Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              732      
       734              1049       1050       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.733 #1 · p.733 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, those look great! I really like how the 35 Cron I looks

Few more with CV 50 1.5

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:06 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.733 #2 · p.733 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Handsome Dad and beautiful girl

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:08 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.733 #3 · p.733 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Handsome Dad and beautiful girl

+1 Agree with Michael!

Michael, excellent B&W shots with the 35Cron.

Edward, back to rangefinder shooting, the M240 might be the solution to your RF focusing issues. I find focusing more accurate than my M9 and Monochrom, especially with lenses longer than 50mm. Previously with the M9 I had really low keeper rates for 90mm FL (I have poor eyesight and unsteady hands), but with the M240, keeper rates have increased and this is just comparing RF focusing and not live view. I was shooting the Nocti wide open yesterday with RF and when I opened the files back home, I was surprised that almost all shots were in focus, except for a few shots where I could not keep up with a running child.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:20 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.733 #4 · p.733 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Michael, Joe.

Nice job with the Noct Joe. What would be the reason that you can focus long lenses more accurately on the M240 if not for the live view? I am in the same boat...well halfway....can't see great and I struggle past 50mm

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:54 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.733 #5 · p.733 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Joakim and Adam for your input.

Zhangyue, beautiful film photos.

Ryan, Lovely portraits!

Joe, Both shots are very nice and you nailed the focus right on.

Zhangyue and Joe, regarding the Sonnar, I do not really blame Zeiss. They calibrated the lens according to their criteria, which are probably different than Leica criteria. Any calibration variations, even as low as 1% can have a substantial effect with a long wide aperture lens as the Sonnar. I don't think the M 240 is the solution, because I have no problem with focusing my M9, even with the Sonnar, the back focusing is almost exactly the same in all shots and very consistent. I nail focus 99.99% of the time with my other lenses. I think with some lenses like the Sonnar, calibration is very difficult even for highly experienced technicians. It cannot be done only with factory defaults, but with trial and error on a calibrated body, which is what the local technician will theoretically try to do. If he succeeds, I will certainly forget about the entire issue and keep on shooting happily with the M9

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:02 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.733 #6 · p.733 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sonnar wide open:

M9 + Zeiss 85 Sonnar by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:21 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.733 #7 · p.733 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Ryan, Edward.

Edward, excellent shot! Rendering looks really modern, and I want your 20/20 eyesight Hope the technician is able to make it work for you. Meanwhile, play around with your ZM25/35/50?

Ryan, the manufacturing tolerances for mechanical parts have been improved. Quoting Erwin Puts site, " The main tolerances for the performance-relevant components and adjustments are now on micron level which is a significant improvement compared to previous models." http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/leica-m-part-1.html

Also, others have also similar experiences on improved RF focusing
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/4/the-m-typ-240---leicas-very-grown-up-new-baby-reviewed

But it could be because we all like excuses for new toys! Jokes aside, M(240) seems to be more accurate with focusing across all focal lengths for me. The RF patch contrast still looks the same to me, and I align focusing on the longer lenses as I did on my M9 and bingo, on the M240 it seems to hit focus more often with my 90Cron @f/2, although on my Nikkor 10.5cm and 135 Elmar (without magnifier), my hit rate is still less than 50% with RF. I prefer live view on the 105/135 where it is 100% accurate. The best part with M(240) live view is that we can immediately compare RF focus patch with live view/EVF to see if the lenses or camera is out of calibration.

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:46 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.733 #8 · p.733 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Joe! I have to shamelessly brag about my focusing abilities with the RF

Indeed I have read in several places that Leica has improved the tolerances of the RF in the M 240 and most owners see a real improvement, even though there are reports of a few with completely screwed up RF calibration. I think the improvement is in the "play" of the RF mechanism, less play means lower error margin. I would have liked an improvement in the optical quality of the VF, similar to the bright contrasty VF of the Zeiss Ikon, but this would mean a complete redesign of the M body, and I don't think this will ever happen.

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:53 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.733 #9 · p.733 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Actually everyone I know who has an M240 has been saying that the RF focusing has been vastly improved, and that hitting focus is easier and more consistent. Might just be new expensive toy syndrome..

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:55 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.733 #10 · p.733 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I think I'm done with range finders. Got my 85/2 back from CLA today, wobble is gone, but back focusing has increased. Not blaming Zeiss service or Leica RF calibration, it's just that range finders are not accurate as a system. The lens is already with a local technician for another 10 days

Anyhow, what in your opinion is the best current mirrorless body to use with the ZM glass? The GXR-M is not on the list because it has only 10 mp and is discontinued. How about the Fuji XE-1? Anyone has experience with this camera?

Edward, from my understanding, if there is consistent back focus at all distances, adding a shim to the lens should resolve the problem.

I think a factor working against you is it's a wide aperture telephoto lens compounded by the fact it's a Zeiss on a Leica body. As has been discussed/rumored before, the Zeiss Ikon flange distance was or may have been slightly different from Leica's. When I tried Andrew G's ZM85/2 on my M9 I was very surprised to find it focused accurately. Unfortunately this focus lottery seems to be part of the RF experience, and not saying this to make excuses for it... Of my lens collection right now, most don't focus perfectly on my M9 and each of those needs slight RF tweaks. Mental microfocusadjustment if you will... Curious now whether or not that would be much different with the M240.

rscheffler wrote:
Hey guys, I was going to write up something but then realized with a bag full of 50mm LTM and M mount lenses, might as well just shoot something.

While it's nothing special, hopefully it gives some idea about the various lenses and their renderings. I shot a leafy backlit scene at 1m (images below) and also 1.5m, as well as an open shade scene at 1m.

I've posted images and download links to the full-rez files on my blog: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=217

Naturally this isn't near to being definitive and lacks a number of current 50mm lenses, such as the various Crons, Summarit,
...Show more
eninety wrote:
i kind of like the bokeh of the CV 50 1.5 vm. it seems less busy. the lux is obviously the best, but the planar just seems a bit harsh. but the color of the zeiss being slightly warmer lends its hand to this particular setting.

adamdewilde wrote:
I honestly find it really depends on the shooting distance. Wide open and close, I don't mind the CV 1.5 at all.. I just feel for an overall walk around lens in various situations, for various reasons the 50/2 planar is where I'd spend my money if I was in the market for a 50 and the 50lux was not an option.

Although in Ron's review shots, there is really nothing wrong with the CV 1.5, in fact if that's all you were using it for (close up, wide open), it's no slouch against the 50lux.

Totally agree with Adam that my images only cover a very narrow usage style for these lenses. What I was going to write up earlier before doing the comparison shots, was it really depends on how the lens is used. I love the ZM50/2 for stuff where I'm not going for so much subject/background separation, like urban/natural landscapes. It has a great snap to it, great micro contrast and is overall very well behaved. The CV50/1.5 at such distances needs to be stopped down a lot for across-frame sharpness, IIRC, and has a gentler rendering. You can add contrast in post but typically it's not possible to introduce the micro contrast inherent in lenses like the Planar. It's not a bad lens, just not as 'technical' a lens like the Lux ASPH.

Ryan, great series with your daughter! The Canon 50/1.5 looks very familiar. From my little shootout, it was pretty obvious the Zeiss-Opton Sonnar and the Nikon 50/1.4, also a Sonnar, are very similar. Therefore I expect the Canon to be much the same. It's a fun kind of lens, but as you pointed out, not technically great for across-frame sharpness, especially at greater distances. Also there's focus shift to deal with...

Joakim - fabulous! Love the first one in particular!

Michael - excellent look from those, particularly the third.

Joe - wow, Nocti looks really nice. I'm losing track now, this is a lens you've had for some time, or new? Yes, f/16! Natural anti aliasing. Roger Cicala at lensrentals has pointed out in a number of his lens tests that f/16 performance is usually about on par with near wide open performance, just the depth of field is much deeper. I've found that at times, shooting with the 21 or 28 on the M9, that f/16 gives just that much more depth of field to help scenes with very deep focus, typically a problem when the subject is fairly close, like 1-1.5m. Some of the diffraction can be offset with sharpening in post. It really depends on what you need out of the shot.

Gary - yes, I agree with you about the Canon. It's quite predictable and easy to use. I was at first kind of 'meh' about it, but it has subtle qualities that, as Joe pointed out, put it somewhere between the vintage Sonnars and the Lux pre-ASPH. Great set!

Kind of losing track of what I have and haven't posted...

One with the Zeiss-Opton 50/1.5 Sonnar:

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.733 #11 · p.733 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Actually everyone I know who has an M240 has been saying that the RF focusing has been vastly improved, and that hitting focus is easier and more consistent. Might just be new expensive toy syndrome..

My keeper rate has definitely improved....

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:03 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.733 #12 · p.733 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

puh, a lot of new posts to catch up with! Hopefully I have time tomorrow afternoon ....

Just a view pics, the weather was terrible today, but I thought at this place it might be even a advantage.
All wide open and handheld, captured with M9P.

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:13 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.733 #13 · p.733 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

a view more....

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:17 PM
leonasj
• •
p.733 #14 · p.733 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

first and last at f/2,there is no photoshop,of course

© leonasj 2013

M9+APO 90/2 ASPH

© leonasj 2013

© leonasj 2013

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:54 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.733 #15 · p.733 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

99.99%? That is high!
edwardkaraa wrote:
I have to shamelessly brag about my focusing abilities with the RF

Indeed!
Great portrait from 85mm! You can expect something great happen once nail focus with Sonnar!

Hi Edward, I was thinking the same thing as Ron suggested, remove the mount, put a few pieces paper or plastic paper underneath, and put back the mount. That is all you need to do.

Another thing is if you can consistent nail ‘back focus’ you can compensate it!

Joe, Gary, and Adam, I can understand they might improve tolerance? But I am puzzled how they can improve operator’s tolerance, I have a hard time see it clearly in focus, and I have good eyesight. Unless they change the focus window somehow?

Another thing I am very interested is: Did they improve the reliability of focus mechanic part. As I usually have no problem what so ever for a while, and start see things change over the time. Thus, I like wide angle lens like 24/28/35 with f2 even f1.4, and so far 50cron rigid has been very consistent and can tolerate some error of M9 over the time.

Joe, very vivid color. Noct render nicely at park
Ron, nice composition and peaceful pic, the subject out of focus sweet circle slightly bother me.
Peter, I like the depth of first one from 2nd set.
leonasj, Nice color and rendering.

Jul 03, 2013 at 09:13 PM
eninety
• • •
p.733 #16 · p.733 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

so i caved in and got the CV 50mm 1.5 just to try out from B&H for the holiday weekend! took some initial test shots on my way home. cant say im disappointed.

both shot at 1.5

sharpness wasn't enhanced in either. converted to B&W in lightroom, and boosted some contrast and took down some highlights. dudes hair was WHITE

Jul 03, 2013 at 10:54 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.733 #17 · p.733 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Peter, very nice and I really like the last two of the second set. My girlfriend was there a couple years ago: Höllentalklamm. I was just archiving her photos, going through her take from that location and immediately recognized your photos... unfortunately I haven't made it out there, yet. BTW, if you're ever in Taiwan, there's a somewhat similar experience at Taroko Gorge on the central east coast:

(sorry, above shot on Canon)

Leonas, the first and third in particular look really nice.
Kevin, congrats and give it a good workout! I think it will suit reportage style shooting. Doesn't hurt that it also looks interesting. Black or chrome?
Michael, thanks for the feedback. It would have looked calmer with the 50 Lux ASPH.

More from the Zeiss-Opton 50/1.5, more or less test shots while getting a feel for the lens. Joe, note the third shot, which was shot into the sun and handled it pretty well. I'm sure the leaves blocking some of the direct sunlight also helped.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:46 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.733 #18 · p.733 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments!

Ron, f/16 for au natural anti aliasing ! I start to see diffraction on my 28Cron and 35Lux ASPH at f/11 to f/16. Never really tried f/16 in the past unless it was really necessary as I always thought IQ would be worse than shooting wide open. Also thanks for the samples on the Opton's coating, looks like it handles flare pretty well, excellent set, that second shot is so sharp and smooth. 4th shot is interesting, OOF region giving me a bit of a headache

Peter, another excellent set and hike!

Leonas, nice set with the 90AA.

Michael, maybe new tool syndrome equals better focus accuracy . Actually, I have no idea, but it works.

Kevin, congrats on the CV 50/1.5. Looks excellent!

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.733 #19 · p.733 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Edward, from my understanding, if there is consistent back focus at all distances, adding a shim to the lens should resolve the problem.

I think a factor working against you is it's a wide aperture telephoto lens compounded by the fact it's a Zeiss on a Leica body. As has been discussed/rumored before, the Zeiss Ikon flange distance was or may have been slightly different from Leica's. When I tried Andrew G's ZM85/2 on my M9 I was very surprised to find it focused accurately. Unfortunately this focus lottery seems to be part of the RF experience, and not saying
...Show more

Hi Ron,

In theory, indeed, there is a difference between the Zeiss Ikon and Leica M flange distance. In practice, there are so many variations in lens calibrations, both from Zeiss and Leica, that buying a new lens is definitely like a lottery. I had to send my brand new 35/2 and 25/2.8 for calibration, but Zeiss did an excellent job with them. Unfortunately I think Zeiss tolerances are not sufficient for using the Sonnar on a digital body.

If the solution is that simple, I am sure the Leica technician will do it easily, especially that he's working with a Leica body not absolute numbers and measurements as in the factory.

Fingers crossed.

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:16 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.733 #20 · p.733 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
My keeper rate has definitely improved....

zhangyue wrote:
Joe, Gary, and Adam, I can understand they might improve tolerance? But I am puzzled how they can improve operator’s tolerance, I have a hard time see it clearly in focus, and I have good eyesight. Unless they change the focus window somehow?

Another thing I am very interested is: Did they improve the reliability of focus mechanic part. As I usually have no problem what so ever for a while, and start see things change over the time. Thus, I like wide angle lens like 24/28/35 with f2 even f1.4, and so far 50cron rigid has been very consistent and
...Show more

I really don't know how this could be possible either, I'd say if you had a perfectly calibrated lens on an M9 and on the M240, you should technically be the one at fault for focus error, YET everybody I've asked has said that focusing the M240 is easier and the keeper rate is up.
They did in fact redesign the whole rangefinder focusing mechanism, from what I've been told. It's suppose to be better according to Leica. But I never got details as to WHY.

Jul 04, 2013 at 04:47 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password