Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              749      
       751              1081       1082       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.750 #1 · p.750 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some recent pics with the M. I also have some comparison shots with the D800 but its taking a long time uploading all the raw files. I will be happy to share them here when its done.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:23 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.750 #2 · p.750 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adam/rirakuma/muc_malin/rsolti13/Charles K., thanks for the kind words.

rscheffler wrote:
...Mitch - the first one is very intriguing, especially the very few visual clues in the specular highlights off the car in the foreground. But I find it difficult for my eye to settle on anything. For this reason #2 and the last one are somewhat more 'comfortable.' On the technical side, I really like the color palette in these. By all means, if f/2.8 is workable, then it will save you $7000. The shallow depth of field look works for some things, but I agree that for street work, stopped down a bit will tell more about an overall
...Show more

Ron, on No. 1 above (page 749), an (online) friend in Seattle, who is a great color photographer, wrote me, I feel that you need to maybe settle down a bit and plant yourself somewhere (or two) and really work through a subject vs the wandering in search of a vague theme. Push your comfort barrier by NOT trying to be invisible (which the constant need to move is a by product of I believe). Also, the best piece of advice I ever read was by Larry Clark, who said his teacher told him to "shoot into the light" - i.e. literally but also figuratively, do the wrong thing vs the "rules". In this sense I feel that No. 1 is a sort of breakthrough for me that I may be able to use as a point of departure for a series of photographs, although I will have to work through how to see in the way I did when shooting that picture. I could go at great length on this, but it's best to leave here for now. I like No. 2 in terms of the relation to the young woman in the center to the background (she turned out to be a fashion model), and like No. 3 for the same reason in terms of the woman eating at the table on the lower left with the light coming from the restaurant in the background, which bears some conceptual relationship in this respect to No. 1.

On the high-ISO technique of shooting the M9 at ISO 640 and pushing in post, on the basis of my experience with the night shots that I've posted in the last 10 or so pages of this thread, I feel that there is a need to revise the facile characterization of the M9 as having "poor high ISO performance, a sentiment that has been echoed in the last few pages here. From the color rendition of the M9 when shot at ISO 640 and pushed in post, to seems to me that the M9 does more than "hold its own" after four years. While I'm still an agnostic as far the color rendition of the M240 in concerned, and not inclined to spill either ink or blood on this question, I am still skeptical whether (after a firmware upgrade and an improved Lightroom profile) it will be able to produce the type of color rendition that I like in the M9: my feeling is that, at best, it may come close after a great deal of processing effort. It may turn out that my skepticism will be proved wrong, but I must say that the color rendition that I see coming out of M240 — even in cases where photographers have posted examples of "good color rendition" — does not, for my taste, match that of the M9. As a reassessment of the M9's high-ISO performance may be of interest or importance to some photographers, I have started a LUF on this subject at this link.

On your canoe pictures, I prefer the ones with the 28mm lens to the ones with the 21mm, which pushes the tree line too far back for my taste.

No. 6 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

No. 7 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.2 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 8 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.6 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

No. 9 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.45 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 10 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.85 stops | f/4.0 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:29 AM
ocean2059
• • •
p.750 #3 · p.750 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

redisburning wrote:
this is an extremely effective image.

and that's why we have insurance, isn't it? so we can actually use our toys

I was in a similar canoe last summer with my daughter. I had my Ricoh GXR and an 28mm lens module with me. Ten minutes after the image was taken, My daughter decided to stood up in the middle of the lake and managed to capsize the canoe...

After the 'incident', I put the GXR in a bag of rice for two weeks and the camera and lens remarkably came back to life. I am still using it today.

(Apologize that the image wasn't taken by a Leica)

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:27 AM
rirakuma
• •
p.750 #4 · p.750 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^ Thats awesome, will keep that in mind if any of my gears get too wet

Jul 19, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Tri Tran
• • • • •
p.750 #5 · p.750 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Biogon 35f2 and M8

Farmer Market Sacramento Zeiss Biogon 35mm_84 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Farmer Market Sacramento Zeiss Biogon 35mm_69 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Farmer Market Sacramento Zeiss Biogon 35mm_68 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Farmer Market Sacramento Zeiss Biogon 35mm_60 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:28 AM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.750 #6 · p.750 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

liking it Tri?

I know the Biogon has it going on for landscapes and all that, but I think the TRUE strength of the lens is what it does near MFD, contrast falloff be damned. Your shots are a great example. I feel the second, with the neutral and slightly warm flowers over the cooler background, really accentuates that whole '3d' business, doesnt it?

I have to admit I do have my eye out for a chrome one lol.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.750 #7 · p.750 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Yes, a bag full of pricy, non-buoyant Leica gear out on the open water in a tippy vessel.

redisburning wrote:
this is an extremely effective image.

and that's why we have insurance, isn't it? so we can actually use our toys

ocean2059 wrote:
I was in a similar canoe last summer with my daughter. I had my Ricoh GXR and an 28mm lens module with me. Ten minutes after the image was taken, My daughter decided to stood up in the middle of the lake and managed to capsize the canoe...

After the 'incident', I put the GXR in a bag of rice for two weeks and the camera and lens remarkably came back to life. I am still using it today.

Haha... If I was out in a canoe with a kid, I'd probably have most of my gear always in a dry bag and would explicitly remind the kid not to get up! I actually did have a dry bag with me, though it was more as a precaution in case we got caught in a downpour.

Incidentally, in that same area of the French River, back in 2009, I photographed a wedding where prior to the ceremony all the guests were out on the water on a floating dock and pontoon boat. But one guest was out in a canoe paddling around. For some reason, he stood up, and capsized spectacularly. I anticipated it and have it in 10fps glory. Don't have those files handy at the moment, otherwise I'd post a couple.

Thanks Mitch. I was flipping between the 21 and 28 and couldn't really make up my mind. What I don't like about the 21mm images are how the canoe looks very wide at the bottom of the frame. Not really bothered by the far tree line, though the 28mm images definitely feel more intimate.

I agree that the M9 isn't as terrible at high ISO as the general non-user consensus. Leica's NR philosophy with the M9 seems to be pretty old-school, in that NR was something expected to be done in post, not in-camera. This was the same with early DSLRs too, and what I experienced firsthand with the original Canon 1D. I frequently shoot the M9 at events at either 640 or 1250 mixed with Canon 1DX files at 1600-3200, and think the M9 holds its own, especially in color quality if the light is fairly clean, though ruddy skin tones can go very red/pink. What I find with the 1DX is that at higher ISOs there is a reduction in color separation and skin tones start to look plasticky. Not because of too much NR. In fact, at higher ISOs the 1DX has a really great luminance granularity. But because the reduced color range looks a bit fake. This also happens to some degee with the M9, but doesn't seem to be as objectionable. Where I think it suffers is that it starts to look a bit blotchy and loses the fine granularity of lower ISO files. IMO, the high ISO M240 DNGs I've played with sit somewhere between the M9 & 1DX. Similar granularity to the 1DX but with somewhat better color.

Again, very appealing colors in this set. I'm leaning towards the one labeled as #8.

Allen - great portrait and lovely subject!
rirakuma - love the depth of #1, mood of 2 and color of 3. Looks like a great location!
Ahn, I agree with red, the 3D in the second one is noticeable. From past discussions here, you're definitely in risky territory with this lens and tempting to provoke its 'bad' bokeh. Who cares! Looks like it's working for you here.

M9 & 50 Lux ASPH:

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:47 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.750 #8 · p.750 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks Mitch. I was flipping between the 21 and 28 and couldn't really make up my mind. What I don't like about the 21mm images are how the canoe looks very wide at the bottom of the frame. Not really bothered by the far tree line, though the 28mm images definitely feel more intimate.

I agree that the M9 isn't as terrible at high ISO as the general non-user consensus. Leica's NR philosophy with the M9 seems to be pretty old-school, in that NR was something expected to be done in post, not in-camera. This was the same with early DSLRs
...Show more

Your canoe pictures, as well as the two latest ones taken with the Summilux-50 remind me of the feeling and colors of the Sam Abell's canoe picture taken on Maine’s Allagash River, which is the cover image of his book, Stay This Moment. Hey, Maine, Canada, what's the diff?

Very interesting about Leica's noise reduction philosophy as something to be done in post. Makes sense to me, as I'd rather have the choice.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:16 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.750 #9 · p.750 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Just a few quick snaps..

One of my shoes while waiting for water, with the 50lux.

Two of my friend, the first Emily (my wife) is doing henna for him (we went to little india with our friends, and one of them wanted henna, so viola). And the last, is when the henna is dry and he's pealing it off.. Both shot with the 75cron..

Honestly, just some snaps from the weekend, I have wedding shots, but I'm not ready to post them up:
(not really part of a series or anything, I purposely processed them slightly different, so you could see the range I'm getting from the CMOS sensor, although, I'm sure not a really good/scientific approach).

Edited on Jul 19, 2013 at 07:24 AM · View previous versions

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:19 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.750 #10 · p.750 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Mitch. I'll have to check out those images you've referred to. No comment on whether there is any difference between Canada and the US.

Regarding Leica's NR philosophy... it seems to have changed with the M240, conforming to the norm nowadays of in-camera NR options. I'm not entirely sure the M9 doesn't apply some NR, since I believe DxO state there is 'smoothing' evident at non-base ISOs: http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Leica/M9 See the dynamic range chart.

