Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              748      
       750              1006       1007       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rirakuma
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.749 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, sorry to hear about the banding I hope you can get that resolved soon. I find the M9 colors and rendering slightly more pleasant when compared to the M however the mechanical improvements on the M is most welcomed. Those alone is worth the extra money IMHO with a tradeoff that you will need to get used to working with the M colors. Whatever happens I wish you the best of luck

Adam, I believe Leica will soon release a firmware for a more accurate white balance so it won't be a problem for much longer (I hope). I agree with your take on the ISO 1600 is still fairly clean but the camera isn't in the same league as the pro canikons in term of high iso work.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:10 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.749 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Here are four more night pictures, this time made with the Elmarit-21 ASPH, which handles the bright lights very well. These are also shot at ISO 640 and pushed as required. You may note that, for No. 2–5, I needed to push only ¼ or ⅓ stops; had I been setting the ISO in-camera, I probably would have shot these at ISO 1250 or even ISO 2500, because the street was very dark and I would have anticipated the need for these high ISOs. Actually, for this type of lighting one can handle most anything at f/2.8 and 1/30 or 1/60 of a second. My favorite by far is No 1.

This was the first time that I've shot with the Elmarit-21 ASP at night. Earlier in this thread I exchanged some comments with Ron Scheffler on his excellent review of 21mm M-lenses and was toying with the idea of getting a Summilux-21 next month. Seeing what can be done on such a dark night with f/2.8, I now have less lust for the Summilux-21 — also because for this type of street photography I prefer the greater depth-of-field that I'll get at f/2.8. On the other hand, my feeling is that when I shoot close-up, at 1–2m, I'll get enough bokeh with the Elmarit-21 ASPH, although I like the look that Ron gets at f/1.4.

No. 1 | Elmarit-28 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 2 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 2 | Elmarit-28 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.35 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 3 | Elmarit-28 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.25 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 4 | Elmarit-28 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.35 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 5 | Elmarit-28 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.25 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Edited on Jul 18, 2013 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:01 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.749 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch, excellent images. #1 is also my favorite but the last one #5 is also excellent. The 21 Lux would be fantastic, but don't count out the Voigtlander 21 f/1.8 Ultron, very high resolution lens....Ron actually did a quite thorough comparison of the 21mm lenses. Well worth the read.

50 Nokton II

35 Nokton II

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:15 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.749 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch, the last one works best for me.
(ipad - short comment, sorry)

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:21 PM
rirakuma
• •
p.749 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

They're all very nice Mitch. Clean and beautiful honest colors.

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:23 PM
joakim
• • •
p.749 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comment Ron.

Ryan, very nice photos with the 35 & 50 Nokton
Allen, I like the summer feeling in that photo
Peter, more beatiful landscapes from you.
Ron, sorry to hear about your banding issues. I have had some problems myself related to SD cards but nothing like that. Great photos, very calm feeling.
Mitch, interesting street photos.

Here is a better way to photograph a canoe 50 Summilux.

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:31 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.749 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

love the 2 beach shots there Ryan. I thought I liked 2 best, but now I am thinking 1. hmmm.

Peter, is it just me, or is your processing a little dark? Great photos though!

Doug

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.749 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
To reiterate my base ISO point. If you look at a nikon file at 100%, there are little tiny black dots all over the place, a canon file doesn't have this, but is more milky, I think canon somehow tries to "mask" it. I noticed that the M9 had this but instead of black dots its colored dots. And the M10 seems to not have it as much as they use canon's masking method. BUT, not as milky as canon.

Adam, I echo all of above after use all three brand. M9, D800E, D700 and 6D. only 6D can even has blotch red at base ISO in LR, and similar to Leica, it has fine chrome noise as well, but just less. D700 is extreme clean at base ISO.

I am sorting photos took with M9 and 6d took from Hawaii, I have to say M9's output still have a edge over Canikon, especially on foliage. Color is great too.

Jul 18, 2013 at 04:07 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.749 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Michael, I understand what you're saying and that I can do the work with my Canon system. But over the last couple years I've developed a hybrid system that works quite well for me and actually benefits from the use of a rangefinder, manual focus camera. And quite simply, I don't enjoy using DSLRs for some of this kind of work. For all of the reasons that have been debated umpteen times in an infinite loop, the rangefinder is faster and more accurate for me than MF through an OVF SLR finder or an EVF, therefore I'm reluctant to give
...Show more

Ron, I remember you use uncompressed! one thing I forget is try use compressed file instead of uncompressed. especially during event you need quick fire and not ultimate quality.(the difference is extreme small if there is any and heavy scene related.(High DR with highlight detail.)) The camera's computer power is really designed to be handled with compressed file shooting, IMHO.

Recently, at a time shooting uncompressed, I have to removed the battery AND card to be able to restart M9, and my last pic didn't get recorded.

On recent trip to Hawaii, I feel a lot concerned about M9 handle humidity of Kauai and sand, bump etc.. I will feel a lot more comfort with D700 and 24-70G. Just another thought

All these small things add up make me don't want recommend it for professional use. It is not about it will happen now, but just the chance is too high it may fail in field.

As long as you get well prepared.

Trip after trip, use after use, I just love M9 more and more even with its quirk.

Too much talk. Add a pic.

50lux ASPH from Kauai

Jul 18, 2013 at 05:51 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.749 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
http://ronscheffler.com/samples/fmm9/20130521/20130521_0232.jpg

Yes, a bag full of pricy, non-buoyant Leica gear out on the open water in a tippy vessel.

this is an extremely effective image.

and that's why we have insurance, isn't it? so we can actually use our toys

Jul 18, 2013 at 06:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

muc_marlin
• •
p.749 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes on my pictures!

Doug, thanks for bringing this up! Today at my laptop at work I thought that 4 and 5 are in the foreground a little bit to dark. Looking at them agin at home on my calibrated monitor in a darker room I like them just how they are. Was it brighter at location? I am not sure, it was the last light of the day....but still could be . Maybe just a matter of taste?

rsolti, great light house shot....you also have lately pretty dramatic sky's!

joakim, like your stream picture.

Adam, thanks for the little report, looking forward to some pictures!

Ron, I am very sorry to hear about your banding problems! Since I am a Leica newbie I am not much help in this matter. M or M9 is a difficult decision! If you are not on a waiting list, as you said, it will take a long time until you get a new one. As far it concerns me, I am glad i decided to get the M9P. The new M with all it's "new to Leica" features I am skipping, because I am not totally convinced. I believe that the next generation, with more experience and learning curve by Leica, will be the one I like to buy, with the M9P as a back up. But maybe Leica can fix some points with a firmware update? I really like your canoe shots!

Mitch, your pictures transport a very nice and real atmosphere!

Regarding of grain, I didn't like blue sky with the D300, the D3 was to me very clean and the M9 with no side by side comparison is in the same league as the D3.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:25 PM
seekuh
• •
p.749 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I like the canoe shot taken with the Lux 21. Very clean. Can't stop admiring your processing skills.

I agree with zhangyue about shooting compressed dngs. Might be worth a test.

Peter, the shots of the Alps are absolutely amazing. Very well done. BTW, I also live in Munich.

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:31 PM
Elisemkii

p.749 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ciao
Alberto

Leica M9 + 40mm Nokton f/1.4 @ f/1.4

Jul 18, 2013 at 09:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.749 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Yes, a bag full of pricy, non-buoyant Leica gear out on the open water in a tippy vessel.

redisburning wrote:
this is an extremely effective image.

and that's why we have insurance, isn't it? so we can actually use our toys

Thanks Doug! Precisely!! It really bugs me sometimes to read on other forums/threads about people leaving their 'expensive' gear (and not just Leica) at home instead of bringing along on vacation, or to imperfect environments. Care and common sense seems to be effective most of the time. That said, my insurance coverage is becoming obscenely expensive. Adding Leica gear only makes this worse.

zhangyue wrote:
Ron, I remember you use uncompressed! one thing I forget is try use compressed file instead of uncompressed. especially during event you need quick fire and not ultimate quality.(the difference is extreme small if there is any and heavy scene related.(High DR with highlight detail.)) The camera's computer power is really designed to be handled with compressed file shooting, IMHO.

Recently, at a time shooting uncompressed, I have to removed the battery AND card to be able to restart M9, and my last pic didn't get recorded.

On recent trip to Hawaii, I feel a lot concerned about M9 handle
...Show more

I think that is the point - to be somewhat prepared. I've been pretty impressed with how well the M9 has handled adverse weather. It survived ~ -10 C with ~50-70 km/h wind gusts (snow/ice was blowing horizontally) for hours (my fingers didn't fare as well). Also high humidity at around freezing when the inside of the viewfinder fogged up from my breath, but the camera kept working. Also rainy conditions (but I do try to keep it covered as much as possible)...

While researching the problem on LUF I also came to the realization that shooting compressed, at least for events such as weddings, will alleviate a lot of buffer problems. Awhile ago I dropped shooting RAW+Jpeg and that helped, but compressed should roughly halve write time and possibly prolong battery life.

I've ordered a Panasonic 'gold' card to try. Unfortunately it's no longer possible to get the 'pro' version outside the EU, apparently. But the non-pro versions are nearly identical, with the power failure and data damage guards. Just missing the error correction feature. I do think a lot of my banding problems are related to battery level and power fluctuation in the camera, which could affect card writes. Another logical step would be to update to the latest firmware... We'll see whether the Panasonic makes any difference, is just marketing spin. or if my camera is actually defective. This purchase was brought on in part because my favourite Transcend Class 10 non-UHS-1 cards appear to be discontinued. When I tried a UHS-1 from them, it banded terribly, but we'll see if the Panasonic is any different, since it's also UHS-1.

seekuh wrote:
Ron, I like the canoe shot taken with the Lux 21. Very clean. Can't stop admiring your processing skills.
I agree with zhangyue about shooting compressed dngs. Might be worth a test..

Thanks Hilmar! One advantage of an f/1.4 21mm lens is subject separation at this distance and how it blurred out all the irritating flies buzzing around, meaning much less spotting in post.

Joakim - another wonderful scene. It feels so silvery! You've found a great B&W conversion setting, without doubt!
Michael - looks good, though the clouds on the right side of the horizon seem a bit odd. Too much shadow lifting?
Alberto - great use of the 40, a lens I really like a lot for people photography.
Ryan, love the drama, especially in the first two!
Mitch - the first one is very intriguing, especially the very few visual clues in the specular highlights off the car in the foreground. But I find it difficult for my eye to settle on anything. For this reason #2 and the last one are somewhat more 'comfortable.' On the technical side, I really like the color palette in these. By all means, if f/2.8 is workable, then it will save you $7000. The shallow depth of field look works for some things, but I agree that for street work, stopped down a bit will tell more about an overall scene.
Peter, I think the look is good in those. It's difficult to sometimes achieve a dusk or dawn feel in images, as there's usually a temptation to brighten the images for a 'normal' appearance.

A couple more from the canoe, 28 Cron:

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
seekuh
• •
p.749 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I can recommend the Panasonic SD HC I 8 GB No. 10. I have several of these cards. They have not only proven to be (very) reliable but do also speed up buffer writing times.

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.749 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch, very nice. The last composition is my favorite!
Ryan, love the last two shots with the 35 Nokton
Michael, nice evening sunset!
Ron, love the shots with the canoe! Great lighting.
With respect to the SD card issue, in my discussions with Camera Clinic with the head technician, Wayne, I also had a similar issue with the M-M, which was documented and sent to Leica. The feedback here was that it was a power supply issue, and it does happen quite often, when the information is being written to the card. So I think, all these issues do relate to power supply issues, and it may be worthwhile to see if changing to a new battery may in part resolve the issue.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:28 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.749 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great presence in the canoe images.

'to read on other forums/threads about people leaving their 'expensive' gear (and not just Leica) at home instead of bringing along on vacation, or to imperfect environments.'

which are exactly where cameras best work their magic; never understood that attitude either. Insurance is very little to pay...mostly cameras are well covered in general TI.

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:35 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.749 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Hilmar, Charles and Philip!

Hilmar - that's reassuring. I assume those are UHS-1 cards too?
Charles - a new battery is also on the way. I recently picked up a 'new used' battery that apparently was only ~ one year old and not frequently used, and it's the battery that was in the camera on Tuesday when the problem began. Not to say it's faulty, but maybe running them past 50% is a bit risky, at least in my camera. I tend to swap them out at around 50% anyway. Looking at the battery more closely, it's somewhat different in the labels than my older ones.... will be interesting to see how it compares cosmetically against the new one coming. Is there such thing as counterfeit M batteries?

M9 & 50 Lux ASPH. First wide open, the second probably ~ f/4:

Jul 19, 2013 at 01:47 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.749 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:04 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.749 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

seekuh wrote:

I agree with zhangyue about shooting compressed dngs. Might be worth a test.

Peter, the shots of the Alps are absolutely amazing. Very well done. BTW, I also live in Munich.

EXACTLY what he said... If it wasn't for the wedding (cost) I'd be rushing out to buy a 21lux.
LOVE those two shots.

Jul 19, 2013 at 02:19 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password