FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              678      
       680              1380       1381       end

Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.679 #1 · p.679 #1 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Interesting samples Ron. It always amazes me how much the character of a lens can change at different apertures. That lens looks like it has some neat bokeh.

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:24 AM
joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.679 #2 · p.679 #2 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Gary, don't hesitate, just buy one (or two) Its a Sonnar after all, and the best part, these are original ones, even more bragging rights than having a ZM C-Sonnar or any other Sonnars in my opinion

Actually I'm now really curious to find out more on the CZ 8.5cm f/2 Sonnars. They are all supposed to be APO design, even the prewar versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:31 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.679 #3 · p.679 #3 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron - Thanks for the heads up, I'm "working" on getting one. I'll also be paying a premium living in Singapore
I'll fill you all in closer to the wedding date. If I do end up getting the camera however, it's a wedding gift, so I won't be shooting with it till my actual wedding according to my fiance.

Living in Singapore, any old lenses I buy have to go into a dry-box, because it's so humid. And even then, they need to be sunned regularly to avoid haze/fungus. So it's really troublesome keeping old lenses. My dry-boxes are always full, and I never think to sun my lenses. I have about 15 non-professional lenses (in my secondary dry-box), and I've noticed mold (luckily not haze/fungus) on a few of them recently, so I had to take them all out, sun and clean them, and put them all back. It was a real troublesome and lengthy process. So I'm trying to refrain from buying some more cheap vintage lenses, but you guys aren't making it easy on me. Everytime I see one neat lens on here, I do a bit of research and end up wanting three or so vintage lenses.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.679 #4 · p.679 #4 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Adam, your dry boxes are not working. If you keep the humidity below 55%, it is impossible for fungus and mould to grow. I keep mine around 45% and I have yet to see any traces of fungus in any of my lenses, and there is absolutely no need whatsoever to "sun" them.

Jun 26, 2013 at 07:59 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.679 #5 · p.679 #5 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks guys.

Here's the 50 Lux ASPH, wide open, vs. the 50/1.5 Sonnar, also wide open. I think processing was pretty much identical. Lux first:

Some random shots with the Sonnar, wide open, processed to taste:

Jun 26, 2013 at 08:27 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.679 #6 · p.679 #6 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, excellent shots! I actually like the rendering and drawing style on the Sonnar compared to the 50Lux ASPH in the first two comparison shots and at least at this resolution. It looks smoother leading up from the foreground to the background, something imperfect in it but still very pleasing. I had zero interest in the ZM C-Sonnar in the past, partly due to focus shift and aslo not knowing much about the Sonnar's history, now it seems to be a must buy lens, at least as reference to the other Sonnars. I am a Sonnar addict, I am doomed huh?

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.679 #7 · p.679 #7 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward - Maybe one of them isn't functioning, but last time I checked they were working fine. They both have meters in them, and I have an independent meter that I toss in from time to time. It reads roughly the same (few % off).

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:12 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.679 #8 · p.679 #8 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

adamdewilde wrote:
Edward - Maybe one of them isn't functioning, but last time I checked they were working fine. They both have meters in them, and I have an independent meter that I toss in from time to time. It reads roughly the same (few % off).

That is a bit strange because mold is not supposed to grow in these conditions according to what I know. Maybe humidity is not the only factor for fungus growth?

PS: here's an interesting article from Zeiss website: http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/service/fungus_on_lenses.html

Jun 26, 2013 at 04:42 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.679 #9 · p.679 #9 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

M9 + Zeiss 25 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:13 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.679 #10 · p.679 #10 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Ron, I agree with Joe that the Sonnar's less "perfect" rendering has some advantages when compared to the Lux.

Here are a few images with the Canon 35 f/1.8 LTM, all shot wide open and I've been moderate with PP'ing. Far from perfect I can easily see the fun in using lenses like this. I've only used it once now but it seem to behave best at close distance. Stepped down this lens gets much sharper already at 2.8 although the corners are still soft at 5.6 but I guess for a lens like this that doesn't matter much.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

joakim
• • • •
p.679 #11 · p.679 #11 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward, that's a very nice portrait where you made good use of the focal length

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:18 PM
najibs
• • •
p.679 #12 · p.679 #12 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

FYI, for those interested I've posted some shots taken with the new Leica X Vario in here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1222779

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:20 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.679 #13 · p.679 #13 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thanks Joe. The Sonnar has a smoothness to it that is quite nice. I've noticed it can work quite well with foliage, as evidenced by the last image above, though sometimes it verges on being close to a digital-plasticky look. The Lux ASPH though is by far much sharper.

Edward - very nice! (what are the two vertical lines in the middle of the frame - wires?)

Joakim - looks great! I like the rendering of the first two in particular. Seems quite similar to the 35/2.

Thanks for the link Najibs. I happened upon it last night and like your samples. While the lens is slow and subject separation suffers as a result, the lens's background rendering is quite smooth. Perhaps smoother than many other lenses in this class and might help somewhat offset the inability to reduce depth of field. I guess it's a matter of finding the right ratio of camera to subject to background distances.

More from the Zeiss-Opton Sonnar. An image where I thought the lens rendered the lilac leaves very smoothly:

And some images showing off the Sonnar presence:

Edited on Jun 26, 2013 at 05:29 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:22 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.679 #14 · p.679 #14 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joe88 wrote:
I am enjoying my M240 today.

Joe, I am glad to hear you enjoy your M240. Because that is all that count. I am not so happy with 6D I am still trying to make it works for me as I love all the things with it but IQ. Now, all my attention is find myself next DSLR to work with before I am into M240. My m kit is not growing for a while. I know the M240 with some new M lens will be overwhelming to me.

Ron, Nice illustration of Sonnar. I seem prefer all landscape type shot by latest lens. But for portrait, that is different story. What is the difference between yours and Joe's sonnar?

Joakim, the first 28mm shot looks great.

Adam, living/school in south China for a while, I am not surprised to hear you get problem with storage of old lens.

Here are some photos with 50lux (first two) and 35cron V1:

WO at night

WO

35cron V1

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:23 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.679 #15 · p.679 #15 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

joakim wrote:
Edward, that's a very nice portrait where you made good use of the focal length

Thank you Joakim. I was surprised about the rather mild perspective up close.

By the way, I'm really out of words for the highly inspiring and top level photography in this thread. You guys all rock!

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.679 #16 · p.679 #16 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Edward, superb portrait. Such a beautiful color.
Ron, the Bokeh indeed reminde me my modern sonnar. I bet it has very poor coma performance from the look of highlight.
Joakim, the last shot is very interesting. I love the effect, the sweet point of that lens seems very small, but at this distance have that effect in 1024 size is very rare to me.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:40 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.679 #17 · p.679 #17 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Thank you very much Zhangyue. Love the portrait of your son in the last set. Light, contrast, colors and expression are all outstanding.

Here's another one from last weekend:

M9 + Zeiss 35 Biogon by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:44 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.679 #18 · p.679 #18 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Seems we all posted at similar times.

Michael, my Sonnar is a Zeiss-Opton, meaning it was made in West Germany after WWII. I'd need to research its age, perhaps based on serial number, but I guess it's from sometime in the 1950s. Joe's is a pre-WWII uncoated lens. I'm not sure if there were any significant optical changes to the design, but the major difference was the use of lens coatings after WWII. My lens has Zeiss 'T' coating, which I guess is the precursor to the current T* coatings. Looking at the optics and one would think it was a modern lens compared to some other single-coated lenses from the 50s-60s with the predominance of a single coating color, like blue or amber. To complicate matters, after WWII Zeiss-Jena in East Germany also produced Sonnars... Jena was the original home of Zeiss, but after WWII it was broken up with many of the people ending up in West Germany but the factory and machinery/tooling and some parts being taken over by the Soviets, who apparently moved a lot of that back to the USSR and was the basis for the Kiev cameras/lenses, which from my understanding, are lower-grade knockoffs of the Zeiss designs. Apparently there are also 'fake' Zeiss Sonnars, which Joe might be able to better clarify. Here's a link: http://taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Zeiss_Fakes.html

Very nice images. You seem to use the 35 Cron as your daily-use lens. I really like the second image.
Edward - looks good! I agree, this thread greatly benefits from many talented photographers.

Jun 26, 2013 at 05:46 PM
muc_marlin
• •
p.679 #19 · p.679 #19 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

It is not easy to keep up the speed with you guys...

Captured with M9P

Jun 26, 2013 at 09:48 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.679 #20 · p.679 #20 · Leica M/X/T/S/Q Picture Thread

Very nice Peter. I really like #2!

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:09 PM
       680              1380       1381       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell