Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              739      
       741              1080       1081       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.740 #1 · p.740 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ok, stop the presses. I was reading about Nikon and Canon glass, was I not I THOUGHT I was reading about Nikon and Canon glass, being used on an M, that was why I thought it was M240, because I did read that there's a adapter for these lenses for the M Type 240.

But then Ryan says he has a M9, then Ryan sends me to a article of adapting older Leica screw mount lenses to M mounts. That's all well and good, but how did Nikon and Canon ever come into discussion, comparison shots? Maybe I just need to read better.

Yes, the Noct would be suuueeeet on an M 240 I bet. Not to mention my 28mm 1.4d Yes, I own both pieces of Nikkor hand ground aspherical element lenses now. My 28mm is an import, so service would be a bitch, but at least I have one for now...

I had both those pieces of glass several years ago, like a dummy sold them, and regretted it ever since. I traded a 300mm 2.8 for the Noct, hard to do, yes, but I did it anyway. I bought the 28mm 1.4d outright.

Edward, replacing mounts can be diy and can sometimes require a tech. Depends on the lens. It may be a simple operation, but I am sort of like you, very conservative about working on glass...

nice little lens Rich, I picked up one of those at B & H last week. Getting it converted from R to M with a Leitex mount.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:55 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.740 #2 · p.740 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Doug....The Canon and Nikon lenses we (mostly...I think Joe is using a 50mm Nikon F mount lens and Gary has posted some 80-200 AF-D shots on the M240) are using were built in Leica mount several years back. See below my Canon 50 f/1.5...it is Leica screw mount, not Canon SLR mount

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:01 PM
seekuh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.740 #3 · p.740 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sorry for OT: I've got a 50 Summicron rigid on sale. If someone is interested, please send me a PM.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:02 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.740 #4 · p.740 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3D.Doug wrote:
nice little lens Rich, I picked up one of those at B & H last week. Getting it converted from R to M with a Leitex mount.

All you need is the lens and the new Leica R to M adapter. The cost on the other hand would be a little steep though.

Rich

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:06 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.740 #5 · p.740 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Doug, you're not doing your research!!

As mentioned, 'a few years' back (more like late 40s-60s) Canon and Nikon made lenses in Leica's screw mount, which with a simple adapter can be used on all M series cameras and retain rangefinder focusing. There were also lenses from other now lesser known brands. The Contax rangefinder was based on a different bayonet style mount system that Nikon adopted for its own line of cameras (though with very slightly different specs), and those lenses require a different kind of adapter to use on Leica and retain rangefinder focusing, which is what Joe and I have done with our Contax lenses. But the easiest by far is Leica thread mount (LTM) to M mount.

Here's Canon's site for it's old 'S' system lenses, in Leica LTM. http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/s/19-35.html

So when I've referred to my newly acquired Canon 35/2 LTM and 50/1.4 LTM, it's these lenses. Same with Ryan's 100/2.

Edward, just checked a couple of my ZM lenses and the mount screw positions seem to match. I think it's just a matter of taking one off and putting on the new one. Only concern would be mount thickness variation and whether shimming might be required. But I think it would be safe to just give it a try and see if you get sharp infinity focus. If not, bring it to the tech you have looking at your 85/2. BTW, how is that progressing?

P.S. I have never tried this myself.

Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 04:17 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.740 #6 · p.740 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
A question for you guys. I ordered a replacement bayonet mount from Zeiss for my biogon 25 that brings up the 28mm frames, so that I don't use an external finder. Is it a do it yourself job? (noting that I am very clumsy with screwdrivers). There are 4 screws. Is it as simple as unscrewing the 4 screws, replacing the mount, and screwing back the 4 screws? Or are there any moving or springloaded parts underneath?

Straightforward, remove screws and replace. Just make sure you get a correct version for your Zeiss lenses as there are 3 to 4 types of bayonet for Leica, Voigtlander, Zeiss, etc. Also these adapters have different quality, you get what you pay for and on longer lenses you might want to do some focus test.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:14 PM
joakim
• • •
p.740 #7 · p.740 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Charles, great low light portraits.
Ryan, love the first one with the sailing boat.

Some from today with the 28 Cron.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:35 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.740 #8 · p.740 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

naturephoto1 wrote:
http://www.apotelyt.com/at-image/leica-apo-telyt-r-1600mm-460x307.jpg

Rich

Looks like a submarine

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:39 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.740 #9 · p.740 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, Joe, Doug, thank you for the advice. I am ordering directly from Zeiss so I trust the thickness should be correct. I am picking up the Sonnar tomorrow afternoon. I hope the guy did a good job.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:48 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.740 #10 · p.740 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes on my picture!

Doug, very nice/impressive family portrait.

Alberto, excellent portraits, I particular love the first one.

Ron, yes, for what I need a 21mm lens the 3.4 would be 85% of the time perfect, no question about it. In a perfect world I would like to own both. I am sure we all have been in similar situations where we think back and forth. It's just for the night shots I would love to have a 1.4 lens even if they just make a small percentage of my photography. On the other Hand I can get almost a 21/3.4 and a 135/3.4 for the price of a 21Lux. Well for know I want to use what I have, get to know the lenses better, and time will tell me what I need more.

Charles, yes, I remember the first one, pretty amazing shot!

Edward, don't lough about me, but in the past I did this several times. I remember when I was in night clubs with my friends and some times, when I was bored, I left to make a tour just to see the rising sun on a summit. Well, this was 10-15 years ago, pretty crazy, I know!

Rich, holy cow what a lens.........2 000 000$ and 60kg!

rsolti13, I like that sail boat shot, but in my opinion the pretty amazing sky with it's beautiful clouds deserves a different post processing. I believe it would add a lot to the image, but of course this are just my honest, personal thoughts and don't mean really anything.

Edited on Jul 09, 2013 at 09:02 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.740 #11 · p.740 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
A question for you guys. I ordered a replacement bayonet mount from Zeiss for my biogon 25 that brings up the 28mm frames, so that I don't use an external finder. Is it a do it yourself job? (noting that I am very clumsy with screwdrivers). There are 4 screws. Is it as simple as unscrewing the 4 screws, replacing the mount, and screwing back the 4 screws? Or are there any moving or springloaded parts underneath?

Very easy Edward. I had sent in three lens flanges for machining of the 6bit grooves and it is very simple. Just take care not to overtighten.

Jul 09, 2013 at 08:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.740 #12 · p.740 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

The 28 Cron has nice smooth rendering in the second one Joakim.

Here are some from a downtown Hamilton walk a couple weekends ago... just getting around to processing them. Two pairs, each shot 28 Cron and 21 SEM. Not from the same point for each since it wasn't really meant to be a comparison.

Jul 09, 2013 at 11:41 PM
AshNZ
• •
p.740 #13 · p.740 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

My first pass at PPing this shot, it might be one for our wall so please offer C&C

Leica M8, 28mm Summicron ASPH, 2 images stitched in Microsoft ICE

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.740 #14 · p.740 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you for the comments and likes
Ryan, love the B&W shots! Beautiful rendering in all these shots with these classics

Doug, yes the RF is tough to focus, but easier than the AF with the RX1, in really low light. With the RX1 I end automatically using MF, and using the AEL button for AF, which is great for low light.

Ron, thanks Very nice shot! When I roam the streets in Bangkok at night, I start using ISO 640, and a shutter speed of 1/30 or 1/60s for Bangkok or Bali with the 50 Nocti f1.0 set at f1.2 which seems to be a sweet spot. I will push these files if needed about 1 to 1.5 stops, but then I will raise the ISO when the lighting drops even more. I do like to check the exposure as I set the M9P on manual.

Ron, love your geometric compositions! Excellent set.

Edward, thank you The tolerances on any bayonet mounts are very critical, and may affect the RF accuracy of the lens. Just tightening the screws can affect the calibration! The replacement of the bayonet is easy, but making sure the calibration is not affected, is not so easy.

Joakim, thanks Very nice set with the 28 Cron.

Ash, wonderful seascape shot!!

Jul 10, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.740 #15 · p.740 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
...Edward, thank you The tolerances on any bayonet mounts are very critical, and may affect the RF accuracy of the lens. Just tightening the screws can affect the calibration! The replacement of the bayonet is easy, but making sure the calibration is not affected, is not so easy

Care is certainly called for, but I have changed the flanges for 6-bit coding on three lenses without any difficulty or change in focus.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:43 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.740 #16 · p.740 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Guys please be so kind to let me know which picture you prefer of the following two for inclusion in the series linked under my signature below. I have posted them earlier and they were singled out among the ones people preferred from my night pictures. I usually don't have trouble choosing this sort of thing, but in these two I keep on vacillating. My preference has been for the first one because of my feeling that it has some sort of psychological tension that perhaps makes it edgier, while the second one shows three generations of a family and indicates that they a laundry service from their porch. [I don't know whether this type of post is within the accepted etiquette of this forum, considering that the pictures has already been posted in this thread.]

Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 1.95 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 2.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 10, 2013 at 02:58 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.740 #17 · p.740 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch, I would choose #1 because it will be easier to print without the color noise on the edges and choose #2 for composition and story telling on #2

This is all subjective right?

I like #1 because it has four interesting subjects to me, man left seated, man in foreground in 1/3 left frame anchoring composition and spiting into 3rds. Woman and child main subject and interesting expressions on both. Finally fan and infant behind it creates a question mark and can be subject to open interpretation.

I like #2 because the colors and exposure in the middle seems spot on, sharp and clean. Also the composition is revolving, circulating between woman on right looking at the others and there is a flow from mother to 1st child to 2nd child back to woman on right foreground - perfect to keep me engaged together with the other secondary subjects- food on chair, fire extinguisher, etc that are surrounding the subjects.. Man lurking behind and top left background, can't really tell much based on this web size. Finally, there is a nice diagonal anchoring the subjects from lady in right foreground all the way back to the top left of the composition. I know its a sin to crop, but I might just crop a tiny bit of the top left and see if it strengthens the composition, probably not. You just need to try and get rid of the color noise on the edges. LR or other noise reduction software will be easy enough.

Jul 10, 2013 at 03:12 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.740 #18 · p.740 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

AshNZ, very nice picture I really like it a lot! If you are asking for nitpicking, maybe the left palm tree, which get's cut twice disturbs me a tiny little bit.

Mitch, I like the second one more, there is so much to discover. Is this a fish on the plate? But to be honest, the red color noise disturbs me a lot.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:06 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.740 #19 · p.740 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Gary, Charles and Mitch for the further advice. I think I will leave it to the pros

Mitch, I prefer the 2nd shot because of the stronger composition even though the 1st shot has a more interesting activity.

Ash, beautiful shot. Love it.

Jul 10, 2013 at 08:33 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.740 #20 · p.740 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88/muc_marlin/edward, thanks. Yes, I agree that the composition and the light on the people is better in the second picture. The reason I had originally picked the first one is that I wanted some "psychological tension", but I must admit that the second man's shoulder just behind the first man compromises that somewhat. So, I'm still thinking about this and hope that I'll get some more comments

On the red color noise in the second picture: I haven't paid much attention to this because, as I mentioned in an earlier posting, I noticed that the JPGs exported from Lightroom 5 that I had "pushed" the most, and that had the highest effective ISO and the most noise, looked much noisier than the image in LR5. Doing a google search, I found the following recent statement from Adobe:

As mentioned here, a bug was introduced in Lightroom 5.0 where files exported at less than 1/3 of their original size may not retain Output Sharpening and Noise Reduction settings. We are working on a solution and will include it in our next update.

So this is merely an lR5 bug. Therefore, please don't pay attention to the red color noise in the second picture, although it's hard to ignore. I ignored it because my mind was only connecting with the image within LR5, which didin't have this annoying noise. It's amazing though that the Adobe beta testing process wasn't able to identify this JPG export problem before the final release.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Paris au rhythme de Basquiat and Other Poems [download link for book project]

Edited on Jul 11, 2013 at 05:09 AM · View previous versions

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password