1       2       3              728      
       730              1381       1382       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.729 #1 · p.729 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice shot Jabber!

My bottle of wine for this dinner and a very good friend. By the way, the wine was absolutely fantastic!

M9 Planar 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 Planar 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Aug 11, 2013 at 06:05 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.729 #2 · p.729 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks a lot for the comments and likes!

Regarding the post processing. I always try to get a natural look and therefore try to pp as less is possible. 80% of my images are finished within the RAW-Converter. Very frequently I use graduated neural density filters. My favored RAW-Converter is Capture One Pro, I love it for it's colors and native sharpness, I tried all the other common options and always came back to Capture One Pro. First I check the wb, but to my surprise the M9P gets it most right. Then I make an s-courve with suits the picture, followed by shadow adjustment via the (I don't know the english words) RGB window, I adjust each color channel for it self, followed by adjusting the highlights in same window but all three colors together. If I have a picture with a lot fine-tender-nuances together with some early morning mist, then I never use any clarity! With normal lighting doing the day I always look how clarity looks like, but never more then 15, if it dose fit I'll use it. Within Capture One Pro I never apply sharpness, the native sharpness with Leica is for my needs most of the times just right. I convert them in 16bit tifs and open them in Photo Shop to have a second look. If some areas still look dull I adjust them locally. But what I have seen so far, the contrast delivered by the Leica lenses it self looks very often good enough for my taste. The pictures I made with Nikon lenses needed more selective touches. Then I resize them, when I think they need some minor sharpening, I change to Lab-Colors go to the channel palette and sharpen only the luminance via selective sharpening. For the frames I made for each lens a action which place them in the Miranda folder. I know, not a very fancy technique at all.....

Aug 11, 2013 at 07:22 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.729 #3 · p.729 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, they actually made in Austria, all the pictures (except the lake pictures) are made close to the "grosser Ahornboden" which is located in the mountain range Karwendel. A very beautiful but strong frequented area, luckily not to the times I am out. From Munich it is one way 110KM to the "grosser Ahornboden"

Edward, glad you liked the wine! I am not so much a wine person, but every now and then my friends make a wine taste evening. They have large books which describe all the grapes from all the areas over the world they also cover the specific season! Well this is always to funny..... . If it is for me, just give me a good Scottish Single Malt Whiskey and I'am happy!

Aug 11, 2013 at 07:34 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.729 #4 · p.729 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Peter. I'm not a wine connoisseur and I usually dislike all the hype and mysticism about wine. I don't need to know when was a good year or which domaine is famous, but I can simply appreciate a good wine when I'm served one Like you I would rather enjoy a good single malt whiskey

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.729 #5 · p.729 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Mitch, no presets for those two. I don't use any presets in Lightroom apart from for input sharpening.
Peter, fantastic photos.
Jabber, nice shot.
Edward, looks like a nice evening.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.729 #6 · p.729 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Joakim and Edward
Joakim, love the last shot!
Mitch, nice low light series
Peter, awesome shots, and just love the PP'ing. Great work with the 90 Cron. Agree that C1 Pro is still best for PP'ing the DNG files. More so, I am envious of the fantastic country you are hiking within!!

Mitch Alland wrote:
Charles, what are you using for processing the M240 files? Some people on LUF have been writing about making dual-illuminant camera profiles created with a Gretag-Macbeth Color Checker 24-patch chart and Adobe DNG Profile Editor 1.04, and one of the states that it took three or four attempts to get the chart shots right.

óMitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

I had originally tried the Camera Color Checker 24 patch for the M9 when it first came out, as did many others here. I had profiles in 4 different types of lighting, and instead I used C1 Pro as the preferred RAW engine processor. The colors were better, and there were inconsistencies using the Color Checker profiles. Of course this was resolved as Leica and Adobe evolved in a very workable package with firmware and software upgrades.

I am aware there is a new beta firmware being presently tested for the new M240, and it will address a lot of the WB issues, as well as a number of others.

Edward, very nice shots with the ZM 50 Plannar.
Thanks, and the colors are different that usual. The colors of the mid afternoon beach scene is looking South, so it tends to blue/cyan at that time. Personally I prefer warmer tones, but I left them as is just for this series. The colors are very rich in tones and graduation, straight from the M240. It is definitely a marked improvement over the M9, but of course color profiles will have evolve again with firmware update..soon, and Lr/PS algorithms.

Adam, I have not tried the 28 Cron yet on the M240, as I usually go for the 50mm FL first. If I opt for a WA, I usually just pick up the 24 Lux now, rather messing with too many lenses. The 28 Cron I love using it with a red filter with the Monochrome, as it is light, no external VF needed and it renders great in B&W. I have to try it out more, but I have found in the past the 28 Cron works better in low light or flatter lighting with the M9. I have always loved the rendering of the 28's for B&W, both the Elmarit and Cron.

Edited on Aug 12, 2013 at 06:55 AM · View previous versions

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM
salvaz
• •
p.729 #7 · p.729 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Jabbar, loved your image, Leica and Venice just go together.
Peter, I canít climb mountains anymore but I will just sit back and enjoy the "grosser Ahornboden" through your eyes and the M9-P.
Edward, if you ever come to California and want to experience the winery scene, try the area around Paso Robles instead of Napa Valley. It is what Napa was in the 70ís, half way between LA and San Francisco. My wife is wine club member of several of the wineries.

LA Art District murals

LA Art District murals

LA MOCA

Learning to shoot portrait mode

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:21 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.729 #8 · p.729 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Salvador, thanks for the kind words and welcome to the thread!

Nice set of pictures, I also enjoyed the pictures from the museum!

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:32 AM
seekuh
• •
p.729 #9 · p.729 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

muc_marlin wrote:
Thanks a lot for the comments and likes!

Regarding the post processing. I always try to get a natural look and therefore try to pp as less is possible. 80% of my images are finished within the RAW-Converter. Very frequently I use graduated neural density filters. My favored RAW-Converter is Capture One Pro, I love it for it's colors and native sharpness, I tried all the other common options and always came back to Capture One Pro. First I check the wb, but to my surprise the M9P gets it most right. Then I make an s-courve with suits the picture,
...Show more

Peter, thank you very much for this detailed explanation. Very interesting because I love the outcome of your PP a lot.

Aug 12, 2013 at 07:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.729 #10 · p.729 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Charles, Joakim and Salvador for the kind comments, and Salvador, thank you also for the recommendation about Paso Robles. Your last set is quite nice especially the 1st and last shots.

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rsolti13
• • • •
p.729 #11 · p.729 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Peter - the images on the last 2 pages are just brilliant . The self portrait of course is my favorite

more with the VSCO slide film pack...don't remember which setting used on which photo . All with the 28 Cron

Aug 12, 2013 at 01:55 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.729 #12 · p.729 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

^nice work with VSCO rsolti . A friend of mine purchased one of their sets and I tried fiddling with it on his comp but I couldn't get it to my liking. I like your approach though, especially last two.

Another pic from the last hike. I hope to get lucky and revisit this place on a foggy day.

Aug 12, 2013 at 02:07 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.729 #13 · p.729 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Wow, I am really overwhelmed by the resonance of the last set of pictures! Thanks a lot.....

rsolti, I never heard of that presets, but looks like fun to experiment with it! For me personal the last works the best. It would be very interesting to see one picture with different presets, maybe this would make it easier to find out which preset work for certain motives?

rirakuma, very interesting trunk! Some fog would bring certainly a lot of atmosphere.

Aug 12, 2013 at 08:31 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.729 #14 · p.729 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ryan, just love these shots with the VSCO presets! My preference has always been slide film for the rich deep colors, 1/3 underexposure and mild over development in the tank
Rocky, very nicely captured and PP'd! It is so hard in the Australian bush, to find any soft lighting, as it is always so harsh. Of course it is best when there is light rain or fog to soften the lighting

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.729 #15 · p.729 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

21SEM

90cron pre-AA

Aug 13, 2013 at 03:38 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.729 #16 · p.729 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ryan, I really like your photos with the VSOC profiles. They do look genuinely like slide film.
Rirakuma, that shot is a torture test for your lens and sensor, but it came out really well.
Gary, great architecture shot. Love the balance, symmetry and grey tones.

Aug 13, 2013 at 04:49 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.729 #17 · p.729 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks guys

Rocky, I would love to see more from the forest, very nice. Fog would be nice to have for that trunk

Gary, I really like the second shot, colors look great

more with the 28 Cron

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.729 #18 · p.729 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Guys didn't finish editing the horse photos before my Phuket trip snuck up on me. Will post a lot of APO shots when I'm back. Seems to mostly be on my camera the last few days.
Charles, when you get a chance to use it, let me know. But I get where you're coming from.. The 28 does produce some good bw files.

Aug 13, 2013 at 06:18 PM
salvaz
• •
p.729 #19 · p.729 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I am really enjoying the images with the 28 cron, a very strong contender for my next lens. A few from downtown LA, I like testing the iso and white balance at the Grand Central Market.

Grand Central Market

Grand Central Market

Grand Park and City Hall

Grand Park

Shop girl in Hollywood

Aug 13, 2013 at 07:17 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.729 #20 · p.729 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1       2       3              728