Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              731      
       733              1041       1042       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.732 #1 · p.732 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hey guys, I was going to write up something but then realized with a bag full of 50mm LTM and M mount lenses, might as well just shoot something.

While it's nothing special, hopefully it gives some idea about the various lenses and their renderings. I shot a leafy backlit scene at 1m (images below) and also 1.5m, as well as an open shade scene at 1m.

I've posted images and download links to the full-rez files on my blog: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=217

Naturally this isn't near to being definitive and lacks a number of current 50mm lenses, such as the various Crons, Summarit, Nocti, Sonnar, etc. It's just what I happen to have available.

1m backlit wide open, lens info is in the watermark:

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.732 #2 · p.732 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

i like how you have them pretty much in order of increasing funkiness.

thanks for the comparo, very useful.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:50 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.732 #3 · p.732 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hehe, it was kind of a coincidence. I wanted to shoot the M mount lenses first because I only have one LTM adapter for all the old lenses. It's interesting how funkiness seems to increase with age of the lens.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:58 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.732 #4 · p.732 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, you're having way to much fun !

Jul 02, 2013 at 11:07 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.732 #5 · p.732 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, great comparison. That Lux ASPH sure is boring . Very interesting example

8 shot pano with the Tele-Elmar 135

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:54 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.732 #6 · p.732 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great shots all!

Gary, nice rendering on the Canon 50/1.4 ltm set.
Ron, nice comparison of the 50s. They are all so different and hard to pick a favorite. The Canon seems to be in between the more vintage Sonnar look and the modern ASPH lenses. Actually quite like the softer look of the vintage Summarit as well. Your earlier French river sets are all excellent, makes me feel as though I'm there. I like the slight glow on the Canon 50 1.4 ltm shot but agree with others, 21Lux is superb! 28Cron at f/16? Don't think I've tried that yet!
Ryan, those CV 50/1.5 shots look excellent. A little imperfection on the out of focus rendering at times but otherwise looks really sharp and the 0.7MFD is a bonus? Pano looks interesting and cool!

--------
Nocti E60, all f/1.0

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:51 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.732 #7 · p.732 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron - thanks for the comparison. I guess that's one advantage of owning so many lenses. I'm glad I only own one 50....
Ryan - neat pano and a spot I have come to recognize from your photos.
Joe - man that nocti looks real sweet. Such nice rendering...

A couple more from last weekend with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 ltm. I am liking this lens more and more each day. Very predictable output and very good performance from an older lens design.

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:14 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.732 #8 · p.732 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I think I'm done with range finders. Got my 85/2 back from CLA today, wobble is gone, but back focusing has increased. Not blaming Zeiss service or Leica RF calibration, it's just that range finders are not accurate as a system. The lens is already with a local technician for another 10 days

Anyhow, what in your opinion is the best current mirrorless body to use with the ZM glass? The GXR-M is not on the list because it has only 10 mp and is discontinued. How about the Fuji XE-1? Anyone has experience with this camera?

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:08 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.732 #9 · p.732 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward,

I have been using the Fujifilm X-E1 with my Leica R lenses for sometime. I also have the Fujifilm 14mm f2.8 lens which is an excellent performer. I like the camera and the results. Some have still been complaining about the X-Trans sensor. I do my work in LR4.4 (soon to be LR5) but I work the files to yield what I want. Don't forget that the camera has an APS-C sensor and has a 1.5X multiplier with FF lenses. The camera from my understanding does not do as well with wide or uw angle rangefinder lenses. I have no RF lenses to use with the camera. Also, I have been down now for almost 6 weeks now due to my Quadruple Heart Bypass Surgery and have not used any camera since. So, I am looking forward to getting out and doing more work with the camera shortly.

Like many including yourself, we are still waiting for a FF mirrorless camera that will allow mounting of our legacy lenses without changing lens mounts and allowing for scrolling when using the EVF (unlike the new Leica M240).

Rich

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:18 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.732 #10 · p.732 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much for the input Rich, and wish you a quick recovery from your surgery!

Indeed the XE1 looks very appealing to me and I'm looking seriously into getting one, despite the crop factor.

Jul 03, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • •
p.732 #11 · p.732 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thank you very much for the input Rich, and wish you a quick recovery from your surgery!

Indeed the XE1 looks very appealing to me and I'm looking seriously into getting one, despite the crop factor.

Edward,

Thank you. If you do decide to purchase a Fujifilm X-E1, then you may well decide to also purchase this grip and L bracket from Really Right Stuff:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BXE1-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BXE1-Set%3a-includes-Base-%2b-LPlate-%2b-Grip&key=it

The grip improves the handling of the camera dramatically especially with larger and heavier lenses. Additionally the L bracket aids in mounting the camera in horizontal or vertical orientation on an Arca Swiss Type QR clamp quickly and surely.

Rich

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:22 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.732 #12 · p.732 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks all!

Joe, the Nocti looks great. Especially like the one of your son. I would love to be able to play with one of those one day, very unique rendering

Gary, I really like how you've been using the Canon, the output looks great. I really like the flower and the birdhouse.

Edward, sorry to hear about your Leica troubles. I have quit and come back a couple of times, I can speak from experience . If you like the rangefinder way of shooting (which I prefer), sorry mate, you're stuck. If you could care less about rangefinder experience then the options are either Fuji or Sony. I had the Nex 5N with Leica glass. Images turned out great, very nice to have live view, swivel screen, etc. The ergonomics are what killed it for me. The Fuji looks very nice, have never used it. I think software is finally catching up with the sensor where it will probably be the best way of using M glass outside of a Leica. You will need to worry about red edges/corners, but will really have to with any system I believe outside of the GXR. For sensor quality and ergonomics I find the Fuji XE-1 as the most intriguing right now.

Took out my Canon 50 f/1.5 Sonnar, very pleased with the results. The lens is surprisingly sharp wide open dead center only at near to mid distance. Infinity isn't really usable until about f/4.

All shots below pretty much untouched, maybe a little change in exposure

wide open

f/2 - really sharpens up here

wide open

bonus - 35 Nokton II wide open from roughly same spot

I have a Zeiss C Sonnar on the way.....will do a little shootout with the CV, Zeiss and Canon

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:26 PM
eninety
• • •
p.732 #13 · p.732 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Hey guys, I was going to write up something but then realized with a bag full of 50mm LTM and M mount lenses, might as well just shoot something.

While it's nothing special, hopefully it gives some idea about the various lenses and their renderings. I shot a leafy backlit scene at 1m (images below) and also 1.5m, as well as an open shade scene at 1m.

I've posted images and download links to the full-rez files on my blog: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=217

Naturally this isn't near to being definitive and lacks a number of current 50mm lenses, such as the various Crons, Summarit,
...Show more

i kind of like the bokeh of the CV 50 1.5 vm. it seems less busy. the lux is obviously the best, but the planar just seems a bit harsh. but the color of the zeiss being slightly warmer lends its hand to this particular setting.

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 02:10 PM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:09 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.732 #14 · p.732 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, Ryan!

Gary, those Canon 50 1.4 ltm shots all look excellent, this lens is a keeper. It has some of the Nocti 1.0 rendering as well You only have one 50? Are you sure?

Sonnar fever continues! Ryan, congrats on the Canon 50/1.5! Excellent pics and its sharp at f/2! Nice comparison, shoot some portraits wide open for us? I'm considering one of these at some point. Looking forward to your shootout.

edwardkaraa wrote:
Anyhow, what in your opinion is the best current mirrorless body to use with the ZM glass? The GXR-M is not on the list because it has only 10 mp and is discontinued. How about the Fuji XE-1? Anyone has experience with this camera?

Edward, sorry to hear about that, but I guess Ryan is right, if you like RF, its hard to really shoot another system, but you probably need to check on your M(240) pre-order? Otherwise all other systems are a compromise for M glass other than the GXR. Maybe wait a few months and see what else is in store from Sony, Ricoh/Pentax. etc? Also is there a inherent focus shift on the ZM 85/2 Sonnar design?

naturephoto1 wrote:
... I have been down now for almost 6 weeks now due to my Quadruple Heart Bypass Surgery and have not used any camera since. So, I am looking forward to getting out and doing more work with the camera shortly.
Rich

Rich, rest well and hope you are able to go out and shoot shortly.. and take it easy with those telephoto R lenses of yours

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:10 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.732 #15 · p.732 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Ryan, Joe, Richard.

The Sonnar does not have any focus shift as confirmed by my own tests and Zeiss technician. I took my M9 along with the Sonnar to a local Leica lens technician, and he confirmed that the lens is back focusing on both my M9 and his well calibrated M9 that he uses for lens testing purposes. I left the lens with him to see what he can do, but this will take another 7 to 10 days.

The problem with RF is that it either works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't work, it is very frustrating. Let's see what the local Thai technician can do

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:34 PM
joakim
• • •
p.732 #16 · p.732 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Rich, I'll hope you'll have a speedy recovery. Take care.

Edward, I have the Sony NEX-6 and while it works really well with lenses like the new 24 Elmar and the 35 Summicron delivering really good IQ I do not bond with the user interface so I'll will probably let it go. That is of course a highly subjective opinion

Guys, very nice classic lens photos right now and it is really fun comparing all the different lenses. I'll continue this megatrend with two from the Canon 35/1.8 in b&w.

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:47 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.732 #17 · p.732 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Hey Adam. I have yet to unplug the charger when it reaches 80%. I usually plug in my battery before bed and unplug it in the morning. Actually, once I left it on the charger for two days by accident. When it reaches full charge, it goes in to idle/maintain mode. No worries - same deal as charging any battery.

That's what I've always done with all my batteries.. Honestly, I keep the D4 batteries on charge when not in use, and have never had issues (I can take thousands of shots on it). But it was weird to read in the manual that it's not advisable. So figured I'd ask to see why, maybe Leica uses inferior chargers. But glad to hear nobody's battery exploded

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:18 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.732 #18 · p.732 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I think I'm done with range finders. Got my 85/2 back from CLA today, wobble is gone, but back focusing has increased. Not blaming Zeiss service or Leica RF calibration, it's just that range finders are not accurate as a system. The lens is already with a local technician for another 10 days

I've been using the X-E1 with quite a lot of Leica and Zeiss glass.. It's really weird, some lenses really just don't pair well at all with the X-E1, and then others work great. It's not a focal length thing, as far as I know, but maybe it's where I stand with a certain lens on a crop sensor vs. where I would stand on full frame with the same lens??

Honestly, it's really hit or miss at this point, and if you get a X-E1, you might as well just buy the Zeiss fuji lenses, or the fuji lenses themselves, as the user experience (rangefinder focusing) is gone, so you'll end up just wanting autofocus. REALLY good lens is the new wide angle Zeiss Touit.

This is how I felt though, when I bought the X-E1, you might feel differently.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:24 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.732 #19 · p.732 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

eninety wrote:
i kind of like the bokeh of the CV 50 1.5 vm. it seems less busy. the lux is obviously the best, but the planar just seems a bit harsh. but the color of the zeiss being slightly warmer lends its hand to this particular setting.

I honestly find it really depends on the shooting distance. Wide open and close, I don't mind the CV 1.5 at all.. I just feel for an overall walk around lens in various situations, for various reasons the 50/2 planar is where I'd spend my money if I was in the market for a 50 and the 50lux was not an option.

Although in Ron's review shots, there is really nothing wrong with the CV 1.5, in fact if that's all you were using it for (close up, wide open), it's no slouch against the 50lux.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:30 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.732 #20 · p.732 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great shots guys, I miss so many pg.

Edward, that is a strong reaction I won't quite system for a single lens. If the Zeiss has no focus shift, but back focusing after service, it is the Zeiss the one to blame, not Leica

To me, M system is always about wide to standard length usage. The system perform great for manual focus and consistent with certain lens. It is shining for many things but suck for the others.

I feel the pain of you after so much hassle since get this 85mm,(I have similar experience with my 50lux) the challenge for long lens with M is not only how consistent lens itself but also you, that is frustrated part of this whole M tele-range shooting.

I personal had high interest in Fuji a while ago, but decide Sony is better sensor with better IQ at this point. I will choose Fuji only if want their native lens, which is great for the money. otherwise, I'd suggest you wait for nex-7N as a 2nd body to cover the shortcoming of M instead of dump it. It is so good and fun for what it is shining.

Just realize I haven't shoot M for a while. My 50lux is on the way back to me

Here are few more from 35cron V1 with M3. Trix400

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:57 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password