Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              619      
       621              940       941       end

Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.620 #1 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

M9 - ZM 35/2 by edward karaa, on Flickr

Jan 13, 2013 at 05:58 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.620 #2 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Jan 13, 2013 at 06:17 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.620 #3 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Good stuff everyone!!!!!

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:03 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.620 #4 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, I really like the goat and roofline images above! Your images from Lebanon are also very well done, both the city/landscape shots and those of your family. It's very interesting to see daily life there, as typically all one hears about Lebanon in the media is related to armed conflicts, so I must admit my perception is quite skewed. Great to see it's quite different from that perception. And as Joe commented, there does seem to be some wealth there!

Sorry for the extended absence guys... just been busy and trying to fit in time to review the Voigtlander 21/1.8, process the images and write it all up! And so many posts since my last here, therefore sorry for not commenting on those.

So, about the Voigtlander 21/1.8.... here's the link to the review on my site: http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?page_id=130

For those interested in comparison images from the four lenses, full resolution download links are towards the bottom of the page. For those not inclined to read thousands of words (I've included a few photos to break the monotony ), there is a brief 'executive summary' at the beginning.

Overall, after only one week of use (so take it with a grain of salt, I suppose) my feeling is the new Voigtlander 21/1.8 is an excellent value and is quite close to the two Leica 21s. When there is a difference in favor of the Leicas, it's generally not by much.

Will I be selling my 21 Lux? I'm not inclined to do so just yet, but the same can be said for the Voigtlander. I'm pleasantly surprised with it and would like to get to know it better before deciding whether or not to let it go. On the chopping block though is the ZM21...

And because I know Joe wants to know.... No, the 21/1.8 is not as good at blurring backgrounds as the 21 Lux, but is a bit better than the ZM21/2.8. Because the 21/1.8 can focus to 50cm, if done so, background blur will be as much, if not slightly more, than the 21 Lux focused to its minimum focusing distance of 70cm. While it might be obvious that an f/1.8 lens won't blur the background as much as an f/1.4 lens, it's not quite that simple. There isn't all that much of a difference between the two when comparing background blur in the center of the frame. But, as one moves towards the edges/corner, the difference between the two becomes quite apparent. This is due to differences in field curvature characteristics. The 21 Lux has a pretty flat plane of focus. Actually, if something is in focus at the center of the frame, if it's parallel to the sensor plane and extends to the edge of the image, that edge area will also be in focus, at f/1.4, which is pretty impressive. The 21/1.8 on the other hand, performs similarly to many rangefinder wides. It has field curvature that bends away from the camera towards infinity, progressively from the center of the frame to the corners. What this means is out of focus elements towards the edges and corners are not blurred to the same degree as the 21 Lux because they're not as far away from the plane of focus. Another difference is that the 21/1.8 exhibits greater edge definition in out of focus areas, whereas the 21 Lux shares Summilux bokeh characteristics: neutral gaussian blur, or at least as well as a 21mm lens can create such neutral blur. Out of focus edge definition is not as distinct, resulting in an impression of greater, smoother blur.

There was also the question of whether the ZM21/2.8 compares favorably against the 21 SEM... Stopped down beyond f/5.6 it's difficult to notice much difference in sharpness. Where there might be some difference is in rendering. i.e. Zeiss-style vs. Leica-style, but I didn't really test to compare this (and how would one do so 'correctly' anyway?

This test also confirmed by belief that the 21 Lux is best used at f/1.4-2.0 and f/8-11. For certain applications where non-central image sharpness is required, or if placing the main subject off center in the f/2-8-5.6 range, it's outclassed by the other lenses, especially the 21/1.8 and 21 SEM. It would not be a good choice for 'landscape' work at middle apertures. In light of this, if you need a fast 21mm, but also want one that works 'normally' at middle apertures for off center details that you need properly sharp, then the 21/1.8 is the one to get. Otherwise, the best combo is the 21 Lux and 21 SEM, but at nearly 10x greater cost. In any case, no one lens is clearly superior over the others. Each has class leading aspects and the one that's right for you will depend on what features you value most.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I missed any points you'd like covered in the review.

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:29 AM
charles.K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.620 #5 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Edward, wonderful series of holiday shots!! Very nice ongoing series from Bangkok.
Paul, nice set! Favourite is the last shot
wstam, very nice street captures!!
Gary, excellent snow series. I am really love the rendering with the Nikkor 10.5cm
Michael, love that first shot from Suzhou Nice family portraits too.
Ron, wow... great review, and it is so comprehensive. Thanks for sharing

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:49 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.620 #6 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, great review! I can see you put lots of effort. love those pics.

I will for sure remember use your link if I decide to go CV or SEM

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:05 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.620 #7 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, great review! Didn't make me feel buyers remorse about my recent 21 lux purchase, so that's a plus.

MM + Noct, wide open:

Awesome new shirt by ryankarr, on Flickr

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:16 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.620 #8 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Wstam, Very nice photos, the cafe and the street shot in b/w.
Gary, 1, 3 and 4 are outstanding.
Zhangyue, beautiful colors, tones and expressions.
Ryan, the portrait above is really lovely. Love the tonality and dimensionality.

Thanks for the comments on my shots Ron and Charles.

Ron, I have to admit that it is how Lebanon is viewed in the media. Of course medias need conflict to present a newsworthy story. Not denying there is always some kind of conflict brewing at any time in my country, but on the other hand, we are life loving extravagant mediterranean characters who love money spending and having fun.

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:29 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.620 #9 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Jan 14, 2013 at 02:30 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.620 #10 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron - thank you so much for your detailed review. You put a lot of effort into this and it is much appreciated. The CV21/1.8 looks to be a pretty good performer but I don't think I really need the speed in that FL. I look forward to your postings in the future with it....

Jan 14, 2013 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ocean2059
• • •
p.620 #11 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, really enjoy reading your write-up for the 21mm comparison. Thank you very much.

Speaking of 21mm focal length, I recently got hold of a copy of Konica-M dual focal length 21-35/3.4-4. I have not used much but my initial impression was very positive. Here are few snaps that I just took (21mm for the first two then 35mm). I coded the lens using 28 Elmarit.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM
joakim
• • •
p.620 #12 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, a both excellent and interesting review.
Ryan, fun and good portrait.
Edward, I like the goat and also the last one in the latest set.

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.620 #13 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

That Konica-M is a really neat looking lens. I have not heard of it before... Very pricey too!

Jan 14, 2013 at 08:53 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.620 #14 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks guys!

C.D., wow, the 21/35 - very cool! It's a lens I've always been curious about. The images from it look good!
Edward, nice set, like the last one a lot.
Ryan, nice portrait. I agree - I also don't have buyer's remorse now that the 21/1.8 is out. Looking back at how I've used the Lux, there were many times when f/1.4 was needed to attain a reasonable hand holdable shutter speed, or for reasonable ability to freeze subject motion. The 21 Lux still has advantages, but I have to admit, the CV impressed me a lot.

Gary - I agree - it's impossible to beat the 21 SEM for across the frame sharpness.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:04 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.620 #15 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Michael, Charles, Edward for the earlier comments

Edwin, nice shot with the CV15!
Michael, those ZM21 shots look good. The 2nd shot is excellent, really nice. The 35Cron V1 seems to have some magic dust inside? Love the rendering and sharpness on those shots considering its age. The 50Lux set is also excellent.
Edward, really nice shots of Lebanon. Colors and contrast superb! The Bangkok shots are also very nice, love that portrait and goat shot!
wstam, nice bike and coffee shot
Paul, very nice Chile set. #2 is my favorite.
lenticular, I like the classic rendering on the CV35/1.4. Nice.
Gary, interesting lens! Nice set.
Ryan, nice shots with the MM and 0.95. What a combo!
CD, excellent samples of the Konica lens. Quite rare to see pics posted.

Ron, wow, thanks for the detailed review. Superb read and I probably need to re-read it again to catch it all! Most review sites are really technical with poor photography or too wordy (and BS) with nice pics but with not enough technical information. I really like how you combine technical info with great photography samples, quite rare. I think you should write more reviews Really appreciate your points coming from your pro perspective. Can't wait for more sample shots with the CV21 1.8, especially wide open

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:36 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.620 #16 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Ron, Joakim, Joe, thank you!

Jan 15, 2013 at 01:11 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.620 #17 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

some of you might have seen it posted elsewhere, samples from a prototype M240
photos filename starting with "Lxxx" are from the M240

..although the file sizes are small and you can't really tell.
http://www.saildragonfly.com/PhotoGalleries/sailing-photos-january2013/index.html

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:13 PM
joakim
• • •
p.620 #18 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Thanks Joe. The photos didn't tell me much but it's nice to see some more examples on the net and hopefully we'll see some reviews soon.

Jan 15, 2013 at 03:04 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • •
p.620 #19 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Killer work everyone. You all rock

Jan 15, 2013 at 05:35 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.620 #20 · Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

thanks for all the comments.