Jun 29, 2013 at 02:57 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.683 #3 · p.683 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

muc_marlin wrote:
Ron, your deer shots are awesome!
airfrogusmc, the superman shot is cool!
jojomon11, I really like your balcony shot! The Noct and Mono are amazing, just the buggy disturbs me a bit.

Thanks and to really like the balcony shot.

Jun 29, 2013 at 02:58 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.683 #4 · p.683 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Allen and muc_marlin, wonderful comp again Allen on the daises!

Agree with you on the buggy, tried to crop it out, but didn't work, so I left it alone to show the noct rendering

I wish the base iso was much lower on the mono, I haven't tested it pushed down yet, but from my experience with the M9 pushed down, I didn't like the results

Phil

Jun 29, 2013 at 04:57 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.683 #5 · p.683 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Phil, great photo with the Noctilux and my apologies because for some reason I had managed to click the Hide Me button on you so I missed your last posts and your comments. Hopefully I haven't missed that many of them.

35 Summilux from a local bicycle race.

Jun 29, 2013 at 05:05 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.683 #6 · p.683 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

No problems joakim, I do that also for buyers that have promised payment and didn't do it on the B and S forums

Is that the Canada Nationals race? or just a local race?

Phil

Hows this for a Allen style shot?

Mono w/noct stop down

Jun 29, 2013 at 08:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.683 #7 · p.683 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Hehe, thanks Derek - I'll be sure to keep that in mind! I felt I kept a pretty reasonable distance from the beaver. I didn't want to scare him away and he seemed pretty slow and intent on chowing down on the fallen tree limbs. BTW, there was also recently something about a photographer getting rammed by a deer. I tend to keep some distance from the larger males. Video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a37_1372267114

Allen - excellent set from the celebration! My condolences to Joe... after the Leafs went out that way against Boston. I'm NOT a Leafs fan, so actually don't really care.
Phil - cool balcony shots, and really like the one of the procession!
Joakim - thanks for that one! So how did Canada fare at the race?
Thanks Peter for your comment!

Here's one with the Nikkor 10.5cm f/2.5 LTM:

Yet again, I could have benefitted a lot from live view here... basically held the camera an inch over the water and hoped the framing was OK. Of a few of them, this one worked out the best and just avoided cutting off the canoe. This effect seems to work quite nicely with a longer lens.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.683 #8 · p.683 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Love that yellow. Nicely seen.....

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:22 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.683 #9 · p.683 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Nice Phil!!!!

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.683 #10 · p.683 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

In my post p720#2, I mentioned that I like to shoot the M9 at ISO 640 when it's overcast. Last week, shooting at night, I found that I really like the M9 color rendition at night and in mixed light. While the first shot is at ISO 800 and the chicken shot is at ISO 640. All of these could have been shot at ISO 640, or at least ISO 800. My tendency to go for ISO 1250 is simply because, for street photography, I tend to go for the smallest aperture(highest f-stop) possible in situations where it may be difficult to focus accurately, either because of general darkness or because the subject is in motion. My feeling is that many people will not like the second shot because of the "grain" and the fifth one (woman with o-o-f man's back in the foreground), but I rather like them both. My favorite ones right now are the first one, the chickens the beauty parlor and the fourth one. Here is a series on which I would welcome critique, including ideas for a better title and on which pictures should be cut from this series:

Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 800 | f/2.0 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 | f/5.6 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 | f/2.8 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 | f/1.4 | 1/1500 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 | f/2.8 | 1/500 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 | f/4.8 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 | f/4.0 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 1250 | f/3.4 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

Jun 30, 2013 at 08:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joakim
• • • •
p.683 #11 · p.683 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mitch, nice set where I like #4 and #6 the most. regarding the two high ISO photos you mentioned I don't mind the grain in the first one but the second one is to grainy and flat for me.

Ron, Canada did pretty ok, 58th in his group out of 214. I've appreciated your photos with the 10.5 Nikkor, looks like a fine landscape lens as well.

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.683 #12 · p.683 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mitch Alland - As I'm looking at them, I'm thinking for the shots you took, the settings seem to be working against you. For instance, one shot mentions f/5.6 and honestly half the frame is dark, so really you could have gotten away with a f/2 exposure and you could have dropped the ISO considerably, and exposed properly since it seems you brought it up two stops in post (the grain in the images makes me think that you shot about 2 stops under and tried to bring it up, true?). I read that you said you have problems focusing in the dark, and honestly thinking back, in dark situations I'll usually either spend another second or two really trying to hit focus, or I'll take a succession of shots. You must have been shooting in really dark conditions if you felt the 5.6 was needed to maintain focus.

Shots 1, 3, 4, 7, 8 it happened that you got close on your exposure's and still maintained a very moody cinematic look, with the exception of 4 and 7, they're on the list for being acceptable (in my opinion) due to content (chicken photo, most of the frame is bright, the other I'll mention below). I feel that the 3rd one and the last one work the best for me, in giving that "gritty night market feel" Because your subjects are really illuminated (not just people, but important content like food/veggies). And there's very little grain distracting from the darker surroundings, which allows me to understand the scene better, without being distracted.

For me 2, 5, 6, 7, are really situations where unless you felt the person was going to yell at you, or stiffen up due to your presence, you could have honestly taken a few more seconds, and shot more wide open, and dropped the ISO down a bit. Again a lot of grain gives off the impression of the image being softer, so a cleaner file, would have sharpened up a little better (visually on the web).

I also mentioned 7 twice (once for content, and once for settings) because I felt you could have taken time with him, he doesn't look like he would have cared to look at you. And two, because of the framing, you could easily convert to black and white, and still get a great image, my eyes are really drawn to the subject right away, but the problem is, I'm quickly distracted by all the color noise, when I'm trying to place him (looking at the surroundings for more information about the scene). Black and white may take care of the color noise distraction.

I agree though, the M9 really happens to play well in the dark. I find my canon and nikon DSLRs really don't give me what I want (although that might be because I use more semi-automatic modes w/the DSLRs when walking around in the dark).

Admittedly one of the main reasons why I wanted the M camera so bad, was because it did better with high ISO settings. And shooting events, my mentality has shifted to making sure I get the best high ISO files possible. So anytime I see grain, I'm always correcting it (clients don't seem to like it to the point where sometimes black and white conversions are necessary).
Unfortunately these days my photographic likes and dislikes are set by my clients, and not by self-expression.

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Mitch Alland
• •
p.683 #13 · p.683 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, thanks for taking the time to comment. We agree in the sense that, as I said, I could have shot the whole series at ISO 640. But this was the first time that I was shooting with the M9 at night and, also, I wanted to see how ISO 1250 would look. Another consideration is that I had street photography in mind, for which I generally want to get a good amount of d-o-f, because I usually shoot people coming towards me while I am walking towards them. As it turned out, however, that was not what I found interesting as I walked through this street, and the subjects that interested me I photographed while standing still. Still f/2.0 for some of these subjects would give me less d-o-f than I wanted. When I have a chance, I'll go back to this street at night and see what I get shooting at ISO 640 and 800.

On shot 2, I probably had the camera set to f/5.6 because I had just turned around from another subject and wanted to press the shutter before the arms and hands of the two men moves into another pattern. You're partially right on the exposure of this shot, in that, if you image a circle around the two men, the exposure of this circle is dodged by almost two stops; but an oval of the top right area (the area with bright light) is burned in 0.4 stops — otherwise this latter area is too bright and leads the eye too quickly away from the two men. In other words, I underexposed intentionally to keep down the overly bright area in this high contrast scene. (The burning and dodging is done using the new radial filter of LR5, which provides for controlled feathering and works very well.)

On shot 7, the grain doesn't bother me perhaps because there is good contrast on the man, and I think it will look okay in a print. But, then, I don't have to deal with clients — at which point all bets would be off.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jun 30, 2013 at 01:07 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.683 #14 · p.683 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

from todays hike...all captured with M9P

watching out for wildlive!

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:07 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.683 #15 · p.683 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

muc_marlin - Wow, fantastic hike, the low clouds/fog really make the images awesome. Particularly like #3, makes me wish I hadn't prematurely sold off my 90APO (couldn't focus without difficulty, but with a M240, I think I'll want it again). And the last one was amazing, is this your dog, or a found shot?

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:39 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.683 #16 · p.683 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Mitch Alland wrote:
Adam, thanks for taking the time to comment. We agree in the sense that, as I said, I could have shot the whole series at ISO 640. But this was the first time that I was shooting with the M9 at night and, also, I wanted to see how ISO 1250 would look. Another consideration is that I had street photography in mind, for which I generally want to get a good amount of d-o-f, because I usually shoot people coming towards me while I am walking towards them. As it turned out, however, that was not what I
...Show more

Agree with your motives, I often find myself shooting @ 5.6 with moving subjects as well, just thought I'd chime in since the shots were interesting (content wise), and I really liked the thought that went into creating an overall mood. And since you wrote about your process before posting, I figured it warranted a lengthy comment since I find myself in the streets of bangkok quite often as well shooting in a more gritty dark style.
Oddly enough, I generally bring my Canon/Nikon camera with me, as I like to do video a lot while at temples etc, the monks are always doing something interesting that warrants the extra weight. NOW I can just bring the M240 Although that won't help at all with video processing (tons of Nikon and Canon footage, none of it edited into anything presentable.)

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:44 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.683 #17 · p.683 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde, thanks a lot! Yes, this Sakima my very much loved siberian husky. He just love to stare down the mountains. Very frequently he sees wildlife, therefore I have always to watch him very closely. If we are walking he is always on a leash most of the times on the summits as well.

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:50 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.683 #18 · p.683 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

btw. I am really amazed by the natural sharpness of the three lenses I have! Since I have the M9P, a couple of days, I don't sharpen the pics anymore!

Jun 30, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.683 #19 · p.683 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

muc_marlin

1st and last one are amazing. That dog looks almost like wolf. Rest is very good too. I like your way of post-process.

Jun 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.683 #20 · p.683 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

muc_marlin wrote:
btw. I am really amazed by the natural sharpness of the three lenses I have! Since I have the M9P, a couple of days, I don't sharpen the pics anymore!

M9 doesnt have AA filter so most of the time it doesnt need sharpening at all (or only very small amounts). And you have pretty much best lens possible..

Jun 30, 2013 at 04:08 PM
1       2       3              682      
       684              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              682      
       684              1380       1381       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password