Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              717      
       719              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

airfrogusmc
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.718 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Phil and Gary.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:23 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.718 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen - never one to disappoint with your great street images. Love the last three in particular. The guy's face in the window was also a good chuckle.

Ahn, wondering if there some Flickr weirdness happening with those images because they look like they have subtle camera shake softness or odd sharpening?

Joe, looks great! I guess if no one can now afford the Cron V1, might as well find a good alternative?

So on Saturday I was shooting a wedding in Toronto, doing the wedding party photos on the University of Toronto campus, and noticed a bunch of photographers suddenly appear. Not your average touristy types with big DSLRs, etc., but many with rangefinder-like cameras (i.e. Fuji X100 style). Didn't really think much of it, then a few approached the wedding party in a definite street photography manner... along with a guy with the name Eric on a name tag. Then I clued in - it was Eric Kim. We had a quick chat - he was leading a workshop over the weekend and extended the offer to join the post workshop dinner meet-up Sunday (it was open to anyone, as posted on his FB account), which I did, along with about 15-20 others.

He passed around his Ricoh GR (kind of got an odd expression here..):

Signed a camera bag divider:

More playing with the GR:

Sharing a laugh:

M9 & 21 Lux

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:42 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.718 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice series with Eric Ron..

The 21 lux looks like one fine piece of glass.

Edited on Jun 17, 2013 at 02:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 17, 2013 at 01:44 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.718 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Ron! Love the deep contrast here

How well do you like th 21? Im thinking of getting one or the 24

Phil

Jun 17, 2013 at 02:04 PM
joakim
• • •
p.718 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Joe and Ron, thank you for the input on my landscape photos. I'm definitely going to have another go at pp'ing both of them, the one with the gate definitely needs a better balance in light between ground and sky and the for the other one I think I'll try to make the stones stand out a little more but also to convert it to b&w.

Ron, great set with Eric Kim.
Allen, another great street set. My favorite is #4.

Phil, for some reason the 21 Lux seems to be much more popular than the 24 Lux. I'm not sure why, maybe the 21 is most unique as it is wider but with the same speed or maybe the 21 is a more traditional focal length in the ultra-wide range.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.718 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice B&W's Ron. Sounds like a good time! I have read a few articles on Eric's blog which were quite good. He has some really neat work.

Jun 17, 2013 at 03:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.718 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks guys. It was fun to meet up with Eric and some Toronto area photographers. I should note some of the images, like the fifth and last one, were cropped a fair amount.

Phil: I like the 21 Lux a lot, with certain caveats. Even with the 21/1.8 now available from Voigtlander, I still think it's a pretty unique lens if you're looking for both light gathering ability at this focal length and maximum subject/background separation. The Voigtlander is comparatively sharp wide open and the background blur difference is not considerable in the center of the frame. Where these lenses differ is in field curvature. Leica has apparently put a lot of effort into attempting to flatten the plane of focus as much as possible (as seems to be the case with all/most of their modern lenses, Luxes in particular). In reality it's somewhat wavy but the center and edges of the frame are about in the same plane. For example, this image from the series above:

The focus is on the Ricoh GR in the center, yet Eric's face is also in focus, as is the X100 in the hand of the photographer on the left. The CV has more typical, traditional field curvature where the focus towards the edges gradually falls behind the point of focus in the center. If shot on the CV, the two on each side may have been somewhat softer. What this also means is background blur/separation towards the frame edges and corners decreases with the CV vs. the Lux. Is this important in practical use? Probably not so much. But at this focal length where everything can quickly seem to be in focus, sometimes having that much more separation can be a subjective benefit. This point and the extra 2/3 stop of light gathering vs. the CV is why I still have the Lux. Shooting the wedding on the weekend there were a number of times when f/1.4 was very useful with the M9. But, shooting an MM or M240, which each have a 1-2 stop high ISO advantage over the M9, and maybe it's no longer such an important consideration.

The caveats of the Lux, IMO, are that it's really best shot at f/1.4-2.0, or stopped down f/8 or more, and its 70cm MFD. It has a nice, smooth rendering wide open for appealing subject/background separation, but stopped down around 2.8-5.6, it develops an odd mid-zone nervous quality where sharpness never seems to be quite right. It makes nailing focus on subjects placed in the rule of thirds quite difficult, and for infinity scenes, the mid-zone area will have a odd quality to the focus. At comparable f-stops, the CV and most other RF 21s I've tried don't seem to share this quality. This, and the high micro sharpness/contrast, are the major reasons I also own the 21 SEM, which is about the most technically perfect 21mm I've ever used. From wide open you can put the subject anywhere in the scene and it will be sharp. For a 21mm lens, Leica's adherence to a 70cm MFD is a limitation. You simply will never be able to fill the frame with small objects, but then, it might also be good for people photos as distortion at near distances certainly becomes quite pronounced. For small object photography, the CV (and ZM21/2.8) allow RF-uncoupled focus to 50cm. At this distance, the 21/1.8 pretty much matches the background blur look of the Lux at 70cm.

My reason for the 21 Lux instead of the 24 Lux was I really like 21mm and if images are a bit loosely framed, can crop appropriately, as I did with some in the series above. Some of the images could have been done with a 28 or 35, but as the light waned, the difference between f/1.4 and f/2 became more significant and I didn't have the CV35/1.2 with me (in part because it's so large). From some discussion with a 24 Lux owner, it appears it has quite similar field curvature and sharpness behavior characteristics shared with the 21 Lux - the MTFs from both are quite similar.

