1       2       3              721      
       723              2354       2355       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

adamdewilde
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.722 #1 · p.722 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Hi guys great images!

zhangyue - I'm going to LA in September, wish I was in time for the kite festival, would have love to have flown my kites and taken photos.

Charles - I think the reason the M240 looks very film like to you, is because you're using the Noctilux f/1, I'm not saying it doesn't look film like, but that lens has a real way with cameras... Very awesome, and tempting.

BTW, I bought the 50APO in the end... Kinda having a bit of buyers remorse, as I bought it in the evening, and haven't shot with it yet.. But staring at that little lens and thinking that I could have bought a Noctilux, makes me a bit worried... I'll try to take some shots this week, and let everyone know how I feel about it.

Also, my memory cards came in. The verdict, the Extreme pro 95mbps is the best at startup to picture, and startup to live view.. But only a fraction faster then everything else. I still wait a bit.. Instance, I have the camera around the neck hanging down, I flip the on switch with my hand and raise the camera to my eye, I still wait before I can take a photo.. And from sleep, I raise the camera up to my eye and press the shutter, it's still about 2.5 second delay. So really not the improvement that people on the forums claim. I've tried with two M240 cameras BTW, still not getting the .5 to 1 second startup.

Talk later!

Aug 06, 2013 at 11:24 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.722 #2 · p.722 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Andrew and Ryan, many thanks!

Ryan, you successfully convey the atmosphere with the b/w shots. Nice set.

Adam, congrats on the 50 AA. If I had the money it would be my choice as well. The noctilux is a 1 trick pony. One gets tired very quickly of razor thin DOF.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:05 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.722 #3 · p.722 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Edward, 'Carpenter workshop' has great tonality and color.
Ryan, #2 is nice.
Charles, Yeh, I agree with Adam that your 50f1 dominate the image that it remind me your M9 shot before.

sebboh wrote:
lovely shots! my facebook feed was filled with shots that showed a lot more kites there, even more giant squid. is it possible you missed the peak kite time?

No, I didn't miss. but my expectation is way higher There is similar event in China, and they have some really giant ones with many people hold to fly. All big ones here are just giant balloon,not qualify as kite in my book, holding at ground. The organizing is also kind of poor, the hotdog sell at $9 each, the same $15 kite sold in Costco selling at $50+... Not to mention they charge $4 for 3min jumping house..... I don't feel their purpose is make the event but make money...

I was in 'Thomas train event' in Santa Cruz last week, all kid activity are free with Train ticket, food is reasonable too. off topic, I know, don't laugh at me, that is my weekend life, but I do get tons of photography opportunity

Blacksmith at Thomas train event wtih 50cron Rigid from Santa Cruz.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:23 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.722 #4 · p.722 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Nice zhangyue, and yeah I bet it's all about making money. Sad though, as I love to fly kites. I have quite a few of them actually, but Singapore RARELY gets wind, so it's almost impossible to fly the kites that I own.

Agree Edward that the Noctilux might be best used wide open. And yes, I suppose it could get boring fast, but I do love the idea of owning/using it on a M240 when I can actually hit focus.

Aug 06, 2013 at 12:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.722 #5 · p.722 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A few quick questions about Australia (since I've never been).

Going to Sydney, Melbourne, doing the coastal drive, and maybe hitting the Gold Coast if I have time.

Few quick questions for anyone who knows the area.

A) Safe to walk around with my camera, as long as I'm being relatively smart about it?
B) Good areas to stay in, in Sydney and Melbourne?
C) Areas to avoid?

Things to take photos of?

Thanks guys!

Aug 06, 2013 at 02:11 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.722 #6 · p.722 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, Andrew, Ryan, Adam and Michael for the comments and the likes too

Edward, wonderful images from Lebanon, particularly the one of the carpenter workshop. Love the lighting in this shot.

Ryan, beautiful, almost classic rendering to these B&W images. It really captures the mood here.

Michael, very nice images of the blacksmith! I really like the roll off with the 50 Rigid Cron.

Adam, be great to see if you have the chance to visit the Gold Coast
a) It is safe to walk around with your camera. I am surprised as more people recognize the Leica's in Taiwan and Thailand, than they do in Australia.
b) Depends on your budget. Reasonable hotels in Sydney and Melbourne are not cheap, nor is the food. The best is usually to book online with wotif.com or agoda, as there a lot of good deals for 5 star accommodation.
c) There are very few areas that you need to avoid.

Photo opportunities, depend very much on the lighting. Here the lighting can be very harsh, unlike Bali or Bangkok. The lighting in Melbourne towards the later part of day is great, as there is more twilight being further South, and the old style architecture. Sydney has it tourist spots, but I would say it is harder to find good photogenic spots. There are always the beach fronts and national parks. The drive along the coast further North will provide many chances to take some great shots. In doubt give me a call

adamdewilde wrote:
Hi guys great images!

Charles - I think the reason the M240 looks very film like to you, is because you're using the Noctilux f/1, I'm not saying it doesn't look film like, but that lens has a real way with cameras... Very awesome, and tempting.

BTW, I bought the 50APO in the end... Kinda having a bit of buyers remorse, as I bought it in the evening, and haven't shot with it yet.. But staring at that little lens and thinking that I could have bought a Noctilux, makes me a bit worried... I'll try to take some shots this
...Show more

You are right, having the 50 Nocti f/1.0 does lend itself to the film like look. But I am finding with the same files with M240, there is virtually no PP'ing and are very rich in colours, but more importantly there is a wonderful graduation in tonality, which was not there before with the M9 files. I am also finding the B&W conversion yields beautiful tonality too, as the detail and tones are all present.

Congrats on the 50 APO You just need to get out and take some shots! I am sure if the lens's personality does not gel, it will be very easy to move on. If you are a 50 FL'er, I feel the 50 Noct 0.95 is an amazing lens. Personally my budget did not allow, so I of course opted for the f/1.0. I do love the Mandler style, so again it is keeping with my 75 Lux preference too. The thin DOF, does not have to be, as having one FL of 50, I am seeing many great shots with the 50 Nocti 0.95, at f/5.6 with the M240. Having just the one FL of 50, if that is your choice, it yields so many different chances to shoot with varying DOF's, and painting style.

Shots from this morning M240 and 50 Lux @ f/1.4. I find it has been always hard to render the tones of gum trees previously with the M9, and fact many other cameras, but M240 has the better DR and seems to paint them better

Aug 06, 2013 at 07:44 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.722 #7 · p.722 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Great stuff everyone..

Aug 06, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.722 #8 · p.722 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Would be interesting to see what the 50 APO can do. I bet there aren't too many of them out there right now.

50luxasph

Edited on Aug 06, 2013 at 10:40 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:38 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.722 #9 · p.722 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

^^that is a great one^^

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.722 #10 · p.722 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
A few quick questions about Australia (since I've never been).

Going to Sydney, Melbourne, doing the coastal drive, and maybe hitting the Gold Coast if I have time.

Few quick questions for anyone who knows the area.

A) Safe to walk around with my camera, as long as I'm being relatively smart about it?
B) Good areas to stay in, in Sydney and Melbourne?
C) Areas to avoid?

Things to take photos of?

Thanks guys!

In Melbourne, I would recommend the Blackman on St. Kilda Rd. Great little hotel, good prices, and close to the train line. I have stayed there quite a few times and it has always been great. http://www.artserieshotels.com.au/blackman

In Sydney, for some reason I usually stay in B&B's - this one I liked, http://www.simpsonshotel.com
For a hotel, the Park Hyatt Sydney is very good.

It's easy travelling there but quite expensive. Incredible food, wine, and beaches everywhere. I have always felt safe there, even when out in the middle of the night. Have fun!

Aug 06, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rirakuma
• • •
p.722 #11 · p.722 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Lots of great pics lately, especially like Charles' pic of his god daughter and Edward's pics with the 35 . Very lovely skin tones on your pic Charles, you've got me on noctilust again. I've been kinda lazy for the past week but I think I'll go out and hike tomorrow. This one was taken the other day while testing my summarit 5cm, its surprisingly sharp stopped down.

Aug 07, 2013 at 12:58 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.722 #12 · p.722 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Guys real nice!

Jabberwockt - I'll take/post ASAP! BTW with 50lux shots like that, no need for a 50 APO.

Charles and Gary, thanks for the tips. I'll check out the recommendations. And yes I will definitely try to meet up for coffee!

Aug 07, 2013 at 02:30 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.722 #13 · p.722 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Adam,

At the risk of being flamed by other Aussies, Canberra also can be a great city to visit.

