Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              721      
       723              940       941       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.722 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Scott, nice portrait, again.
Ron, Nice set from alt lenses. the 135 looks great here. what is your opinion about that lens. How easy to focus?
Joe, Saw a interview of HCB here, 50mm is the only lens you needed

joe88 wrote:
Michael, 35CronV1 seems to be very sharp at least in the center of the frame.. Would you say the rendering on your 35CronV1 and 50Cron Rigid and the R versions are similar? You seem to have accumulated quite a few R lenses recently. Hope it works out well with the 50Lux ASPH, sorry to hear about the issues you had.

Its corner is decent too. too pity I can't do LV focus to optimize focusing. Here is the original pic and two corner crops, what you think? Not my type, but just want pass the info

As for rendering, I feel both perform very neutral, not very special, (Bokeh is so so) and inferior to 35/50cron R in rendering and center sharpness WO. But I always prefer some type of shots with D700, the file is very 'relaxed', no tension.

For both cron M I used often, I treat them as good tool as mentioned earlier, reliable and sharp after f4 so I can focus on content than lens itself.

Jun 22, 2013 at 07:20 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.722 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Gary, I'll see about low light evening photos...
Joe, that's pretty amazing for ~80 year old lens! Looking forward to seeing more from it. Would be interesting to see what the differences are compared to a post-war coated Sonnar.
Michael, the 135/4 is pretty decent optically, though it doesn't seem to tolerate strong backlighting very well. massive flare and loss of contrast with some of the backlit sailboat images. But that is a difficult challenge for any lens. Focusing was tricky. This copy back focused on my M9, so I had to do a number of test shots, for example that one of the coffee cut. For the sailboats and other distant scenes, I stopped it down to around f/11, but it's generally a lens you can't just set to infinity and expect good focus if the subject is several hundred feet away.
As I may have stated before, at this focal length, for infinity type scenes, I would like very high across frame sharpness. I think the 135 was decent, but not quite on par with modern telephoto lenses. The contrast loss in backlighting is also an issue for me. I would prefer to use it on a live view camera just for the focus assurance.

Because everyone's sure to want to know, here are a few sequences comparing the Canon 35/2 LTM against the ZM35/2.8 at around 1m distance:

Canon at f2, 2.8 and 4:

ZM35/2.8 at f/2.8 & 4:

As a bonus, Canon 50/1.4 LTM and 50 Lux ASPH in that order, wide open:

And another scene with a busier background:

Canon 35/2 at f/2 & 2.8:

ZM35/2.8 wide open:

And again, the Canon 50/1.4 LTM and 50 Lux ASPH:

Jun 22, 2013 at 07:25 AM
joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.722 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, great architectural sets. My favorite is t#6 from the first set with the 90 Summarit because of its strong graphical look.

Joe, nice to have an M that takes such inexpensive accessories , the Olympus macro looks good. Yes, I have picked up some new sharpening scripts that I use in PS and I think they are good enough to make it worth the extra trip from LR to PS.

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:20 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.722 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks for the comparison shots Ron. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.... I actually quite like the semi-harsh bokeh of the 35/2 WO.

Joe - thanks for the note. I have never seen flooding like this before. Helicopters flying around, police with sirens and loudspeakers evacuating people - just crazy. Downtown is more/less under water which means maybe up to a week for cleanup. Calgary isn't the place you expect to see a house floating down the river. Also not sure if they can clean up in time for the Calgary Stampede in two weeks time. However, today is nice and sunny which will help lift people's spirits.

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:29 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.722 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Picked up a battery for my non-existant M camera.. Still holding out hope.

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:59 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.722 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Michael, thanks for the info on the M and R lenses. The 35CronV1 sample looks sharp on corners when stopped down as you shown.

Ron, thanks for the comparison. Canon ltms perform admirably for being from the 1950s. Wide open and at f/2.8 I actually like the OOF rendering on the Canon 35 ltm over the ZMC.

rscheffler wrote:
ening photos...
Joe, that's pretty amazing for ~80 year old lens! Looking forward to seeing more from it. Would be interesting to see what the differences are compared to a post-war coated Sonnar.

I'm quite suprised as well The uncoated version does flare quite easily but otherwise its quite sharp in the center WO and also seems more contrasty than my Nikkor S 5cm 1.4. Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with a coated version and the ZM-C Sonnar 50 1.5.

Gary, hope situation recovers quickly for you all in Calgary.

zhangyue wrote:
Joe, Saw a interview of HCB here, 50mm is the only lens you needed

Thanks for the link. Yes, 50mm could be all we need, but, the question is *which* 50mm for which day?

-----
A few from this afternoon

Nikkor 10.5cm 2.5 ltm

CZJ Sonnar 5cm 1.5 uncoated

OM 50 3.5 Macro

Nikkor 10.5cm 2.5 ltm

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.722 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Good to hear you got a battery Adam. I needed a change of shorts after the salesman told me it would be $190. What can one do though....

A few snaps from the flood waters around here:

Was once a river....

A nearby golf course...

Pathway sign....

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.722 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Wow Joe - I am really liking all the Sonnar pics lately. I am a big fan as well and the Nikkor 10.5cm is one of my faves.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.722 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joe, those look great! I think the 105/2.5 is also a Sonnar based design?
Gary, wow, that's a lot of water! I've been a bit out of touch with the news and just now catching up. Pretty insane! Hopefully Ryan & family are alright.

Here's one with the Canon 35/2 LTM wide open:

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:45 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.722 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Hi Guys, lovely work from every one here. Just to name the usual culprits, Joe, Ron, Zhangyue, Joakim, Gary, Phil, Allen, and our newest friend, Tag.

I haven't shot much recently due to the start of the rainy season in SE Asia.

Here are a few from the weekend.

M9 + Zeiss 35 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.722 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

A few more processed:

M9 + Zeiss 50 Planar by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:57 PM
joakim
• • •
p.722 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Joe, the Sonnar looks great.
Gary, interesting to see some photos from Calgary. Keep your feet dry!
Ron, great rim light on the boy.
Edward, nice to see you back and tow nice sets. The last from the first set and the elephant in the second set are my favorites.

No great photos but for fun I did a quick documentation of my trip from the country side back to Stockholm. 50 Planar.

Local train, Hjältevad-Nässjö

Train, Nässjö-Stockholm

Subway, Centralen-Slussen

Bus, Slussen-Kvarnholmen

Jun 23, 2013 at 02:28 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.722 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Man I just can't keep up this thread moves so fast and so many really good images.
From a job on Thursday

Jun 23, 2013 at 03:15 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.722 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thank you Joakim. Interesting documentary about land travel in Sweden

Allen, is that an actor? Nice shot.

A few more:

M9 + Zeiss 25 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:31 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.722 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Very nice stuff posted here last few days guys Edwards, Joakim, Ron, Allen, Tag, Joe, Gary, zhangyue, and all!

Finally hit the buy button for the Voigtlander 50mm 1.5

Just got hired to do a wedding with nothing but my Mono (dslr backup also) in November, so I am pretty stoked! The family only wants B and W

Phil

Mono with the newly released Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 wide open (my new fav 50, at least for now!)

Still need to take it out for more serious testing, but so far loving! Glad I didn't get the Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux for about 4 to 5 times the cost! Plus the build on the voight rocks!

The visiting Mother in law!

Edited on Jun 23, 2013 at 09:21 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:04 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.722 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward - was beginning to wonder where you were - nice sets. I didn't know there are vineyards in Thailand?
Joakim - cool! Nice that you have these travel options. This is something currently being debated here in the 'greater Toronto' area and the question of course is who and how massive public transit projects (primarily light rail) will be paid for. For all the times I've been to Munich, for example, I never felt I really needed a car to get around. Yet here in Canada, I would feel at a loss without one.
Nice moment Allen - he certainly does look like he could be famous.

Very nice, Phil! I think my new fav 50 is the Canon 1.4 LTM, for now... While visiting friends I had the chance to shoot a bit more with the 50, as well as the 35 (as seen in the one above). What surprised me about the 50, perhaps in line with my reaction to the 35, was that it's quite sharp wide open, at least centrally. Actually, I think it's pretty sharp wide open across the frame, but might have some field curvature, something that will certainly come to light as I use it more. It's a lens I could see myself easily using in place of the 50 Lux ASPH and being nearly as happy with the results. Perhaps not as technically perfect as the Lux ASPH, but with fewer of the 'character' imperfections of the Nikkor 5cm/1.4. Maybe there is something to its nickname "Japanese Summilux."

Canon 50/1.4 LTM:

Canon 35/2 LTM:

Light was through a very small window, hence the rapid falloff. The second 35mm image above IMO is a pretty good example of how this lens isn't great with putting your main subjects well off center, away from the central sweet spot - it's just not that sharp wide open around the edges (but might also be field curvature)...

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:25 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.722 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Ron

You really know how to make that Canon 50/1.4 LTM dance!

No fried chicken and waffles on the menu?

Phil

Edited on Jun 23, 2013 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:29 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.722 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Yep, $205 SGD over here (which actually is slightly cheaper then what you paid, but still, quite a lot for a battery capacity wise Canon/Nikon/Sony would sell for $30-60).. The way I use rangefinders though, I think two will be enough.

Don't go testing the camera's weather sealing in those flood waters! Try to keep dry n safe

Jun 23, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.722 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

A few from the lake yesterday....

50lux pre-asph e46

50lux pre-asph e46

50lux pre-asph e46

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:10 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.722 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Allen, is that an actor? Nice shot.

Why yes it is and thanks.More great stuff from you Edward. Do you watch Criminal Minds? He is a famous Chicago actor and a very good one at that and a GREAT GUY.....

He was the guest of honor at a VIP event I was shooting. I usually shoot a fair amount of B&W for a few of my clients.

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password