Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              724      
       726              1079       1080       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.725 #1 · p.725 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 + Zeiss 25 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:13 PM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.725 #2 · p.725 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, I agree with Joe that the Sonnar's less "perfect" rendering has some advantages when compared to the Lux.

Here are a few images with the Canon 35 f/1.8 LTM, all shot wide open and I've been moderate with PP'ing. Far from perfect I can easily see the fun in using lenses like this. I've only used it once now but it seem to behave best at close distance. Stepped down this lens gets much sharper already at 2.8 although the corners are still soft at 5.6 but I guess for a lens like this that doesn't matter much.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:15 PM
joakim
• • •
p.725 #3 · p.725 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, that's a very nice portrait where you made good use of the focal length

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:18 PM
najibs
• • •
p.725 #4 · p.725 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

FYI, for those interested I've posted some shots taken with the new Leica X Vario in here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1222779

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:20 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.725 #5 · p.725 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Joe. The Sonnar has a smoothness to it that is quite nice. I've noticed it can work quite well with foliage, as evidenced by the last image above, though sometimes it verges on being close to a digital-plasticky look. The Lux ASPH though is by far much sharper.

Edward - very nice! (what are the two vertical lines in the middle of the frame - wires?)

Joakim - looks great! I like the rendering of the first two in particular. Seems quite similar to the 35/2.

Thanks for the link Najibs. I happened upon it last night and like your samples. While the lens is slow and subject separation suffers as a result, the lens's background rendering is quite smooth. Perhaps smoother than many other lenses in this class and might help somewhat offset the inability to reduce depth of field. I guess it's a matter of finding the right ratio of camera to subject to background distances.

More from the Zeiss-Opton Sonnar. An image where I thought the lens rendered the lilac leaves very smoothly:

And some images showing off the Sonnar presence:

Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 05:29 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:22 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.725 #6 · p.725 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
I am enjoying my M240 today.

Joe, I am glad to hear you enjoy your M240. Because that is all that count. I am not so happy with 6D I am still trying to make it works for me as I love all the things with it but IQ. Now, all my attention is find myself next DSLR to work with before I am into M240. My m kit is not growing for a while. I know the M240 with some new M lens will be overwhelming to me.

Ron, Nice illustration of Sonnar. I seem prefer all landscape type shot by latest lens. But for portrait, that is different story. What is the difference between yours and Joe's sonnar?

Joakim, the first 28mm shot looks great.

Adam, living/school in south China for a while, I am not surprised to hear you get problem with storage of old lens.

Here are some photos with 50lux (first two) and 35cron V1:

WO at night

WO

35cron V1

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:23 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.725 #7 · p.725 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Edward, that's a very nice portrait where you made good use of the focal length

Thank you Joakim. I was surprised about the rather mild perspective up close.

By the way, I'm really out of words for the highly inspiring and top level photography in this thread. You guys all rock!

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.725 #8 · p.725 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, superb portrait. Such a beautiful color.
Ron, the Bokeh indeed reminde me my modern sonnar. I bet it has very poor coma performance from the look of highlight.
Joakim, the last shot is very interesting. I love the effect, the sweet point of that lens seems very small, but at this distance have that effect in 1024 size is very rare to me.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:40 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.725 #9 · p.725 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you very much Zhangyue. Love the portrait of your son in the last set. Light, contrast, colors and expression are all outstanding.

Here's another one from last weekend:

M9 + Zeiss 35 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.725 #10 · p.725 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Seems we all posted at similar times.

Michael, my Sonnar is a Zeiss-Opton, meaning it was made in West Germany after WWII. I'd need to research its age, perhaps based on serial number, but I guess it's from sometime in the 1950s. Joe's is a pre-WWII uncoated lens. I'm not sure if there were any significant optical changes to the design, but the major difference was the use of lens coatings after WWII. My lens has Zeiss 'T' coating, which I guess is the precursor to the current T* coatings. Looking at the optics and one would think it was a modern lens compared to some other single-coated lenses from the 50s-60s with the predominance of a single coating color, like blue or amber. To complicate matters, after WWII Zeiss-Jena in East Germany also produced Sonnars... Jena was the original home of Zeiss, but after WWII it was broken up with many of the people ending up in West Germany but the factory and machinery/tooling and some parts being taken over by the Soviets, who apparently moved a lot of that back to the USSR and was the basis for the Kiev cameras/lenses, which from my understanding, are lower-grade knockoffs of the Zeiss designs. Apparently there are also 'fake' Zeiss Sonnars, which Joe might be able to better clarify. Here's a link: http://taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Zeiss_Fakes.html

Very nice images. You seem to use the 35 Cron as your daily-use lens. I really like the second image.
Edward - looks good! I agree, this thread greatly benefits from many talented photographers.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

muc_marlin
• •
p.725 #11 · p.725 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

It is not easy to keep up the speed with you guys...

Captured with M9P

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.725 #12 · p.725 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Peter. I really like #2!

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.725 #13 · p.725 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, that looks like Savannah. Are you in town or here recently?

