Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              722      
       724              940       941       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

muc_marlin
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.723 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

great stuff everyone! Can't believe how fast this thread grows.....

This was my first hike with the new M9P.

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:07 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.723 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

all with M9P....

the bavarian way of live :-)

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:10 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.723 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Peter, those look great. The water has a beautiful color to it and the Bavarian lifestyle certainly has its benefits!
Gary, really like the first one. Surprised you're not sick of seeing water?
Phil: in fact my friend across from me in the photos, she did order fried chicken with waffles. I went with pulled pork and just finished the leftovers for dinner tonight.
Joe, thanks for the comment on the Canon 35/2 vs. the ZM35/2.8. I forgot to include my opinions on this and basically agree with you. Sometimes the busier/harsher rendering of the Canon works for the wide open shots. The ZM has a smoother background rendering that at times seems a bit uninteresting.

A few from earlier last week with the Canon 50/1.4, Canon 35/2 and 28 Cron:

Jun 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.723 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks all for the comments and likes!

Gary, wow, flood looks pretty bad. The 50Lux pre ASPH set looks excellent! Nice pop and contrast.
Ron, yes Nikkor 10.5cm 2.5 is a Sonnar design. Love that B&W of your friend's son with the Canon 35/2. Dinner set with the Nippon Summilux is also excellent, very modern rendering. Looks like everyone had a great time out. Your pp with skin tones continue to amaze me and I'm not surprised of the lens's performance, especially in your hands. Makes me want to try a 50/1.4 FDn now P/s I think its not fair to put the older lenses next to a 28Cron, but nice comparison though
Edward, excellent sets with the Zeiss lenses. Really like #1 from first set, the ZM50P of the landscape and elephants, cowboy peddler and the 3D tree 85/2 still in Germany for calibration?
Joakim, 3 trains and a bus ride home? That would make my older son extremely happy! Excellent set with the ZM50P.
Allen, excellent shot, nicely framed and composed.
Phil, congrats on the CV 50/1.5. Excellent portrait. Wedding with Mono sounds like fun!
Adam, hope you get your M240 soon. Not a bad idea to get a spare battery while they are available.
Peter, fantastic starter set on this thread, beautiful! You put your new gear to good use and a well deserved glass of beer!

-------
Still getting acquainted with my prewar CZJ Sonnar 5cm 1.5. All wide open except #1 @ f/4

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:12 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.723 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Joe, wanna second shoot for me?

Lovely renderings with that sonnar!

Is that evening light on your son?

Phil

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.723 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Peter - beautiful landscape set. Very nice PP'ing. If that is the typical Bavarian meal - sign me up!

Ron - That tree set is very nice. Evoke's a nice, moody feeling for me.

Joe - Looks like that CZJ Sonnar is a keeper! Such nice rendering to my eye....

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.723 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

A few more....

50lux pre-asph e46

50lux pre-asph e46

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:32 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.723 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you Phil, Ron, Allen, Joe, for your kind comments!

Phil: beautiful portrait!

Ron: very nice family candids. The colors are superb too. Yep, there are vineyards in Thailand, mostly in a few hilly areas. It's a recent industry though, but top French and Italian experts are hired, and the wine is actually quite good.

Gary: dramatic set, especially love the 1st shot.

Allen: Yep, I thought that must be him

Peter: beautiful nature set. The colors are gorgeous. And the last Kaese und Schinken shot is mouth watering!

Ron: very nice composition in the last set, and love the cool color balance and tones.

Joe: superb shots with the sonnar. Yep, mine is still at Zeiss. Shouldn't expect back before 1-2 weeks.

Jun 24, 2013 at 08:56 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.723 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe88 - My thoughts exactly! Great shots lately, I like the greens in your first photo with the Sonnar Jena.

Ron - The second and third shots look closer then the first, I like the third shot the best, to be honest. Which lens on third?
There's a reason why I'm bias. Lately the PSI has been really high here 400+ because of the forest fires the Indonesian government has been letting corporations start to "clear cut" the land to the south of us here in Singapore. So I'm really sick of seeing haze (leica glow), in real life, in photos, everywhere. Similar situation to what I'd assume Gary would be in. Hence me liking your comment "Gary, really like the first one. Surprised you're not sick of seeing water?"

Guys nice shots overall.

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:57 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.723 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, joe, Gary: thanks a lot!

Edward : Thanks! Hey you even know the german words, but please don't forget the Weissbier

Ron: nice atmosphere! For this kind of landscape shots I personally prefer the Summicron for it's sharpness, contrast and color.

joe : do you get this look, feel from the sonar without post processing?

Jun 24, 2013 at 01:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wstam

p.723 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hi,

Thanks for all the wonderful photos! I have not been doing any posting here for a while but come here to view almost daily.

I got my M in Apr. Within 2 weeks it was send to Solms for the repair. Got it back in May but don't have much time shooting with it.

Singapore is covered in haze due to the forest fire in Indonesia. Yesterday the sky cleared out. So went out to take some shots.

Cheers!

Jun 24, 2013 at 03:14 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.723 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Adam - I moved somewhat between the first (50mm) and the last two images. The third image is the 28 Cron. I agree with Peter that for general landscape use (natural and urban) I prefer the perfection of modern glass. The Canons are actually really good stopped down, which is typically how I would use them in such situations, but for the scene of the tree, it was dark and I wanted a bit of separation from the background. I did a bit more urban exploration yesterday around town and came to the conclusion that while the Canon lenses perform very well stopped down, there is a difference in color rendering and micro contrast compared to Leica glass. I'll probably use the Canons more for available light people photos.

