1       2       3              723      
       725              2351       2352       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Mitch Alland
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.724 #1 · p.724 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward,

Yes, they cleaned my M-Monochrom there; and that was a major cleaning with oil spots thrown off by the shutter.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Aug 08, 2013 at 06:37 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.724 #2 · p.724 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Haven't had much time out. Took a quick drive to the grocery store and was bogged down by groceries, but managed to grab a quick snap of a cool lock. Was focusing on the rusted lock U shape, not the SEN words.. So figured I'd toss up a DNG file for anyone who was interested.. This was at minimum focusing distance, @ f/2 (don't trust the exif)..

Reason I decided to toss up the EXIF file, is because I love how you can read the words off the rusted part of the lock, and you really need to zoom in to appreciate the sharpness. Again, really not a good measure of the lens at all.. But I'm not an engineer like some of you Leica users Figured for anyone who's interested, can see the lens and M240 DNG at the same time.

www.adamsalt.com/fm/DNGAPO.zip

BTW, in another shot I took of some white rope, I noticed pink and blue color fringing slightly on the areas of the rope that were just falling out of focus, but not beyond and not on the in focus areas.. So there was a bit of fringing in the transitional few mm that separated sharp focus from bokeh. Which in my opinion seems to be fast.. As in, the falloff (I think is the term) is QUICK.

Fixed link.

Best,
Adam

P.S. Will try to get some 50Lux 50APO tests in when I can.

Aug 08, 2013 at 06:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.724 #3 · p.724 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
Edward,

Yes, they cleaned my M-Monochrom there; and that was a major cleaning with oil spots thrown off by the shutter.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Thank you very much, Mitch!

Aug 08, 2013 at 07:00 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.724 #4 · p.724 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles - love the cat shot....coming from someone who admittedly hates cats .

Mitch - nice series. Looks like the cabling wouldn't quite pass code over here in the states

Ron - nice shots from the party. The color and clarity on 1 & 2 are excellent....#2 is my favorite of the bunch. Very nice rendering

Gary - what great colors in that shot....like it a lot

Aug 08, 2013 at 07:15 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.724 #5 · p.724 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi all - I am seeking advice and or reassurance as to a deal I am about to make...

I currently shoot 50/50 film/digital and my film cameras are: Bessa R4A, Bessa R3A and Mamiya 7 with 43 and 150. My digital setup is an XP1 kit (with both zooms) and an X100. The deal I am about to make is to trade my Fuji X Pro 1 kit (+cash) for a Leica ME. I have been wanting to consolidate systems for some time now, and love my CV lenses which I currently use on both the Bessas and the XP1 (with adapter). My worries are that I won't have the convenience of AF anymore with any of my cameras (except the X100, as I am keeping it for a walk around everyday camera). Please tell me that the image files I will get from the ME will blow the Fuji XP1 files out of the water. I don't dislike the X trans files, but have to say that I am not in love with them; or the use of the XP1. I find all the settings, dials, buttons, and options to be overwhelming and needless. I never shoot video and find myself not needing to use lenses longer than 85mm now. I plan to sell the Mamiya 7 setup to fund the difference between the XP1 and the ME. I am hesitant to do this, but like to not purchase without a sale to cover the same $$. I could easily become way too invested in equipment, and need to keep myself in check if you know what I mean...

So, tell me if you think I am doing the right thing. I have children and animals and like to shoot PJ style - but can I live without AF on my main camera? I don't know... Will the quality make it worth it? I don't know...

Help.

I've already talked with Ryan - who has helped me, but am just a hesitant buyer I guess. I'm exited, too.

Aug 08, 2013 at 09:40 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.724 #6 · p.724 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments everyone. Cool image Gary. At first I thought you stumbled on a sci-fi movie set. There's something about it that looks like a stage prop.. difficult to really determine the scale of it.

Katie, I would think the core M-E shooting experience will be very similar to the Bessas. Have you been able to get by with those in the situations you expect to use the M-E?