I suppose it will boil down to personal preferences. If you find 24 is wide enough and you're often cropping somewhat, then the 21 might not suit you. If you do a lot of stopped down work and want good across the frame performance at any aperture, then the 21 SEM or 24/3.8 would be better choices. The CV 21/1.8 seems to be the all around 'compromise' lens, but with excellent image quality - fast enough for a lot of low light situations, similar subject/background separation to the Lux, stopped down performance competitive with the SEM or ZMs. But the 21 Lux I really like a lot for candid people photos where f/1.4 really helps them stand out from the background more than you'd expect from this field of view.

If I haven't already bored you with my summary above, a few months ago I wrote up a more detailed review between the 21 Lux, CV, SEM and ZM: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?page_id=130

Also, I'm not sure the 21 Lux is more popular than the 24 Lux. I seem to see many more used 24s available and at least here on this thread, there have been several 24 Lux owners, while prior to Ryan's joining, I was the only one with the 21. My impression is for many, 21mm is an infrequently used focal length and spending the money on the Lux is therefore difficult to justify.

Here is something that caught my eye on the way to the meet-up with Eric last night:

M9 & 28 Cron, 21 Lux, 50 Lux ASPH, 28 Cron

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:44 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.718 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the link Ron and I love the last one in the last series. (28 cron I think)

Jun 17, 2013 at 04:53 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.718 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron the last two are great. Love the way the light was hitting the gargoyles(?), lots of texture, and the abstract but tight framing really worked. I love my 28cron n 50lux, I'm jealous I'm not able to shoot right now.

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:13 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.718 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joakim, I prefer the 2nd one. The first one is nice too, but I will crop the left side out. The branch is distracting.
Phil, the senior portrait looks great!
Allen, nice street set. The #4 is my favorite. Composition is top class.
Ron, enjoy the whole BW set and write up. 21 lux’s Bokeh or I should say out of focus rendering looks very nice. A lens I may never be able to buy but enjoy your results every time I see it. And I like the #1 the most for the color set.

I haven’t shot my M for a while. I miss the analog feeling of shoot it. Yesterday I bring M9 with me for family out. Will post pics later.

In the meanwhile, here are few film shots with M3 and 35cron V1

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.718 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks zhangyue

Very nice work on your end as well

Phil

Jun 17, 2013 at 05:54 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.718 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Thanks zhangyue

Very nice work on your end as well

Phil

Yes Phil I totally agree. Really good work one and all. My favorite FM thread by far.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:05 PM
joakim
• • •
p.718 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, thanks and nice film photos.

Ron, interesting that you think the 24 is more common but I wont disagree with you. Here in Sweden the 2nd hand market for Leica lenses is so small that I have never seen either lenses for sale. Great set, last one is my favorite.

I haven't had my ZM 50 Planar very long but I am very pleased with the results so far and with its smaller size I think it complements my 50 Lux nicely.

Something a little different from the garden this evening with the 50 Planar.

Jun 17, 2013 at 06:45 PM
leonasj
• •
p.718 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Leonas, nice shots with the 90AA. One of my fav Leica M lenses of all time.

thank you.this lens mine fav too.i use it with 1.4x magnifier for nail focus

Jun 17, 2013 at 07:41 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.718 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:36 AM
edwin_sn
• • •
p.718 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

i haven't been able to comment on the previous images, this thread moves fast. And it seems that people are leaning towards b&w these days

i haven't been able to shoot much, been logging around the M4 and have not finished the roll in it yet.
here is my share for today,

M9P+50lux asph

Jun 18, 2013 at 06:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.718 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice, Michael, Joakim, Allen and Edwin!

Received a lens I've been curious about - the Canon 35/2 LTM. Very small lens. Smaller than my ZM35/2.8. I'll write up a bit more about it later, but in the meantime, I like its stronger/busier OOF specular highlights. Reminds me somewhat of the Nikon 5cm/1.4's hard edged blur discs. But the blur discs change across the frame, from somewhat larger and softer in the center, to smaller and harder at the edges. Must be some connection to probable field curvature. By f/4 though the blur quality is much calmer, though of course subject background is much reduced.

Wide open:

Here are three, f/2 through f/4:

It's also quite sharp centrally. Probably best across the frame around f/8.

Here's one at f/5.6, simply because I was impressed it resolved the spokes on the bikes.

Jun 18, 2013 at 08:14 AM
TAGfan
• • •
p.718 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

That's great Ron, happy to see as I bid on one of those last night. Looked interesting, but I ended up winning a 35 1.7 ultron instead

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:22 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.718 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

TriTran, nice set from the market.
Phil, excellent portrait with the 50 0.95! Special lens for a very special visitor
Alllen, another excellent street outing! #3&4 are my favorites. The gate/fence shot is also nice.
Ron, always impressed with your use of UWA lenses including the 21FL. Great set and I really like the B&W pp on these. Those gargoyle shots are also really nice with textured lighting! Finally, congrats on your Canon 35/2 ltm (and your other new lenses ). Can't wait to see more from this lens. I am having GAS attack again
Michael, another nice analog set! 35CronV1 and B&W is a potent combo!
Joakim, nice sun stars! Roses from your garden?
Edwin, excellent composition and colors with the chair and steps!

-------
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50/2 (postwar coated)

Center resolution is quite good for such an old design dating back to the 1930s

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:43 PM
seekuh
• •
p.718 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Hello everybody,

I haven't posted for quite some time due to my work load. I have been featured on Steve Huff's website if someone is interested:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/06/17/shooting-in-nambia-by-hilmar-buch/

Jun 18, 2013 at 01:48 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password