Love the last on Ron!!!!!

My favorite as well!

Jul 01, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.685 #3 · p.685 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

zhangyue wrote:
VC usually has CA problem, how about this one. (I know it can be removed by LR.)

Great set of your daughter and that lens looks real good. I echo Michael's point about CA - mostly all fast CV lenses I have tried suffered greatly from this. The CV35VII f/1.2 had the same issue (but more rarely) as well. Fairly easily cleaned up in post but still troublesome. Which version of the pre-ASPH did you have? Mine is E46 and is quite sharp in the center.....

Edited on Jul 01, 2013 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:02 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.685 #4 · p.685 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I did more playing around with the CV Nokton 50 f/1.5 today.....now I'm starting to change my mind on it. Sharpness is not an issue, but I am finding many areas where the bokeh is just hard to look at. It ruins images. As Adam mentioned above, extremely close up near mfd the oof rendering is quite nice. But once you step back a few feet the background gets beyond busy. See the first two shots below, the first is near mfd, the second is back a couple feet. The third shot is also near mfd, but with a background close to the focal point. I suddenly see a 50 Cron in my future

BARF!

Jul 01, 2013 at 09:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.685 #5 · p.685 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Ryan, the only solution is the 50 Lux ASPH or 0.95 Nocti. The 50AA also looks pretty decent in the bokeh department. Unfortunately, other than Adam's trial of it, I don't think anyone here has personal experience with it.

I guess it's all subjective as I don't find the look of the CV that bad. It sits somewhere between the Lux ASPH and pre-ASPH bokeh. By the looks of it a bit closer to the pre-ASPH.

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:09 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.685 #6 · p.685 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

I don't know if this will help, but this is something I shot and posted a while ago:

Shot on the GXR, but should give some idea. The order shown above: 50 Lux ASPH, CV50 f/1.5, ZM50 Planar, CV40 f/1.4

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.685 #7 · p.685 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ah yes - that is a good comparison Ron. From what I have seen, the bokeh on the CV50 can be quite harsh at mid distances, wide open. Having said that, it seems to be an all round very sharp lens.

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.685 #8 · p.685 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
I did more playing around with the CV Nokton 50 f/1.5 today.....now I'm starting to change my mind on it. Sharpness is not an issue, but I am finding many areas where the bokeh is just hard to look at. It ruins images. As Adam mentioned above, extremely close up near mfd the oof rendering is quite nice. But once you step back a few feet the background gets beyond busy. See the first two shots below, the first is near mfd, the second is back a couple feet. The third shot is also near mfd, but with a background
...Show more

i'm afraid the 50 cron (non AA) has quite funky bokeh too.

the 50 lux pre-asph might be as sharp as the CV centrally, but it has a lot more glow and is more swirly in bokeh. does anybody have experience with the summarit?

Jul 01, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.685 #9 · p.685 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

A few from the lake....

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Canon 50/1.4 ltm

Edited on Dec 14, 2016 at 03:24 PM · View previous versions

Jul 01, 2013 at 11:23 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.685 #10 · p.685 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, those are great! Love the content and the Canon 50/1.4's rendering here, though I'm sure it will be a subjective thing.

sebboh wrote:
i'm afraid the 50 cron (non AA) has quite funky bokeh too.

the 50 lux pre-asph might be as sharp as the CV centrally, but it has a lot more glow and is more swirly in bokeh. does anybody have experience with the summarit?

I briefly tried the 50/2.5 Summarit at a Leica store a while ago. At that time I was for some reason more concerned about far distance performance and did a number of infinity shots, etc.. All I did for near distance were these two at about MFD, which is 80cm.

First is sooc but the last two I think have had some tweaks:

Not sure the last one will tell you much, but it's wide open and focused at the near end of the sign at left. Unfortunately I didn't shoot anything in the 1.5-2m range.

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.685 #11 · p.685 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

In the spirit of Gary's post, some from the French River back in late May I finally got around to processing:

50 Lux ASPH:

Canon 50/1.4 LTM:

21 Lux:

Jul 02, 2013 at 03:32 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.685 #12 · p.685 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, very good set with the second from last being my favorite.
Ron, nice set but I think the 21 Lux completely steels the show here

Jul 02, 2013 at 04:49 AM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.685 #13 · p.685 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Gary, really like the look of the Canon. 3rd one is great

Ron, the 21 Lux looks fantastic, but I also like #3 a lot. The older Canon lenses sure are a great bargain. Your 50mm comparison above is excellent. I would assume the new CV would look about the same as what you posted, with maybe a hair less fringing.

CV 50

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:09 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.685 #14 · p.685 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thank you very much Peter and Ron!

Ron, very beautiful dusk sets. Agree with others that the last image from 2nd set is really outstanding.
Rsolti, nice portraits of your daughter, and the last flowers shot is very 3D.
Gary, nice set. Love the dog portrait with shallow DOF.

Jul 02, 2013 at 07:18 AM
muc_marlin
• •
p.685 #15 · p.685 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

ron: last page post#16, very nice set, the last is my favorite! From this pape, the 21 Lux looks fantastic
Gary: the first has a great mood/look
rsolti: I really like the first one

Jul 02, 2013 at 08:08 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.685 #16 · p.685 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Ron - Last sunset shot is AWESOME!

Also, if all the summarit 50 shots turned out like that, I'd probably get one.

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:07 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.685 #17 · p.685 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

Ryan, those look good! I guess it's as you say, the lens probably handles best with near subjects and sufficient background separation.

Adam, I regret not experimenting more with the Summarit at that time because I also like the results from it. From the dozen or so images I did, it seems pretty well behaved. The big unknown for me is how it handles 1.5-3m subject distances with varying degrees of background separation. But any lens has bokeh problems at certain distances (other than maybe the 35/2 Sonnar in the RX1 ). During that particular visit to the Leica store, the salesman wanted me to try the 35/2.5 as well, but since I had the ZM35/2.8, wasn't all that interested. He was very enthusiastic about it, and in hindsight, I've seen some nice images from it as well.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised how nicely those 21 Lux shots above worked out. I also did a bunch with the 21 SEM, but they all look a lot more clinical than those from the Lux wide open. The challenge of shooting in that enclosure was that the 'windows' were all covered in screens to keep out the bugs, which of course with digital cameras, especially those without AA filters, resulted in massive moire problems. I had to shoot at either f/16 or try wide open, but if wide open, the plane of focus couldn't be near the screens. Even then there was still some moire to clean up. I think some of it might be RAW converter related and also dependent on actual slider settings. Anyway, it's a challenging shooting environment.

These were from our first day there, just having checked in and it turned out to be about the only sunlight we saw for the remainder of the stay, unfortunately. Knowing the weather might be bad in the coming days, I definitely wanted to take advantage of the last slivers of sunlight...

28 Cron at f/16. Very posed, but still nice IMO :

Canon 50/1.4 LTM. You can see it in Gary's images, and what I like about it is the smooth wash over the images at f/1.4, though details are still pretty sharp with it:

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.685 #18 · p.685 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
I briefly tried the 50/2.5 Summarit at a Leica store a while ago. At that time I was for some reason more concerned about far distance performance and did a number of infinity shots, etc.. All I did for near distance were these two at about MFD, which is 80cm.

First is sooc but the last two I think have had some tweaks:

Not sure the last one will tell you much, but it's wide open and focused at the near end of the sign at left. Unfortunately I didn't shoot anything in the 1.5-2m range.

that certainly looks better (bokeh wise) than i would expect any of the non asph 50 crons to do in the same situation. maybe the summarit would be a good choice for bokeh for those who can handle the "slow" speed. that is certainly the case for the 35mm summarit.

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.685 #19 · p.685 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks guys!

Ryan, the only solution is the 50 Lux ASPH or 0.95 Nocti. The 50AA also looks pretty decent in the bokeh department. Unfortunately, other than Adam's trial of it, I don't think anyone here has personal experience with it.

I guess it's all subjective as I don't find the look of the CV that bad. It sits somewhere between the Lux ASPH and pre-ASPH bokeh. By the looks of it a bit closer to the pre-ASPH.

Yes, tried it twice, and was suppose to send photos from the second trial, but got rained on and didn't end up taking any worthwhile photos (SORRY).
I'll try to snag it again for the wedding, although I'll probably be busy trying out a new lens or two that I've recently picked up

This time either way, you'll get some images from me, I'm dying to use the new camera... It's calling to me.

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.685 #20 · p.685 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Adam, I would agree with a lot of what you say, but the majority of where I have seen the Nokton exhibit 'busy' bokeh where the Lux ASPH would really show its true colors is the first shot above. Busy areas about 10-15 feet behind the subject. When the background is about 20 feet or greater back it is very smooth, see below...shot wide open. BUT, at 1/4th the price of the LUX Asph its a hell of a deal. The sharpness on the focus area is excellent

-------------------------------------

I did more playing around with the CV Nokton 50 f/1.5 today.....now I'm
...Show more

Sorry, I didn't mean to plant any seeds. I just had a hard time loving the lens when I owned it. Obviously if you compare it to the 50summilux-asph you're going to be disappointed (but for the price you shouldn't be). I'd sooner take the 50/2 ZM and just make due with a f/2 lens. I find that it's a great lens, and the bokeh is more manageable. If you had the money for a 50APO that'd be the way to go.. The 50cron is to close to the 50 ZM to warrant paying double the price. Although I suppose the same could be said for the 50APO (at that price, it's almost better to buy a noct, if you don't mind the weight).

Jul 02, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1       2       3              684      
       686              2351       2352       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              684      
       686              2351       2352       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.