You guys and your toys....Ron and Joe, those lenses look like a ton of fun. Maybe I will give some of these oldies a shot.....because I'M BACK! I got tired of trying to use systems to save money. The rangefinder is the one true love for me

First lens I got in the mail is my old favorite 35....Nokton II

Wide open test and 100% crop.....I think its a good copy

100% crop

wide open

100% crop

Shot of the girl before bed, wide open

It sure feels good to be back with my old friend

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:55 AM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.725 #14 · p.725 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hi guys/girls (are there girls?) .

Breaking in my new 75 APO Summicron ASPH on my M9:

Local wildflowers near my work over a fenceline at railroad tracks. Beauty is everywhere.

Jun 27, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.725 #15 · p.725 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Awesome Ryan! I knew you would eventually come around. Did you pick up another M9?

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:27 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.725 #16 · p.725 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, excellent portrait and colors with the ZM25. Alos like the ZM35 shot and your signature Zeiss contrast and colors
Joakim, excellent set with the Canon 35/1.8ltm, really like composition and rendering on #2 shot a lot, this lens draws beautifully.
Najibs, X-vario looks good, nice samples.
Ron, another excellent showcase of the 5cm 1.5 Sonnar! I think with well composed images like that, does sharpness really matter? The foliage shot actually looks nice to me and I especially like #2 with the background rendering looking like "flames". These Sonnars are really smooth looking and I see the same characteristics in my prewar versions.
Michael, very nice set and I love the 2nd shot with the 50Lux ASPH, excellent. Curious why you switched to the Canon 6D instead of staying with a D800E/D700 combo? You would have to change all the adapters from Nikon to Canon now?
Peter, excellent set. #1 is my favorite from this set. How do you like your digital M setup so far?
Ryan!! Seems like you can't walk away from this thread? Welcome *home* and hope you stay longer this time round! Not sure if its you or Phil who currently holds the record for most Leica thread comebacks? Excellent set with your CV 35 1.2 II. I think you asked me before and I really like the rendering and sharpness of this lens, only thing holding me back right now is the size and weight. So what lenses are you going for this time round?
Doug, congrats on your 75Cron! Nice shot.

------
Last day of preschool and older kids graduating to kindergarten this coming fall.

UC-Hex 35/2

ZM50P

90Tele-E (pushed 1 stop in LR5)

I find it hard to pair my ZM50P with some of my other older Leica lenses. The Zeiss has so much pop and contrast. Also had all sorts of EVF and *typical* digital Leica issues this morning - very low light levels and and my Oly EVF was erratic, at times showing scan lines (blade-runner?) and it also froze on one occasion. Not sure if shooting high ISO was taxing the processor too much, but otherwise the high ISO files seem decent - grainy but still quite usable.

Jun 27, 2013 at 03:53 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.725 #17 · p.725 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Looks like the kids had a fun time Joe. I will be trying the same tomorrow at my kids school but may just bring the D700.

A few from this afternoon....

35cron asph

35cron asph

180/3.4 APO Tely-T R

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:13 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.725 #18 · p.725 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, look like its drying up pretty nicely up where you are. Excellent set, #3 and 4 are my favorites. How do you like the 180/3.4?

Jun 27, 2013 at 04:19 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.725 #19 · p.725 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Peter, looks good! #2 is a very interesting tree!
Ryan, I was wondering when we'd see you again after you posted the WTB M9 ad. Great set and welcome back! Reminds me I haven't been giving the CV35 much love lately...
Doug, congrats! Looks like a keeper - looking forward to more from a lens that is under represented here.
Joe, very nice. Careful not to scratch up that collector's lens. I wonder if your EVF has been bumped a few times? It's only a guess, but the EVF for my GXR went flaky with a very posterized image and lately is pretty much unusable. I think it was because I left it on the camera whenever I'd toss it in an unpadded bag and it got bumped around a lot. I'd need to try a second one to be sure it's the EVF and not the camera. Wonder if it's worth trying another Oly EVF?
Very nice Gary, the 180 looks great. It's a lens I'd like to find eventually.

More with the Zeiss-Opton 50/1.5 Sonnar, all wide open:

I was out again with the Sonnar today, with what was supposed to be quick errands run, turned into a 3 hour walk. I tried some shots in the woods, down paths, etc. and I'm not sure I really like the Sonnar's rendering for these kinds of scenes at 30-50 feet. There's a lot of unevenness of focus, etc. Where I'm happier with the lens (wide open) is working closer to MFD with good subject/background separation. Also at infinity it has a nice quality...

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:17 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.725 #20 · p.725 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Ron, Joe for your comments!

Peter, another strong nature set. Favourite is 2.

Rsolti, very lovely family portrait.

Doug, beautiful vibrant colors.

Joe, the second shot stands out. Looks like they're having fun!

Gary, very nice set, but I really like the last shot in b/w.

Ron, love the color and the OOF rendering of the Sonnar.

Jun 27, 2013 at 07:27 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password