Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              697      
       699              1004       1005       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.698 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward

Gary, I have contacted seller, thanks for the link. Your M240 should be on the way home? Can you share some shots with the Canon 50 1.4 & M240? I think Gary can do the 50 pre-ASPH and Canon 50 1.4 shootout for us sice he has both

Ron, agreed, 50AA can be a do all lens with a few others you suggested. I would have considered the 50AA if it was closer to $4k but at $7k I am not as excited and will give it a pass for now. Contrary to what some of you may think, I do not have unlimited funds

At the moment, for 50s I am smitten by two lenses, the 50/1.0 and the Nikkor 5cm. Both are really fun to use.

Here is an interesting older article which might of interest to some of you
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/fastlensreview.shtml

May 24, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.698 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Gary, I have contacted seller, thanks for the link. Your M240 should be on the way home? Can you share some shots with the Canon 50 1.4 & M240? I think Gary can do the 50 pre-ASPH and Canon 50 1.4 shootout for us sice he has both

Yep - just got my M240 back last night. Everything appears to be in order and they included that Leica self portrait book as well. Too bad it is pouring rain here and it won't stop until Sunday... I would happily post some M240 + Canon shots but I have loaned my lens out to an esteemed member of this forum. Not mentioning names or anything! Besides, I have many other 50s I can use in the meantime. I could make an attempt to do the Canon/Pre-ASPH shootout, but don't have high expectations. I am not as technically proficient as you and many others on this forum.

May 24, 2013 at 09:15 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.698 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Besides, I have many other 50s I can use in the meantime.

Apparently I'm not the only sick one

May 24, 2013 at 09:48 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.698 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Thank you Zhangyue. If I decide on the cron it will be the AA.

Can't go wrong with the 90Cron AA. I never really liked the 90FL on the M but made a mistake when I decided to borrow a new one to try and I could not part with it. Personally, the 90Cron AA is probably one of the most impressive lens I have tried in the Leica line up in terms of sheer performance but that was before the 50AA. The 90AA used to be difficult to find, and now used ones are popping up at attractive prices, I think its a good time to get one.

May 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.698 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

BTW, Stephen Gandy just announced the pricing for the new Notkon 50 1.5
$899 for black and $1049 for chrome. Available end of June.

May 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.698 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Apparently I'm not the only sick one

Wow I feel normal now Joe

Phil

Nice lens comparisons on these last few pages guys!

May 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.698 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice Joe - 90AA is also on my radar, but the Summarit has been very capable for when I need 90. I seem to recall Charles and others mentioning many 90AAs requiring readjustment for correct RF focusing, which was a bit off-putting. Agreed that there seem to be more available used...

The 'new' Nokton looks cool. Of course the chrome is priced higher (not sure if it's a Gandy thing, like his high 35/1.2 v.2 pricing)... But, as far as 50s go, I'm not interested in its optical qualities. I have the old version, which apparently is optically identical, and find it to be rather uninteresting. Sharp enough centrally, but not superb across the frame and nothing special for character.

Gary:

May 25, 2013 at 02:45 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.698 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, my 90Cron AA did not need adjustments but it was a newer serial starting 4xxx. I tried an older 90Cron pre-ASPH and focus on that copy was all over the place. Also agree, 90Summarit is no slouch.

jojomon11 wrote:
Wow I feel normal now Joe

Phil

Oops, I forgot Phil, who probably has a secret stash of 50s in a vault somewhere? So how many 50s do you have now?

May 25, 2013 at 02:56 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.698 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Can't go wrong with the 90Cron AA. I never really liked the 90FL on the M but made a mistake when I decided to borrow a new one to try and I could not part with it. Personally, the 90Cron AA is probably one of the most impressive lens I have tried in the Leica line up in terms of sheer performance but that was before the 50AA. The 90AA used to be difficult to find, and now used ones are popping up at attractive prices, I think its a good time to get one.

http://josephow.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v89/p1599786452-5.jpg

Very nice one Joe. Do you remember any focus shift? I have read a few conflicting reports.

May 25, 2013 at 03:18 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.698 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, actually I have not tested it on this copy nor really noticed it. Biggest problem was to actually nail focus at f/2, so I normally cheat and shoot at f/2.8 or f/4. I'll run some test when I have some time but I know that earlier copies had focusing issues, so probably best to check carefully if you are buying used.

May 25, 2013 at 03:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

zhangyue
• • • •
p.698 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, I sense something here, are you prepare your M240 now ? Even for Elmarit, I many time opt for shooting at f4 to avoid surprise back home once zoom at 100%. However, the biggest hang up is frame accuracy, especially for city and landscape stuff.

AH! BTW, I will laugh hiddenly for Edward start choosing Leica lens now

Joe, that is a nice illustration for 90AA. Like the geometry in Bokeh and isolation.

Nocton $899, they wish. That is just too much increase unless there is change in formula.

This pg need some photo:

50cron Rigid

May 25, 2013 at 05:20 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.698 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sorry to disappoint you guys, especially Zhangyue, but I just found a mint copy of the Sonnar 2/85 and ordered it I remember Ron tested it a while back and I really liked the results despite the purple fringing in overexposed high contrast areas. He also said it is much easier to nail the focus due to the special helicoid that has to be hand-assembled in Germany.

Very nice shots above, Zhangyue. Colors in the top shot are fantastic.

May 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.698 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great pictures in this thread as always.

I seem to be an infrequent visitor these days.

To be somewhat on topic, I have the following 45-50s in LTM or M mount:

50 Cron Type 4
50 Cron DR: yes, I know that's of very limited use on an M8, but I also now own an M6
Jupiter-8
Contax G45/2 converted.

A few from the G45 on my M8, all at ISO160

1. Manchurian Pear leaves, f6.3

2. BIF - I got lucky! f3.5

3. f5.6

4. can't recall aperture, but probably f8 or 11

May 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.698 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Congrats on the lens Edward. I bet it will be a great performer!

May 25, 2013 at 02:34 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.698 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you guys, especially Zhangyue, but I just found a mint copy of the Sonnar 2/85 and ordered it I remember Ron tested it a while back and I really liked the results despite the purple fringing in overexposed high contrast areas. He also said it is much easier to nail the focus due to the special helicoid that has to be hand-assembled in Germany.

Very nice shots above, Zhangyue. Colors in the top shot are fantastic.

Congrats.....

May 25, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Tri Tran
• • • •
p.698 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Farmers' market with Summicron 50mm Version 5

Summicron 50mm1_24 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Summicron 50mm1_26 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Summicron 50mm1_27 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Summicron 50mm1_30 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Summicron 50mm1_38 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Summicron 50mm1_39 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Summicron 50mm1_47 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

May 25, 2013 at 04:55 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.698 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Picked up my M a few days ago!

M + Noct @ 0.95

L1000099 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1000106 by ryankarr, on Flickr

May 25, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.698 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Congrats Ryan! I suppose all this rain has forced you to shooting in parkades? Look forward to more....

May 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.698 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Congrats Ryan! Interesting cars in your building's garage, considering you guys in AB have all of a few weeks of summer in which to actually drive these kinds of cars...

Congrats Edward! I know you've wanted this lens for a long time. Yes, I was surprised just how easy it was to focus wide open at all distances. Did you find it locally?

Nice sets Michael, Lenticular and Anh!

Just a few I don't think I posted, from about a month ago... Port Dover, at Lake Erie

M9 & 28 Cron x2 and 50 Lux ASPH

May 25, 2013 at 08:50 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.698 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Awsome shots guys

May 25, 2013 at 09:12 PM
       699              1004       1005       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell