Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              695      
       697              1027       1028       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.696 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Lots of great shots...lazy weekend so all I have is shot from my deck chair
Canon 100/2 LTM on M9 (w/o?)

May 21, 2013 at 02:17 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.696 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, that 'Nocturnal delight' is surreal. Nice work. That is usually what SLR for controlling DOF
Phil, nice tonality
Edward, Love the first one.

Some more 35cron V1 from Hangzhou. (I will continue post 35cron until somebody commit to buy it )

May 21, 2013 at 05:01 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.696 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks for the comments and likes, Phil, Joakim, Ryan, Charles, Edward, Allen, Michael!

Edward, excellent set with the Zeiss lenses. PP is really nice on the first two with the ZM35/2. #2 & 4 are my favorites, #2 has so much going on, really interesting photo and the exposure is spot on.

Carl, the Canon 100/2 LTM shot looks really nice.

Michael, how much for the 35Cron? When you decide to sell, let me know. But what will you replace it with? I like the balanced composition on the 2nd shot with both the cups on each side.

-----
A few more from last night's walk. 50/1.0 wide open

May 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.696 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice B&W's Joe. It must be nice to have a spare Leica to use whilst the other is being repaired.... No idea when mine will be returned but it looks like it now made it back to NJ and they are giving the sensor a clean before it is shipped to me. Must be patient I suppose!

May 22, 2013 at 02:47 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.696 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Michael, how much for the 35Cron? When you decide to sell, let me know. But what will you replace it with? I like the balanced composition on the 2nd shot with both the cups on each side.

No, no, you misunderstand me. I am not trying to sell mine. but want to have more people with lens on this board. Since your 50lux Pre-ASPH is keeping push me to the cliff. Another wonderful set.

If you can find this cron V1 at decent price, it is a strong BUY. recommended, but not for $3000+ ebay price.

Now again, 35cron V1

I will keep trying until run out of pic

I got my tracking # of M9 I look forward for its new look with M9-P leather cover.

May 22, 2013 at 07:15 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.696 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Zhangyue, Joe!

CVickery, love the rendering and color of the Canon 2/100, and the slightly greenish WB works perfectly.

Joe, the first shot is very appealing. Very nice set altogether. I think the Noctilux f/1.0 works very well with the MM.

Zhangyue, beautiful color and composition!

Gary, glad to hear the good news!

May 22, 2013 at 08:03 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.696 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I got a question for you guys. I am intending to compact my lens line up to only 4 lenses, so I decided the 4/18 should go, since it is by far my least used FL. The question is, do you think the 25 is wide enough, or should I replace it with the 21? I'm actually quite happy with the 25 performance and use it quite often (though I didn't post much recently), so I'm tending to keep it, but I'm not sure yet if the 21 would be a better option.

May 22, 2013 at 02:29 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.696 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I dont know how we are supposed to tell you that Edward; you're just going to have to evaluate a 21 and decide between it and the 25 IMO.

I mean 50 is wide enough for me. It's also long enough for me. So for me if I was going to be gifted either I would take the 25 for it's IQ.

May 22, 2013 at 03:47 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.696 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Gary, Michael, Edward.

Michael, since you like the 50Lux R, don't you want one for the M9 Another nice one with the 35CronV1, very contrasty. I agree, $3k seems expensive, this seems more like for collectors.

BTW I somehow ended up with 2 copies of the 50Lux pre ASPH E46. If anyone is interested, send me a pm.

Edward, for 4 lenses, I would go with 18/21, 28/35, 50 & 90. 18 if you really need it for landscapes, architectural or geometric compositions. 21 seems more practical if you want to include faces of people with slightly less facial distortion? I'm not a 25FL person since its too close to a 28Cron. My advice is to keep them all

May 22, 2013 at 03:56 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.696 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Red and Joe. I sold the 18 already today. It was a fast transaction from one guy who bought from me before. TBH, I'm not an UWA person. I have owned the eos 20/2.8, CY 18/4, ZA 16-35, and now the ZM 18, and altogether, I think each lens has been used once or twice in the entire time I owned it. I may have to buy a ZM 21 and evaluate it by myself. The FL is too close to keep both, but my main interest in the 21 is the higher center sharpness and lower corner sharpness than the 25, and the alleged field curvature that should produce interesting effects up close.

May 22, 2013 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.696 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward, give the CV 21 1.8 a try. Its a nice lens and f/1.8 for low light or subject separation could well provide an incentive to use this focal length on the M9. Are they available locally to try out in Bangkok? The ZM21 is sharp centrally wide open and you are right, there is field curvature and as discussed on this thread in the past, the corners only catches up at f/5.6 or f/8. But I do recall you shared some ZM25 shots some time back and they all looked great! Too many choices?

May 22, 2013 at 04:40 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.696 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward,

I know that you favor the Zeiss line-up, but did you see Ron's write-up on several 21mm lenses? He compared the ZM21 to the 21 SEM and the CV 21/1.8 and the CV looked like an interesting alternative if you can put up with the size of the lens. It may be the next M-mount lens in my bag. I'll have to look at the MTFs, I didn't realize that the ZM21 performed even better in the center than the ZM25. Anway, have fun with the comparison if you end up getting the ZM21. Other folks on this thread have put it to excellent use.

Edit: Joe beat me to it

May 22, 2013 at 04:57 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.696 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Joe and Matt. Indeed the CV is an attractive option. My local supplier has it in stock so I hope he will let do a test drive with a demo sample. As for the ZM 25, it is really a perfect lens. The only reason I'm considering the 21 is that I'm not entirely sure it will be sufficiently wide for my plan to work only with 4 lenses. I'm worried I'll be loosing all the goodness of the 25 if I replace it with the ZM 21 which seems less perfect on paper, and also may have more color shift to deal with.

May 22, 2013 at 06:08 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.696 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
No, no, you misunderstand me. I am not trying to sell mine. but want to have more people with lens on this board. Since your 50lux Pre-ASPH is keeping push me to the cliff. Another wonderful set.

If you can find this cron V1 at decent price, it is a strong BUY. recommended, but not for $3000+ ebay price.

i've always been tempted by that lens, but for the ridiculous price i'd rather get a 28 cron.

with regard to 50 lux pre-asph, how do you guys feel about it stopped down to f/5.6 or smaller and landscape use?

i've been using brad's on my NEX-7 and think it's a beautiful portrait lens at large aperture but rather weak in any other capacity (nice color though). was wondering if the same was true on leica's less troublesome sensors? the 35 lux pre-asph on the other hand is a pretty all round awesome lens btw and cheaper than the michael's v1 cron for those of you experimenting with old glass.

May 22, 2013 at 07:57 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.696 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some fun test shots on my Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Classic Single Coated. Maybe they improved manufacturing QC or maybe I was lucky with my copy as it doesn't seem to exhibit significant focus shift.

On the left, dad's German toy camera. On the right, child's German Bruder Truck
Tripod mounted, no pp, exported from DNG out of camera.

@f/1.4 at approx 0.7MFD

@f/2

@f/2.8 (it really sharpens up at this aperture)

@f/4

@f/5.6

@ f/8

----
1:1 crop
@ f/1.4 (mushy?)

@f/2 (slightly better)

@f/2.8 (definitely better and it improves further at f/4)

--------
at infinity focus

1:1 crops for f/1.4, f/2. f/2.8 and f/4

------
I did not have time to carry out corner resolution test but conclusion? I'm keeping this lens . Just wanted to share these here since I don't seem to see too many pictures posted on this thread with this lens. Although f/1.4 seems really poor, it is actually about the same as the Nocti 50 f/1.0 at f/1.0.

May 23, 2013 at 01:58 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.696 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

sebboh wrote:
i've always been tempted by that lens, but for the ridiculous price i'd rather get a 28 cron.

with regard to 50 lux pre-asph, how do you guys feel about it stopped down to f/5.6 or smaller and landscape use?

i've been using brad's on my NEX-7 and think it's a beautiful portrait lens at large aperture but rather weak in any other capacity (nice color though). was wondering if the same was true on leica's less troublesome sensors? the 35 lux pre-asph on the other hand is a pretty all round awesome lens btw and cheaper than the michael's v1 cron
...Show more

Derek, Just pick one with goggle. Which should be more reasonable and just remove goggle for NEX and future FF MILC.

As for 50lux pre-ASPH, from its MTF, there is a huge dip (40lp/mm down to ground) in 15mm zone at f5.6. So, I am not surprised to hear stop down performance. Though I don't know if it is just FC or not sharp. My 50lux R at f4 behave about the same as pre-ASPH M at f5.6 (huge dip at 15mm zone), but I found it is great at f8. I'd love to know if pre-ASPH clean it up at f8. However, if MTF is right, it should be very sharp WO, more than 50lux R, which I feel it is very good.

As for 35lux pre-asph, its slow down performance shouldn't be as good as 35cron V1. but it is compatible to 35cron IV, pretty good. All above information are judged from MTF from leica pocket book

35cron V1 WO

May 23, 2013 at 03:44 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.696 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, thanks for all the comparison shots. Great information about 35 voigtlux, wonder how it compare 35lux pre-ASPH. 50mm f1?? did you just get a new lens?

May 23, 2013 at 03:46 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.696 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Some fun test shots on my Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 Classic Single Coated. Maybe they improved manufacturing QC or maybe I was lucky with my copy as it doesn't seem to exhibit significant focus shift.

----
1:1 crop
@ f/1.4 (mushy?)
http://josephow.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v48/p1822446572-5.jpg

it looks like your lens definitely displays focus shift but has focus calibrated for f/2.8. the photo above shows that you are severely front focused at f/1.4 the closer parts of the test chart on the left are considerably sharper than the focus point despite being well off center.

zhangyue wrote:
Derek, Just pick one with goggle. Which should be more reasonable and just remove goggle for NEX and future FF MILC.

As for 50lux pre-ASPH, from its MTF, there is a huge dip (40lp/mm down to ground) in 15mm zone at f5.6. So, I am not surprised to hear stop down performance. Though I don't know if it is just FC or not sharp. My 50lux R at f4 behave about the same as pre-ASPH M at f5.6 (huge dip at 15mm zone), but I found it is great at f8. I'd love to know if pre-ASPH clean it up
...Show more

michael, i've thought about the goggled ones, but they seem expensive lately too, and i think i'd rather take the lux for a slightly lower price. it's amazing for portraits at f/2 where it's bokeh smooths out (unlike the cron). much like the 50mm it has that mtf dip, i didn't find it as bothersome with the 35 though.

the 50 lux pre-asph is fairly sharp wide open in the center but with a lot of glow. i have a number of lenses that are sharper and just as fast or faster though (bear in mind i'm using it on camera that has the pixel density of 56mp FF camera). the great thing about the lens is the focus transitions are very gentle so that you don't notice them occurring on people's faces. bokeh is squirrelly but no where near as much as the sonnar and can be quite nice in certain situations. at f/8 it is usably sharp across the (aps-c) frame, but nothing i would choose to use for landscape (most of my fast normals will outperform it here). here's a sample at f/8:

shot was in the rain so not the greatest for judging (you can view it larger if you click through to flickr i think).

May 23, 2013 at 06:08 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.696 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe, the CV 1.4/35 is surprisingly good for a classic design (classic to me usually means a lot of SA, focus shift and unusable wide open )

Zhangyue, You're the master of hazy atmospheric shots. Very nice!

Derek, love the rain shot. Another atmospheric capture that would surely make Zhangyue proud

May 23, 2013 at 07:08 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.696 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

You're welcome guys! Edward, I guess you won't like this lens since you didn't really like the focus shift on the 50 1,.5 C-Sonnar

Michael, another nice one with the 35CronV1.

sebboh wrote:
it looks like your lens definitely displays focus shift but has focus calibrated for f/2.8. the photo above shows that you are severely front focused at f/1.4 the closer parts of the test chart on the left are considerably sharper than the focus point despite being well off center.

Interesting observation Derek, I didn't notice the front focus as I was preoccupied with back focus when stopped down. I expected the lens to be calibrated for optimum focus at f/1.4 since this was what I have read on Sean Reid's test and elsewhere. I'll retest again when I have some time, but nonetheless, I like this lens as an alternative to the 35Lux for the price and closer focus distance, albeit the CV 35/1.4 has quite noticeable distortion. How was the performance of your 35Lux, did it have significant focus shift?

May 23, 2013 at 01:00 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password