Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              720      
       722              1021       1022       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.721 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, looks like a keeper. Interesting flare from the backlight. I definitely have noticed the older 50s can quickly lose contrast if anything bright is in the background.

Yes, the Canon 35/2 LTM has nervous background rendering. It's certainly no 35/2 Sonnar found in the RX1, but I still like it.

Joakim and Scott, nice work with the Zeisses!

Michael, like the last one. As I have experienced when briefly looking after friends' kids, you have to get your shots when you can. They're not going to wait around while you explore a scene.

Mixing it up with Canon and Leica - 35/2 and 21 SEM:

Both wide open and a few mms above the water.

Jun 21, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.721 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice reflections Ron.

One more from last weekend during an impromptu family soccer match...

90cron pre-AA

Jun 21, 2013 at 02:01 AM
joakim
• • •
p.721 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Ron, I like the second one
Michael, the second one for you to. That expression says a lot.
Gary, you need to get Messi more involved in the game. Nice shot.

Here is a set from Midsummer morning, two with 90 Elmarit and two with ZM 50 Planar.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Wilfredo
• • •
p.721 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Cool shots. What camera?

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:19 PM
joakim
• • •
p.721 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks. M9.

Jun 21, 2013 at 03:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.721 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, nice moment!
Joakim, great colors and love the light and tonality in the second!

Visited my favorite local architecture last evening:

90 Summarit:

50 Lux ASPH:

Canon 35/2 LTM:

90 Summarit:

50 Lux ASPH:

Jun 21, 2013 at 04:14 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.721 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for all comments.

Tagfan,The portrait looks great!
Ron, I am surprised to see clarity difference at websize between Canon and Leica in your top set, am I imagine things?
Nice cityscape, I remember you were there before, I love the #3.
Joakim, such beautiful color, but BW is standout for its depth.

Some flower shots from 50lux ASPH f2.8?

Jun 21, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.721 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice Ron. I really like this set but I am a sucker for lines and textures. That 90 Summarit looks to be so sharp. What aperture were most of the 90 shots taken at? Also nice to see blue sky. Here in Calgary we have massive flooding and 21 communities have been evacuated. Just heard the Calgary Saddledome is now up to row 10 in water. We are not used to flooding here and it is hitting us hard today. Good news is that downtown Calgary is closed meaning I have the day off!

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:02 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.721 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joaim - that B&W shot is spectacularly lit; well done
Ron - I now know what Spiderman sees

Jun 21, 2013 at 05:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.721 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Gary, the weather here has been fabulous this week, low 20s, not much humidity, clear sky every day! Most of those images were done at f/8. Whenever I shoot this stuff, I stop down a fair amount, especially with longer lenses like the 90 because depth of field is not as great as one might expect. The 90 Summarit is quite good. I haven't shot any of the other Leica 90s, so not sure how it compares technically, especially to the 90/2.8s. I've tried the 75 Summarit and think it was slightly sharper. Size-wise it's great. The last 50mm was probably around 5.6. I also try to keep the shutter speed at or over 1/250 with the longer lenses. As the sun set and the light dropped, it was not possible to hold both settings for ISO 160 so dropped the shutter speed somewhat, and did notice some images that weren't as sharp as they could be.

Michael - the 50 Lux is great at f/2.8, retaining a nice smooth background. Regarding my first set at the top: you're not imagining things. It's 1960 vs. 2010 lens technology. While you can somewhat see it at 1000 pixels, at full rez, the opposite shoreline is sharp from edge to edge in the SEM file with lots of detail in the trees. The Canon is only sharp in the very center, but even stopped down, it never matches the 'brilliance' of modern Leica and ZM lenses. I did some informal test of it against the ZM35/2.8, and the Zeiss has the edge in overall and micro contrast, as well as color fidelity and saturation. But on its own, the Canon is still very fine. What I see from it is a quality that reminds me of film images from the 70s. Colors are not over the top, but balanced, if slightly on the cool side, which affects the impression of saturation. That's why I suggested it doesn't really fit in easily with my modern kit if I'm looking for higher technical performance, such as the architecture series above. It's included in one image, which feels slightly murky in comparison to the others, though all of those images have had a lot of contrast adjustment. And a few more from it below...

Canon 35/2 LTM:

Leica Tele-Elmar 135/4 (on loan):

90 Summarit:

And one from the 21SEM that doesn't really fit in anywhere in the series

Jun 21, 2013 at 07:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.721 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes, Ron & Michael and everyone else.

Michael, cool pose of your son with the Beetle. 50Lux ASPH back from NJ?
Ron, excellent sets. Did you add vignetting on the 35/2 shot of the lake? Excellent gemoetry and lighting with the cityscape. I think the 35/2 ltm held up well with the other Leica lenses, at least on these sizes shown. For landscape and technical shots, I would stick with set of Leica lenses but for pics of people and everyday life, some of these older lenses still look good.
Gary, another nice shot with the 90Cron.
Joakim, excellent set, nice pop and contrast. Looks like you changed your sharpening script?

zhangyue wrote:
what is special about that $30000+ lens? that is the first time I heard/saw it.

50 f/1.5 lens designed in 1920s by Dr Paul Rudolph when he moved from Zeiss to Hugo Meyer Germany. He designed the Kino Plasmats mostly for cine use but some were made in M39 screw mount, certainly a collector's item. There are some samples on flickr. http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Meyer

----
Best bang for buck accessory for M(240) for less than $80?
OM 50 3.5 Macro.

Jun 21, 2013 at 08:09 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.721 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, In above set, I can't really see the difference between Canon and modern lens. I guess the micro-contrast is not easy to show here. I agree with the difference you mentioned. I feel 35cron is good for resolution itself but will lose in micro-contrast and color with modern lens.. at demand condition.

Here is a example I shot with 35cron V1 Last sunday.

and here is full size or close to 100% crop

Joe, Thanks for the info about that 'monster' (in price). I really like the first one with Oly.

no, 50lux still with Leica NJ, I don't want start a thread to bash them they told me the aperture ring is back ordered and need another 4 weeks after a 5 week delay, the communication has been like a tooth paste action. it will be hilarious if I list the email communication between me and Sarah(Leica), not to mention tons of phone call. I am OK with the delay only because I have some R to play

Jun 21, 2013 at 08:15 PM
leonasj
• •
p.721 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron.good job.all photos of building WO

Jun 21, 2013 at 08:51 PM
leonasj
• •
p.721 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue
, on leica M body/what f?

Jun 21, 2013 at 08:53 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.721 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

the Ultron 1.7 arrived today and I've been testing it out a little around the house. Seems like its fairly sharp on occasion, but suffers pretty badly from purple fringing in bright conditions, none of which you see here.

Jun 21, 2013 at 08:56 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.721 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

leonasj wrote:
zhangyue
, on leica M body/what f?

on M9, exif show f2.8, but I am sure it is at least f5.6. since corner looks clean up as well on that particular shot.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:08 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.721 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Here's another wide open with the Ultron 1.7. Notice the circular background bokeh - I wasn't aware this lens showed the phenomenon, but you learn something every day I guess.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.721 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Scott, looks not bad. I think purple fringing is fairly common with many Voigtlander lenses wide open, especially in high contrast scenes, such as with a bright sky against tree branches. IIRC, I saw this with the 21/1.8. I would have to go back to my 21mm shootout, but want to say it was stronger than the 21 Lux. Anyway, definitely purple fringing with the CV 50/1.5 and 75/1.8 as well. Surprisingly, PF is not really a problem with the Canon 35/2. You can barely see it around things like leaves against a bright sky, but it's a very weak purple and would clean up in LR very easily.

leonasj: Building shots were all stopped down. Mostly at f/8, a few at 5.6. The 21mm shot was wide open.

Michael: wow, that's great detail resolution!

Joe: Quite the bargain. I didn't add vignetting to the 35/2 water shot, but it was shot uncoded, as have all the 35/2 images. I think the vignette looks a bit uneven because the sun was to the left of the frame and therefore the sky was brighter on the left side.

Canon 35/2 LTM stopped down f/8-11:

There was a fair amount of flare in the center of the frame above. Some contrast adjustments got that fairly equalized, but the color was odd, hence the B&W.

135/4 Tele-Elmar (on loan):

Again, B&W due to poor color from lens flare. It also doesn't like fairly direct sunlight and was used with the hood. EXIF says first image of the lone sailboat was 1/4000 f/8. It was probably more around f/11. This to keep the reflecting sun in the water from totally blowing out. Pretty surprising how much you can pull out of M9 files. Consider that the correct sunny ISO 160 exposure at 1/4000 is around f/2.8.

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:44 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.721 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron - that Canon is looking pretty good. Center crop of that first photo please. Actually, I would like to see some evening, low-light shots with that lens WO. I bet it has good performance in that type of environment.

Jun 22, 2013 at 04:45 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.721 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Michael, 35CronV1 seems to be very sharp at least in the center of the frame.. Would you say the rendering on your 35CronV1 and 50Cron Rigid and the R versions are similar? You seem to have accumulated quite a few R lenses recently. Hope it works out well with the 50Lux ASPH, sorry to hear about the issues you had.

Scott, CV 35 1.7 looking very good. Most say the performance on this lens is similar to 35CronIV, really nice. The B&W tree shot shows that this lens works well for B&W.

Ron, both Canon 35/2 and 135T-Elmar looks superb in your hands. 35/2 seems so sharp, unbelievable good. Another excellent set.

Gary, hope all is well for you, Ryan and others in Calgary. Flood looks pretty bad.

------
Quest for 50mm lens continues. Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 (prewar) uncoated circa 1936

From the few initial shots this evening, this is probably my favorite vintage 50s so far short of paying $$$ for a 5cm f/1.5 Hugo Meyer Plasmat. Sharper than my Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 ltm wide open, this is really the deal for a classic lens.

Jun 22, 2013 at 05:39 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password