Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              723      
       725              940       941       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

adamdewilde
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.724 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Neat shots Ron. I like the more greener ones near the top for that lens. And yes, it really does suck (the haze), it was better yesterday, but today it started getting a bit thick in the evening. Hopefully it clears up soon as my wedding is a little over two weeks away!

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:47 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.724 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Adam, Yes, the lens works well in those situations and is a bit calmer looking. BTW, I saw someone posted a WTB Leica M ad in the GetDPI B&S and found a seller within a day. Not sure how much of a premium he had to pay... also might be difficult with you not being in the USA.

Michael - GAS has been at play this month, for sure! But the M mount does mean there are a lot of great lens options worth trying! Nice moment - she certainly does seem to be captivated by you, the camera, or something!

WeeSin - thanks for the additional info. It's something I also noticed with Jono Slack's early M240 & 28 Cron sample images.

Joe - the lens is pretty sharp, especially at nearer distances. But wide open sharpness is very central. Not having the benefit of live view, I'm not sure if it's simply a matter of field curvature and thus finding the actual plane of focus for off-center compositions. Where I'm having some trouble with the lens is focus shift and making appropriate mental adjustments to the rangefinder focus. It seems my lens is f/2.8 optimized and shooting wide open results in front focus. Towards infinity I can set the lens on infinity and focus will be OK between f/1.5-2.8, though the technical quality of infinity images in this aperture range aren't that great. At around f/4 and higher, I've found it's critical to RF focus the lens even if the point of focus is many hundreds of feet/meters away. Simply setting to infinity here results in slightly softer images, as though focus shift continues. Might be too that the Amedeo adapter has some leeway?

f/1.5 through f/4:

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:53 PM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.724 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, I agree for wide open, its best used at closer distances. Sharpness is also very central and with a small sweet spot. For infinity use, best is to stop down. Two samples below, both at the infinity stop on the Amadeo adapter and cross checked using EVF. Maybe it is not reaching infinity wide open?

f/1.5 It looks OK at this resolution

f/4

center crop
f/1.5

f/4

Two more samples, focus was between the O and R of "FORD"
f/1.5

f/5.6

Jun 25, 2013 at 06:41 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.724 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
I start confusing about what lens you guys have right now. Canon, Zeiss, Nikkor...

Michael, I haven't had as much fun with a new camera for a long since getting a M240. My RX1 gets almost no use, my Ricoh GR sits unused and if its not for how the Monochrom renders older lenses and perform at ISO10,000 it would be hard to put down my M240. Live view really opens up new avenues for all types of lenses without needing another camera (compromised APS-C or heavy DSLR). The other option is to wait for a Sony or other FF Mirrorless solution but even then, we don't know if they will have the right micro-lenses for wide RF lenses? I bought a NEX7 when launched and was really disappointed with how my M lenses were soulless on the crop sensor Also as many have experienced themselves, corners can be really poor even with 28 or 35mm lenses. So somehow I think the holy grail FF mirrorless solution many are hoping for is still a few generations away? While some are not happy with the M240 for whatever reasons (AutoWB , colors, high ISO not as good as Sony, no off center zoom for LV (I was also skeptical but found that its not as bad as I though it was), etc etc. I am enjoying my M240 today. That being said, the M9 is still a very relevant camera and if I didn't have the M240, I would still be happy shooting with a M9.

Also with no disrespect to others here, its all about risk and rewards, the earlier you pre-order a Leica M, the earlier you get one. If you ordered yesterday or wanted to wait until you see more samples online, don't expect one delivered tomorrow unless you are very lucky, have a great relationship with your dealer or pay extra for it. I mentioned in the past, I ordered my M(240) before the camera was launched and there was already a wait list. This is after all, Leica.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:03 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.724 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Michael, I haven't had as much fun with a new camera for a long since getting a M240. My RX1 gets almost no use, my Ricoh GR sits unused and if its not for how the Monochrom renders older lenses and perform at ISO10,000 it would be hard to put down my M240. Live view really opens up new avenues for all types of lenses without needing another camera (compromised APS-C or heavy DSLR). The other option is to wait for a Sony or other FF Mirrorless solution but even then, we don't know if they will have the right
...Show more

Joe,

Good to know. Unfortunately for me with all of my R lenses, the lack of off center zoom for LV was the deal breaker. I need this option for much of my work.

Rich

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.724 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Rich, don't give up, hopefully Leica might have the crippled live view sorted in the next revision of the M240.1, although it seems not possible to do it with the current processor. I agree off center zoom can be critical for some types of shooting as in your case.

Jun 25, 2013 at 07:44 PM
joakim
• • •
p.724 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments!