As for image quality... At base ISO 160 you'll get very sharp files. I haven't used the Fuji cameras personally and can only go by the many images I've seen in various threads and forums. That said, my impression has often been of a waxiness to the images. You won't see that with the M-E unless you crank up noise reduction in post. I think if you're tolerant of some fine luminance noise, even at base ISO, you'll like the M-E's files. Leica's color is also very good, reminiscent of slide films, though some have struggled with skin tones, which can be quirky, especially in mixed lighting. In this camera generation (M9/M-E), Leica is very hands-off with noise reduction and the higher ISO settings will look messier than what you see OOC from something like the XP1. And considering Fuji probably has the best Jpeg engine on the market, you might find yourself spending more time in post tweaking the M-E's files, because there are very few in-camera image optimization settings. How you expose with the M-E might need adjusting vs. the XP1. The M-E/M9 will blow highlights fairly easily and the files don't have as much highlight recovery leeway as those from other cameras (notably Sony sensors). But you can open shadows quite aggressively. It won't be noiseless, but 2-3 stops is no problem. Therefore the typical approach here is to protect highlights, which often results in underexposed mid tones and shadows, requiring recovery in post.

I think it boils down to the Leica system being more hands-on. This is true both while shooting and in post. There are fewer bells and whistles, fewer safety nets, allowing easier, more direct control over the core settings but also letting you crash and burn more easily.

Without doubt, Leica's digital M cameras have quirks that over time you'll need to become familiar with in order to tweak how you work with it vs. other systems. All I can say in this regard is to give it enough time. I know other participants in this thread had rocky starts with their Leica transition, but persevered and found approaches that worked for them. Not to say it always will work as you expected...

Aug 08, 2013 at 10:32 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.724 #7 · p.724 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie, a little more....if you want a simplistic system such as you mention, there is no better system than a Leica. It has everything you need and nothing you don't. On the M9, M9-P and M-E there is no video and the files are as good or better than anything you can get at 35mm or smaller. A few years ago I bought my first Leica, the M8. At the time I still had my Nikon D700 with all pro lenses such as 24 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, 70-200 AF-S...etc. The files I was getting from the M8 at base ISO were far more impressive than anything I could get from the D700. I loved it...however, couldn't afford two systems and ultimately went back to Nikon. After that, I realized my preferred system for shooting was rangefinder, I pretty much stopped shooting anything. I then broke down and bought an M9 about two years ago and got right back in the swing of things and shot everything from children to pets to landscapes. Couldn't have been happier. 2nd mistake, I decided to get into other hobbies and sold my M9 thinking I could get by with cheaper DSLR / m4/3 system...totally stopped shooting anything for a year or so again (when will I learn? ). I used to think I needed the fastest AF to shoot my 2 and 6 year old....found out it is almost easier to shoot manual. It doesn't sound like it would be, but it is. The rangefinder system is just a blast, the files are....can't put into words coming from DSLR, really that good. Here are some samples shooting my kids with Leica...my hit rate is probably 90-95% on lenses outside fast telephoto. Even shooting wide open with the Voigtlander 35 f/1.2, Leica 35 f/1.4, Leica 50 f/1.4 and Voigtlander 50 f/1.5 my hit rate is in the 90% range.

Edit: Really the only thing that took some getting used to was the minimum focus distance is generally about .7m. I was used to getting closer with my DSLR

warning, lots of pics for you

35 f/2.8

75 f/1.4

35 f/1.4

35 f/1.4

90 f/2.8

100 f/2

35 f/4....use with strobes is easy

50 f/1.5...I don't have a 100% crop handy, but you can count the eyelashes on this one, didn't miss focus the least bit

35 f/2

my wife can't focus manually very well....yet she managed to hit this just fine...35 f/2

18 f/4

25 f/5.6

35 f/1.4

50 f/1.7

35 f/4.8

35 f/4

90 f/2.5

75 f/1.4

18 f/5.6 (4 stitch pano)

even something so simple as this, the file just looks amazing - 28 f/2

90 f/5.6

28 f/2

35 f/4...I have this one printed in the house at 17x22 and the detail is just amazing

I have many....thousand....more. I would obviously recommend in a heartbeat

Aug 08, 2013 at 10:57 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.724 #8 · p.724 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Interesting article in the New York Times on Leica digital
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/08/technology/personaltech/leica-cameras-have-eye-popping-prices-with-photos-to-match.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:01 AM
rirakuma
• • •
p.724 #9 · p.724 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

One from the hike today. Had a rather unpleasant time because I had to rush the trail (my fault for not going earlier). Took this one just before I left but I'll post some more shots when I get time to work on it over the weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't keep my hands steady as it was already very dark.

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:08 AM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.724 #10 · p.724 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron and Ryan - thank you immensely. Any and all info is appreciated - the good, the bad and the ugly. I find I tote my Bessas around more than anything else. Period. This was my deciding factor here. Don't get me wrong, I tote the little X100 frequently, too; but honestly find that I am fiddling with menu crap and adjusting ISO junk so much that I just don't enjoy it as much. It's easy, for sure, and I don't worry about jacking it up (I got it for pretty darn cheap) so I don't ever feel weird carrying it.

I NEVER took the XP1 with me anywhere; unless it was for a job. Period. I even had the brand new, not even available 55-200 and never used it! That showed me that I wasn't using the camera for it's potential - and it needed to go.

NOW RYAN; you and I have talked back and forth about lenses, and you know I am partial to the CV lenses like you; but DAMN that 35 1.2 and 50 1.5 II look AMAZING. I thought that I could get away with the few I have now, but now I know I will need another lens. Just need to see which I need first. I am thinking a good 50mm ... I have the 28 1.9, which will be close to the 35 1.2 for now; but am sure I will be investing in some more good CV lenses. You know I covet that 21 1.8 you have... I have a totally cheap 50 that I can use for now, as well as a 15, 28 and 90. I sorta have all the bases covered, but that 50 and 35 ... wow.

I, too, have had lots of systems and gone back and forth. Sold out on my Canon DSLR gear and L lenses and never looked back. Tried the NEX and FUJI both ... so we shall see here. Always wanted to try Leica, but never thought I would have a digital one!

So do you guys use cases or half cases with your Leica? I know the thumbs up is a necessity, but do you keep your body in a case for protection? I haven't carried around a $4K body before, so I will be wary of marking it up!

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.724 #11 · p.724 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie, welcome to this thread. I think Ron and Ryan said it all, so I can only repeat my full endorsement of the Leica ME/M9. I would recommend without reservation and say go for it!

Ryan, what a show off Absolutely fantastic images of your daughter, she will be very grateful when she grows up.

Riakuma, too bad about the hand shake. It's an excellent catch

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.724 #12 · p.724 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie, not to offend anybody, but I think that a half-case is a half-absurdity, while a Thumbs Up is essential, particularly if you want to be able to shoot in the vertical orientation. I just carry the camera on the shoulder with a short, braided bridle strap, which is soft and which I can wind two or three times around my wrist; and I put one or two lenses in my pockets. For traveling, I just put the camera with 21, 28 and 50 mm lenses in whatever shoulder strap back that I take on the trip, in which I carry my documents, currently a Victorinox black nylon bag that my son bought for US$30. Any camera is made to be used, and life is too short to worry about scratches.

I bought an M9-P in late-February and am entranced by its color rendition, which I find to be similar to color slide film, particularly Kodachrome, which was the film that Leica and Kodak used as the color model in designing the sensor assembly.In other words, I find that with the M9 I can get the color that I want. I was going to get an M-E, but the dealer in Paris had a new, black M9-P that was still at the Leica promotional price that had expired on December 31; so it cost me only a few hundred dollars more than the M-E; otherwise I would have been just as happy with the M-E.

Another point: the M9 has the reputation as a poor camera for high-ISO. Contrary to the conventional wisdom, I find it to be an excellent camera for night shooting using the technique that is the subject of this thread.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Edited on Aug 08, 2013 at 12:13 PM · View previous versions

Aug 08, 2013 at 11:48 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.724 #13 · p.724 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
I NEVER took the XP1 with me anywhere; unless it was for a job. Period.

NOW RYAN; you and I have talked back and forth about lenses, and you know I am partial to the CV lenses like you; but DAMN that 35 1.2 and 50 1.5 II look AMAZING. I thought that I could get away with the few I have now, but now I know I will need another lens. Just need to see which I need first. I am thinking a good 50mm ... I have the 28 1.9, which will be close to the 35 1.2
...Show more

My first Leica was the first camera I took with me EVERYWHERE. It is small enough and I enjoy it so much I take it with me everywhere I go. The Voigtlander 35 f/1.2 II and 50 Nokton II are excellent lenses...and not just with the tag added, 'for the money'. They are excellent lenses period. The Voigtlander 21 f/1.8 is more perfect than both of those though ....seriously. Don't get hung up on the lenses though, there are many inexpensive alternatives that are excellent. The Canon 50 f/1.4 and 50 f/1.8 (need screw mount adapter), the Zeiss 35 f/2 and 35 f/2.8 Biogon, 50 f/2 Planar, Konica 28 f/2.8, Konica 50 f/2, Minolta 28 f/2.8, Leica 40 f/2 Summicron...list goes on. Many possibilities.

As far as marking up the Leica...who cares. Adds character . To be honest, a heavily worn body with brass coming through M8.2/M9/etc usually goes for more than a near mint body.

Mitch Alland wrote:
Katie, not to offend anybody, but I think that a half-case is a half-absurdity, while a Thumbs Up is essential,

+1

Never been a fan of cases, especially on the Leica. The M bodies fit the hand so perfectly I have never thought about it. As far as thumbs up goes, I agree, something is needed. Whether it be a thumbs up or the thumbie (which I prefer as it keeps the hot shoe free) - see here.

edwardkaraa wrote:
Ryan, what a show off Absolutely fantastic images of your daughter, she will be very grateful when she grows up.

Thank you! I'm just trying to recruit new members to our thread

Aug 08, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.724 #14 · p.724 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Go for it Katie! From what you have described, the Leica could end up being a very good match for your needs. I say give it a go and try it out. Stick with it though, the first little while can be a bit of a challenge. Also don't forget about the Zeiss ZM glass which are great performing lenses. I also second Mitch's suggestion for the Thumbs-Up. I've never tried a half case and personally don't really see the need. Look forward to your pics!

Aug 08, 2013 at 12:21 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.724 #15 · p.724 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I never tried the thumbs-up so I can't really comment on it's usefulness, but I've been moving back and forth from hand grip to leather half-case. I like the cases to be simple without built in grips so I ordered the JNK case

It's really good for everyday use and is very stylish. Otherwise when I'm shooting seriously, I prefer the Leica hand grip.

Aug 08, 2013 at 12:29 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.724 #16 · p.724 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

KatieInTexas wrote:
NOW RYAN; you and I have talked back and forth about lenses, and you know I am partial to the CV lenses like you; but DAMN that 35 1.2 and 50 1.5 II look AMAZING. I thought that I could get away with the few I have now, but now I know I will need another lens. Just need to see which I need first. I am thinking a good 50mm ... I have the 28 1.9, which will be close to the 35 1.2 for now; but am sure I will be investing in some more good CV lenses.
...Show more

Sorry, I'm not Ryan, but can't resist.

What is your definition of a good 50mm? It's a focal length where you have an abundance of choices, but that can quickly narrow depending on your requirements.

I'd suggest first getting the camera and seeing how your existing lenses pair with it. There's a good chance they'll look a bit different than what you were used to seeing with the Bessas. Also, the latest CV lenses, like the 21/1.8 and 35/1.2 II seem to be in a different league technically than many of their earlier lenses. In the 21mm lens review I did, inspired primarily by the 21/1.8, the CV holds its own against Leica and Zeiss. But I'm not sure I'd say the same about some of their other lenses. And it will probably be on a lens by lens basis. I haven't tried the 28/1.9, but did compare the 28/2 against the ZM 28mm and was not overly impressed by the CV.. In general, my finding is the CV lenses are lower in contrast and quite gentle in feel and rendering. Some also aren't overly sharp across the frame (if that is important to you). At the other extreme, in terms of image character, are those from Zeiss's ZM line. Leica's lenses float around between the two in terms of rendering, but probably have the highest across-frame sharpness consistency of the three brands. Also worth exploring are the many older lenses from Leica, Nikon, Canon, Konica, Minolta, etc., Many offer characteristics seen as technically inferior now, but can subtly enhance images in ways modern lenses will not.

As for half cases... I think it depends on how you shoot with the camera. If you shoot a lot, to the point where you're changing cards and batteries frequently, then the half case could be annoying. It also will add just that much more bulk. I agree with Mitch. The camera will not suffer, other than cosmetically, without a case, but definitely get a Thumbs-up or Thumbie add-on. I also wrap the neck strap (from Domke in my case) a few times around my wrist. And combined with the Thumbs-up, makes it very easy to use the camera. You kind of have to forget it's an expensive camera and just use it (that's what insurance is for). It does bug me to read comments by photographers (not Leica owners in particular) who hesitate to use their cameras for meaningful events, trips, etc., because of the equipment's value. Why did you get it in the first place?! Defeats the whole purpose, IMO.

