FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              726      
       728              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

salvaz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.727 #1 · p.727 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I am using the Leica 50mm Lux. I was concern to shoot in low light but the M9 has
met my needs at 640 or 800 ISO.

Aug 09, 2013 at 11:08 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.727 #2 · p.727 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice Sal, looking forward to see more pics from you

Here's a couple from the last hike, the sun was really harsh that day and I didn't have enough time to look for a better composition but here's what I could get.

Aug 09, 2013 at 11:56 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.727 #3 · p.727 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you very much Edward, Ron and Ryan and for all the likes
Ryan, not married yet, and we will probably elope to Koh Samui and spend a week relaxing on a beach!
Mitch, thanks for sharing your PP'ing workflow. Very nice series!
Gary, love the detail in the shot! The 21 SEM is amazing lens.
Michael, beautifully rendered shots!
Ryan, very nice! Similar to Adam's experience, the VSCO film pack can be very difficult to use in practice, and I tend to revert back to Lr5/PS6 or C1 Pro. I find Color Effex Pro or Exposure 5 better.
Sal, congratulations and welcome! Very nice) Very moving story too, and I'm so glad that you can still share your passion. I have the RX1R too, and I still pick up the M-M/M240 in preference for shots. The RX1/RX1R has a fantastic sensor, but I just love the M style of RF composing and taking shots.
Rocky, beautiful images!

Shot last night at Broadbeach with the M240 75 Lux 3200 ISO

Edited on Aug 10, 2013 at 01:11 AM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.727 #4 · p.727 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Salvador, welcome to the forum. Great start!

rirakuma, first one is excellent!

Charles, that should be fun. 3200 doesn't look to bad with the M

Adam...for you. Took some pics I hadn't edited yet, just clicked on some of the slide pre-sets and nothing else. I will say, this pack is not meant for harsh light. Not a single one of these will work for harsh light unless you want extreme contrast. This pack though is EXCELLENT for just your average walk around town. Portraits, forget about it. I tried about 10 portraits and only one had the right mix of lighting and all where it turned out decent

only portrait I liked...but I must admit, I love it compared to what I had before the preset

Fuji Astia 100 Portrait

Fuji Fortia

Fuji Provia

Fuji Velvia

Kodak E200

Kodak E100G

Agfa Scala

First thing that comes to mind with this preset pack....hard core

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.727 #5 · p.727 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Continuing with the night shots from last night: all except the last picture below are taken in Taniya Road, which is the major Japanese entertainment area in the Bangkok CBD, with Japanese restaurants on the ground floor and small hostess bars stacked in six storey buildings like in Ginza, although certain aspects of the operation are not like in Japan. The difficulty of photographing that the young women standing in the street to invite Japanese customers to their bars is that they usually don't want to be photographed, which means that you often end up photographing the brightly lit signs, and for that perhaps it's better to use a 28mm rather than a 21mm lens.

All shot with the Elmarit-21 ASPH:

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:37 AM
salvaz
• •
p.727 #6 · p.727 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I really enjoy museums and it is good opportunity to learn to shoot without flash.

Norton Simon Museum

Norton Simon Museum

Norton Simon Museum

Los Angeles MOCA

Los Angeles MOCA

Aug 10, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.727 #7 · p.727 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
I'm so angry at VSCO, I wrote them a nasty letter. I've bought all their presets, but the latest one (just before this slide films one) was complete crap. Makes any images I run through the presets look ridiculous, but yet there samples look great. Upon emailing them they did nothing to rectify the situation. So I'm protesting the new preset pack

Anybody else feel the same way?

Well, they might use actual film for some pics. Plus they might be using images that are tweaked before applying presets. Or tweaked presets. A lot of options actually.

I thought they have trial or something, or they didnt?

I tried some of their creations (02 I think) and its "ok-ish" but lacks films I like so no money from me, but its not bad base for some further tweaking. I think whole VSCO is really limited by being just presets.

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.727 #8 · p.727 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

A couple of random kid pics from the last few weeks...

21SEM (tired from hiking)

50cron V4

21SEM

Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 ltm

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:47 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.727 #9 · p.727 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Salvador, welcome to the forum. Great start!

rirakuma, first one is excellent!