It's interesting to see what all these classic lenses can do. I have acquired a Canon 35/1.8 LTM myself but I haven't got around to test it yet.

Here are two from a walk this evening with some more modern lenses, 28 Summicron and 90 Elmarit.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:13 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.724 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joakim, very nice set with the lighting on those two pics. I think the extra steps with your new sharpening script is worth the effort. And congrats on the Canon 35 1.8. You might want to add a Canon 50 1.4 ltm which would pair well with the 35, or maybe also add a Canon 50 1.5 ltm which is a Sonnar design

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.724 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Wow - lot's of action here lately. Great to see!

One thing I really like about the M system is how compact it is....

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.724 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Gary, sample shots please!!

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.724 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

No sample shots for you - it's not a Sonnar! I actually may give it a go at my son's soccer game this week just for fun. Stay tuned....

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.724 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joe - looks OK, though if that's at the infinity stop, my feeling is the far trees are maybe still to close? Anyway, if it's working OK for you, then no need to change anything. I really like the rendering of the van images - goes very well with the age of the van.

Joakim, those look great. The first one though is what still bugs me a lot about digital - the poor handling of extremely bright highlight transitions. The M9's dynamic range is at play here as well. High contrast scenes are where the old lenses can sometimes be useful, as I've found with the 50/1.5 Summarit, and to some degree with the old Sonnars. Their lower contrast character tends not to stretch out the dynamic range like modern lenses do, though shooting into the sun isn't typically one of their strengths.
Looking forward to your results with the Canon 35/1.8!

Gary, that looks like it could desperately use a handgrip. Good luck with it shooting sports!

Another scene with the Sonnar at f/1.5, 2.0 and 2.8:

Jun 26, 2013 at 02:58 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.724 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Interesting samples Ron. It always amazes me how much the character of a lens can change at different apertures. That lens looks like it has some neat bokeh.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:24 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.724 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Gary, don't hesitate, just buy one (or two) Its a Sonnar after all, and the best part, these are original ones, even more bragging rights than having a ZM C-Sonnar or any other Sonnars in my opinion

Actually I'm now really curious to find out more on the CZ 8.5cm f/2 Sonnars. They are all supposed to be APO design, even the prewar versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:31 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.724 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron - Thanks for the heads up, I'm "working" on getting one. I'll also be paying a premium living in Singapore
I'll fill you all in closer to the wedding date. If I do end up getting the camera however, it's a wedding gift, so I won't be shooting with it till my actual wedding according to my fiance.

Living in Singapore, any old lenses I buy have to go into a dry-box, because it's so humid. And even then, they need to be sunned regularly to avoid haze/fungus. So it's really troublesome keeping old lenses. My dry-boxes are always full, and I never think to sun my lenses. I have about 15 non-professional lenses (in my secondary dry-box), and I've noticed mold (luckily not haze/fungus) on a few of them recently, so I had to take them all out, sun and clean them, and put them all back. It was a real troublesome and lengthy process. So I'm trying to refrain from buying some more cheap vintage lenses, but you guys aren't making it easy on me. Everytime I see one neat lens on here, I do a bit of research and end up wanting three or so vintage lenses.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.724 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Adam, your dry boxes are not working. If you keep the humidity below 55%, it is impossible for fungus and mould to grow. I keep mine around 45% and I have yet to see any traces of fungus in any of my lenses, and there is absolutely no need whatsoever to "sun" them.

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:59 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.724 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys.

Here's the 50 Lux ASPH, wide open, vs. the 50/1.5 Sonnar, also wide open. I think processing was pretty much identical. Lux first:

Some random shots with the Sonnar, wide open, processed to taste:

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:27 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.724 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, excellent shots! I actually like the rendering and drawing style on the Sonnar compared to the 50Lux ASPH in the first two comparison shots and at least at this resolution. It looks smoother leading up from the foreground to the background, something imperfect in it but still very pleasing. I had zero interest in the ZM C-Sonnar in the past, partly due to focus shift and aslo not knowing much about the Sonnar's history, now it seems to be a must buy lens, at least as reference to the other Sonnars. I am a Sonnar addict, I am doomed huh?

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.724 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward - Maybe one of them isn't functioning, but last time I checked they were working fine. They both have meters in them, and I have an independent meter that I toss in from time to time. It reads roughly the same (few % off).

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:12 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.724 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Edward - Maybe one of them isn't functioning, but last time I checked they were working fine. They both have meters in them, and I have an independent meter that I toss in from time to time. It reads roughly the same (few % off).

That is a bit strange because mold is not supposed to grow in these conditions according to what I know. Maybe humidity is not the only factor for fungus growth?

PS: here's an interesting article from Zeiss website: http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/service/fungus_on_lenses.html

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:42 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password