Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              671      
       673              1004       1005       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

lenticular11
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.672 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Taking in the sunset in Goderich

M9 & 21 SEM:

I particularly love this 2nd one Ron, where the girl's legs mimic the angles of the posts. Favourite of your 2nd set is the first one.

More generally - re the comment on Flickr upload images sizes, I always just edit my posts and upload directly to FM - is there a drawback in doing this?

I also agree with photo comments from Edward's post on the previous page...

1. M8, Summicron 50, 1/45, f8, ISO160

2. M8, CV 35/1.4, 1/90, f5.6, ISO160: Women not really in focus, but I liked the result of this stealth shot in any case

3. The evocative Australian Kookaburra (they don't usually have a pole growing from their head).

M8 Digital Camera    f/8.0    1/500s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

M8, Summicron 50, 1/250, f4, ISO160

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:31 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.672 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Very nice set, lenticular!

Redisburning, I checked flickr and the limit is still 1024 px.

Apr 03, 2013 at 10:46 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.672 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

M9 Planar 50 ZM by edward karaa, on Flickr

M9 Planar 50 ZM by edward karaa, on Flickr

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:48 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.672 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Lovely use of DoF in the first one Edward and use of lines/angles in both

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.672 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Very nice set, lenticular!

Redisburning, I checked flickr and the limit is still 1024 px.

Yea but they started compressing files some time ago. Somewhere around 70-80% at best. I prefer 500px with 900px limit and lvl 11 compression or Tumblr, without any compression.

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:40 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.672 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Those two have a really nice feel, Edward. Again, reminds me of slide film.

rscheffler wrote:
Taking in the sunset in Goderich

M9 & 21 SEM:

lenticular11 wrote:
I particularly love this 2nd one Ron, where the girl's legs mimic the angles of the posts. Favourite of your 2nd set is the first one.

More generally - re the comment on Flickr upload images sizes, I always just edit my posts and upload directly to FM - is there a drawback in doing this?

I also agree with photo comments from Edward's post on the previous page...

Thanks very much!

I don't think there's really a downside to uploading directly, just that you have to pay an annual fee and some don't wish to do so when there are free hosting options available, such as Flickr. And with Flickr you can take advantage of the whole social-web thing if that's your cup of tea, developing connections with other photographers, building up a following, etc. I also post to Flickr, but have been a bit lazy keeping up with it. It sometimes pays off though, in that I've had serious inquiries from publications about using my photography, and who were actually willing to pay for the use. I suppose it also depends on what you want to do. Some use Flickr, etc., as a showcase of their best work. For me, it's more like a scrap album or journal, with relatively loose edits and broad variety for anyone to sift through, if they have time.

Here are some from central Goderich. Just old grungy stuff that caught my eye. This isn't really indicative of the town, just happened to be near where we parked for dinner...

M9 & 2x 28 Cron, 2x 50 Lux ASPH, 2x 21 Lux

B&W in part because of the ugly sodium vapor street lighting. I'll admit I've been happy to see some cities, such as where I live, switch back to the whiter light of mercury vapor style lighting for use in some promenade-type locations. Makes for much nicer nighttime color photography.

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:55 PM
redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.672 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Edward,

when I uploaded a 2048 picture it worked ok for me. now I dont have pro, and I still cant use the drop down share menu to get 2048, but if I go to all sizes it has 2 sizes after 1024 including the largest 2048.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:48 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.672 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Thanks very much!

I don't think there's really a downside to uploading directly, just that you have to pay an annual fee and some don't wish to do so when there are free hosting options available, such as Flickr. And with Flickr you can take advantage of the whole social-web thing if that's your cup of tea, developing connections with other photographers, building up a following, etc. I also post to Flickr, but have been a bit lazy keeping up with it. It sometimes pays off though, in that I've had serious inquiries from publications about using my photography, and who
...Show more

doesn't the FM uploader have pretty restrictive size limits? maybe things have changed since i last looked. if you're going to pay anyway, i'd just get a flickr pro account where you can upload as many images as you want at any size. i don't think they compress the original size file, just the smaller versions (i wouldn't be terribly surprised to find out there is some compression of the original size too though). i find the interface on flickr nicer than most of the photo sites i've looked at. then of course there's the advantages ron mentions i don't make any effort to get image views on flickr, but i've still sold the occasional print, licensed photos for publications and a TV show, and then there's getty's stock photo thing flickr that one may or may not want.

