FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              688      
       690              2351       2352       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

muc_marlin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.689 #1 · p.689 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

ryan, very nice, the lens looks pretty good!

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:41 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.689 #2 · p.689 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Joakim, Edward, Peter, Ryan!

Ryan, excellent set with the 50/1.5 and 21/1.8.
Jonathan, nice shots.

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.689 #3 · p.689 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Joe88

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:12 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.689 #4 · p.689 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I really miss the pictures from charles.k and denoir, what happen? I hope that live is not keeping you so busy, that there is no time for photography! Looking forward to see some pics ;-)

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:38 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.689 #5 · p.689 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, joakim

Peter I know what you mean color , I need to get a M9 back in my hands

Ryan very nice portrait using the 21 it's def. a keeper lens for sure and a very good lens at that! Voight has really released some great lens lately like the 50 1.5 and 21 1.8 ultron, I would not hesitate to use them daily, have you you used it for landscapes yet? Your daughter is growing up fast! I remember when she was just a toddler a few years back!

Thanks for sharing Jonathan

Pretty sure Charles is around, he has clicked the 'like' button on many occasions , you there Charles?

Phil

Jul 05, 2013 at 10:56 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.689 #6 · p.689 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Not sure about Luka (denoir) but I think CharlesK is busy with work and possibly his Sony RX1 You can contact Charles through his facebook link or PM him. I agree, would like to see more of Luka and Charles's posts here soon.

Jul 05, 2013 at 11:06 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.689 #7 · p.689 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Phil....yep, she's growing up fast. Good thing is though, we have plenty of pics showing the progression . I haven't used them for landscape yet, but I have no doubts on how they will perform. The Nokton stopped down is about as good as a lens gets (very close to what I saw with the Lux ASPH) and the Ultron is just unreal. I would love to see an MTF chart on it and compare to the Lux

Here is one of my other favorite subjects, taken with various lenses....showing wide open rendering with each

Canon 50 f/1.5

Nikon 85 f/2

bonus Nikon shot

bonus Nikon shot #2

Voigtlander 21 Ultron

Voigtlander 35 f/1.2 Nokton II

bonus Nokton II shot

which one is your favorite? I'm partial to the Nokton

Jul 05, 2013 at 12:43 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.689 #8 · p.689 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Im liking the last one also Ryan because I can drool all over the lefty!

Nice ride, 29ner?

Phil

Jul 05, 2013 at 01:36 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.689 #9 · p.689 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

sorry for the double post, but I was curious about those two pics in b&w! What is your opinion compared to the post #13 on page 733

Thanks in advance.....

Jul 05, 2013 at 01:43 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.689 #10 · p.689 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ryan, I like the last 35/1.2 II shot. Has a nice 3Dish quality. Great shots of your kids, too! I'm sure you have a lot of great memories and photos.
Regarding the 21/1.8 vs. the 21 Lux, I wrote up a pretty extensive review/comparison.

The Lux bests the CV in having a flatter plane of focus, which results in greater background blur/subject separation towards the edges of the frame at identical focusing distance. But the CV will focus closer and give you a similar background blur quality at MFD as the Lux at 70cm MFD, but that assumes the composition will work at 50cm vs. 70cm. The Lux though does have a very wavy plane of focus and in the mid zone area suffers a fair amount when stopped down between f/2.8-5.6. Overall the CV is a great lens, just doesn't push the envelope to the same extreme as the Lux.

Have also been wondering about Charles, but have noticed his likes (thanks Charles!). I think Luka's just busy with life, having recently moved, etc.

Peter, sounds like a good plan to avoid the crowds. I think choosing to go on such a wet, murky day also really adds to the look of the place. Regarding the B&W versions, I like the first better in B&W and the second in color. The second in color because of the subtle tones in the water and foliage and the slightly lower contrast look with muted colors really seems to go with the mood of the weather

Jonathan Huynh - welcome to the thread!
Joe - that looks pretty good for such a short shutter speed.
Phil - great B&Ws! I should upgrade to LR5 just for the auto perspective correction alone. Really love the first one in the second set, of the windows!
Jonas - you're really getting a great look out of the X1.
Edward - looks really good for sooc jpeg.

On a somewhat monochrome tangent, was at the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto yesterday with a couple friends to see the Genesis exhibit by Sebastião Salgado. If anyone has the chance to see it (either in Toronto until Sept. 2, or elsewhere) - go! Awesome, impressive images! And the prints were sublime. Makes one want to go out and buy a Monochrom! (I don't think he shot these on it, or Leica, and not exactly sure what he uses).

Just a few snaps, 21 Lux:

Some images from the works at Time. The lead image of the seals was printed huge and super impressive. But it's also kind of an interesting image from a technical perspective because around 2008-2009 you can see some differences in how his images are post processed. While they still look filmic, they also have a more polished, glossy look to them, say, compared to his images in the exhibit from ~2005. While it really has no bearing on the quality of the images, I'm kind of curious when he transitioned from film to digital...

Jul 05, 2013 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joe88
• • • •
p.689 #11 · p.689 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ryan, 85/2 #4 with the handlebar is my favorite.

Peter, B&W looks great, really rich tonality. I like both color and B&W versions

Thanks Ron. That is one exhibition I'm waiting to see, hopefully it will come to Boston within next year and I don't have to travel far to see it. Nice pics of the exhibit itself, the tonality of his prints look really rich.

From this interview and elsewhere, I think he used MF Pentax 645 on some earlier pics and switches to Canon FF later on.
http://www.rom.on.ca/en/collections-research/centres-of-discovery/contemporary-culture/the-making-of-genesis-in-conversation

He supposingly edits using DXO film pack
http://www.dxo.com/intl

Funny you mentioned printing, as I am exhibiting two B&W prints (20" x 30") later this month and instead of Epson inkjet prints, I have decided to go hybrid with M9 files printed using traditional silver gelatin wet process. First time trying this out, hopefully it works out.
http://www.digitalsilverimaging.com/printing
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2019904644/big-silver-gelatin-prints?ref=live

Apparently Salgado used a similar printing process, but he first converts the digital files to medium format film and makes traditional silver gelatin prints from those negatives .http://rfman.wordpress.com/2009/05/10/an-evening-with-sebastiao-salgado/

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:41 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.689 #12 · p.689 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, did they have any platinum prints on display?

Here is an interesting video on some of Salgado's platinum prints. Gorgeous prints.
http://www.31-studio.com/platinum_printroom_sebastiao_salgado_video.html

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.689 #13 · p.689 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Peter prefer the B and W because the mood is immediate to my eyes, plus I'm a black and white shooter 90% of the time

Ron thanks for the write up between the lux and ultron, yes I highly recommend LR5 for the perspective controls hands down, it's opened up new possibilities (at least for me). Loving the 2nd shot, what do you use for software lens correction?

Phil

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:55 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.689 #14 · p.689 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Ron, did they have any platinum prints on display?

Here is an interesting video on some of Salgado's platinum prints. Gorgeous prints.
http://www.31-studio.com/platinum_printroom_sebastiao_salgado_video.html

Thanks for the link Joe! Awesome video

Phil

Jul 05, 2013 at 03:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.689 #15 · p.689 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Joe, thanks for the info & links. I should have taken a quick photo of the intro they posted to the exhibit because it stated the prints were made on Ilford Galerie, I think the Gold Fiber Silk inkjet paper. From what I could tell, none were platinum (and it would probably have been noted somewhere, and/or pretty obvious.

See, one more reason why you should come to Toronto!

Thanks Phil, glad you found my write-up to be informative! Regarding software lens correction: I use LR4.4 currently and will apply the Leica lens profile from time to time, particularly with the 21 Lux. For perspective correction I use the manual controls. I only bother with this when I think the shot looks odd without some, or full correction. It can be a bit time consuming, especially if it's a series of hand held shots.

Here are a couple shots inside the 'crystal' addition at the ROM. There are some cool perspectives and angles, but with this being my first post-reno visit (might have been there before on a school trip eons ago), it wasn't as dramatic as I expected.

First with 21 Lux and second with 28 Cron cropped a bit (was quite lucky to get the two sets of people on the stairs after waiting just ~5 minutes). The photog in the first image later asked me if I was using an M9. I didn't catch what he was using.

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:01 PM
seekuh
• •
p.689 #16 · p.689 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron, these two are outstanding! I love both of them!

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:48 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.689 #17 · p.689 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks Ron! Lovely samples also!

Phil

Mono w/CV 21 1.8 Ultron - Old Towne Temecula, Ca

Edited on Jul 06, 2013 at 02:35 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:51 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.689 #18 · p.689 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

There have been so many great shots, and with the new M240, it is hard to keep up. Ryan congrats, and great to see you back! Ron, you have many superb shots. Congrats to everyone here!!!

Phil and Joe you are both right, I have been so busy with work, I have had little opportunity to post, and I have really enjoying all the shots, and have been liking a lot of shots here I also having been toying with the idea, of holding out on the M240, as we don't have stock in Australia, and keep with the RX1, and maybe the RX1R.

I will post shortly again

Jul 05, 2013 at 08:01 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.689 #19 · p.689 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

seekuh wrote:
Ron, these two are outstanding! I love both of them!

+1

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:24 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.689 #20 · p.689 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
There have been so many great shots, and with the new M240, it is hard to keep up. Ryan congrats, and great to see you back! Ron, you have many superb shots. Congrats to everyone here!!!

Phil and Joe you are both right, I have been so busy with work, I have had little opportunity to post, and I have really enjoying all the shots, and have been liking a lot of shots here I also having been toying with the idea, of holding out on the M240, as we don't have stock in Australia, and keep with the
...Show more
Charles, Looks forward to seeing your pics

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.