Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              750      
       752              1005       1006       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

JonasY
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.751 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Leica X1 again. I love the dials on the top that makes it so easy to switch to manual mode when necessary, this shot would likely not have been possible even with a "pro" Canikon as it takes too long time to enter M mode and set the shutter speed. (Yeah I know I need to get myself a girlfriend to shoot ...)

As always, too many good pictures to comment them all.
rscheffler, fantastic landscapes!
adamdewilde, like your style!
rsolti13, love your set of the girl in the pound .. can't decide if #2 or #3 is the favorite (I'd recommend to only post one picture of the same subject, that makes it stands out much more.. being selective is the key to become a good photographer)
zhangyue, you know how to get amazing colors out of your Leica
joakim, very Swedish environments

Jul 19, 2013 at 08:48 PM
rirakuma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.751 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

For those interested I have some pics to compare the D800 and M240 colors and how the files behave in post. The samples are attached and the raws are in the links as posted below.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Nikon NEF Files

Leica DNG Files

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.751 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Does anyone know if adding a colored filter and ND filter at the same time is a good idea for the MM?

Thanks Phil

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.751 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I would think that, apart from the issues of adding any another reflective surface — the issue of any filter — which in certain conditions can create some flare, there should not be any problem as long as the two stacked filters don't create some vignetting with wide-angle lenses. I don't know whether you would need "slim-line" filters.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:04 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.751 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Mitch, I will try it out and test it before more serious shooting in bright day light conditions

Phil

Jul 20, 2013 at 01:27 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.751 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Here is (probably) the final batch of night street pictures taken in a small street (Chula Soi 5) where there is a strip of some twenty restaurants, mostly not air conditioned, of a type that is beginning to disappear in Bangkok. Started by a Chinese immigrant, mostly Teochew (Chaozhou in Mandarin, Chiuchow in Cantonese) and his Thai wife, these restaurants created a new, unique and excellent cuisine. This area is owned by Chulalongkorn University, which is now taking back the land for redevelopment. Next week all the restaurants have to close down. Some are moving to other parts of town; other ones are moving to side streets. Twenty years ago there were very many restaurants of this type all over Bangkok, but many have closed down or have become modern, fancy places — much more expensive and with the food not as good as before. Incidentally, some fifteen years ago I went to a Chiuchow restaurant in San Fransisco and spoke in Thai when I found that the family owners were immigrants from Bangkok — they refused to let me pay for the meal.

As mentioned earlier the point of this series of postings is to show that the poor low-ISO reputation that the M9 suffers from is essentially a myth; and that, by shooting at ISO 640 and "pushing" in post the image quality (lower noise) and the colors are so good that the M9, contrary to common wisdom, is a good camera for night photography. I started an LUF thread on this technique that created a good deal of enthusiasm and wonder whether I should create a thread on this on this forum and perhaps on RFF as well? After reading the thread a few people that used the M9 only for day shots decided to also use it for night shots instead of, say, the 5D3.

No. 11 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 12 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.35 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 13 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

No. 14 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.65 stops | f/4.0 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 15 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.0 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]

Edited on Jul 20, 2013 at 04:46 AM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:54 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.751 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
I would think that, apart from the issues of adding any another reflective surface — the issue of any filter — which in certain conditions can create some flare, there should not be any problem as long as the two stacked filters don't create some vignetting with wide-angle lenses. I don't know whether you would need "slim-line" filters.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]

You can probably stack 2-3 if really needed.. I've seen a test where a guy stacks around 5-7 before the quality is severely lessened. But again, depends on the shooting conditions.
In the test, he stacked filters from all brands, the B+W filters did the best for stacking AFAICR..

Jul 20, 2013 at 03:18 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.751 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Thanks for comments and likes!

Ron, more great photos from the French River. Looks like a good place to relax.
Allen, beautiful portrait.
rirakuma, love the last one. What lens did you use?
Anh, the 35 Biogon looks good to me.
Adam, interesting henna photos. Do you find the 75 cron easy to work with for shots like that?
Ryan, I like the photos with your daughter in the rain and the Hooters photos are, hrm, "interesting" Funny you're mentioning the Monochrom because to me it's starting to look more interesting than the new M.
Phil, nice feel to that b&w
Michael, #1 and #3 are beautiful.

With the M10 at close distances, I can focus the 75cron way better then I could focus the 90cron on the M9p at close distances.. But where I find the M10 shines is, I can get half body shots with the 75cron in focus as well.. Vs. with the 90/M9p where I was having trouble (however, the 90 is by right a harder lens to focus).

A shot of a friend while helping her to film a commercial for her beauty products:
(notice that when I convert from a tiff to a jpg, I lose a rosy look, and gain a yellowed look, *tisk)

M240 + 50 Summilux @ 1.4 or 2

Jul 20, 2013 at 03:21 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.751 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma - I like picture #3!

Jul 20, 2013 at 03:47 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.751 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
You can probably stack 2-3 if really needed.. I've seen a test where a guy stacks around 5-7 before the quality is severely lessened. But again, depends on the shooting conditions.
In the test, he stacked filters from all brands, the B+W filters did the best for stacking AFAICR..

I did a few test shots from backyard with sun behind me with MM at 5.6 iso 320 w/CV 21 1.8 Ultron and got major vig, when I shot wide open or close to it, I got less vig. pretty surprised with the findings, I thought it would be the opposite, I used a orange filer only nothing else, gonna do some architectural shots tomm with better lighting so hopefully no issues with it Thanks

Jul 20, 2013 at 04:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • •
p.751 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
I did a few test shots from backyard with sun behind me with MM at 5.6 iso 320 w/CV 21 1.8 Ultron and got major vig, when I shot wide open or close to it, I got less vig. pretty surprised with the findings, I thought it would be the opposite, I used a orange filer only nothing else, gonna do some architectural shots tomm with better lighting so hopefully no issues with it Thanks

Yeah, vignetting is going to happen. That goes without saying. But overall loss of quality should be somewhat minimal in most lighting conditions if you stack say two filters.

Jul 20, 2013 at 06:36 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.751 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jul 20, 2013 at 04:55 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.751 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for all the comments and like. Appreciate!

Joakim, Very nice BW. I especially love the #1.
Jonas, Such a nice portrait! Look forward to see your girlfriend's portrait
Mitch, another nice street set. and like the back-end story.
Allen, Great! #1, #2 are my favorite of the set.

More from Kauai
50lux

35cronV1

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:45 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.751 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice Allen 5th one for me

zhangyue those landscapes are splendid!

Phil

Mono w/Nocti

Edited on Jul 21, 2013 at 03:53 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2013 at 05:45 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.751 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Same tour as last weekend but with better light, it was almost full moon, therefore not so many stars.

Captured with M9P

some posing ;-)

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.751 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

two more....

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.751 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Quick M240 question..

I've noticed when shooting with Auto-Iso (was testing out the camera's ability to do auto anything), what happens is, It actually gets stuck on one iso (1600 in my case) and no matter how bright or dark, it just sticks with 1600..

Weird, or is this a known issue?

Jul 21, 2013 at 02:43 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.751 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, love the first and third shot!
Phil, great as always. Your monochrom shots and processing is superb.
Peter, very nice pics. You must hike a lot! I envy you

Jul 21, 2013 at 03:50 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.751 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Good work one and all.

Jul 21, 2013 at 04:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.751 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen, wow, great sets and I really love #4 above (guy on board with two dogs)!
Peter, love the colors and mood! Wondering what tripod you bring on your hikes?
Adam, great rendering from the 75. Reminds me of the 50 Lux ASPH. Very complementary to the beautiful subject.
Michael, looks like a great visit.
Mitch, I think my fav is #15. Like the layering of the three men on the left and how the vendor's head is blocked by the light. Colors again are great.
rirakuma, the misty ocean scene is intriguing. What's your feeling now about the M240 vs. the D800, having had more time to use the M240...?
Jonas - excellent mood!
Phil, looks good. More clearly defined vignetting is normal as you stop down more.
Joakim - love your B&W treatment again, and find the scenes intriguing, particularly the first and third. For some reason it reminds me of vintage photos of Russian/Soviet Dacha & forest scenes...

Sorry, no photos to post at the moment. Have been without power the last 42 hours after a windy storm blew over some trees in the neighborhood and our utility company has been dragging its feet getting the power back on. At least we have running water and it just means eating whatever's in the fridge and cooking on the BBQ... It's really more an inconvenience and thankfully with the storm came more tolerable temperatures. Couldn't imagine enduring ~33 C and the stifling humidity we had earlier in the week, but without ventilation. At the library now using their wifi and AC.

Jul 21, 2013 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password