Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              751      
       753              942       943       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.752 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments

Very nice peter really loving that 3rd shot in the first series great warmth!

Allen I gotta go out with you one of these days, so I can learn street photog, I have always wanted to get serious with it. First one is a classic

Phil

Mono with elmar 90 4f at 16f 1000 iso (I think, I had 3 lens that day)

M Monochrom    1/3000s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Edited on Jul 21, 2013 at 06:28 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2013 at 06:22 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.752 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Ron and Phil...

Phil, anytime... I try and get out as often as possible.
And that photo is a real beauty. Love the way you held the detail in the highlights. Perfect vignette and great detail in the darker background. The light subject against the dark B/G really pops.

Edited on Jul 21, 2013 at 06:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2013 at 06:26 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.752 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Allen

Stay safe Ron

Phil

Jul 21, 2013 at 06:28 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.752 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

rirakuma, thanks, yes I am out quite often! My dog, a sib. Husky, is a very demanding trainings partner. He always want's action, and when he get's it, he is the calmest dog one can imagine.

Ron, thanks, I am totally surprised how well the WB and colors are out of cam. Very seldom I adjust WB and never ad color so far. My tripod is the Gitzo GT 2541 along with the RRS BH40 and I replaced the bottom plate of my M9P with the L-Plate from RRS. I am very happy with this setup! Hopefully you get back electricity quickly!

Phil, thanks! airfrogusmc made a perfect comment and I second that!

airfrogusmc, excellent set, like particular the framing and pics 2,4 and 5!

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.752 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks....

Jul 21, 2013 at 07:27 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.752 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

I had a vision for a shot while eating lunch yesterday. I love to shoot this Pottery Barn light anyway, it has such character. Fact is, I had to figure out which lens was right. It turned out to be 35mm 1.4 Lux, shot at 1.4

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:00 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.752 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for looking

Phil

Mono w/nocti

M Monochrom    Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH. lens    50mm    1/750s    640 ISO    -1.7 EV  

Jul 21, 2013 at 08:57 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.752 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Love the tone on that one Phil BEAUTIFUL...

I don't know about you but well over 12K frames through my MM and I love it more every time I shoot with it.

The last time I felt this way about a piece of equipment is when I bought my 500 C/Ms in the mid 1980s.

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.752 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Allen I agree bottom line, my MM is the best camera I have ever owned, love it because it causes me to think differently than with color

iMO it much more difficult because the color equation is gone, in terms of red, oranges, etc varying gray tones are used in place of color and that makes it more challenging ESP for me because I was primarily a all color wilderness bird shooter a couple years ago, where colors add big impact to it

I have a few cameras that still shoot in color and I always convert to B and W

Below are NON-LEICA samples I took that I believe needed color to add greater impact to them IMO of course

Canon EOS 7D

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.752 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Phil, some real beautiful shots lately, really like the portrait above. I would click 'Like' on your duck above....BUT....you know

Peter, the landscapes on the prior page are just stunning. My favorites are #2 and #3. What beautiful scenery you have. How close is that to you? You must go when its new moon, would love to see the stars above

Michael, what a great location you look to be at. Great colors! The 2nd to last with the 35 Cron is definitely my favorite

Mitch, another great set. These files look real clean! The processing has definitely improved just over the past 10 pages or so

Allen, great street shots. Really like the one with the guy and the two dogs. I would love to have the ability to do some great street shooting

Just one from me tonight.....can't decide what to drink. Maybe its time for.....a Scotch-off!!!! Dun dun dun

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.752 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ryan how about if I convert to B and W and say it's leica like?

You should be celebrating the Tour de France is finished!!! My boy Cav lost the final stage I think the flat tire earlier sapped the energy out of him during the final sprint, but we will never know if that's true

Phil

Jul 22, 2013 at 01:03 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.752 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

jojomon11/zhangyue/Ron, thanks for the comments.

jojomon11: your p.752 #7 is great, particularly considering that I don't like most of the Noctilux pictures that I see (often gratuitous bokeh).

rsolti13 wrote:
...Mitch, another great set. These files look real clean! The processing has definitely improved just over the past 10 pages or so...

Thanks. Here's a partial technical validation of the technique I'm working on from Michael Hussman (mjh), who writes technical articles for LFI and resides on LUF, where he gives very good explanations of the technology, "From a certain ISO level upwards, amplification is actually harmful. For that reason, Fuji stopped increasing gain above ISO 1600 in the X100, for example. The M9 isn’t fundamentally different from other cameras in this respect."

Questions for people trying out "ISO 640 + push in post" technique. (Is anyone doing that?)

Electric blues: Dark blue colored objects lit by fluorescent light become very intense electric blues when the image is pushed. (I also think this happens when exposed at high ISO in-camera as well.) In No. 16 below I decreased the intensity of the sign and the blue plastic objects but kept them as intense as they looked in the actual scene. In No. 17, I essentially neutralized the blue plastic baskets to the upper right of the young woman's head because the color was so intense that your eyes were drawn to it. Does any else find this problem and how do you deal with it?

Starbursts: With the Summicron-28 and the Elamaritp-21 ASPH, small intense lights, such as halogen automobile headlights in the background or halogen street lights become startbursts. In No. 18, I used the LR5 new Radial Filter tool to dodge the bright to the level of intensive before pushing. This helped to make the startbursts less distracting, but they are still there. What other ways are there to get rid of starbursts while keeping the lights?

No. 16 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.8 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Pak Nam Pran

No. 17 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Pak Nam Pran

No. 18 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.95 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Pak Nam Pran

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:48 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.752 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Love the last 2 Mitch

Thanks

Phil

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:54 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.752 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Allen, wow, great sets and I really love #4 above (guy on board with two dogs)!
Peter, love the colors and mood! Wondering what tripod you bring on your hikes?
Adam, great rendering from the 75. Reminds me of the 50 Lux ASPH. Very complementary to the beautiful subject.
Michael, looks like a great visit.
Mitch, I think my fav is #15. Like the layering of the three men on the left and how the vendor's head is blocked by the light. Colors again are great.
rirakuma, the misty ocean scene is intriguing. What's your feeling now about the M240 vs. the D800, having
...Show more

Hi Ron,
First set of photos was with the 75cron, the girl was shot with the 50lux.
I hope that your power comes back on soon. I remember this happening a lot in Niagara falls where I use to go to high school. The problem was, it use to happen in the winter with frozen trees falling on power lines (no power to the heater), so we'd freeze, until we installed a wood burning stove. So I feel your pain.

Jul 22, 2013 at 03:40 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.752 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Jonas, very dreamy portrait.
Adam, love that portrait! Wonderful color palette of the pink against the blue
Mitch, great work with the low light work! The colors have a great feel to them, as if you there at that time of night. Personally I don't like fluoro lighting, but this is feel of the night in a lot of areas.
Allen, amazing street shots!
rirakuma, #4 is my favorite!!
Peter, amazing mountainscapes! #1 is my definite favorite here
Phil, very nice portrait moment! Love the shot with the Nocti. You are right, sometimes you lose perspective on color!
Mitch, again very nice! The PP'ing is looking better.
Ryan, nice!! Have a great evening whiskey tasting

Ron, keep warm and safe

Shot from Bangkok streets. M9P 50 Nocti f/1.0 ISO 640 pushed 1.5 stops. Another from Tainan M9P 50 Nocti f/1.0 PP'ing in Lr5 then PS6 Lab space.

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.752 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
...The colors have a great feel to them, as if you there at that time of night. Personally I don't like fluoro lighting, but this is feel of the night in a lot of areas...

Thanks, Charles. The amazing thing is that in shopping malls fluorescent lights produce awfully dull and greenish colors, but somehow in the dark night, the colors can be beautiful.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Edited on Jul 22, 2013 at 02:27 PM · View previous versions

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.752 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Mitch, nice set. In regards to starbursts....I love them, keep them in if you ask me

Charles, great use of the Nocti! Interesting vehicle #1. Do you use the MM much? I would think the MM plus Nocti would be a killer night shooter

My RL kid shoot .....Voigt 50 Nokton II

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.752 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks All!

Charles thanks for the samples with pushed iso, really preffering the 2nd shot using the Lr5 then PS6 Lab space.

Ryan very nice shots of your daughter and son, but I am preffering the one with a hint of vsco with your daughter, and the last one

Phil

Jul 22, 2013 at 02:13 PM
joakim
• • •
p.752 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Adam, very nice portrait.
Allen, great street photos. Man going down to subway station(?) and skateboard and dogs are my favorites
Peter, great colors
Phil, girl in white dress is excellent and I like the next one too
Charles, I like the taxi and also what you did with the colors in the portrait.
Ryan, great photos of your son and daughter. I like what you done in post with the photos.

I continue with my b&w conversions, this time it's flowers. 90 Elmarit and 50 Summilux.

Jul 22, 2013 at 04:14 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.752 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Charles, I like the dark portrait of the man from Tainan. Glad to see you posting.

Ryan I like the second shot the best, the Nokton is better then I'd imagine at certain distances!

joakim - The second shot for me.

Mitch - The second shot I like... It's frustrating that I can't see the girls happy expression, which is what I think makes the photo good.

Phil - The black and white shot of the fountain is so lively... I love the way you captured the ripples.

Jul 22, 2013 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password