1       2       3              716      
       718              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.717 #1 · p.717 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mitch, nice shots, particularly like the last one

Gary, good samples at high iso. Surprised at how good 3200 looks. That cave could get interesting if you could sneak a tripod in there

going to go b/w this time.....

CV Ultron 21

CV 50 Nokton II

he's got a big one......

Winner, winner, fish dinner!

50 Nikon Sonnar

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.717 #2 · p.717 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Awesome photos Gary, I've always wanted to take my cam out for a caving experience but unfortunately there's literally none where I live. I think you did a great job in the PP, color looks great and banding/noise isn't distracting. You must have a black belt in standing still

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.717 #3 · p.717 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Wonderful work everyone!

Gary, any banding at iso 3200?

Hey Edward. I have not had one image (yet) with banding - even at ISO6400...

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:41 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.717 #4 · p.717 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks rirakuma! One really needs a tripod for such work but they were not allowed...

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:43 PM
rirakuma
• • •
p.717 #5 · p.717 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mitch - lovely colors all throughout your set
Rsolti - love that last shot. For some reason it looks different to the rest for me very lovely tones

A pic from the previous trip with M and 35 lux

Jul 30, 2013 at 02:41 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.717 #6 · p.717 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Couple of not so quick questions for those who care to read/chime in..

Does any M mount lens come close to the 50APO as far as MTF charts are concern?
Specifically the 75APO, how does it do in comparison?

(Hidden motive, I'm considering the 50APO and or the 50 Noctilux) Just for conversation I'll add, the 75APO has a shallower DOF from .7-1m then the Noctilux from the comparison shots I've taken. Although would lose out against the Noct. at say 2m+. It's the only lens (75APO) thus far that I've had to take the sharpness down from default 25 to 0, since it was so sharp it was distracting. And it produces lovely colors, although it's a bit less contrasty then I'd like. Besides it seems to have less distortion then 50mm lenses. And I already have the 50Lux for low light.

My wife and I had a long debate, I'll spare you the details, but her take was: If she used an M240 her two lenses would be the 50APO and 50Noctilux (she's a fifty lover). Her logic, if you want technical perfection, and are in sunny conditions the 50APO is all you need. If you want dreamy bokeh or a good low light lens, the 50Noctilux is all you need. Reason to have both, one's small and makes a good all around lens, the other one is a night-owl like her (but to heavy for all around use). [she did all the research on her own, honest]
To further her argument, she said a fifty is a 35 if you take two steps back, and a 75 if you take two steps forward. So why buy other focal lengths, changing lenses is just a distraction. (Without opening up a can of worms, let's just say she makes a decent argument.)

It started to get me to seriously think about my lenses. I know that the 75APO get's me the closest to the action as possible, since it's 75@.7m, though a 50mm can be cropped enough if needed. The only problem I have is with the wides, I'd obviously need something in the 21-28mm range. But I would only use it, when I was damn sure I couldn't walk backwards, since I feel that's easier sometimes then digging into my bag, and switching to my 28cron. For a while I used 21ZE and 50MPZE on all my walks/travels/free-time, unless I needed a candid lens, then I had the 100MPZE (which rarely came with me), and I thought it was an effective setup.

I'm actually curious what you guys think about owning the two mentioned 50mm lenses, over owning multiple lenses close [35/75] in focal length? Money aside of course, but by all means do some math if you want to illustrate point.

Just a conversation, right now, I have no real intention of selling any of my lenses yet. But thought it might be interesting to ask you guys, since it was sure interesting to talk with my "doesn't really have an interest in photography" wife.

Best,
Adam

Jul 30, 2013 at 06:50 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.717 #7 · p.717 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam I can usually shoot all day with the 50 Nocti, and has your wife says take a few steps back and a few steps forward. This is pretty much all I do when I want to go Nocti for a day, I usually just stop down with it if I need the stops, I pretty much try to shoot 2 or wider w/ND filter so it's nice to have for both worlds

I can pretty much get most of what I need w/21 & 50, but it's sure nice to have the 35 focal needed

Hope this helps

Phil

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:06 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.717 #8 · p.717 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I can get by with 28 and 50 only....the 35 is handy for one lens outings, but I pretty much agree with the step back for 35mm view when shooting 50 and step forward for 75mm view. Once you try to get wider than a 35mm view in a 50mm lens shot though it is too different. The angle is totally different with 28mm where simply taking a few steps back gives a totally different perspective

If my option was 35 Lux, 50 Lux and 75 Cron OR 50 Cron APO and 50 Noctilux I take the 50s. The 75 is an excellent lens in a weird spot sitting between the 50 and 90 Crons. Clearly built for the M8

all this 28 talk just forced me to buy a Cron....I'm out of control

Jul 30, 2013 at 07:56 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.717 #9 · p.717 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Phil, this is all your fault......

Monochrom with CV 50 Nokton II

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.717 #10 · p.717 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
To further her argument, she said a fifty is a 35 if you take two steps back, and a 75 if you take two steps forward.

Adam, I am not sure 50 can replace 35 as FOV change is dramatic enough. (35 might be able to take 50's role temporally, but not other way around.)

If you don't care weight. 50Noxt 0.95 is all you need. It is perfect enough. Otherwise, 28cron +50lux ASPH seems one of best setup for M system. I don;t recommend 90cron simply because of Rangefinder.

With 35lux and 75lux as 2nd setup depend on you mood? you can take 28cron+50lux, 28cron+75lux, 35lux+75lux, or 35lux only.

It is always easy to spend other people's money

Jul 30, 2013 at 08:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.717 #11 · p.717 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice Ryan, I'm starting to get my B and W fix again

Nice post on last page Mitch, Gary, Ryan, and Rocky!

Glad it's my fault

Phil

Edited on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.717 #12 · p.717 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Hey Edward. I have not had one image (yet) with banding - even at ISO6400...

Thank you Gary. This confirms my suspicion that banding is very body dependent. My M9 doesn't show any banding either, even when I push iso 2500 by 1 or 2 stops, while others have complained about banding even at iso 2500 or lower. The M240 seems to be similar in this respect.

Jul 30, 2013 at 09:59 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.717 #13 · p.717 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I somewhat agree with zhangyue regarding focal lengths. It's not as simple as stepping back. For my style of shooting both 35 and 50 are very important. In fact I can live without the 25 and 85 if I had to but life without the 35 would be impossible, followed closely by the 50.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.717 #14 · p.717 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam - I echo some of the other comments regarding the effective perspective of lenses. I did some testing a while ago and the difference was significant (to me anyway) in perspective of lenses close in FL. I say buy as many lenses as you can!

Ryan - What a cool shot with the MM. Well done!

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.717 #15 · p.717 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ryan, I just realize you got MM until Gary's post.
Congrats

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.717 #16 · p.717 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rirakuma, thank you for your help Very nice shots! Thanks guys!

Ryan, great shots, particularly the one of the umbrella! Congratulations on the M-M Love the last B&W shot
Mitch, nice captures! Favorites are the last two

Adam, if you are a 50FL'er, having both the 50AA and Nocti is no issue, as they are completely different lenses. I have both the 50 Lux, and 50 Nocti f/1.0, and I treat them very differently. The 50 Lux has MFD of 0.7m which is very handy, while the 50 Nocti has a MFD of 1.0m, but is a very different beast.

If you lean towards the 35 FL, then no point of having the 50's, and just have a 75 instead.

It would be an interesting poll to take, as to what lenses people settle with after having the M series for about 6 to 12 months. Initially we want all the lenses, but I found I have settled on a few favorites that suit me now. These are the 24 Lux, 50 Nocti f1.0/50 Lux and 75 Lux. On the M-M, the lenses behave differently, and I am liking the 28 Cron/35 Lux more now. The 75 Cron AA on the M-M is also very good, but plain on the M9P.

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.717 #17 · p.717 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Phil, this is all your fault......

Monochrom with CV 50 Nokton II

http://www.soltiphotography.com/Landscape/Leica-MM/i-47Jp6FP/0/XL/L1000092-Edit-XL.jpg

^^^^ Now thats what I'm talking about!!!!

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.717 #18 · p.717 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Here are some more in the same series:

No. 16 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 17 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 18 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 19 | Summicron-28

Pak Nam Pran

No. 20 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

No. 21 | Elmarit-21 ASPH

Pak Nam Pran

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Lanka Footsteps [M-Monochrom/Sri Lanka]

Jul 31, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.717 #19 · p.717 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hope I'm not boring you guy's with kid pics....

50cron V4

Nikkor 5.0cm f/1.4 ltm

50cron V4

180/3.4 APO Tely-T R

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:02 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.717 #20 · p.717 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Adam - I echo some of the other comments regarding the effective perspective of lenses. I did some testing a while ago and the difference was significant (to me anyway) in perspective of lenses close in FL. I say buy as many lenses as you can!

Ryan - What a cool shot with the MM. Well done!

Gary - Totally agree with you about the "as many lenses as you can" theory. However, my problem is, I do end up buying all the lenses, then I end up selling them off because they sit around (I obviously play favorites).. And honestly this is going to sound crazy, but I think the 35cron-asph made me hate 35mm focal length. I bough the lens, used it a hand full of times, hated it so much, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. Sadly however, the reason I bought it was because I sold off my 35Lux-asph (it was optimized for 1.4 shooting). And the only reason I sold it off, is because I felt it was to close to the 50Lux to warrant keeping both.. Silly mistake, because now I want one back, and I can't find it. The FLE is a good lens, but I like the smoky glowing bokeh of the asph better then the typical bokeh of the FLE.
Anyway to be honest, a different lens for a different job, I'd usually take my 35Lux with me when I was going to an event with friends more then 2-3 people total. Going out with just my wife and I, then the 50Lux seems a better choice.

BTW 1st and 4th shot of the kids, nice!

Jul 31, 2013 at 04:21 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password