Battery: keep in mind you get about 300-400 shots on the battery. The way the camera is set up, you'll get shut-down warnings well before the battery reaches zero (probably closer to 25%). Whereas I can shoot my Canons until about zero, with the M9/M-E and it's somewhat archaic electronics and possibly questionable power management system, you're probably best to swap out batteries once they're in the 50% range. While you can use them below that point, and the latest firmware has apparently better power management capability, the camera may behave somewhat haphazardly. And before you do anything of value (such as paid work) be sure you've tested and used your memory cards in the camera because it can be somewhat temperamental about brands and specific card models... At least that used to be the case. It's possible the later firmware versions have somewhat remedied this. Over time I've learned that it's best not to rush the camera, such as by immediately reviewing images while the red light is still flashing, especially if it's digesting a sequence of many images. The more 'rushed' it is to multitask, the greater the probability of it locking up, becoming unresponsive, etc.. And if that happens, you'll have to pop out the battery for a hard reset.

Aug 08, 2013 at 12:49 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.724 #17 · p.724 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

There are a lot has been said. (Ryan, nice showcase of M9 I agree most you said, leave out for comment about D700, a great camera, an instant classic in digital camera/Nikon history IMO)

Here is my feeling:
1) For investment/purchase like this, I will buy a 2nd hand camera first. In case you find your priority change and it is not for you, you can cash out without losssssss…
2) RF usage for me is :
a. Traveling, I have nice FF setup with class lead optics.
b. There is certain type of photography, rangefinder is great. Like WA to MA shot to capture the right moment. RF is like a crop tool for me, I am editing the world I see. I know you must have known it. For me, DSLR and rangefinder are two totally different systems and my outputs are hence different with each system.
3) If I forced to choose one system, it will be DSLR. It can be stretched to replace RF if I have to, but not other way around.
4) About M9’s file, it could be most impressive files I have seen. But like Ron said, it requires some work to get used to. The signature is very strong in that you either love it or hate it. But the file can be manipulate quite bit even more compare to my latest 6D. The color out of camera for landscape requires very less tweak to give you nice results. Low ISO is never a issue for me, I seldom find myself cheating on light means need a clean file at night.
5) For fast glass usage, Rf accuracy is important and can be a pain to maintain, thus, I prefer use f2 lens and WA which is more reliable. I can assume 21/24/35 f1.4 will be great, they are very expensive. VC35 is great lens but size is a problem for me.
6) About case, I bought two cases over the time, but seems always leave them home, the extra bulk definitely not welcome, and I feel it slow me down for shooting, changing. The body without case is very lean and barebone, nothing between you and your subject. Thumb up is a must though for me. I tried removing it but always come back with it for better handling.
7) Get a 28/35 and a 50 (any lens leica, VC, Zeiss) you are ready to go, enjoy the system It is a leica, in the end. How wrong it can be

Aug 08, 2013 at 01:36 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.724 #18 · p.724 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Katie, if you are considering a M9. The M9 raws have huge amounts of details when shot in the decent lighting. That’s what I feel it does the best. I suspect if you pair another AA-less sensor (D800E?) with great glass, you can get similar amounts of detail, but the camera/lens sizes are would be nowhere similar. That said, the M9 has plenty of drawbacks: The tech is a few years old now and high ISO is really nothing to write home about, the LCD is just horrid, the battery life is a tad short, batteries are too expensive, and there’s the issue with certain memory cards. That said, I think most of us have learned to live with the shortcomings (or get a M240, lol)

Aug 08, 2013 at 01:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.724 #19 · p.724 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

M9 + Planar 50 by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 + Biogon 25 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Aug 08, 2013 at 02:06 PM
KatieInTexas
• • •
p.724 #20 · p.724 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

So I take it most shoot RAW? I have always only ever shot RAW and am currently using LR4. Is this compatible with the M-E or will I need to upgrade (yet again) to 5?

Aug 08, 2013 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.