Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              701      
       703              1064       1065       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.702 #1 · p.702 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Phil and Ron!

Phil, I agree with you on the rendering on those modern lenses compared to the older Mandler design. Its nice to have choices I've decided to stay with the f/1.0 for now. The 0.95 is an engineering and optical tour de force, but right now I prefer the imperfections and swirly bokeh of the f/1.0.

Ron, nice water droplets and excellent pp as always. Looking forward to more pics soon! From my initial shots with both the pre-ASPH 50 and Nocti 1.0, they seem to render differently. The pre-ASPH design was a carry forward from the 50 1.5 Summarit, so I think they should share similar signature and rendering.

Gary, excellent set! Really sharp and pops. #1 is my favorite. Agree with you, M240 is quite forgiving on the highlight recovery.

------
A few more,

ZM50P arrived this evening and took it out for a test drive Wow, it sure is different from my other 50s. Zeiss pop and contrast? Edward would be happy
All shots at f/2

Came home and another package arrived at the front door.
1950s Canon 50 1.8 ltm. #1 f/1.8, #2 f/4.

Really compact, similar in size to the Nikkor 50 1.4 SC but lighter. How I wish all of my other 50s were this small.

May 29, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.702 #2 · p.702 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice Joe. That ZM50P is such a nice lens. I kinda wish I never sold mine....

May 29, 2013 at 03:35 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.702 #3 · p.702 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary.

May 29, 2013 at 03:53 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.702 #4 · p.702 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Phil, Joe, Ron,

Phil, congrats on the new lens! 0.05 does make a difference
Joe, I kind of like the Zeissman nickname, thank you Congratulations on the new Planar. I see you can extract more 3D from it than me already What I really like TBH is the color rendering of the M 240. In your last 2 sets color is wonderful, no matter whether with Leica, Nikkor, Canon or Zeiss.
Ron, very nice set. love the blue cast and the clarity of the pictures.
Gary, no. 1 and 3 are my favourites. Who's that suicidal photographer by the way?

May 29, 2013 at 04:59 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.702 #5 · p.702 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Joe love the wagon shot! That looks like Steve Huffs 50 1.8

Agree with you totally also Joe, going to be hard to try to duplicate the rendering of the 1f with the 0.95, we'll see you know me , also the sharpness looks clinical on the .95 to me vs the crispiness of the 1f which I preferred

Edward totally agree with you on that! I tested it tonight at 8 pm and was getting highlights in the sky still! I probably need to use my nd filter for night shots seriously

Phil

May 29, 2013 at 06:17 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #6 · p.702 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, I really would like to know what kind of PP did you do on the Planar images. They seem to pop out of my screen. I suspect you used the clarity slider?

May 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #7 · p.702 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

More 50 Planar, special for Joe!

M9 + Zeiss 50 Planar by edward karaa, on Flickr

May 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.702 #8 · p.702 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Ryan - a great argument for the 90AA! The lens has a really nice presence. I also asked on your Flickr, but might as well here too: wondering if you've noticed any high ISO banding with the M240 and whether Dfine is effective at removing it? Don't show your Leica stuff to your neighbour - next thing you know he'll show up with an Hermes edition on photo walks. Station wagon is good - I was contemplating the A4 Avant but found a nice used low mileage sedan instead. I've always like the first-gen A6 Allroad...

It's actually been really interesting using the M240, in that I've never used a few of my lenses on anything but the Monochrom (75 Lux and 21 Lux). 6 full months of shooting nother but B&W and you forget about things like CA and Saturation!

I haven't seen any banding on the M240 yet, but I haven't done any pushing in PP either. I do notice it on the Monochrom at ISO8000+ and I've found Dfine has done an adequate job using the automatic profiles. I haven't put any time into learning how to adjust Dfine yet, so I'm probably not doing it justice. Tonight I'll post up an example from the Mono with before and after for you to see.

My station wagon is a Audi S4 Avant with a supercharged V8 , but it's still a station wagon

May 29, 2013 at 03:43 PM
joakim
• • •
p.702 #9 · p.702 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes!

Nice to see the 50 Planar photos since I did decide to expand my Zeiss line recently and bought the 25 Biogon and the 50 Planar which arrived yesterday. Hopefully I get some time soon to go try them out.

Here are two with the 28 Summicron from the same trip.

May 29, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.702 #10 · p.702 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great to see some landscape shots Joakim! Well done. PS - what was the length of exposure in the last pic?

May 29, 2013 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joakim
• • •
p.702 #11 · p.702 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary. The exposure was 8 seconds.

May 29, 2013 at 04:31 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.702 #12 · p.702 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

The thread start marching again. Thanks for all your comments. Ron, Edward, Joe. Appreciate.

Gary, Ryan, M240 looks great. Its DXO score indicate it is a capable sensor.

Phil, congratulate for 0.95. high contrast is manageable in PP but not sharpness. 0.95 is for isolation and night

Ron, I love those splash shot. All of them. About Turnaround time: Not bad at all, way better than last time. initially Leica quote me 2 week, but since I have made several request about it, it ship back to me within 3 week.

Joe, the Nikkor is indeed impressive lens, Bokeh looks great. Your planar shot along with Edwards’ really impress me, it almost remind me MP50.

Edward, I enjoy your street shots. The color and contrast are just about right. What is most used aperture for you on street?

Joakim, I like #1, very 3D.

35cron V1

50cron Rigid

Another one in different angle post pre-pg

May 29, 2013 at 05:12 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #13 · p.702 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue and Joakim, thanks for the comments!

Joakim, 1st shot is outstanding. Love the yellow moss on the rock.

Zhangyue, the color combinations in the second shot are amazing. You are very right that the ZM 50 planar and ZE 50 MP share a lot of their "signature", in the same way as the C-Sonnar 50 and the ZE 50 planar. I shot most if not all of the sets above at f/2.8.

May 29, 2013 at 05:24 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.702 #14 · p.702 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, Phil, Michael

Phil, if you have the funds, I suggest keep the 0.95 and get an older f/1.0 like the one you already had. Different.

Edward, another excellent Zeiss set! Love it!! Your shots and pp look great as they are, no need for further clarity adjustments in my opinion. The skin tones on some of your recent portraits are beautifully rendered. Instead, I should ask you for advice.

Joakim, #1 with the 28Cron is stunning! Congrats on the new lenses and looking forward to your Zeiss impressions on the M9.

Michael, another nice set. Really like the fist shot with the 35Cron Is that a helicopter in the middle of the frame? The 50Cron Rigid seems to have a more gentle rendering, nice in a different way.

edwardkaraa wrote:
Joe, I really would like to know what kind of PP did you do on the Planar images. They seem to pop out of my screen. I suspect you used the clarity slider?

PP in LR4. Increased overall contrast but I use adjustment brushes to burn and dodge, with local clarity on the area I want more pop (except for skin), also sharpening and masking, slight desaturate on yellows and greens, and finally brush off unwanted highlights I think I need to try Photoshop at some point. Was always put off by the initial purchase price, but now with the $20/month model, it could be worth a try?

This was the DNG out of camera for one of the pics

----
A few more ZM50P for Edward

May 29, 2013 at 06:00 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #15 · p.702 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow, Joe, you really know how to make the planar sing! I guess we will see more guys buying this lens soon

You do quite a lot of adjustments in LR. I only adjust WB and a bit of contrast as the default setting is quite flat in the latest 2012 process. Nothing else, I'm a purist

May 29, 2013 at 06:19 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #16 · p.702 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

The last 4 images from last Sunday shoot. The 3rd shot cost me 20 baht "donation" but it was money well spent

May 29, 2013 at 06:21 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.702 #17 · p.702 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

After much perusing of this thread over the last few years I'm happy to finally join it.

M9 + ZM50

May 29, 2013 at 06:50 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #18 · p.702 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Oh, another planar user!!! Welcome to this thread TAGfan Very cute shot.

May 29, 2013 at 06:53 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.702 #19 · p.702 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Edward! I agree with Joe, the skin tones in many of your images look perfect on my displays. I really like the light in the second above and is there a story to the persons in #3? I.e. aboriginal, etc.?
Michael: very bold colors!
Joakim: congrats on the new lenses. The first one also really stands out for me.
Welcome TAGfan - very nice! Wow, a sudden ZM50 resurgence - great to see!

It's easy to forget just how good the ZMs are after not using mine for a while. I think what bugged me with my copy of the 50/2 was not hitting infinity from wide open and needing to stop down past f/4, but still the corners lagging a bit. As a result I typically shot it f/8 and smaller. With the 50 Lux ASPH I find it's good at pretty much everything at all apertures - in other words, I don't need to think about it too much while shooting. Could just be my ZM50 needs some calibration. I really like it a lot on the GXR and NEX.

Joe, the Canon 50/1.8 looks nice and enjoying your ZM images too! Depending on the OS and hardware you're running, you can try CS2, which is available from Adobe for free. They shut down the activation servers for it, but still provide it on their site, though you'll have to set up an Adobe account if you don't already have one. I believe they state you're supposed to have bought a copy originally, but there doesn't seem to be any effort to confirm this. It's the last version I installed on my systems directly from disk and never bothered to upgrade because I felt it pretty much did all I needed. If you're running Macs, you need hardware that supports PPC code via Rosetta, which I think means 10.6 or older. Considering the cost of CS6 or maintaining a subscription indefinitely, it might be worth getting CS2 and keeping around an older computer as your PS workstation instead.

Ryan: that's definitely a nice 'station wagon.' Seems there are a few Audi drivers in this thread...

Lake Erie & 50 Lux ASPH:

May 29, 2013 at 06:53 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.702 #20 · p.702 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, thank you very much for the comments.

Beautiful set as we expect from you The first shot is very powerful. I like it the most. As for my 3rd shot, it's just a weird character wearing some kind of theatrical wig.

I think your planar needed a visit to Zeiss for calibration. Too bad you sold it.

May 29, 2013 at 06:58 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password