Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              738      
       740              1096       1097       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3D.Doug
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.739 #1 · p.739 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Peter, excellent shot!

Joe, it's part of my clever plan to position myself for the long haul. We all know cameras come and go, glass is for the long haul. This is the kit I Was headed toward, except for dreaming of a Noct someday. There's really not much else, unless it's an ultra-wide, and maybe a 135mm. But I am quite happy with this family as it is. Doing the math, I was a little taken back what my collection has added up to now. Yikes. No wonder it took me 2 years to build and some "sacrifice flies", as in sold Nikon long glass to reinvest in Leica. This was calcuclated though, I can always add more long glass later on the Nikon side. Lenses may not always be so available for Leica.

Jul 09, 2013 at 03:55 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.739 #2 · p.739 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Alberto!

Peter, looks like a great hike. You're very dedicated to get up at that time of night... It's about when I prefer to go to bed.
I have done the very same thing as you, but back in March. The day before I photographed a day-long youth hockey tournament, then had to get up at 6am to photograph a running race... unfortunately I didn't notice when setting the alarm on my iPod that the volume had been turned down and I slept through it. I woke up wondering why it was light out, then the panic hit having realized I overslept by about 3 hours. In a rush, I got to the finish line literally about 15 seconds before the first runner came through. Got lucky there, but did miss the start of the race.
I still think for what you're photographing, the 21/3.4 will better match your expectations and pair more closely with the 28 Cron and 50 Lux ASPH. The 21 Lux is a very good lens, but IMO best used wide open. The SEM is the best technical 21mm lens available in M-mount (and perhaps for any 35mm system).
Excellent point about typically having your D3 in the backpack vs. having the Leica readily accessible. I typically either keep it around my neck or in-hand with the strap wrapped around my right hand/wrist.

Doug, it's definitely a journey. Expensive, yes, but certainly fun. 90AA is a lens I still have to try. Maybe I shouldn't to avoid the temptation...

Joe, that's unfortunate about the mark, though one would hope a reasonable buyer will appreciate the insignificance of that on image quality.

So, yes, wrapped up the ROM interiors, but here are a few from outside the 'crystal' addition:

First with 21 Lux and the rest with 50 Lux ASPH on the M9.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:51 AM
joakim
• • •
p.739 #3 · p.739 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, another great set. It looks like with all its angles, lines and shapes you're like a kid in a candy store when you can shoot freely in the ROM

Jul 09, 2013 at 06:56 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.739 #4 · p.739 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks, joe88, Edward and Ron.

charles.K wrote:
...I must admit I do not err from using 2500 ISO on the M9P with the 50 Nocti for night shots. I have tried pushing 640 ISO, but I still find more color noise to contend with. I don't mind luminescence noise, but color noise with mixed lighting drives me crazy...

You mean that you don't have a problem in getting the right exposure by shooting at ISO 2500 at night? If so, I wonder whether I'm dealing with more problematic lighting — on the other hand I'll be the first to admit that I'm not experienced in this type of night exposure and, also, in the dynamic situation of walking along the street where most of the people are comments, or, now, talking to me once they know I speak the language, I'm easily distracted from concentrating on frequent exposure adjustments that I should be making.

Ron has also suggested in p737 #14 that the downside of pushing M9 files often produces purple edges
So, how does everyone you come out on setting the high ISO in camera vs shooting at ISO 640 and pushing in post? Is the answer really that if you think your exposure at ISO 1250 – 2500 will be okay, you might as well set it in the camera, otherwise shoot at ISO 640 and push in post?

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 09, 2013 at 09:50 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.739 #5 · p.739 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Peter, thank you Amazing shot!
Ryan, wonderful series again! Your daughter is destined to be a model
My preference, is the 85 Nikon, though I suppose this is why I prefer the 75 Lux too
Doug, love the collection!!
Alberto, wonderful captures.
Joe, love the evening capture with mother of unsharp 50's!!
Ron, amazing series!

Mitch Alland wrote:
You mean that you don't have a problem in getting the right exposure by shooting at ISO 2500 at night? If so, I wonder whether I'm dealing with more problematic lighting — on the other hand I'll be the first to admit that I'm not experienced in this type of night exposure and, also, in the dynamic situation of walking along the street where most of the people are comments, or, now, talking to me once they know I speak the language, I'm easily distracted from concentrating on frequent exposure adjustments that I should be making.

For night street shooting, I will try to keep the ISO at 640, but there are times where it so dark, that I set the ISO at 2500. My pet peeve with the M9P is reviewing the shots at 2500 ISO, as the screen is terrible is really is no indication at all of how the shot will look. Call it blind faith, knowing the shots will look OK once downloaded.

Sorry for the re post, two night time street shots in Bangkok, in almost total darkness at 2500 ISO, with the mother of unsharp 50's E60.

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:15 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.739 #6 · p.739 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, very nice moment there! The exterior shots are also very well composed.
Rsolti, wow, beautiful colors and rendering from the Nokton II.
Doug, expensive tray you've got there
Alberto, lovely portraits of the kids. Smooth tonality.
Peter, thanks for you comments and fully agreed. Beautiful mountain shot! Sounds like my life story with alram clocks! The best way if you want to wake up at 3 AM is not to sleep in the first place
Joe, love the rendering of the Nocti.
Charles, the first shot is just fantastic!

Jul 09, 2013 at 10:44 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.739 #7 · p.739 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks all!

Doug, great pic of the children . I have an M9, no M240 for me....yet

Joe/Charles, the Nocti you two have proves to be an excellent night lens. For night street shooting it must be one of the best lenses to have as you have shown

Ron, love the set from the ROM. The angles you captured perfectly...and what color! My favorite is definitely #3

lets do some Canon shots....

100 f/2

50 f/1.5

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:08 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.739 #8 · p.739 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

what the hell...how about some Canon 50 f/1.5 bokeh shots....

Jul 09, 2013 at 12:10 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.739 #9 · p.739 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

What is this Rom Ron, that's a razor sharp lens! Well, the shots it produces are! Wow.

Are you using an adapter Ryan, it seems to work pretty well, tell me more about what you have...

Thanks Charles. It would take a bigger tray for your collection.

Edward, the shot glasses were optional with that tray at Pottery Barn. It may have been the Neiman Markus edition...

Why have a pier, if you can't fish off of it? I recognize low tide at the marsh of that area anywhere Ryan... Fond memories of Hilton Head and Savannah.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:00 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.739 #10 · p.739 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Doug, simply using a Voigtlander LTM-->M mount adapter. That pier is at the park for the Savannah aquarium....they don't want you catching their displays

Yeah, the tide over here in Savannah moves 8-10ft low tide to high tide....never seen such big difference anywhere else. If there was ever a hurricane hitting at high tide....oh boy

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

3D.Doug
• • •
p.739 #11 · p.739 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

oh, ok, well, how does focus work and aperture settings?

Oh, well at the aquarium, I guess that wouldn't go over real well... lol.

I have a good friend that lives in Savannah, we go all the way back to grammar school.

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:43 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.739 #12 · p.739 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3D.Doug wrote:
oh, ok, well, how does focus work and aperture settings?

EXACTLY the same as your M mount, simply screw the LTM-->M adapter on the bottom of the screw mount lens and you now have an M mount lens. Everything works the same as you know with your M lenses. The only thing, the adapters aren't coded...which I could care less about, but some do. There are some manufacturers that sell dremeled LTM-->M mount adapters that are ready for nail polish/marker/etc to fill in for coding

Jul 09, 2013 at 01:48 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.739 #13 · p.739 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

So, are you physically converting the lens, by changing mounts, or is this truly an adapter so you can use a lens on nikon or canon, pop the adapter on, use it on M, then remove and go back to using on OEM camera?

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:08 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.739 #14 · p.739 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Tough to get focus on a rangefinder at night Charles! . I don't envy you that. I like my little green nikon dot for manual focus sometimes, in really low light, especially with my 1.2 AIS NOCT mounted. That's a Nikkor Noct, not a Leica.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:12 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.739 #15 · p.739 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

3D.Doug wrote:
So, are you physically converting the lens, by changing mounts, or is this truly an adapter so you can use a lens on nikon or canon, pop the adapter on, use it on M, then remove and go back to using on OEM camera?

read here

The lenses are leica screw mount lenses...so no need for Canon/Nikon adapter.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:16 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.739 #16 · p.739 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan, you may have just opened a can of worms for Doug on these older lenses

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.739 #17 · p.739 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Mitch, the purple edges are a problem even if you set the in-camera ISO higher, but will be less obvious unless pushing in post because the automatic lens correction will be less than at lower ISOs. This is more a consideration if you're shooting with wider angle lenses that receive a fair amount of vignetting/color shift correction, such as the 28 Cron and various 21mm lenses. Another option is to turn off lens coding, but then you lose some exif information.

I still prefer to keep ISO at or below 640. If I was braver, I probably would keep it at 160. The benefit is not blowing out bright areas in scenes and being able, as you mentioned earlier, push just enough for each image.

For example, this scene from a night out with friends/colleagues at a pub:

It was shot at ISO 160 and pushed probably around 3 stops in Lightroom (on a different computer from the one I use for processing, so can't say precisely). But because I shot it at ISO 160, the lights didn't blow out (much), nor did the TV. I was able to preserve those areas of the scene while bringing up the brightness of the lower half to a pleasing level, while also being able to avoid much, if any purple edge noise (the 21 Lux vignettes a lot). Had I shot that scene at the same shutter speed but ISO 640, then the bright areas, particularly the TV, probably would have blown out beyond graceful recovery.

In the scenes Charles posted, the tonal range is within the dynamic range of the camera at that ISO, therefore no worries. My guess is that while there are measurable technical advantages of shooting at lower ISOs and pushing in post, rather than setting the camera to ISO 1250 or 2500, it may not be enough of a difference visually in real life.

Thanks guys for your comments!

Charles - great to see your street portraits again, even if recycled.
Ryan - very illustrative of how capable the Canon lenses are! Looking forward to more, especially from the 100/2.
Doug - ROM = Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto.

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:23 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.739 #18 · p.739 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Ryan, you may have just opened a can of worms for Doug on these older lenses

Well...now that Doug mentions he has a Nikon 58 f/1.2 Noct he NEEDS the M240. Imagine that beast on the M

Ron - great explanation on using lower ISO....I have always tried my hardest not to go above 640 so I haven't tested that...but may try it just to see the difference now

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:27 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.739 #19 · p.739 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Well...now that Doug mentions he has a Nikon 58 f/1.2 Noct he NEEDS the M240. Imagine that beast on the M

Ron - great explanation on using lower ISO....I have always tried my hardest not to go above 640 so I haven't tested that...but may try it just to see the difference now

This is the lens that I want to see mounted on the M240.

http://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/leica-most-expensive-lens

Rich

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:33 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.739 #20 · p.739 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Rsolti, the b/w boat shot is surreal. Love the tonality and the spot of light on the boat.
Ron, this is normally what I do in contrasty light or when the light sources are in the photo. It's great that pushing the iso in ACR preserves the highlights.

A question for you guys. I ordered a replacement bayonet mount from Zeiss for my biogon 25 that brings up the 28mm frames, so that I don't use an external finder. Is it a do it yourself job? (noting that I am very clumsy with screwdrivers). There are 4 screws. Is it as simple as unscrewing the 4 screws, replacing the mount, and screwing back the 4 screws? Or are there any moving or springloaded parts underneath?

Jul 09, 2013 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password