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rsolti13
• • • •
p.750 #11 · p.750 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Joakim, Doug, Peter, Ron, Charles

Joakim, like the tones in the canoe shot on prior page. nicely done

Ron, really like all the shots on the prior page in the canoe. The colors are fantastic. My favorite shot is probably from behind with the 50 Lux ASPH. Its so sharp you can see the flies flying around. The first shot above with the clouds hovering over is also excellent

rirakuma, excellent shots! Definitely prefer the last one. Colors are excellent

Mitch, another nice set. My favorite here being #3. The M9 did an excellent job here at ISO 640 and the processing is perfect. The lights shining aren't blown and add a lot to the image

Anh, great to see you here! Great colors from the Biogon! #2 definitely has that Zeiss feel to it. Hope to see more

Adam, like the shoe shot

rainy days....with the Canon 100 f/2

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.750 #12 · p.750 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

^ beautiful colors! I have yet to see poppy colors like that from the M

Jul 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.750 #13 · p.750 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

nice and fun images Ryan. Enjoy these days.

Peter, compared to some other images, I am still seeing dark here, maybe it is personal taste. The 3 images from Australia at the start of this page, I think the brightness and tone is pretty nice on them. Now to me, yours appear darker as a general schema. But you know, I do tend to keep my monitors less bright, that could be one effect too...

I do not like overly bright monitors while looking at code all day for programming... My laptop, the brightness and tone seems all over the place, just depending on the position of the screen.

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:08 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.750 #14 · p.750 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Ryan, how are you liking that canon 100 2?

Very nice Ryan and Adam

Phil

MM w/nocti

Jul 19, 2013 at 04:22 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.750 #15 · p.750 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma wrote:
^ beautiful colors! I have yet to see poppy colors like that from the M

Thanks....I have zero desire to upgrade to the M. But, oh man, I NEED (telling wife this) a Monochrom . Holy cow, Phil let me play with some files and the image quality is just unreal. I can't believe how big of a difference between the M8/M9 and the MM there is.

Phil, excellent shot, love the rendering. No joke, I have a place in the house I could hang that . The Canon 100 f/2 is a blast. It is very sharp wide open dead center and the focus throw is about perfect to allow for precise focusing. Very modern looking, which I like for tele length portraits

few from the CV 50 Nokton II....outside of slightly funky bokeh at a certain distance this lens is beyond excellent

this was funny....my wife wanted a picture of our son with Hooters girls when he was a baby, never got around to doing it. We just happened ( ) to be driving by one at lunch time the other day....I mentioned how I have the camera, lets go get that picture. I decided to tell them it was his birthday so he could get a photo with a group of them....here are a couple, all with 35 Nokton II

where are those eyes looking

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.750 #16 · p.750 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen - That is a great portrait!
rirakuma -Superb! All excellent!
Ahn, in addition to 3D, I love the color.
Adam, Late Congratulation! Must be a busy wedding with M240 around your neck
Ron, Another great set. love them all. Great PP, Again!
Ryan, I love the set! Precious moment and lovely color! The first portrait is my fav.
Phil, Nice composition! and just about right process.

50lux

35cron V1

All from Kauai, Hawaii.

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:39 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.750 #17 · p.750 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ryan and Michael

Beautiful Michael love the 1st shot, great mood and color balance!

Ryan excellent shots of your daughter and son! Orange is my favorite color now

Phil

Jul 19, 2013 at 05:44 PM
joakim
• • •
p.750 #18 · p.750 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Ron, more great photos from the French River. Looks like a good place to relax.
Allen, beautiful portrait.
rirakuma, love the last one. What lens did you use?
Anh, the 35 Biogon looks good to me.
Adam, interesting henna photos. Do you find the 75 cron easy to work with for shots like that?
Ryan, I like the photos with your daughter in the rain and the Hooters photos are, hrm, "interesting" Funny you're mentioning the Monochrom because to me it's starting to look more interesting than the new M.
Phil, nice feel to that b&w
Michael, #1 and #3 are beautiful.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:24 PM
joakim
• • •
p.750 #19 · p.750 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3 more b&w but with a different tone. First one with the 50 Summilux and the other two with the 35 Summilux.

Jul 19, 2013 at 06:25 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.750 #20 · p.750 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

seekuh wrote:
Ron, I like the canoe shot taken with the Lux 21. Very clean. Can't stop admiring your processing skills.

I agree with zhangyue about shooting compressed dngs. Might be worth a test.

Peter, the shots of the Alps are absolutely amazing. Very well done. BTW, I also live in Munich.

Servus seekuh! Thanks, isn't the world wide web a small place

Jul 19, 2013 at 07:48 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password