That's unfortunate about the poor air quality... I can't imagine having to deal with that on a daily basis. The closest perhaps was during several trips to Taiwan where it was typically very hazy on the west cost, hardly ever seeing the blue sky. But that was 'just' smog and not directly the result of forest fires.

WeeSin - very nice - great color! I really like the last three. I'm struck at how clean the 28 Cron file looks. On the M9 it vignettes even when stopped down a fair amount, yet your M240 example doesn't show any. Was it specially processed?

A couple more with the Canon 35/2 LTM wide open:

Jun 24, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.723 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

That second picture is pretty bizarre (in a good way) Ron!

WeeSin - great to see you pictures - well done.

Jun 24, 2013 at 05:00 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.723 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

A reprocess of an older image in B&W.

21SEM

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:04 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.723 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Phil, Gary, Edward, Adam

Phil, yes it was sunset but the light was blocked from direct view.
Gary, another nice set at the waterfall. 21SEM B&W looks good! If you like the Sonnar look, you might want to add one of these Contax CZ lenses to your collection. I use my Contax RF lenses with an Amadeo Contax to ltm adapter which works great.
Wee Sin, excellent set and congrats on your M240.
Ron, I like the rendering on the red gate shot. Interesting OOF rendering on the 2nd 35/2 shot.

muc_marlin wrote:
joe : do you get this look, feel from the sonar without post processing?

Hehe, Peter, the Sonnar look is quite distinct, like fine German beer, you can't fake it? Actually, these older lenses are quite low in contrast but these CZ Sonnars (I have three so far) resolves quite well. I added contrast, clariy and minor tweaking in post but otherwise colors from the lens seems nice. Main concern with these older uncoated lenses is flare which as Ron mentioned, can make colors washed out.

Here is a sample dng out of camera. Quite good in my opinion for a lens > 80 years old?

Jun 24, 2013 at 09:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.723 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Yes, Joe and I are on a Sonnar spree. Well, more so Joe. Just received my Amedeo adapter today and gave the 50/1.5 a spin. My copy is an Opton (made in West Germany) and is coated.

A few initial observations... the coatings probably make a pretty big difference because I tried scenes with some bright sky as backlight and the lens held contrast reasonably well. Better than I expected in many situations. Bokeh character is in-line with Sonnars from this era but I think it's somewhat less extreme than the Nikkor 5cm/1.4. I don't have a ZM50/1.5 for direct comparison, but based on some web shots from it, I would guess the ZM is slightly smoother with its OOF specular highlight rendering. Compared to the Nikkor, the Opton doesn't melt into absolute gooey SA glow wide open, though it still has SA glow that will add a slight halo-edge to high contrast transitions. Nor does it seem as susceptible to extreme purple fringing like the Nikkor against very bright backgrounds. Stopped down one stop, the hard ring edges soften but the lens doesn't have the dramatic pick-up in contrast the Nikkor has. The Opton seems to have a relatively small central sweet spot. Stopping down to f/11 seems to give the best across-frame performance. This isn't a lens I'd want to use for technical purposes. Interestingly, the Canon 50/1.4, which isn't a Sonnar design, is much better than the Nikkor or Sonnar for predictability and control. Stopped down around f/8 it's pretty close to modern glass for across-frame sharpness. So... for me, the 50/1.5 Summarit, 5cm/1.4 Nikkor and 50/1.5 Zeiss-Opton Sonnar are more or less bokeh effect lenses that also can work well for people/portraiture. The Canon can do this as well, or sit in the camp of more technically proficient lenses.

So, where to start?

These are pretty much unprocessed. WB adjustment and maybe slight curves for some. Zeiss-Opton 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar, all without a lens hood:

And sorry if I hurt your eyes with the following These were given slightly more processing.

Biggest hassle with the lens is again ~1m MFD and because it sits in a Contax RF to Leica focus helical adapter that was probably made based on the actual Contax RF focus helical, the focus direction is the wrong way.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:27 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.723 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

joe, thanks for the example! It really has a nice character which fits good to portraits and people shots.

Jun 25, 2013 at 08:19 AM
wstam

p.723 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, Gary and Joe, thanks for the comments.

rscheffler wrote:
WeeSin - very nice - great color! I really like the last three. I'm struck at how clean the 28 Cron file looks. On the M9 it vignettes even when stopped down a fair amount, yet your M240 example doesn't show any. Was it specially processed?

Ron, no special vignettes process to the 28 cron photo. I did crop some from right and bottom edges. So it may be more like 35mm or so. The top and left edges are the exact original edges. I never have personal experience with 28 cron on M9 (got it after my M9 was sold). Don't notice much vignetting issue with it on M240. If there is it must be mild.

Tks.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.723 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron congrats on the CZ Opton 5cm 1.5! Your sample looks very sharp and seems to hold contrast much better than my uncoated version. Excellent set to showcase what this lens is capable. That flare shot is pretty cool!

Jun 25, 2013 at 01:30 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.723 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Great shots, guys.
Ron, Joe, I start confusing about what lens you guys have right now. Canon, Zeiss, Nikkor... But I certainly enjoy all the photos posted. they got characters of their own.
No wonder this thread belong to Alt forum here

This one from last week.
50cron Rigid. in front of dancing class. unknown little girl, with striking eyes.

Jun 25, 2013 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password