Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              622      
       624              1041       1042       end

Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

joakim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.623 #1 · p.623 #1 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, that temple looked much larger in the first photo
Gary, it doesn't look as cold as your earlier photos now.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM
denoir
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.623 #2 · p.623 #2 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thanks Edward, Joakim & Paul

Edward, I really like the shot with the kid running in front of the temple - very nice composition with the different scales (kid/temple/skyscraper).
Joakim, nice moody shots - they pretty much capture the mood of Sweden this time of year

I saw you are selling some lenses, I hope you're just downsizing your kit.

Just trimming my kit as I have a pile of lenses that I don't use. So I'll sell off most of my Canon AF lenses and one or two Zeiss ZE's that I never use. From my Leica kit, I'll sell my ZM25 (great lens, but having to switch external viewfinders between it and the ZM18 is a bit too much), the ZM 50/1.5 (I have a 50 Lux ASPH) and 90 Cron VIII (I have a 90 Cron ASPH now). I might also get rid of my 75 Cron ASPH. I know a lot of people really love that lens, but despite giving it every chance, I have never really loved its rendering. So in practice I usually choose a 50 or 90.

Anyway, a cleanup has been long overdue as I've just bought more and more lenses without ever selling any.

Toothwalker wrote:
Nice compositions, but I find the artifacts disconcerting. Particularly the blue halo around the metal part of the buoy in the first image.

Hmm, you are right. I did just some quick and dirty PP without looking at the details. I think it might be a combination of the clarity slider in Ligthroom and oversharpening.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
JonasY
• •
p.623 #3 · p.623 #3 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Leica X1, Elmarit 24/2.8 @ 2.8

Edward, the shot with the kid in front of the temple is really great

denoir, lovely colors. Seriously cold here in Stockholm today, my battery survived about 45 min ... but my hands weren't lasting any longer anyway. (And if the apartments here weren't so damn expensive, I could afford a M-system again...)

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:23 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.623 #4 · p.623 #4 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Luka and Jonas, many thanks for your comments.

Joakim, you're absolutely right. That's because the second shot, though taken with the 18, has been cropped by more than 50% since I wanted to take an in camera perspective corrected shot. I would guess the actual FL to be around 50mm.

Jonas, love the frozen bicycle shot

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:57 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.623 #5 · p.623 #5 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Really nice work everyone. What a great way to wake up in the morning. Inspiring images and coffee it doesn't get a whole lot better. Thank you Jonas, Glen, Ron, denoir, Edward and joakim

Jan 19, 2013 at 04:30 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.623 #6 · p.623 #6 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Cheers Allen

A few more from today with the 18/4:

M9 - ZM 18/4 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jan 19, 2013 at 05:23 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.623 #7 · p.623 #7 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Ron, There is no comparison, M9. But that is most come from field of view
Luka, Nice images as always. You show up less and less often here, now. you starting sell your unused lens which you mention several times but never get them going. Looks like your better half really make a difference

Jonas, Beautiful lighting.
Edwards, Nice color and clarity.

Here are two from 50cron random shots around.

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:09 PM
AshNZ
• •
p.623 #8 · p.623 #8 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

One dusty camera

Jan 19, 2013 at 06:40 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.623 #9 · p.623 #9 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Love the silhouettes in #2.

MM + 35 Cron.

L1003376 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.623 #10 · p.623 #10 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Neat picture Ryan!

Jan 20, 2013 at 05:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

charles.K
• • • •
p.623 #11 · p.623 #11 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I have not much chance to get out for shoots, and so somewhat of a catch up

P621:
Michael, wonderful colour in shots from Qingdao
wstam, love the B&W shots of the bikes
Allen, very cool abstract capture!

p622:
Very nice set, Michael!
Allen, love this abstract composition.
Ryan, congrats on the 35 Cron Nice shot!
Edward, wonderful series of shot!
Ron, definitely the M9 I have been concentrating somewhat on the RX1 lately, but it is no replacement for the M9/M-M
Luka, great to see your shots here. Great stuff

P623:
Jonas, excellent shot of the frozen bike!
Edward, great set of shots with 18/4. Love this perspective with your shots and PP'ing
Michael, very nice silhouette of the tree.
Ash, love the composition of the last shot!
Ryan, very neat capture!!

Shot from this weekend, of Marisa with M-M, 50 Lux 5000 ISO pushed +1 stop

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.623 #12 · p.623 #12 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

rscheffler wrote:
Seems the 35 Cron, in whatever flavour you prefer, seems to be becoming popular around here? Sure makes a nice walk around lens, Gary. Not missing your CV35 f/1.2?

Nope - not really missing the CV35 at all. I really liked the lens a lot but it was just too big for me. I tried to just ignore the size but it is so much bigger compared to my other 35's. I ended up selling the CV and the ZM35C and just buying the 35cron. I really like this lens a lot - great all around performer.

Nice portrait Charles!

Jan 20, 2013 at 03:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.623 #13 · p.623 #13 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you zhangyue and Charles!

Zhangyue, the first shot is very compositionally and tonality wise.
AshNZ, I like the color shot.
Charles, nice portrait of your GF

Jan 20, 2013 at 04:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.623 #14 · p.623 #14 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

ryankarr wrote:
Love the silhouettes in #2.

MM + 35 Cron.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8397505206_d12627af49_c.jpg

Fabulous, Ryan.

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:12 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.623 #15 · p.623 #15 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

I had my old 50 Summicron collapsible CLA'd and de-hazed, and it is quickly turning into the only lens that I'm using, these days. I've been surprised by the resolution, and I really like the contrast and tonality. Sure, the resolution doesn't compete with my 50 Summicron V as you get towards the edges at wider apertures, but it really hasn't been an issue for me, and the tiny size of the lens is fantastic.

Here is a quickie test shot I did today at f2 and mfd on the M9 (sorry for blowing out the backside of the flower.) I think the resolution is certainly acceptable for such an old lens, and it has some nice swirl.

full image:

100% crop:

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.623 #16 · p.623 #16 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Yep - sure looks to be a great performer Douglas. Looks to have slightly more "jittery" bokeh than version V - correct? Where did you get the CLA done?

Jan 20, 2013 at 06:34 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.623 #17 · p.623 #17 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:
Yep - sure looks to be a great performer Douglas. Looks to have slightly more "jittery" bokeh than version V - correct? Where did you get the CLA done?

Hi, Gary. I'm not sure that I'd call the bokeh more jittery, but definitely more "swirly," since there is more field curvature and coma, although I haven't done any stringent tests or anything. I tend to like swirl in a lens wide open, and I like how it makes the DOF look more shallow. I've read that many feel that the collapsible has the best bokeh of the 50 Summicrons, but who knows?? It does have more aperture blades and a rounder aperture than my version V, so maybe stopping down a little is a different ballgame.

Apparently, this lens is also highly color corrected, compared to other Summicrons. While not quite an APO, Brian Sweeney says that it is achromatic and great for color, although most who use it tend to shoot B&W, it seems.

There seems to be very mixed opinions on the 50 collapsible on the web, so I was unsure about how it would perform. Most say that the 50 Rigid is much sharper, while others claim their 50 Collapsible is very sharp. Outside of sample variation, I have a feeling that much of the resolution criticism has come from lenses that aren't calibrated and/or have too much haze in the lens. The resolution seems good enough, to me, and I can always break out the version V if I need a flatter field at wider apertures.

Flare is also often a complaint with this lens, but I haven't had much issue with that, yet. My front coating looks pretty good, so maybe I'm lucky there. Again, it may just be because so many have haze inside, and that is pretty easily cleanable. The contrast certainly is tangibly lower than the version V.

I just love how the lens collapses to about the size of a 35 Summicron IV, and it is built like a tank. My only little handling complaints would probably be the 1m mfd and the longer focus through, but not too big of a deal. Really cool little lens for only a few hundred bucks. I should mention that my copy doesn't have the radioactive elements, and the front coating is purple. It's even possible that mine was recoated at some point, but I have no idea.

p.s. I got the CLA done by Steve's Camera in Culver City, CA.

Jan 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.623 #18 · p.623 #18 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Thank you Edward
Doug, very nice shot, and love the rendering with this 50 Cron collapsible!! The old lenses really have a magic which sometimes is lost with the uber sharp lenses now

Jan 21, 2013 at 01:02 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.623 #19 · p.623 #19 · Leica M/X/T Picture Thread

Great stuff EVERYONE

A few from earlier today

From yesterday

Jan 21, 2013 at 02:06 AM
edwin_sn
• • •