FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              701      
       703              1382       1383       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Elisemkii

Upload & Sell: Off
p.702 #1 · p.702 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

jojomon11 wrote:
Thanks Ryan, nice landscapes, but the rendering w/your daughter is awesome! Man I just got taken

joakim nice B and W series, Im taken on the last shot, love the mid tones here

Elisemkii nice one of your daughter, how are you liking that nokton?

Phil

Thanks at all for your support :-)
I'm a born on M9 again. I bought the first one on 2010, but I was not able to find the same feeling as my M6/M7/M8, so I've had sold it quickly. Now after two years with Nikon d3x and D800 and some leica R lense I've decided to give at the M9 body one chance once again.
I've changed my mind and no regret.
The 40mm Nokton is an undevalued lens. His bokeh is a little bit nervous for my taste, but it is very sharp in the center of the frame even at f/1.4. The 40's engage the 50mm frames, so you have to fight in you composition, but nothing real annoing.
It is a lightweight lens and with the 75 summarit is an excellent duo for some mountain hike. One lens on the camera and the other in your pocket.

ciao

alberto

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.702 #2 · p.702 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Great pictures everyone!

Thanks for the comments and likes about my last pictures!

rsolti, cotrast, color and Landscape are stunning especially for me as a mountain guy. In terms of framing I don't like so much that almost every picture has the horizon placed in the middle. I believe that in many cases the pictures getting more interesting when the horizon is not placed in the middle. But please , this is just my honest opinion, nothing more or less.

Jul 16, 2013 at 06:47 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.702 #3 · p.702 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Peter....and I do agree with you, would be far more interesting with the horizon below center...the clouds were fantastic

one with the 35 Nokton II

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:39 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.702 #4 · p.702 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Anyways, for those that have used the 35 Summaron or Cron for that matter, what relatively fast 50 renders close? Is it the 50 Cron rigid? Does that have similar character? Is the Cron Rigid minimum focus 1m?

yes. yes. yes.

rigids with good glass aren't cheap, though.

Jul 16, 2013 at 07:53 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.702 #5 · p.702 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks for comments and likes!

Ryan, nice photo of the lighthouse.

B&w with the 50 Summilux

Jul 16, 2013 at 09:12 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.702 #6 · p.702 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice Ryan, love the B and W's, Im partial to B and W's , did you use any colored filters on these?

Nice joakim, really liking what the lower right is doing

Phil

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:28 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.702 #7 · p.702 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hi guys,

Wrote a big long paragraph about my wedding, but decided since this was a photo forum, I'd erase it, and just get to the camera talk. A lot of random thoughts from 4 days of glued to my hands usage.

For the M240 my initial reaction was that it's much easier to focus then the M9 or M9p, I'm guessing the mechanism has been updated, as I'm pretty sure it has nothing or little to do with the window in the viewfinder. Although I love and hate the frame lines.. On one hand, I love how they're illuminated, white is perfect for me. But on the other hand, I really hate how when the camera is off, you can't see the frame lines, and I think that if the lens is coded, it should just show one frame line only, not pairs.. That and the frame line selector button was useful for walking around with multiple lenses with very similar focal lengths in my opinion, and there's no way of putting that sucker back onto the camera now. But I still have that focus and recompose problem, whereby the 50lux (being the worst offender) is fine when focusing and not moving, but still is really bad for portraits at 1.4 when you want to put the in focus area off center. This is obviously a fault of the lens, the 50APO doesn't do this, but I don't want to give up the faster speed for the APO. And I wouldn't keep both 50s (although I was [until the wedding made me broke] considering the 50APO and NOCT, to replace the 50lux). Honestly you do need the speed, since realistically speaking ISO 3200 is the highest I'd go before I'd toss on a flash and/or tripod, and change my style of shooting to accommodate the darkness.

I think that the files look good, but they don't have the same colors as my M9 or M9p and it'll take a while to get use to editing. I don't think the files are worse because it's a CMOS, I think they just need a lot of time for me to get use to them. I STILL have a problem with the files at 100% I think both the M9 and the M240 don't have clean base iso files, they're grainy and gritty on the M9 and milky and gritty on the M10. The canon files were the best for this (at base iso), but nikon isn't to far behind canon at all.. Leica, way behind. I honestly feel like it's a much smaller sensor then it is (I personally think they packed to many MP onto 35mm, 16mp seems to be the sweet spot, while 12 [D700/5D] is preferred). But if you all can recall, I complained about this before, and none of you seem to agree with me on this point.

I love that you can shoot video without turning the back screen on. It made for a hilarious video at the wedding since nobody knew it was filming (not even the person using it, wasn't me BTW, I didn't see my camera all night, a friend stole it, and I just ate dinner and walked around to talk with ppl who flew in for the wedding). But I see the real world usefulness of it.

I sold off all of my remaining lenses (both Leica and other), and kept the 28cron, 50lux, and I added a couple of Leica lenses, one was the 75 Summicron-APO which I've always wanted to own, and I'll post a few shots with the camera and various lenses soon (also kept the 50 1.5 LTM, as my fiance uses it for portraits sometimes on her NEX or on my X-E1, but we'll pretend that it's her lens).

Auto-White Balance sucks.. No two ways about it, it just sucks. You're better off picking a broad manual setting, and just sticking the camera on DNG mode.

Also, it takes really really really long to write to card, and I've tried several cards (anyone got recommendations on faster cards, or cards that work well with the M240). And I've noticed that startup from off to on is faster then startup from sleep mode to on. Also, I've noticed that when the camera is writing, it's really non-responsive with iso/menu/liveview/playback etc.. Others getting this feeling? BTW, it's all better then on the M9, but nowhere near as good as the Nikon/Canons..

One last point, it's comfortable in the hand, more so then the M9, and it feels more solid. I don't like the mic holes, and think they could have done without sound, maybe a mini jack? Or some hot shoe only attachment for sound that they sold at a reduced price, or added for free.. Mini jack hot shoe attachment for free would be best, better then mic hot shoe for a fee..

Anyway, have to pack up for portrait work now, will try to do some quick edits and post later on tonight.
(Might use the M240 for portraits today).

Best,
Adam

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:16 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.702 #8 · p.702 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joakim, Phil. Phil, no filters used. I don't have any, wouldn't know which color to use with varying light. LR is my friend

Joakim, like the B/W. How long did you have it open for? Too bad the leaves on the left are blurry, very nice overall

Adam, excellent write up. I look forward to seeing some images from you. How many stops different do you find the ISO vs the M9? ISO 1200 on the M9 looks similar to what on the M?

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:45 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #9 · p.702 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, very nice Write up and congratulations for your wedding! Your experience echoes what other users have reported back from using the M.

I am not sure why you say M9 files are grainy and gritty at base iso. In my experience it has the cleanest base iso of any camera I have ever used. Of course some grit is due to the lack of AA filter, but definitely there is no grain to be seen. I'm a bit concerned about the milky files of the M. I have noticed this myself in online samples but some claim it is due to the better DR, and a little boost in contrast should cure it, but I'm not so sure about that.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.702 #10 · p.702 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I am not sure why you say M9 files are grainy and gritty at base iso. In my experience it has the cleanest base iso of any camera I have ever used.

I am with you here, Edward. Out of all the Nikons, Sonys, OMD, etc I have used, M9 has the cleanest base ISO....well maybe the exception is the RX1. You want to see poor base ISO, try the OMD .

The M9 is about as perfect a camera can be for me, except the high ISO. I wish it was a couple stops better. My perfect camera would be the M9 with an upgraded CCD sensor (sorry, don't want CMOS and don't care about live view....or video....or adapting slr lenses) for better high iso performance and a quieter shutter. That's all I want. Don't need the other (dare I say) gimmicky stuff so we can attempt to justify a $7,000 price

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #11 · p.702 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
I am with you here, Edward. Out of all the Nikons, Sonys, OMD, etc I have used, M9 has the cleanest base ISO....well maybe the exception is the RX1. You want to see poor base ISO, try the OMD .

The M9 is about as perfect a camera can be for me, except the high ISO. I wish it was a couple stops better. My perfect camera would be the M9 with an upgraded CCD sensor (sorry, don't want CMOS and don't care about live view....or video....or adapting slr lenses) for better high iso performance and a quieter shutter. That's
...Show more

Mirroring my own thoughts In fact, apart from the better high iso, I also would have loved the improved RF mechanism with tighter tolerances. Otherwise, indeed, I have no use for the gimmicks neither.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.702 #12 · p.702 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Phil and Ryan!

Ryan, the exposure was 0.5 sec and I had to stop down to f/11 to get a longer exposure since I didn't have a filter with me.

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:06 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.702 #13 · p.702 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Mirroring my own thoughts In fact, apart from the better high iso, I also would have loved the improved RF mechanism with tighter tolerances. Otherwise, indeed, I have no use for the gimmicks neither.

I'm hoping that Leica makes an M-E without the bells and whistles and the new CMOS sensor (NO VIDEO PLEASE)....

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:19 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.702 #14 · p.702 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

how about some pictures?

CV 21 Ultron

CV 50 Nokton II

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:28 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.702 #15 · p.702 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Long story short...ended up with a free Nikon 50 f/2 Sonnar in LTM. Very cool rendering at near distance wide open

this one at f/2.8

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.702 #16 · p.702 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Wow Ryan, free gear is almost always a good thing. Looks great here.

Adam, great write up. I'm very interested in how you resolve the slow card write times. It's probably a matter of finding the right cards, but Thorsten Overgaard has also indicated the M240 isn't as much of a speed demon as I would have liked/expected, especially at higher ISOs. Considering how the M9 already frustrates me in high-paced shooting situations (i.e. weddings), it somewhat concerns me.

I agree with Adam that the M9 at base ISO has noise. I personally don't consider it an issue, as it adds some 'tooth' to images and keeps them from looking plastic and digital.

Sorry for not commenting on everything over the last couple pages since my last post. Been away from the computer. Was visiting friends with a newborn last evening, and during the visit noticed a banding problem with the M9. This same thing happened to me at the end of a wedding a couple weeks ago, but was limited to maybe 6-10 images.

Sample:

More examples

Here's an explanation:

This happened on two different cards, though both were Transcend 16GB SDHC class 10, and two batteries. I shot about 230 images during the visit and it started to appear about 1/3 of the way into the set and suddenly stopped about 1/4 from the end of the set. In the middle section of 95 images, 45 have this banding. While 45 images out of 231 is 'only' 20%, during the period in which this banding is visible, it's almost 50% of the total. When the banding started I was running out of space on the card (but didn't realize it at the time) and actually got the card full message. At that point I also swapped out the battery, which was at about 50%. I should note that I'm still using firmware 1.176, primarily because of how discreet mode on the shutter release was compromised by the latest firmware release, at least from my understanding. I think most of these were done with single frame advance, rather than continuous. I also generally avoid reviewing images before the red activity light stops blinking. But the banding still appears in images on the fresh card and battery, though not in the last 52 images. As mentioned isn't the first occurrence. I noticed it in a handful of images I shot at a wedding about a week ago but at the time it seemed like an anomaly. Now to have 45 images in a fairly tight cluster affected by this, is shaking my confidence in the camera. I've seen this banding with my camera before, but usually it was very rare and one-offs.

More info: The banding is visible in the camera's previews, therefore I'm ruling out a bad card reader on the computer. I've seen similar banding from my Canon images, but every single time it was a card reader problem and didn't originate in the camera. It's got me thinking maybe the card reader in the camera is going.

Probably needs to be sent to Leica, but the problem with that is I'll be without the camera for weeks on end. Not really feasible, though if this persists, the camera also isn't reliably usable.

With the M nearly impossible to find, maybe a used M9 as back up is in order, though I'd rather put that money towards an M. I always knew there was some risk relying on a single unique camera as part of my overall kit, but seems I'm finally forced to face the consequences.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Jul 17, 2013 at 04:44 PM
seekuh
• •
p.702 #17 · p.702 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, did the banding occur at low iso or high iso settings?

Even if you sent the camera to Leica, I doubt they would confirm a banding issue due to a specific fault of YOUR camera since banding issues seem to happen from time to time with all M9s. Hope I'm wrong.

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:10 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #18 · p.702 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Sorry to hear about this problem, Ron. It never happened to me so I can't help here, but the Leica user forum is where you should ask, as they seem to know of every possible problem with the M9.

Jul 17, 2013 at 05:11 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.702 #19 · p.702 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, even I have't had any problem since update the firmware. I don't think I can rely on leica M9 as professional tool for wedding. Reliability is way more important than Slightly IQ advantage.
My guess is internal electronics get heat up during heavy usage cause the abnormal writing or even capture problem in sensor. I'd say leica just don't have the expertise of canikonoy's mass production even their units assembled by hand, inspected by human. We are not talking about build a chair, leather bag, or even lens. Electronics device testing is a huge investment from any company that can not be handled by leica either finically or technically.

A camera rely on mechanical coupling for focus always be a problem, especially at f1,f1.4, not mention focus recompose error. What you gonna do the body get a bump shift the focus in the middle of wedding?

I enjoy use M9 and it is my most loved camera so far but for wedding, professional use, it can only be used as 2nd body at most.

Great shots, guys. I will add some travel photos from last week later.
From iPhone, sorry for typo.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:09 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.702 #20 · p.702 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Long story short...ended up with a free Nikon 50 f/2 Sonnar in LTM. Very cool rendering at near distance wide open

wow, Im jealous.

I bought one off KEH in UG condition hoping it was only the outside that was in bad shape, but it had some internatl problems so I had to send it back ones in good shape go for so much, I cant justify one.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:41 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password