Similar to Washington DC in concept of course, but has hills to the south and west to provide good backdrops to civic buildings. You should find it an enjoyable drive down the coast from Sydney to Batemans Bay and then inland to Canberra. PM me if you want more info etc

Waiting on my M9 to come back from repair, then I hope to post more than I did with my M8, not that a choice of body will make me a better photographer!

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:00 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.722 #14 · p.722 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you Rocky Nice sky texture.
Allen, very nice street capture
Jabberwockt, excellent street portrait!

Shots this evening from Currumbin Beach, M240 and 24 Lux

Aug 07, 2013 at 04:23 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.722 #15 · p.722 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

excellence Charles! The first is my favorite, looking at your recent images, it looks you get the same look/feel in your pictures as with the M9P, which is a good thing! What is your personal thought on this?

Aug 07, 2013 at 05:29 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.722 #16 · p.722 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Peter, for the kind words I do feel the M240 is at another level. I was very reluctant to begin with, but the DNG files have a depth which the M9 files do not have. This maybe due to the increased DR and resolution. I don't know. Focusing with RF is amazing now, and every lens of mine is perfectly aligned. In essence, it is fun and easy to take shots!

Aug 07, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Mitch Alland
• • •
p.722 #17 · p.722 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles K., I like the second picture in p.768 #2 because, to me, it doesn't look like the type of color rendition that people seem to be getting from the M240; however, I think that some of your other ones do.

Adam, there are two types of Leica users: Noctibores and Noctiphobes. I had an f/1.0 Noctilux that I was happy to sell for the US$2,400 I have paid for it. Unfortunately, I sold just six months before the huge price run-up. The f/1.0 had a very long focus throw, designed to facilitate precise focusing, like the Summilux-75. But that wasn't good for quick focusing. While I like the Noctilux f/1.0 bokeh sometimes, I wasn't interested in using it often — and I didn't like the rendition of lights or small highlight points as great big globules; but I must say that I prefer the f/1.0 bokeh to that of the f/0.95. While some people do wonderful things with the Noctilux, my feeling is that many just think that it has to be a great lens because it's so expensive — and that shows in the photos of these people.

Here are some more pictures, the first one shot just before sunset at ISO 640 and pushed in post. The little points of light on the horizon are the green light bulbs used by fisherman to attract squid.

No. 1 | Summcron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 1.35 stops | f/4.0 | 1/25 sec

Hua Hin

No. 2 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 160 | f/4.0 | 1/750 sec

Pak Nam Pran

No. 3 | Summcron-28 | ISO 320 | f/5.6 | 1/180 sec

Hua Hin

No. 4 | Summicron-28 | ISO 320 | f/5.6 | 1/180 sec

Hua Hin

No. 5 | Summicron-28 | ISO 320 | f/5.6 | 1/500 sec

Hua Hin

No. 6 | ISO 320 | f/5.6 | 1/180 sec

Hua Hin

—Mitch/Bangkok
Surabaya-Johnny

Aug 07, 2013 at 06:30 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.722 #18 · p.722 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Charles, excellent posts with the new M, glad to hear its working out for you. Color looks no different than your M9-P, but the images have a slightly different look to them...in a good way. Can't put my finger on it, but keep posting!

Jabberwockt, excellent portrait with the Lux!

recently played with a Summitar 50.....not my cup of tea, but here are some samples

and a comparison, at f/2, the Summitar:

and the Voigtlander 50 Nokton II

and to think some people think the Voigtlander has a really busy background

Aug 07, 2013 at 07:14 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.722 #19 · p.722 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Rirakuma, very good eye for noticing and making an interesting shot with those “goose down feathers” clouds (I’m sure there’s probably a scientific name for it).

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.722 #20 · p.722 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rsolti13 - I love swirly bokeh!

Mitch - #2 for me

Charles - Fantastic, your shots all do have a similar feel, maybe it's the nice light.

rirakuma - Interesting photo, love the clouds.

Is it just me, or does the M240 produce insanely large MB tiff files? I'm trying to understand why, my lightroom settings are the same as usual, and I've used cameras that are 24mb and the files haven't been this large?!

And yes, I want to send an APO shot to everyone, believe me, I want to use it, but I just haven't.. Unless you all want to see a quick snap of my wife before we went for lunch (where I had the camera but didn't take a shot, since it was from car, to mall, to restaurant, to car, to home... All indoor lighting, not inspiring).

Aug 07, 2013 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.