through the sunscreen and the window.

rirakuma great color, beautiful landscapes.

zhangyue I really like the last two you posted and no it wasn't a reflection. I was sitting drinking coffee inside the Starbucks. I saw the triangular composition and I shot.

Gorgeous women Charles.

rsolti13 love the last one splashing in the puddle.

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:04 PM
wstam

p.754 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yes, this thread is moving really fast. Thanks for all the great photos.

Was going through some of the photos taken during a short trip to China Hainan island in March. Taken with M9 before it was sold.

Thanks!

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:34 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.754 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, I really like the street shot. Like Mitch says, the colors are wonderful here.

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:38 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.754 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
Adam, I don't know, bot Ron may know something about this.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

I can only go by what I've read in reviews of the 21/2.8 ASPH, but have used the ZM extensively. My understanding is the ZM is a technical match for the Leica, if perhaps with a slight edge in MTF values. I've read a number of recommendations for the ZM over the Leica citing this reason, and its much lower price. Might be similar to the ZM50/2 vs. 50 Cron debate. But I suspect from the Leica you're going to see color quality and rendering characteristics that are more in-line with the Leica family, vs. the contrast/micro contrast typical from Zeiss. Another difference may be how each lens performs on the M cameras relative to edge color shifts. The ZM definitely does have this problem with the M9, but is much better now with the more recent firmware versions as of June 2011.

Mitch: regarding your question about electric blues - yes, I definitely find this to be the case with the M9 at times and will selectively control blue saturation, or do spot saturation control. At higher ISOs I sometimes find the M9's colors look a bit 'painted-on' with sometimes unnatural looking transitions. Might be a consequence of treatment in post. As for the starbursts... usually you don't get them when shooting wide open. Interesting that you do with the 21 ASPH...

Jul 23, 2013 at 02:56 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.754 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
Zhangyue, what did you find surprising about the color comment with the D800? I would occasionally get odd colors coming from the D800 which are very hard to fix, this was one of the biggest reason why I decided to invest in a Leica. I do hope that Leica will bring out a new firmware or color profile so that the ones from the new M will be closer to the ones from the M9.

Cause I remember some shots from Zeiss thread with D800 from you, nothing short of brilliant I am with you about M9 and M color at least before More people get better profile or more familiar with M240. but general speaking. the color thing is not as easy as thought I would say.

Since I am kind of struggling with 6D's color, this topic only get my attention very recent, until recent I realize for landscape, certain type of shots, M9 has a edge on color and sharpness to both D700 and 6D I am having. However, I was RE-checking D800 thread, even at web size, from experienced shooters, I still can see IQ advantage. Great color depth, DR etc.. a monster IQ in right hand.

Thanks for all comments and like.

Adam, I echo Ron's opinion of 21zm. A great lens. I prefer my landscape shots from it than 50lux ASPH,(IQ, not focal length) resolving power is one of best make me curious of 25zm.

Charles, Impressive low light shot.

Ryan, another nice set. My daughter will give me her back if she saw me trying to take her pic

wstam, nice set, remind me of china.

add one more 50lux

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TAGfan
• • •
p.754 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ill be heading to Ireland in two weeks and I am really excited to take some landscapes, but this will have to suffice for now.

M9 + 35 Biogon 2.0

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:35 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.754 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great shots guys I have not been doing much photography lately, but I've had my M9 with me on occasion and gotten off a shot or two. Assorted stuff:

Nice (France):

Cannes (France):

Cannes (France):

Monte Carlo:

Firenze (Italy):

Firenze (Italy):

Nice (France):

Nice (France):

Nice (France):

Jul 23, 2013 at 04:55 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.754 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^^All great, second and last shot are my favorite.

Thanks guys for all the comments.. I've used the 21ZM both versions (slow and fast), but I've not used the 21 that Mitch has.. Hence asking.. I guess I'd probably just pick up the one I can get at the best price (probably ZM then).. Unless there's a clear advantage to getting say the 21SEM or 18SEM.. Which I'm eyeing.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:03 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.754 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
^rsolti, very nice pics. I've mentioned this before but I have doubts the M can render like that. I haven't had the chance to go and do a proper portrait shoot but from the casual ones I've taken the colors are fairly "dull" or perhaps "reserved" compared to the poppy ones I usually see from the M9.

Lots of nice pics as usual, particularly like Phils mono shots. I wish I could justify a monochrom .

Zhangyue, what did you find surprising about the color comment with the D800? I would occasionally get odd colors coming from the D800 which are
...Show more

I'm really not sure, I think it depends on a lot of factors. I haven't used the M enough to really say, but I'm thinking it's a matter of getting use to the camera, more then the CCD vs CMOS debate. I mean, I loved the skin tones from my H3DII-39, but to get those popping colors, you REALLY need to work at it.

Maybe testing a S-system in a few weeks for a week, will let everyone know how that works out.

In the meantime I'll try to take more M photos.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.754 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka, love these, especially #2 and second to last!

Adam, @f/5.6 and slower, you're not going to see much, if any difference between the 21 SEM and ZM21/2.8. The 21 SEM wide open is a better lens - much flatter plane of focus and already extremely sharp across the frame. The ZM21/2.8 has some field curvature and as a result, wide open sharpness is best in the central area with flat planes (walls, etc.). IMO, the benefit of the SEM is you don't have to think about what aperture you're shooting at. It's just sharp. Always. Therefore, for technically demanding applications, it's an excellent lens. 6-bit coding is also nice to have. With the ZM I found the hand coding sometimes wouldn't read due to strong, direct sunlight hitting the lens/camera mount interface in that area. And the ZM really does need to be coded to take advantage of edge color shift corrections (coded as the 21/2.8 non-ASPH), or you'll have to fix it later with Cornerfix, etc. You can probably get better coding reliability by having the flange engraved.

My 4-way 21mm M-mount shootout includes the ZM and SEM. Best bang for the buck is the Voigtlander 21/1.8, blending the speed of the Lux with stopped down performance of the ZM and SEM, though with lower contrast/micro contrast. Tradeoff is it's a fairly large lens.

I've read that with the M240, many wide lenses are performing even better into the corners (for sharpness), therefore my results might not be exactly what you'll get with the M. It would be interesting to see some technical comparisons of a lens like the 21 SEM on both cameras...

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:18 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.754 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka, very inspiring post. 1,2,3 are my favorite. with #2 is my top pick from the set. wish to see more from you.

Jul 23, 2013 at 05:51 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.754 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

denoir I really like #3 and next to the last but all are good.

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:23 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.754 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles awesome portrait, very nice, esp the middle lady

Ryan very nice, love the last one!

Denoir very nice, last one for me!

Phil

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.754 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

denoir lives!

Seriously, missed your pics. Seems you travel a lot. My fav is that first from Firenze..

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.754 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Stunning images denoir! The last 3 are my favs

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell