Allen - awesome shot! great composition

Charles, very nice with the 28 Cron. ISO 2500 looks excellent

28 Cron

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:03 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.730 #2 · p.730 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Excellent work from Ryan, Salvador, Allen, Charles!

Here are a few snapshots with the Planar 50 wide open at iso 1250. The light levels were very low so I was using shutter speeds in the 1/4 to 1/8 range. Being slightly inebriated, I forgot that I could increase the iso to 2500

M9 + Planar 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.730 #3 · p.730 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward, you did well...especially the 1st and 3rd. Looks great at 1250, I think 2500 would have been too much. The key with the M9 at this range is ETTR

Aug 14, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.730 #4 · p.730 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rsolti13, the key to high-ISO photography with the M9 is to use the "Shoot at ISO 640 and Push in Post" technique that has been discussed earlier in this thread and is discussed here.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Aug 14, 2013 at 06:52 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.730 #5 · p.730 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank guys
Ryan, I am really enjoying these shots, particularly the last shot!
Edward, very nice work with the low light! The ZM 50 does a great job, and the hidden gem of course is with the M9 that you can shoot at low shutter speeds, unimaginable with the RX1. I am lucky to get vibration free shots at 1/80s with the RX1, and is most likely my technique. I think you need a Nocti

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:35 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.730 #6 · p.730 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Fantastic shots everyone! I am truly excited to join you guys in this thread. I have noticed from the bit of reading I've done here, that you all seem to be such a nice cohesive group. I hope to add "something" to this!

My M-E arrived today and I fired off some test shots with my CV 28 1.9 on it. Working out the kinks - these are at all different ISO's and apertures. Wide open this lens is DEAD on with focus (whew - I am glad!). I do have a few questions/issues to ask, though.

1. There seems to be a few specs of dust on the sensor - do you guys just use a rocket blower to fix that? I've always been hesitant to clean a sensor, but have read the M9 line is prone to dust spots and it must be done.

2. Does anyone else have issues exporting files from LR4 with your "memory" running low? This is my first time other than exporting some gigantic TIFF files from film scans. It took 4 tries to get 11 files exported (downsized to 800 px).

3. When shooting (granted it IS 100 degrees F here) does the body tend to get warm? Like when you use your iphone for awhile and it gets warm to the touch? I don't recall my Fujis doing this...

Other than that - I am seriously impressed with this camera. I turned it on, ran through the menu and checked the functions and was shooting in about a minute and a half. Easy peasy ... I haven't even had to read the manual yet (and I had to get a BOOK, yes a book, for the stupid Fuji camera!!!).

Ok - on to the images:

This was at ISO 1000 shot wide open

uploading this one because of the heavy CA on the trees. is this normal?

the clarity of this one in LR was amazing ... hope it doesn't lose that look after export

Chopped her feet off - still getting used to parallax!

just my house

Aug 14, 2013 at 07:40 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.730 #7 · p.730 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

CONGRATS Katie!!!!! Good contributions and looking forward to more....

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:11 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.730 #8 · p.730 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Congratulations Katie! Welcome to the thread and I look forward to seeing more of your work. And yes, you are right that the contributors here are a great group of people.

Aug 14, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.730 #9 · p.730 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie. Congrats, I use a rocket blower to clean. The sensor doesnt seem to be any more of a dust magnet than any other camera I've own. But then again, I change lenses very carefully. I don't ever recall my camera getting "hot".
Edward, nice steady hands. Drinking and shooting is a special skill.
rsolti13, that VSCO slide film pack is something I want to eventually try. You may be angry at the VSCO ppl, but no doubt you've probably help them sell a few more copies

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.730 #10 · p.730 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A couple of B&W's....

21SEM - ISO3200

21SEM - ISO3200

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.730 #11 · p.730 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
Fantastic shots everyone! I am truly excited to join you guys in this thread. I have noticed from the bit of reading I've done here, that you all seem to be such a nice cohesive group. I hope to add "something" to this!

My M-E arrived today and I fired off some test shots with my CV 28 1.9 on it. Working out the kinks - these are at all different ISO's and apertures. Wide open this lens is DEAD on with focus (whew - I am glad!). I do have a few questions/issues to ask, though.

1. There seems
...Show more

Congrats Katie!

My guess is after a bit of use, you'll come across a few quirks. As I've said before, be sure it give yourself enough time to really get comfortable with it.

A real test for the rangefinder though is anything 50mm and longer, f/2 and faster.

1: I use a blower bulb first, then a sensor pen for stubborn spots. Then a blower again. If it seems that the spots are persistent, in that they move around with the sensor pen but aren't then blown away, I'll use the Dust-Aid Platinum 'sticky pad' to lift them off the sensor. So far I've been able to avoid wet cleanings, though the few times the camera has been looked at by Leica, they've always wet cleaned the sensor.

2: No, sorry, never had this problem. How much RAM is in your system? If you haven't restarted the computer recently, try that. You may have to buy more RAM to get it working more smoothly. Also wondering how large your image catalog is? I've found this can really bog things down. My solution has been to delete all previews, and it seems to help. But the best solution seems to be to create a separate catalog for each shoot.

3: Yes, I've noticed this, but typically only with longer, more intense shoots.

Purple fringing in tree branches (if that is what you meant): I fear this is a fairly common trait with Voigtlander lenses. Of course it's not just restricted to them, but seems to be most easily provoked. You can probably fix all or most of it in LR4 under the Lens Corrections section. Under the Color tab, play around with the defringe slider. I find around 3-5 usually works OK. Clicking the CA removal box might also help. As does stopping down somewhat rather than shooting at or near wide open.

Your images with it look good. The first one in particular has a feel to it I find is a typical signature from the M9 in terms of contrast/tonality and color.

Gary, wow, ISO 3200 looks great here. Love the tones and detail. The SEM rocks!
Ryan, thanks for the film effects samples. Seems the key to many of these is to crush the deep shadow values to black.
Edward, Charles - very nice!
Allen, love the arch image. Very dramatic. My mind is telling me this was at night, though the nature of the light in the foreground says it could be strong late day sidelight... and you used a red and polarizer to knick the sky to black... been awhile since I've been there.

Sorry for not commenting more... was away for a number of days with limited internet, but have gone through and added my 'likes.' Some photos to come soon, hopefully...

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.730 #12 · p.730 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Ron
Katie, congrats and welcome!!! Very nice set

1: Agree with Ron, the blower is best. For any oil related spots, and this seems to be relevant to a new M camera, I have just taken my M9/M9P to a local camera repair centre, where they can clean under a micro scope usually while you wait. I just have not been brave enough to do a wet clean!

2. I have always had a lot of fast RAM, and it is generally the cheapest upgrade so long as the processor has not max out.

3. Walking the streets in Bangkok, temp around 32degC, I have noticed the M9P did get very warm, more so than I expected.

Gary, awesome shots!!! Amazing B&W tones

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.730 #13 · p.730 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Wonderful images as ever on this thread (the expensive one, that sucks in new 'LeicaRF-philes' as it did me).

Gary - what atmospheric images of an amazing multi-storey building!

CharlesK - love the M240 results you are getting.

Congratulations Katie on your entry into the Leica M community!

I read your enquiring posts, and the excellent replies to which I could add nothing further.

I love these early shots especially the first and the dog with chopped paws

Sensor cleaning - I had an M8 that had some fairly persistent sensor dirt and in that sense it was more prevalent then on my Sony5N. I used a rocket blower but wasn't game to dry wet or sticky pad cleaning.

I have a Canon DSLR and love alt lenses, but it's been neglected a lot since Dec 12 when the M8 was added. I hope you love using a Leica RF as much as I have.

M8 with CV35 Nokton (the multicoat version)

L1011418 Valletta by smoothlennie, on Flickr

CV35_L1013154 by smoothlennie, on Flickr

L1011388 fusilier by smoothlennie, on Flickr

Aug 15, 2013 at 04:08 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.730 #14 · p.730 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rsolti, excellent set's and those presets work pretty well!

airfrogusmc, awesome shot and composition!

Charles, I dont want to know what the dog is thinking! Probably, oh boy the master got a new toy! The high ISO examples look very clean.

Edward, excellent ISO1250 samples from the M9!

Katie, congrats to the ME! Nice first samples and I am looking forward to many other pictures.

Gary, great pp and looks also like a nice location!

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:33 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.730 #15 · p.730 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Same summit as the last time and captured with M9P.

The way up was pretty fogy but it cleaned up in the early morning at about 4am.

some curios capricorns, vignette added via pp

yummy, dinner on the summit

Image 849610 not found at /ufiles/10/849610.jpg.

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:39 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.730 #16 · p.730 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

captured with M9P.

almost no reflections not bad I think

observing some wildlife

Edited on Aug 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM · View previous versions

Aug 15, 2013 at 07:43 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.730 #17 · p.730 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you very much Ryan, Charles, Jabber, Ron and Peter for the nice comments! Greatly appreciated!

Ryan, if I expose correctly, I can shoot iso 2500 on the M9 without a problem. Easier said than done
Charles, I was under the impression the RX1 was even more handholdable than the M9. As for the Nocti, that would be when I make my next big sale
Katie, you seem to have already mastered your new camera well. Great colors!
Gary, those would be great to be printed really large. Love the 2nd shot.
Lenticular, lovely images. Love the 3rd shot, and the 1st has great potential.
Peter, Fantastic images. Love them all!!!

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:01 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.730 #18 · p.730 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Peter: just...wow!!!

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:25 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.730 #19 · p.730 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks all! VSCO is fun to use

Katie - very nice! The two of the boy are excellent. Most Voigtlanders do have a tendency for the purple fringing, but the 28 f/1.9 and 28 f/2 are very bad at this. Should be mostly correctable in LR

Gary - I agree with Edward, would make for very nice prints. And at ISO 3200...very nice. What was the shutter on those? I really like the stars

lenticular - nice post, my favorite being the one of the boat. Neat with the water spraying

Peter - excellent posts...the pic of the food is jumping out of the screen. Every one of the shots though very nicely done

MM & 50 Nokton II

Voigtlander 35 Nokton II

Aug 15, 2013 at 08:27 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.730 #20 · p.730 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks sooo much airfrogusmc, Gary, Jabberwockt, rscheffler, charlesK, lenticular11, Peter, Edward and Ryan.

I hope to learn everyone's names soon, so I don't have to make noted of all these weird ID names!

Gary - Are those at Yellowstone? We were just there in June...

Peter - WOW is right! Spectacular shots. I don't know how you get that close to the wildlife - I had no luck when we were at Yellowstone (other than Bison).

Ryan - More VSCO? I used the film 01 set for my previous post. I like to use them as a starting point in my workflow...

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1       2       3              729      
       731              2354       2355       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              729      
       731              2354       2355       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.