Apr 03, 2013 at 05:50 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.672 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I'm at least 8 pages behind on comments, so here's my quick try:

joakim: love the snow abstract great colours and use of DOF
Andrew: love all the car show stuff.
Gary: great ultra close up of the penguin
Ajay C: awesome sun beams in the B&W landscape
airfrogusmc: great candidon the bottom of page 668
Joe: congrats on the purchase and thanks for all the samples! That leaf shot with the 90AA is superb!
Edward: fabulous B&W portrait of the monk on page 668
bruniroquai: both in B&W, but I'm a little biased that way
Ron: blown away by the sunset shots, agree above that the symmetry between the legs and the posts in #2

MM + 21 Lux:

The Chase by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 35 Cron ASPH:

Unhappy by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1007083 by ryankarr, on Flickr

L1006660 by ryankarr, on Flickr

MM + 75 Lux (was going to be a 2014 purchase, but found a GREAT deal on one)

L1007006 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:20 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.672 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ryan that ain't fair bro. That is one absolutely adorable child. Great series....

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dalegaspi
• •
p.672 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
I need to stop looking at this thread. There are some wonderful images in it.

As Edward has said: Resistance is futile.

Apr 04, 2013 at 01:52 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.672 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you lenticular, Ron, and Ryan. Greatly appreciated!

Redisburning, yep I tried that but it doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe it's country specific?

Ron, very nice b/w set. My favourites are 2 and 3.

Ryan, very strong set as usual, but no. 3 and 5 are really outstanding.

Apr 04, 2013 at 07:27 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.672 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Sebboh and Ron - thanks for comments re Flickr. I actually have a Flickr Pro account, but generally found it quicker just to upload onto here directly. re FM filesize, I have been limiting 99% to the 900 pixel width limit that generally seems to be the norm on posts.

Ron - great stuff as usual. I liked the grungy side of Goderich
Ryan - how on earth do you capture so many sharp shots of your energetic little boy? Michael's two seem more 'docile'!

Now a question: those lucky people who have bought the M240 - do you see much more from it than you were getting with your M9 / 9-P?
A Steven Huff review was emphatic in extolling the M240 performance gains in colour richness/ balance, dynamic range and of course high ISO. I must say however that in some of his comparison shots I found it very hard to see some of the claims. (was browsing at lunchtime at work, so wasn't able to do a detailed appraisal).

Apr 04, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.672 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Further to the recent discussion regarding DR and processing of M240 files, user "elmars" on LUF provided the following information directly quoted from Erwin Puts:

"the theoretical dynamic range is, as I remark, grossly overvalue and in fact useless. The useful exposure range is also determined by the software in the camera. The problem is this: the software must determine what the minimum charge is of the voltage of the individual pixel to set a black level and the same goes for the white level. The exiftool analysis shows that the M9(-P) and the M both use a 14 bit depth dynamic range, that theoretically runs from 0 to 16383. The M9-P sets the black point to 44 and the saturation point to 16383. The high black point (or noise-floor) reduces the noise in dark areas, but the saturation point (max white) allows for no over-exposure. The M has values of 0 and 15000. The low black point is possible because the noise is lower and the lower saturation point allows more room for over-exposure.
In other words: with standard exposure the M fares better than the M9 because it has more over exposure latitude. You can get the same result when setting the exposure compensation of the M9 to -2/3.
I am not sure if the M has a larger dynamic range than the M9 (the Monochrom is even better and this one uses the CCD sensor too)."

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/leica-m-part-2-comparison.html

Apr 04, 2013 at 05:39 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.672 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary, That is interesting information about M9 and M240 sensor. I think no matter how many bit ADC used, or how you allocated ADC resolution in this case, the sensor was the bottle neck of the system if not capable to capture the 14 bit Dynamic range.

I feel suspicious about M9s 44-16383 number as it indicates M9 only has less than 9 bit DR to work with, which sounds very low even it is a dated sensor.

I have no doubt M240 will have better DR than M9.

More 35cron V1 with M3 film

Apr 04, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.672 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Nice detail in that first pic Michael! Do you do your own scanning?

Apr 04, 2013 at 11:27 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.672 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Nice detail in that first pic Michael! Do you do your own scanning?

It was a low resolution scan from local lab about 1800x1200. But I guess it is enough for 1024 web presentation.

Apr 05, 2013 at 04:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.672 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

According to theSuede here, The Sony RX-1 is really only about 10.8 bits. Apparently the difference between that and 14 bits is insignificant, visually.

Somewhere else recently, I read, I think again from theSuede, that 10 bits seems to be a kind of 'tipping' point.

Ryan - great set and the first one in particular is excellent! Who says you must have AF to photograph active kids?
Michael - like the last one.

Did an event at the local university and got to hang out in the faculty club afterwards. Unfortunately they closed at 8pm and I couldn't wait longer for the outside exposure value to drop more to better match that of the interior. I had to dig the foreground out of the shadows instead.

M9 & 50 Lux ASPH:

28 Cron:

A few shots from the event... nothing fancy or special, other than I was once again really impressed by the 21 SEM. Images have a great sharpness and roundness at the same time. If I was shooting with my Canon 16-35 I'd be bothered by how soft it gets towards the edges. No such concern with the SEM. It just looks natural. It's also reasonably flare resistant with strong light sources in the frame.

For example, here's the venue and set-up (21 Lux wide open):

This is a difficult venue to light. Long, narrow, non-neutral color scheme (not ideal for bouncing light off walls/ceiling), few good spots for light stands without also being tripping hazards, and very few power outlets. I set up a couple Elinchrom Quadra packs and heads in 86" Paul Buff PLM soft silver umbrellas. This gave a rather tight ~30 degree light spread, but worked well here to shoot the light down the hall. On 13' light stands, this tight beam also served to shoot much of the light over and just feathering enough on those positioned nearby so that near-to-far light falloff was only around 1.5 stops, or so. Because I wasn't just after the podium shot and needed to get a lot of candids, I set up a third light at the opposite end in a 64" soft silver PLM for cross lighting to allow me more options when not shooting with the main lights. But it was also inevitable the lights would get in some of the shots. At its peak, the event was well attended, which meant lots of fairly tight clusters of people, with tables and chairs in the way, which made the 21 pretty invaluable...

Here's shooting down the hall with the light from the main lights and the third light in the background. The SEM handled the strong backlighting really nicely...

And just a few more examples with the SEM:

Looking at the 21 Lux shot, available light would have been an option at times, and I did in fact shoot some with the Canon and 70-200 for tight shots, but the light quality and intensity was quite variable and I really prefer shooting with strobes for the much better color quality and greater consistency in post (which saves some time too).

Anyway, kind of boring stuff - guys in suits - but at the same time was a fun event with interesting people (not uncommon in a university environment). It pays the bills and is an excuse to use the M9 some more.

Apr 05, 2013 at 07:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.672 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Zhangyue, very nice b/w work.

Ron, very interesting to read about your lighting technique. Love the faculty club portraits. Lighting and colors are fabulous. The event shots are very nicely executed. you added art to documentary. Also I'm still amazed at your ability to frame the 21 without viewfinder

Apr 05, 2013 at 08:25 AM
JustinZ850

p.672 #20 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Weather hasn't been so good in Hong Kong, hopefully it improves for my last few days here.

Something I never thought I would do, use a flash in the street.

M9, 35 cron, and SF24D....gonna try out the the M6 with the 21 voigtlander and flash tonight.

Which Way by JustinZ850, on Flickr

On the Head by JustinZ850, on Flickr

Apr 05, 2013 at 09:39 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password