Charles, that should be fun. 3200 doesn't look to bad with the M

Adam...for you. Took some pics I hadn't edited yet, just clicked on some of the slide pre-sets and nothing else. I will say, this pack is not meant for harsh light. Not a single one of these will work for harsh light unless you want extreme contrast. This pack though is EXCELLENT for just your average walk around town. Portraits, forget about it. I tried about 10 portraits and only one had the right mix of lighting and
...Show more

Thanks a lot for posting samples so quickly. Yes they seem hard core. I think there are a few that I can use. Will give it some thought though, as out of principle I shouldn't buy :|
the fire hydrant shot's really nice, and the portrait of your daughter, although I can see what you mean when you say no harsh light.

Mescalamba - You are probably right.. What's to stop them from deceiving us, although thus far I've had a decent experience with there presets. Sometimes I use them as a starting line, since I don't know what I want to to with the images before hand.. And sometimes the image just doesn't work with any of there presets, and I do my own thing to it.

Mitch and Gary, some nice shots.

Aug 10, 2013 at 05:56 AM
joakim
• • • •
p.727 #10 · p.727 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Me and my wife has just spent a 11 day long vacation on the Shetland Islands and I brought my M9 (of course) and a batch of lenses: CV 15/4.5, ZM 18 Distagon, 24 Elmarit ASPH, 28 Summicron, 35 Summilux ASPH, 50 Summilux ASPH and the 90 Elmarit.

Here is a first set from the surrondings of a small village named Weisdale. First two are with the 50 Summilux then 90 Elmarit and 35 Summilux.

Aug 10, 2013 at 07:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.727 #11 · p.727 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Salvador, nice work, especially the museum set.
Riakuma, both look good, but I like the 1st one more.
Charles, gorgeous colors!
Ryan, thanks for the photo samples. They do look a bit too contrasty but I can see the potential. The portrait of your daughter has especially nice rendering.
Mitch, well captured night life scenes at Thaniya.
Gary, the 1st shot is my favourite.
Joakim, excellent set, beautiful colors and nicely composed.

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:04 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.727 #12 · p.727 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

My nephews:

M9 Biogon 35 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 Planar 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 Sonnar 85 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:45 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.727 #13 · p.727 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti - thanks for posting those samples. I've never heard of VSCO till now and I really like that Fortia preset, will look into it.
Mitch - nice colors as usual
Sal - lovely pics, very smooth. Looking forward to see more from you
Gary - very nice samples with the 21 SEM, one of my dream lens!
Joakim - very nice shots, I really like the first and third
Edward - lovely sonnar pics, I still can't get over how sharp that lens is!

Went out with a few mates today watching them eating "the worlds hottest burger" at a place near Wellington Point. You have to sign a waiver before eating the burger and they will give you gloves so you don't burn your hands. If you finish the burger within their rules your name goes up on the wall of fame. Here's a pic of his reaction

Aug 10, 2013 at 03:55 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.727 #14 · p.727 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great capture rirakuma!

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:03 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.727 #15 · p.727 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

You can see the pain on his face

Very nice shot rirakuma! And thanks for your comment. Indeed the Sonnar is very sharp from wide open, without being harsh. Excellent for portraits.

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:06 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.727 #16 · p.727 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

^^This is funny" good humor in face
Edward, Great kids portrait. I can count eye slash.
Joakim, Nice set! the 3rd one is really beautiful.
Ryan, the preset looks great. I might get it. as for set03, I assume you can't just direct apply it but it give you interesting start point for edit for certain images.
Salvador, your M9 set have some personal signature in it. I enjoy them.

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:12 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.727 #17 · p.727 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi guys.. Spent the day photographing horses, and have come to the conclusion that I love the 50 APO almost as much as I loved my 50 MP ZE... I think there are pros and cons to both, and if I had the time I'd show you much better side by side examples. Basically I shot the same polo club in similar lighting conditions (same time of day, same type of day as before), same area etc. Browsed through the 50MP images from a couple of years back, and browsed the 50APO shots, and I must say I'm really quite impressed with the 50APO, I find it's really a nice lens for the type of shots I like to take. When I get back from holidays I think I'll do the same route with the 50Lux and see how I feel, and if I have the opportunity maybe I'll buy the 50/2 ZM and go one more round.

Anyway, really all just my opinion but here goes:

50 MP ZE/ZF.2/etc (On a 5DII)
Pros - Can do macro, micro-contrast, nicer colors (a bit subjective).

Cons - Big, sometimes the bokeh is much worse then what I'd like. When the bokeh is good, it's still worse then 50APO (but not by much [not including macro-bokeh]).

50APO
Pros - very compact, sharper by a bit. Colors really come out once you correct the M240's horrid auto white balance. Almost always has very pleasing bokeh, even in hard situations.

Cons - Price, .7m minium focusing, harder to focus (subjective).

Honestly, really happy with my walk today. Took 800+ images (battery was 76% still). Also took one video, and damn I think the 50APO is to sharp sometimes, made the ponies look really crazy.

I've been bogged down by work, so haven't had the chance to edit any.. But edited one that sort of resembled a photo I took ages ago. I reprocessed both of them the same way (mpze and apo), to be fair I processed the MPZE image, and then just did a sync for the two APO images.. But have a look.

First some of you might remember from the ZE forum

M240 50APO @ f/2

M240 50APO @ f/2

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:37 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.727 #18 · p.727 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rirakuma - haha, nice capture!

zhangyue - cool set, love #3

edwardkaraa - #3 must be the 85 Sonnar

Aug 10, 2013 at 04:44 PM
salvaz
• •
p.727 #19 · p.727 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind comments.

Mitch- I always enjoy your night street life images and I have been practicing your “shoot at ISO 640 and push in post”. I also like to see your wide-angle photos as I contemplate which lens I will add one day.

Charles- I have enjoyed your images since the beginning pages of this thread and your announcement of your new M9. This goes back to the days of phiber, Paul Yi and denoir (the image of the old Volvo coupe stayed with me for a long time) were strong contributors here.

joakim- Sweden appears to be a great place for photographers with a great city like Stockholm along with the small towns. And the natural sunlight which has that rich glow, tailor-made for the Leica sensor.

rirakuma- When I first saw the image of your mate, I thought he was a very neat guy with the gloves until I read the post. I am Hispanic and that burger scares me.

I also love gardens and never thought that the 50mm would be a good landscape lens but when that is all you have.

Descanso Gardens

Arlington Gardens in Pasadena

Japanese Garden in Van Nuys

M9 Digital Camera    Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/11.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

M9 Digital Camera    Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/11.0    1/250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

M9 Digital Camera    Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. lens    50mm    f/11.0    1/180s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 11, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.727 #20 · p.727 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

salvaz wrote:
...Mitch- I always enjoy your night street life images and I have been practicing your “shoot at ISO 640 and push in post”. I also like to see your wide-angle photos as I contemplate which lens I will add one day...

salvaz, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I like the 21mm lens and am using it more and more, particularly when I want to shoot very close to the subject, which gives a very different feeling than shooting from further away with a 50mm or even a 28mm lens.

I've been thinking about the use of the 21mm: basically, it seems to me there are two ways to use it: one is to give the photo a real super-wide angle depth by let the perspective go deep in the image; the other way is to close off the back plane of the image, so that the wide angle feeling is minimized. I'll repeat a few pictures posted earlier to illustrate the second point. In No. 1 the depth is cut off by the darkness; also, it's taken from a distance of about 1.75m at 1/45 sec (f/2.8) while walking toward the subject, which accounts for the motion blur, and there is some bokeh as well. This is a "no finder shot": I held the camera at chest level without bringing it up to my eye to frame because I didn't want the subject suddenly to look at me. Incidentally, this picture got a lot of views on flickr: 3,000 in 24 hours, compared to the 120-150 views that I usually get.

In No. 2, the back plane is closed off so that one can see the background is simply the other side of the street, which doesn't have a super-wide feel to it, while in No. 3, because it's framed not parallel to the other side of the street, looks like it's taken in a square and does have a wide angle feel to it.

Similarly, in No. 4, the boat in the back cuts off the back plane so that I feel the picture essentially does not have a "lensy" feeling of space, despite the sharp angle of the opposite bank of the river.

On shoot street photography at night: I mentioned earlier that I was surprised how good the colors are when shooting with fluorescent lighting. On another forum, Charles Peterson, a photographer whose work I like, wrote, " I love shooting under fluorescent tubes! Not so much the spiral fluorescents made to replace household bulbs. But tubes are real nice. It's why the film industry uses them so much (Kino-flos). And I love un or under correcting the wb when the subject suits it. Check out Jonas Bendikson's work on the ex-Soviet Union satellite countries. Most shot on slide film, and it makes you really see how to use un-corrected light sources to the benefit of the image's storytelling. Like I've always said, shoot the M9 like it's full of slide film.." Sometimes, I even like how the fluorescent tubes themselves look, as in No 5:

No. 1 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Bangkok

No. 2 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 3 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 4 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 5 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny