Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              680      
       682              1078       1079       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.681 #1 · p.681 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, very nice color combination with light blue and strong yellow. The crow adds an interesting element to the composition. This shows that even after you broke the lux, you were still in control

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:31 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.681 #2 · p.681 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edwards, Thanks for comments.
The thread seems quieter.

50lux WO

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:29 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.681 #3 · p.681 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Michael, next time pack your camera bags on your own? Both the 90Elmarit and 50Lux shots above are really nice. I like the yellows on the first one.

There seems to be pinkish hue/layer to the M240 color which is hard to get rid off but I'm sure it will be corrected with a firmware update just like the previous Leica cameras. I've seen this light pinkish hue in my pics and also in the prototype samples from the good Dr.'s boat series and others that have been posted everywhere. Even if you look at the new Leica M catalog, you can see some slight reddish/pinkish color cast in some of Jean Gaumy's stunning pics - download the pdf at http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m_new/

My quick workaround now is to desaturate, shift hue and increase orange luminance. Seems to work as a quick fix.

Ron, I think the only way to have color and aperture consistency across the entire range of focal length is to get a set of Cine primes, but this is not practical for photography I guess.

See for instance on both of these uncorrected pics, both with the same WB. #1 is 35Cron ASPH #2 50CronV5. The 35Cron has magenta tint on the shadows and 50Cron has a greenish tint. But again, not a difficult fix in post.

Apr 18, 2013 at 05:58 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.681 #4 · p.681 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

USPS dropped off a box yesterday CV 21 1.8 Ultron. Some initial shots when I picked up my son from Pre-School this afternoon.

Seems to work great on the M240. All of these were shot at f/1.8 with a 3stop ND filter. Coded 21 Elmarit 11134 manually and doesn't look like there is noticeable color shift on the edges. I also did not need to apply lens correction in LR4 and seems to work well. Definitely a keeper lens for me!

at approx 0.7-0.9m distance

at 0.5 MFD using EVF to focus

A few more samples.

Thanks Ron

Apr 18, 2013 at 06:11 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.681 #5 · p.681 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Wow, looks like a great lens, Joe. Congratulations. I've read Ron's review and was impressed by the performance.

Apr 18, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.681 #6 · p.681 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Joe - congrats on the new lens! Seems to be a great performer. I have not noticed this pinkish hue yet but I have probably only taken 25 shots with my new camera. Must get out this weekend if the weather is good! One thing I quickly noticed with the M240 is the rather limited fast shutter speed compared to my M8. I guess I got used to shooting wide open in daylight withouth using ND filters. 1/8000 is pretty handy sometimes with fast glass....

Michael - sorry to hear about your accident. These things sometimes happen I suppose...

Apr 18, 2013 at 08:05 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.681 #7 · p.681 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
Michael, next time pack your camera bags on your own? Both the 90Elmarit and 50Lux shots above are really nice. I like the yellows on the first one.

There seems to be pinkish hue/layer to the M240 color which is hard to get rid off but I'm sure it will be corrected with a firmware update just like the previous Leica cameras. I've seen this light pinkish hue in my pics and also in the prototype samples from the good Dr.'s boat series and others that have been posted everywhere. Even if you look at the new Leica M catalog,
...Show more

Hi Joe - I see an overall difference in WB tint. For example, the sky in the 35 Cron image is more magenta and there is an overall slightly reddish cast to the image compared to the one with the 50 Cron. This is also what I see on the M9 with the 28 Cron vs. my other Leica lenses.

Glad you like the lens! As I think I commented in my 21mm shootout review, the CV21/1.8 is certainly the best value when you consider how good its performance is, and that other than the CV21/4, is the least expensive. Wide open it rivals the 21 Lux in sharpness and subject isolation while stopped down past f/4, is pretty close to the SEM and ZM21/2.8, if slightly lower in contrast. It's a good multi-purpose lens, without doubt. If I didn't already have the 21 Lux and SEM... The crazy thing is I often go out with both the Lux and SEM in the bag. In theory the CV should replace both, but I'm quite attached to the two Leica lenses, even though I could save about 90% of their cost.

Apr 18, 2013 at 09:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.681 #8 · p.681 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
In theory the CV should replace both, but I'm quite attached to the two Leica lenses, even though I could save about 90% of their cost.

Make me almost want go out and grab one You have plant the seed in my mind.

21 biogon

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.681 #9 · p.681 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sorry to hear about you 50lux Michael. Leica's service center does great work FWIW. I actually notice some purple in my blacks as well, do you notice a significant improvement with the IR filters?

It is interesting to read about lens colors casts. I had always assumed that the lens were neutral and the white balance finicky, but maybe that assumption was wrong.

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:24 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.681 #10 · p.681 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

A couple graffiti shots from lunchtime today. I tried JPG with these and it worked out very well. Live view sure helps with framing when using wider lenses. Both with M240 and 21SEM.

Apr 19, 2013 at 04:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.681 #11 · p.681 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, very nice photos! Did you use the default settings? The output surely looks quite contrasty and saturated.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:00 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.681 #12 · p.681 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Andy, I don't want start a internet rumor from here I can only say I 'feel' there is a difference. And look like we all know there is problem there. Just how much it will affect images. who knows.

Gary, I am sure 21SEM can survive the first brick wall torture. Nice color!

A BIF, the same crow. I am waiting for the moment.

Apr 19, 2013 at 05:51 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.681 #13 · p.681 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

gary, that second shot is awesome!

Apr 19, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.681 #14 · p.681 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Derek!

Edward - Yes, pretty much SOOC JPG with default settings. I should probably check what they have them set at from the factory - probably "medium" for all. I added 5 Clarity, a smidge of Vibrance (probably didn't need it), a bit of contrast, and a bumped the darks down a little. The colors were not adjusted at all. They were both taken in fairly shady dark alleys but the first one had some decent light filtering through...

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:58 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.681 #15 · p.681 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edited on Apr 20, 2013 at 03:46 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.681 #16 · p.681 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Some more with M240. Using LV with this combo is such a treat! There is a great option (if enabled) where as soon as you turn the focus ring (when in LV mode), it automatically magnifies the centre portion (5X or 10X) along with focus peaking to nail the focus. It works great once you get the hang of it.

21SEM

21SEM

35cron ASPH - out the office window

21SEM

Apr 20, 2013 at 01:52 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.681 #17 · p.681 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen, very nice set.
Gary, the M typ 240 is really working well for you. Great images.

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:23 AM
joakim
• • •
p.681 #18 · p.681 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Allen, very good set. The presence in the second one is great.

Gary, nice set. The first and last with the 21-SEM are really good, does it feel like a new lens now that you're using it on a FF?

Apr 20, 2013 at 07:55 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.681 #19 · p.681 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward and Joakim. Yes, all of my lenses now feel very different on FF (in a good way).

I am really liking the illuminated framelines with this camera. Even with darker scenes, the lines are nicely lit and well defined. It also shows just the one frameline for the lens you are using - not pairs. I had a little bit of time yesterday to try out some "higher" ISO shooting at the museum. I suppose ISO3200 is considered low these days but it is certainly up there for me. There was actually a Leica Acadamie workshop happening which was a funny coincidence. A few of them tried out my camera for a while... I would say I am quite pleased with the high ISO performance of this camera. I did not experience any banding but I also did not push the exposure in any of the images. No NR applied on these nor any color adjustments.

ISO3200 35cron ASPH

ISO2000 35cron ASPH

ISO1600 35cron ASPH

Apr 20, 2013 at 03:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.681 #20 · p.681 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, the man under modern architecture one is an awesome image.

Some form today 50cron rigid

Apr 21, 2013 at 06:58 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password