Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              741      
       743              1100       1101       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.742 #1 · p.742 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

This thread moves so fast!
Mitch, I prefer #1, but with maybe more accent on the faces as it makes for an interesting composition. I prefer the lighting in #2.
Ryan, very nice first set, but love the second series!!!
Ron, really nice! I do love the 21 SEM shot
Edward, magic portrait! The ZM 85 is an amazing lens.
Peter, wonderful captures, particularly the last three
Airfrog, beautiful B&W tonality!

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:11 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.742 #2 · p.742 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Charles....

M Monochrom, 35 lux FLE and red filter.

Jul 11, 2013 at 02:30 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.742 #3 · p.742 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I picked up an inexpensive CV15/4.5 to use on the GXR, but thought I'd try it out on the M9, just for fun. I have no 15mm VF so just guesswork on framing and the shots needed Cornerfix as well.

Cropped a bit and processed with SilverFX

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:20 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.742 #4 · p.742 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Couple with Leica lenses.

Summilux 35/1.4 ASPH

Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:56 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.742 #5 · p.742 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Finally a couple with GXR and the CV15 for comparison

Jul 11, 2013 at 03:59 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.742 #6 · p.742 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Gary, will do

Peter, very nice set. Like them all!

Allen, beautiful shot. Love the dramatic sky and perspective.

Charles, thanks for the comments

CVickery, the CV 15 looks excellent. How extreme is the color shift? Easy to remove with cornerfix?

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:29 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.742 #7 · p.742 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Interesting that you wrote this, because before reading your comment, that is what drew me to #1 over #2 - the tension. Despite the hidden man's visible shoulder, I still prefer #1. While there is not an obvious activity, if any at all, happening in the image, there are several subjects each looking at different things, implying there is something happening, somewhere. And I like that the man second from left is looking at the camera, connecting the viewer to the scene...

charles.K wrote:
...Mitch, I prefer #1, but with maybe more accent on the faces as it makes for an interesting composition. I prefer the lighting in #2...

Ron/Charles, thanks. Yes, it's interesting that most people would prefer No. 2 because it does have better lighting — just moving a couple of steps to the right the lighting from the overhead fluorescent light was brighter and better — and there is more of a "story"; but the tension of No. 1, seems to me, gives greater impact and psychological depth, and is more in line with what I like to express.

charles.K wrote:
...Edward, magic portrait! The ZM 85 is an amazing lens...

Yes, I agree that there is a depth and beauty to Edward's B&W portrait; but I don't think it's the lens — it's the photographer, and I hope it's the woman who's inspiring him, or at east the light, and not the friggin lens.

Guys, I'm surprised that no one reacted to the second part of my post p740#20, which identified a major bug in Lightroom 5.

lenticular11 wrote:
Thanks Mitch. I've posted on Flickr, but I also want to register here how much I like that travelogue book.

lenticular11, thanks for you comment on flickr. I've got two book projects of which I printed out four dummies at a local printer at a cost of about US$100 each. Obviously that's too expensive to be commercial. I've considered using Blurb or another service for self-publishing, but the problem is that the pages are sized 10.0 x 6.7 inches (25.4 x 16.9 cm) on which the photos are printed full bleed — and I cannot find ant online book printing service of the Blurb type that that can do the 3:2 page size ratio full bleed. There would always be some margin; and I feel strongly, for the style of the photography as well as the nature of the content, the pages should be printed full bleed. But it's very hard these days to find a publisher to publish these books. In Paris, a friend of mine contacted a classmate who had taken over the management of a well-known photo and art book publisher that had seen better days and which she was trying to rebuild to see whether this company could publish my Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project] book project; but she said that there was no way that she could afford to publish the book of an unknown photographer. The other problem is that I simply don't have the time to try aggressively to look for a publisher. And there is the issue of whether my two book projects deserve to be published, which, of course, you can judge for yourself.

Note: the other book project is Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project). These two links are for downloading PDF files of the book projects.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:31 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.742 #8 · p.742 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward,
The color-shift and vignetting are pretty extreme. Here's the shot I used to make the profile, so you can see what the software is dealing with. Making the profile was trivial...I just held a Whitebalance filter over the lens and shot at a cloudy sky at f8. Using the software is easy as well, just open the DNG using the profile, then save it (software modifies the name).

I was shocked how well it turned out. The lens was quite inexpensive, it's the older LTM version, no rangefinder coupling, no filters (can't actually). I'm not much of a wide angle shooter, but I think I may need to get a VF so I have the option..

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:53 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.742 #9 · p.742 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
Yes, I agree that there is a depth and beauty to Edward's B&W portrait; but I don't think it's the lens — it's the photographer, and I hope it's the woman who's inspiring him, or at east the light, and not the friggin lens.

Guys, I'm surprised that no one reacted to the second part of my post p740#20, which identified a major bug in Lightroom 5.

Thank you very much for the kind words, Mitch! You know we are all here kind of lens fetichists

As for LR5, I don't think many are using it extensively yet. I myself still didn't upgrade from LR4.4.

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:55 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.742 #10 · p.742 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

CVickery, that looks pretty good actually. I have seen much worse from the Zeiss 21/4.5. I never was able to make good profiles for cornerfix, but I realize the secret is to use the WB attachement. Shooting white walls doesn't really work.

I don't think you need RF coupling with this FL. The 4K++ Zeiss 15/2.8 isn't coupled either.

As for the VF, you might want to get an M240 and use live view

Jul 11, 2013 at 04:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CVickery
• • • •
p.742 #11 · p.742 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, yeah the Zeiss 21/4.5 is troublesome. I had one I used on my M8, and it needed a fair bit of correction there. Great lens on B&W film though.

I'll give some consideration to your suggestion to getting the M240 rather than the VF, but I suspect it'll have some trouble getting by the 'budget committee'

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:12 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.742 #12 · p.742 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
...As for LR5, I don't think many are using it extensively yet. I myself still didn't upgrade from LR4.4.

For me, the major reason to upgrade is the new Radial Filter facility, which allows you to add circular or elliptical shapes, whose size and orientation and feathering you can change — then you can burn or dodge with much better control than with Adjustment Brush. No reason to have to resort to Viveza for dodging and burning any more.

The Spot Removal Tool has also been improved.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 11, 2013 at 05:17 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.742 #13 · p.742 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Cal, that looks really good with the 15. I guess I didn't have as much luck creating a good enough Cornerfix profile and was never super crazy about my results with it on the M9. It's a great lens on the GXR and NEX5N/6 too.

Peter, wow, those look great!
Allen, beautiful subject & tonality!

Revisiting this view again. Subtle light changes two hours apart.

M9 & 90 Summarit, some perspective correction in post (no LR5, so done manually )

Mitch, I did notice your statement about the bug, but like Edward, I haven't upgraded to 5 yet. Maybe will wait a bit for things to settle down.

Jul 11, 2013 at 06:16 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.742 #14 · p.742 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

thanks for the comments and likes!

Ron, very nice architecture shots with perfect framing. From your last set I like the light on the first one more.
rsolti, very interesting root, great b&w conversion.
Edward, excellent portrait and b&w conversion.
Airfrogusmc, looks great.
CVickery, interesting location and thanks for the comparison, also thanks for the color cast examples.
Mitch, I use capture one pro

Jul 11, 2013 at 07:33 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.742 #15 · p.742 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, another nice architecture set. You have a great eye for shapes and forms. I am personally incapable of that, as I would usually try to include everything in the frame

Peter, thank you

One more wide open portrait with low light. I didn't nail the focus right and there is some movement:

M9 Zeiss 85 Sonnar by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jul 11, 2013 at 09:55 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.742 #16 · p.742 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I think it looks better in b/w:

L1005489bw by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.742 #17 · p.742 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yes, I much prefer the B&W version Edward

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.742 #18 · p.742 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

yes Edward, the same for me, nice shot btw.! At the small web pic his left eye looks to be in focus, but jugging sharpness on web sized pics is hardly possible.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.742 #19 · p.742 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you lenticular and Peter. Indeed I slightly front focused this one but you can't tell after resizing and sharpening.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:51 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.742 #20 · p.742 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some IR shots with the M8 and CV35 Nokton in recent weeks, mostly at our National Arboretum that will be better when the trees grow!

L1013717 CV35 Airport from Ainslie - IR by smoothlennie, on Flickr

L1013785 CV35 IR Arboretum bldg by smoothlennie, on Flickr

L1013782 CV35 IR group by smoothlennie, on Flickr

L1013780 CV35 IR scuplture view by smoothlennie, on Flickr

L1013714 CV35 Ainslie IR by smoothlennie, on Flickr

Some sensor dirt visible

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell