FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              690      
       692              1382       1383       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.691 #1 · p.691 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, superb set of pics from the museum! Love all those angles and hints of color. Yes, I probably need to make a trip up North soon BTW, not sure if the prints were Ilford GFS as those are for inkjet prints, it could well be Ilfobrom fiber if he still uses the wet process. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2006130195422907.pdf

Phil, another excellent shot with the CV21 1.8. Did you use the auto perspective control in LR5? Looks really good.

Mitch, excellent shots, #1, 3, 5 & 6 are my favorites from this set. did you consider adding vignetting or darkening the corners on #2 and 4 to reduce the grain/noise?

Charles, excellent shots, Nocti portrait is superb. Hope to see you back here soon!

Joakim, excellent shots with the 90 Elmarit.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:32 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.691 #2 · p.691 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Missed a few post,

Scott, nice day out on the 4th!
Bruno, you have really cool friends!
Edward, nice shot! I prefer one which is in between both of those? Am looking at these on a work monitor but #1 looks slightly greenish while #2 a little magenta? I do prefer the skin tones on #2.
Gary, sports on Leica M! Those looks good, #2 is excellent!

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:41 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.691 #3 · p.691 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, it's amazing that you can nail focus on moving subjects with the EVF. I tried it before with the GXR and it was a disaster.

Joe, I know what you mean, but these shots are not post processed, just using the profiles with equivalent WB settings. First is with Leica profile, second with adobe. Leica profile seems to produce nice greens while adobe produces better blues. I would love to have an in-between profile I read that the DXO profile is the best for the M9 but the price is a bit expensive.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:46 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.691 #4 · p.691 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Haven't tried the DXO software myself, but I think the Leica profile color tint seems to mimic slide film a little more than the Adobe profile? If it were me, I would probably choose #1 with the Leica profile and use the brush to lift luminance on the skin tones slightly. Sometimes I find a slight green tint on my Leica lenses, even with Adobe profiles. Best is to shoot a WB or color card but I know its troublesome.

Jul 06, 2013 at 07:55 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.691 #5 · p.691 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Yeah, shooting a color checker isn't really feasible unless shooting a series under the same lighting. I'm still looking for the best profile for the M9. I've tried a couple of custom made ones from the forums, but they didn't make sense to me even though the owners really think they're fantastic

I will give DXO a try soon and report back to the forum.

Jul 06, 2013 at 08:05 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.691 #6 · p.691 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Edward and Joe.

Edward, I definitely prefer the second one because of the green tone in the first one. Great photo btw.

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.691 #7 · p.691 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I like the second one best Edward....

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:02 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.691 #8 · p.691 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice Ron digging the 1st one

Mitch love your work, have you ever tried converting them to B and W? I bet it would really set the mood even more so, the 1st and 3rd def. are my picks

Charles nice to see you again! That no. 4 portrait is awesome!

Joakim prefer the B and W! I am always partial to B and W, even if theres a bit color

Tag last one for me, loving the 1st munching shot, surprised she lets you take a shot of her, my wife would kill me!

Cool Bruno, love the smoker, seems cool to hang with

Edwards lovely both images, but I am leaning more towards the 1st one for the softness and mood, 2nd is more natural but less moody/romantic IMO

Gary awesome soccer shots, esp with what you had to work with

Thanks Joe, yes used LR5 auto perspective, not to happy with the upper left portion of the shot, you will see the balcony pointing in a upward direction, other than that happy with it, esp w/21mm

Phil

Jul 06, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.691 #9 · p.691 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
I need your opinions here guys. This is one of the photos where the Leica and adobe profiles really make a difference. What do you guys think?...

Edward, although it's a matter of taste, I prefer the second one, which presumably is the Leica profile. So, instead of singing "Mama don't take my Kodachrome away", I'd sing, "don't take my embedded profile away." In any case, in your earlier posts I prefer your images from DNG files to your o-o-c JPGs.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvioius [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Edited on Jul 07, 2013 at 04:35 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2013 at 01:03 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.691 #10 · p.691 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

I have no idea how to use color profiles, I'm not gonna lie to anyone.
And I'm also not sure if I see the value in it. Couldn't/wouldn't you just alter the colors individually, depending on the scene?

Edward - To answer your question, I like the sky and deep sea in the first photo, the shallow water (right after the wave) and girl in the second. Merge the two together!

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.691 #11 · p.691 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you very much for your comments Joakim, Gary, Phil, Mitch and Adam. Greatly appreciated.

To be clear the first is the Leica profile, the second is adobe.

I see most lean towards the adobe profile, which is understandable because of the blue skies and water, and more pinkish/natural skin tones. In fact adobe has the merit of making nice blue skies even when they are not as nice in reality. The Leica profile looks more like the real colors I saw with my eyes, with a lot of cyan from the evening light.

I believe both are not perfect, and probably something in between would produce the best results.

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:15 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.691 #12 · p.691 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
...Mitch, wonderful series, and love the PP'ing!

Some shots from Penglai, Shandong district in China. M9P 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 24 Lux...

Charles, thanks. Great color and clarity in your Penglai shots. I've been toying with the idea of getting the Summilux-21, particularly after reading Ron's review of 21mm lenses. I have the Elmarit-21 ASPH, which I like but the Summilux-21 could be fantastic for color street photography at night. Somewhat concerned by the weight of the great chunk of glass, but I won't ask a masochist who carries that AND the Noctilux. I had the Noctilux but got tired of the difficulty of focusing at f/1.0 and the long focus throw, which was difficult for street photography.

joe88 wrote:
...Mitch, excellent shots, #1, 3, 5 & 6 are my favorites from this set. did you consider adding vignetting or darkening the corners on #2 and 4 to reduce the grain/noise?...

Thanks, Joe. Hey, it's "grain", not "noise"! No I haven't thought about vignetting: I would do that only when printing if that turns out to be an issue in a test print. However, I have a great tolerance for grain — I like the M9 at ISO 640 — and looking at these images in Lightroom at 50%, which often simulates a print, makes me think it might be okay. I'll see.

jojomon11 wrote:
...Mitch love your work, have you ever tried converting them to B and W? I bet it would really set the mood even more so, the 1st and 3rd def. are my picks...

Phil, thanks. I've been shooting mainly B&W for some years and last November got the M-Monochrom. But since buying the M9-P in mid-February, I've been so taken with the M9 colors that I haven't touched B&W. I'll go do B&W from August 20, when I going to Paris for 6 six weeks but, until then, I'll stick to color. Also, the point of this series was to explore M9 color at night, particularly by shooting at ISO 640 and "pushing" in post=processing. I'll probably post some 6-7 more color night shots tomorrow, in most of which I've tried to go further in "loosening up" on the color. If you're interested in my B&W, here is a series shot in Sri Lanka with the M-Monochrom. Also, below my signature is a download with for my book project, called Bangkok Hysteria.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria [Book project]

Edited on Jul 07, 2013 at 07:22 AM · View previous versions

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:26 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.691 #13 · p.691 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

From an evening walk tonight....

90cron pre-AA

90cron pre-AA

90cron pre-AA

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:31 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.691 #14 · p.691 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
...To be clear the first is the Leica profile, the second is adobe...The Leica profile looks more like the real colors I saw with my eyes, with a lot of cyan from the evening light...

After reading the above I looked in my Lightroom settings to see what I've been using and it's the Adobe profile, which I have liked. I'll have to try the embedded profile to see the difference, but no rush 'cause that could "take my Kodachrome away".

—Mitch/Bangkok

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:32 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.691 #15 · p.691 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, the second shot is fantastic!!!!

Mitch, that is a wise decision. Once you start comparing profiles, life becomes very complicated

Jul 07, 2013 at 04:34 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.691 #16 · p.691 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, Incredible shots from ROM, I certainly enjoy your Process and composition.
Charles, What a beautiful set of picture, make me really miss China. Penglai is very close to Qingdao, was that a business trip or just traveling? were you able to visit Qingdao?
Edward, I prefer the 1st one! It looks much more special and beautiful to my eyes. You don;t need worry about profile, your pics color look great.
Mitch, nice street set from night. They are full of life.
Gary, there is a bautiful rendering of 2nd one from 90 pre-AA set.
Phil, nice BW city series.
Ryan, Bike series really tells how each lens rendering. your gathering lens speed is almost comparable to Joe's
Peter, I prefer color set for both of them. General speaking, I prefer BW image has simple well defined content and clear geometry.

The thread became difficult to comments especially after I miss several pgs. keep them (great works) coming.

My 50lux was come back right before my next family trip to Hawaii. I test it today. It is works perfect at almost all range, they did a better job than last time. See how it last this time.
It is a great lens when it works.
All WO

Jul 07, 2013 at 05:51 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.691 #17 · p.691 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice zhangyue family series love them all

Very nice series Gary, really gorgeous colors!

Phil

Mono w/21 1.8 Ultron

Jul 07, 2013 at 06:42 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.691 #18 · p.691 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Zhangyue, thank you very much for your comments. It's interesting that color esthetic is different between Asians and Westerners. My Thai-Chinese girlfriend and my Thai friends to whom I showed the comparison prefer the Leica profile, while Westerners seem to prefer the Adobe profile.

Beautiful set of your kids by the way, very charming!

Phil, very nice, worthy of making a large print.

Jul 07, 2013 at 10:50 AM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.691 #19 · p.691 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you Peter, Joakim, Edward, Gary, Joe, Phil, Mitch, Michael, for your kind words)

Joakim, very nice set with the 90 Elmarit
TAG, nice set!
Bruno, nice capture
Edward, I prefer #2 as for skin tones I, but I would warm the tone, marginally. This is very subjective of course
Gary, sports with the M240! This was not possible 6 months ago!!!
Mitch, the older 50 Nocti f/1.0, is lighter and shorter, and fortunately my copy is well calibrated so it is very easy to focus. I have had re calibrated about 3 times to get it right. The 24 Lux is nice compromise for not being to wide, and yet fast for low light work. I feel the 21 is can be very hard to compose shots, unless you have talent of Ron

Gary, very nice evening images!
Michael, wonderful family captures! Love the 50 Lux WO. The trip to Penglai was for business, and I will returning again soon. I did not get the chance...yet to visit Qingdao.
Phil, love it...wonderful rich tones!!!

Some more shots from Penglai M9P 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 24 Lux

Jul 07, 2013 at 11:46 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.691 #20 · p.691 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary - second shot with the sun just right.. Nice.

Charles - Awesome shots from China, your shots make me want to take another trip there.

jojomon11 - Good B&W. Not a bad lens at all from what I can tell.

zhangyue - First shots great... All are good tho, as always.

Jul 07, 2013 at 03:31 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password